• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

GhaleonEB

minasodaboy said:
seriously, how does one get into the customs? the halogaf tag?
On Saturday night, I check to see if anyone on my friend list is in a Halo 3 custom game. If so, I join (or beg to be invited, party settings dependent). As was said, just add some GAFers to your friend list.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks for the customs tonight, guys.

Next week or a few days after I think it will be hard to go back to Halo 3. I remember after the Halo 3 Beta, I had a really hard time going back to Halo 2.
You killed me a lot in that map.

Was it you or vhfive who had a shotgun and could not, for the life of them, kill me with it in the center chamber place?

Oozer3993

So I've been toying with an Arena rating formula for CTF for a little while and today finally got around to coding something up to test it out. This is what I came up with:

Code:
slayerd = ((kills - flagKills) + assists + 1.3 * flagKills)/(.5 * (deaths + 2 * betrayals) + .1);
slayer = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(slayerd)) * 7);

// Second, it calculates the flag portion, which maxes out at 1370.

flagd = (Math.abs((flagCaps - betrayals) + (0.7 * flagSteals) + (0.3 * flagCarrierKills) + (0.5 * flagTouches)))/((0.3 * betrayals) + .01);
flag = (int) (Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(flagd)) * 15.2222);

// Adjust for instances where the players team won, but the player focused more on slaying.
// The player would have still helped his team win, so his rating is given a slight bump,
// proportional to the margin of victory.

if (teamCaps > opCaps && flag < 1100)
{
	slayer = slayer + ((teamCaps - opCaps) * 70);
}

// Finally, add them up.

rating = (int) (slayer + flag);

Some insight into just what-in-the-Sam-hell I was thinking:

• Flag caps need to have a heavy weighting, but there needs to be a penalty should some one try to exploit that and betray their team mate to score the flag.
  • Just going around slaying won't directly help your team capture a flag, but having members of the other team dead a lot does help. So if a player's team wins, but he didn't directly contribute to the flag captures or the defense of the flag, but he did a good job killing the other team, he'll be given a boost to reflect this.
  • "Math.atan" is the arctan AKA the inverse tangent and its addition is, as you may have guessed, a nod to the podcast. It intrigued me and I started thinking about why the Arena rating would include it. My educated guess was that it can be used as a kind of ceiling function which would give the rating a hard maximum. It reaches a maximum of 90 (if using degrees) or pi/2 if using radians (I used degrees cause the number's bigger lol). Inside the arctan I used a fraction with good stuff on top and bad stuff on the bottom so that the arctan would be big when the good stuff outweighed the bad stuff.
  • The maximum of the formula is 2000, which, I think, is the max of the normal Arena rating.
  • This was coded up in Java, just in case you were wondering.

P.S. Sorry about bailing on customs tonight. I got disconnected from the game and then my sister took over the room.

vhfive

Hydranockz said:
You killed me a lot in that map.

Was it you or vhfive who had a shotgun and could not, for the life of them, kill me with it in the center chamber place?
definitely me. damn you euros and your lag
had fun especially the 4v4 games (the way halo is meant to be played). It might also be because I had Tashi on my team and we won every time. :p

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hey You said:
I wonder whats in store for us next week on the Reach News front.

Brian said in here that next week Urk will be giving us the Arena scoring formula but other than that who knows. I am excited to see what it is though. :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Roche178 said:
And Brian said sites would be allowed to show video of Reach next week.

Ah very true, anyone remember what was the date on the video embargo? It is several pages back now
or even in the other thread entirely

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's interesting Oozer. However I think individually scoring a CTF game is an effort in futility. I'm not trying to knock you or anything but in a 4v4 flag there, there are roles on the team. How would you award the guy blocking spawns by standing in 1 spot, throwing grenades in another to block those spawns all while shooting enemies while they spawn? That guy doing all of those things is insanely important. I'm actually really really interested in the Arena formula Bungie has. I'm still a little skeptical even though Luke tells me I shouldn't. I know I'm going to try my hardest to exploit the formula :lol This whole idea of scoring players individually in team games just doesn't sit well with me. We'll see though, I hope I'm wrong.

Oozer, I do however want to wrap an interface around your formula so I can just punch in the numbers and test it out on some 4v4 MLG.

Also, good games to everyone I played with tonight. I had some good fun
destroying all who opposed me :p
Also, I went no scoping on a mongoose again. I got a few headshots, too lazy to clip them out though lol.

Ten-Song

ghostmind said:
GB studio footage, with some Halo2... stuff that i didn't see during the live event.

But the real question is... does it feature the Deadly Premonition whistling theme in the footage?

