• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB said:
God help me. Wasn't $130 enough last time!?

This is not the year to have over priced LE's. Since I have gotten every single LE since H2, I would love to get it for Reach but no way at that price. I'm hoping the price is false but of course, when MS says they don't comment on rumors, it usually turns out to be true. :(

SpudBud said:
You guys and your crazy weapon names.
Nerfle is entirely appropriate.

Needle%20Rifle%20Small.jpg

EazyB

Banned
Good job on the OP.

2 more weeks.

$150 :lol

I guess MS's learned that a certain population of the Halo fanbase will spend anything if there's a spartan slapped on the side. Fuck that. I just hope the in-game armor isn't exclusive to a retail packaging and that it can be earned in game.

big ander said:
Basically, it's much better than the 3 BR, from preview info.
I don't know if this is really true.

I think Bungie set out to make it more situational and thus less flexible than the BR, and particularly to nerf it versus the AR or even the magnum at close range.

On the other hand, the combination of the blooming reticle, hitscan accuracy, and decreased autoaim from 3 means it will be a more challenging, and likely a more satisfying, weapon for veterans than the BR was.

Really, we know more about the philosophy behind it than we do its exact usefulness. Have we even heard how its time to kill compares to that of the Halo 3 BR, or to the other "standard" weapons in Reach? Remains to be seen just how quickly it can take someone down either at its optimal range or closer-to.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DualX said:
You know what, you're right. I would have had a better debate against a brick wall especially when your agrument is essentially Opinion > All.

wat.
The system has been in a multitude of other PC FPS games before it made it to the BattleField series. It is sort of the default spawn system for big objective gametypes. Since Halo finally has a big objective gametype, it made sense to introduce that spawn system.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hrm...I want impressions on the Warthog gunner overheating, but nothing yet.

Guess the time it takes to overheat and the cool down are not so bad. :D

bobs99 ... said:
$130 was already too much.

Its pretty bad if the Legendary edition has a unique peice of armour, if Bungie goes down the stupid route of locking pre-made in game content I will be shocked. I just dont expect that from them.

The Sarge Johnson thing for ODST was different as it didnt cost extra.
Don't be, they don't make these kinds of marketing decisions. You know who's behind it.

150 lol, my cousin owns the cat helmet and while it looks nice even he agrees it was a waste of money. I use to own the tin for halo 3 but the way the discs were held in (shitty) and the tin itself (thin shit bent on day 1 at the store) I am only interested in the regular edition.

Toddler

GhaleonEB said:
Feel free. My only request is that you rehost the images, otherwise, use as much or as little as you'd like. And thanks for asking. :)
Re-hosting images and such is no problem. I appreciate it, thanks.

Spasm

big ander said:
For that, I'll have to find you during the beta and baconate you.
I've always called these types of weapons 'the Shaft.' Long live QW!

Edit: \/ \/ \/ Actually, I agreed with you... Sadly.

Noooooooes, being the Halo whore I am I probably would buy the most expensive edition, sigh. I'm especially a sucker for ingame items, it doesn't feel like a complete game to me if I miss something which other people have.

The Lamonster said:
The question is: Will the DMR+plasma pistol still be called the Noob Combo?
I never understood why the PP+BR user was called that...

Seems to me the recipient of said combo is a noob for failed avoidance tactics.

Merguson

Banned
godhandiscen said:
The system has been in a multitude of other PC FPS games before it made it to the BattleField series. It is sort of the default spawn system for big objective gametypes. Since Halo finally has a big objective gametype, it made sense to introduce that spawn system.

Lunchbox said:
lolololollol

Instead of pointing out that he's simply wrong, how about you list some examples for those who have never really been into PC FPS games.

Just saying, it's just annoying when people don't list examples to show why.

JesseZao

Cuban Legend said:
I never understood why the PP+BR user was called that...

Seems to me the recipient of said combo is a noob for failed avoidance tactics.

You cannot avoid that which follows you to your death.

Personally, I liked the PP+melee better :D

Prophet Steve said:
Noooooooes, being the Halo whore I am I probably would buy the most expensive edition, sigh. I'm especially a sucker for ingame items, it doesn't feel like a complete game to me if I miss something which other people have.