Lazslo

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks for the customs tonight, guys.
In the Thanks video, if you look close the first dude you ran over, Me:Laszlo, I throw a Tripmine right before you slam me to ragdoll. So close.
Roche178 said:
Good games tonight guy, I couldn't render this clip but I figured I'd post it anyway.
Impossible betrayal
Well played sir.
Oozer3993 said:
So I've been toying with an Arena rating formula for CTF for a little while and today finally got around to coding something up to test it out. This is what I came up with
This looks amazing. Caveat: I took one semester of CS so I might not be reading this right. It would be great if we got the code straight from the froman's mouth.
Also after customs I'm bumping the Gaf Montage, it's still doning.

Also, just to keep it somewhat relevant, here's the HaloGaf Podcast Intro list. If we at least get one on there, it will be awesome. Believe.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ten-Song said:
But the real question is... does it feature the Deadly Premonition whistling theme in the footage?
Unfortunately is doesn't have that or Dave's Halo Blues song.

Still quite funny though.

Hey You

Not a Jellyfish said:
Ah very true, anyone remember what was the date on the video embargo? It is several pages back now
or even in the other thread entirely
April 26th. Tomorrow (Monday).

wwm0nkey

Hey kind of off topic here, but did anyone else notice the Marathon shirt in the vidoc didnt seem to say Durandal, or Trinity at the bottom of it. :D

Omiee

i dont know if this is the place for it, but since i dont play my 360 that much i dont have many friends on it, i do realy wanna play this game in a party etc so if anybody would want to add me or something my gamertag is BigOmiee.

cant wait to play this

snack

Omiee said:
i dont know if this is the place for it, but since i dont play my 360 that much i dont have many friends on it, i do realy wanna play this game in a party etc so if anybody would want to add me or something my gamertag is BigOmiee.

cant wait to play this

I'll add you.

I'm "The Japanator".

I could have jumped in for about an hour before going into work, but I saw that it was an even 5v5 and didn't want to throw off the balance with my crazy skillz. So i just did a couple of games of BTB, got frustrated with the bumper jumper setup, and switched back to boxer.

Lunchbox said:
Fix your avatar junior -

Bungieware
(Today, 09:29 PM)
Reply | Quote

10riqvs.png

Lunchbox is a Man U fan!??

Boyonbeachfistpump.gif

Ah man I keep missing out on Gaf customs :(

One sainted day when I am both not working on Sunday (and so can feasibly play videogames until 3 or 4 in the morning) and not drinking on Saturday, I will play HaloGAF customs.

But this mythical confluence may never occur.

bobs99 ... said:
Lunchbox is a Man U fan!??

Boyonbeachfistpump.gif

Ah man I keep missing out on Gaf customs :(

We can't be friends any more. That 'shop is a travesty :(

edit: As part of the things-to-do-before-Reach list: I want to hit 50 in MLG. Currently stuck at 47 :/

Lunchbox said:
Fix your avatar junior -

Bungieware
(Today, 09:29 PM)
Reply | Quote

10riqvs.png

£700 mil debt doesn't buy you the best left sided player in the country. I say country, but in all honestly what are the odds of a Man Utd fan being English, let alone from or having ever been to Manchester.

Tashi0106 said:
Also, good games to everyone I played with tonight. I had some good fun
being on the same team as gabotron15 and theefore breaking the game
Also, I went no scoping on a mongoose again. I got a few headshots, too lazy to clip them out though lol.
Fixed to reflect the truth of the matter.

JMizzlin

Dani said:
Where's my Reach videos from the future?
Australia

For us in Australia it's the other way around. My Reach videos are in the past, and it is incredibly annoying.

As it is, the beta is already being released at roughly 3am on a Work night, meaning no download/play til the evening of May 4th.

Bungieware said:
£700 mil debt doesn't buy you the best left sided player in the country. I say country, but in all honestly what are the odds of a Man Utd fan being English, let alone from or having ever been to Manchester.

:lol Thats the stuff! :bow

Bungieware said:

Oi, I take offence to that, being a Man U fan living in London :lol

Anyway, I dont want to derail HaloGaf too much with football talk. My goal for Halo 3 is getting 5K EXP, but theres no way in hell im getting anywhere close to that :(

So yeah, I was watching the vidoc again (for the 500th time), and noticed that when rolling Elites lose theyre reticule. At 3.35 the Elite gets a VERY lucky headshot because of this.

I somehow think that the reticule being visible the whole time would be better, as people could roll and actually line up a shot. If that sounds a little overpowered just dont tell Sage, he'll nerf it!

bobs99 ... said:
So yeah, I was watching the vidoc again (for the 500th time), and noticed that when rolling Elites lose theyre reticule. At 3.35 the Elite gets a VERY lucky headshot because of this.

I somehow think that the reticule being visible the whole time would be better, as people could roll and actually line up a shot. If that sounds a little overpowered just dont tell Sage, he'll nerf it!
Noscopes are already OP and you want it even easier? :lol

EuropeOG said:
Does anyone know if "Race" mode is going to be in the beta?

In the ViDoc they mention Race.
It's been confirmed that it will not be in the beta.

Protip: F5 first, then reply if nobody else has.

Top Bottom