See thats the thing, in my opinion in game content which comes on the disk shouldnt require me to pay more to unlock. If that armour isnt obtainable in game I will be really shocked.

Im not going to pay 150 quid for a single video game, no matter how much time I plan on putting into it. Im going to get the map packs day one though, and that alone will cost a lot.

I'm not surprised by the $150, just saddened.
And I'll probably still get it if the Dev Commentary/Something of Equivalent Awesomeness is exclusive to the Legendary Bundle.

Waiting for the Mythic Bundle announcement 0_0.

kuYuri

big ander said:
Just so you know, the DMR kills in just about the same number of shots as the BR and is hitscan. Basically, it's much better than the 3 BR, from preview info. The spread and travel time with the BR make it difficult to succeed with past mid-range, and the spread makes it variable at mid-range even.
I think the Donger sounds awesome.

It's like you didn't even read my post...

SpudBud

Zeouterlimits said:
Waiting for the Mythic Bundle announcement 0_0.
I'd totally buy one if it came with a suit of armor made out of cheap cardboard and a coupon for a tramp stamp that says "I <3 Bungie."

big ander

Shake Appeal said:
I don't know if this is really true.

I think Bungie set out to make it more situational and thus less flexible than the BR, and particularly to nerf it versus the AR or even the magnum at close range.

On the other hand, the combination of the blooming reticle, hitscan accuracy, and decreased autoaim from 3 means it will be a more challenging, and likely a more satisfying, weapon for veterans than the BR was.

Really, we know more about the philosophy behind it than we do its exact usefulness. Have we even heard how its time to kill compares to that of the Halo 3 BR, or to the other "standard" weapons in Reach? Remains to be seen just how quickly it can take someone down either at its optimal range or closer-to.
Fair analysis. I was wearing hype goggles.

As you said, the DMR seems like it will reward players who really learn how to use it well. I think I'm excited because the DMR sounds like a weapon I'll be able to be good with a time goes on.

But the Br will likely be more versatile. Which is why the DMR/AR loadout looks sweet. Best of both worlds.

Cuban Legend said:
Touche'

I'm speaking in H3 terms though, much easier to dodge. H2 terms shouldn't apply considering it's offline and said noob combo is now useless.
Did you miss something or are you just rubbing it in?

Definity

Will Bungie be sending out a percentage of friend and family invites to random players? IIRC they did the same thing with the H3 beta?
If not, what type of sacrifice does one need to make?

GhaleonEB

Random small detail that I thought was worth pointing out:

An example of that level of polish: during a game of Headhunter, someone noticed that skulls dropped inside the scoring area simply disappeared. That was a conscious decision, as it became a popular strategy to simply wait in the box and kill those trying to score. As we played, we were talked through many of these tiny tweaks that made the gameplay smoother, and kept the competition heavy but fair. These things may seem idiosyncratic at first, but it became clear that every decision was made to keep the game as balanced as possible. It's an impressive amount of care.
I was thinking it would be the moving depositories alone that prevented camping, but it would happen between moves. So that's a welcome touch: camping is worthless in Headhunter.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Merguson said:
Instead of pointing out that he's simply wrong, how about you list some examples for those who have never really been into PC FPS games.

Just saying, it's just annoying when people don't list examples to show why.
I was not being a prick. You are asking me to really go back in time, but IIRC The original Operation Flashpoint used your teammates as respawn points, and that was about 10 years ago. All I wanted to make clear is that Bungie didn't join the BFBC2 bandwagon, that respawn option is just a gameplay decision, which makes a lot of sense given the gametype.

Hopefully the Legendary edition is worth its price.

ShinAmano

Came to post in the 'Holy shit I can't wait for the beta...why did it have to come out so close to Super SF4 thread'.

Can't wait to see you guys on.

Gamertag: ShinAmano

Sai-kun

Banned
Awesome thread! *sets down all his stuff* Looks like I'll be living here for awhile. :lol

Boneyard looks insaaaane! God I'm so freakin excited to play this game. :lol Hypehypehype.

SpudBud

Sai-kun said:
Awesome thread! *sets down all his stuff* Looks like I'll be living here for awhile. :lol

Boneyard looks insaaaane! God I'm so freakin excited to play this game. :lol Hypehypehype.
300y0bs.jpg

I have to say this is pretty frighting.

Top Bottom