• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Letters said:
And since we're in the mood, what happened to the water?

from
http://i44.tinypic.com/34ql253.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/t8vksg.jpg[IMG]

to
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/k3alva.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/aljbyo.jpg[IMG]

:(

It still looks ok, but it's disappointing that it doesn't react nicely to objects/players/explosions anymore.[/QUOTE]

For as nice as the Halo 3 water looked, it was fairly useless in the scheme of things. I'd much rather they put their time and (the 360s) resources toward more useful or at least more obvious things. Such as the much higher detail in just about everything and the bitchin' particle effects

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
randomlyrossy said:
For as nice as the Halo 3 water looked, it was fairly useless in the scheme of things. I'd much rather they put their time and (the 360s) resources toward more useful or at least more obvious things. Such as the much higher detail in just about everything and the bitchin' particle effects

This.

Striker

Where I the find water to look its greatest in 3 is in maps where the water is merely there for looks, rather than in the middle of the gameplay (Last Resort and High Ground).

Powerhouse has it a bit different, obviously.

feel

randomlyrossy said:
This is true. That reacting water must've been a huge hog, getting rid of it probably freed up lots of resources for other things. Still a shame, playing around with the water in Valhalla was cool.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Still... why can't we look through the sights on some guns?

Also, why is there no animation from gun to zooming in (c'mon, it just turns into a circle on the screen)? I was hoping they would fix little things like these.

Anyway, the Vidoc got me hyped for the Beta, can't wait to try it.

Letters said:
And since we're in the mood, what happened to the water?

from
34ql253.jpg

t8vksg.jpg

to
k3alva.jpg

aljbyo.jpg

:(

It still looks ok, but it's disappointing that it doesn't react nicely to objects/players/explosions anymore.

This kind of disappoints me :( Whilst I understand certain things always have to be scaled back during development, I think Bungie are guilty of this a little too often. Especially when it's stuff shown in vidocs, images, talked about on podcasts, in the BWU, thrown in our faces, etc... I know the PR line of "nothing from the beta set in stone blah blah subject to change blah" about covers it...

But, well, in your own words: Don't make a girl a promise... If you know you can't keep it.

EuropeOG said:

Also, why is there no animation from gun to zooming in (c'mon, it just turns into a circle on the screen)? I was hoping they would fix little things like these.

Um.......

This is Halo, if you want that go play CoD or Battlefield.

big ander

EuropeOG said:

What guns would you want to use sights for? A needler? That wouldn't work very well, would it? Halo doesn't need sights for the guns that don't have it. And zooming in doesn't need to have an animation. Fictionally, we just see the zoom the way it is because it's linked into our HUD. But I don't really see the need for the animation anyway.

Those facets are small and not extremely significant, but they're part of Halo, and asking Bungie to change those is fairly unimportant, to me.

EDIT: Slash what Arab said.

derFeef

CrazedArabMan said:
Um.......

This is Halo, if you want that go play CoD or Battlefield.
If I am not mistaken, arent the Spartans, or their hud in the helmets, somehow directly linked to the wepon sights?

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not seeing a difference in the water...it looks to me like the angle and the distance explain the decrease in wave reactions. We'll soon enough in person. :D

Are we going to shoot each other in that other Halo game today?
Same; not seeing a difference.

*taps foot while waiting for an opening in customs*

derFeef said:
If I am not mistaken, arent the Spartans, or their hud in the helmets, somehow directly linked to the wepon sights?
Yup. "Smart-linked."

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Bungieware said:
This kind of disappoints me :( Whilst I understand certain things always have to be scaled back during development, I think Bungie are guilty of this a little too often. Especially when it's stuff shown in vidocs, images, talked about on podcasts, in the BWU, thrown in our faces, etc... I know the PR line of "nothing from the beta set in stone blah blah subject to change blah" about covers it...

But, well, in your own words: Don't make a girl a promise... If you know you can't keep it.
:lol

It's the exact same water.

i just watched all 4 parts of "the return" on waypoint and i have to say, great job by by 343. if that is the direction (storytelling-wise) that the halo universe is going in, then i'm on board. from the waypoint 'title screen' music (which is really great) to the all of the other content on there, the universe is certainly in capable hands. now if they can take some great storytelling AND produce a good game, well then, color me intrigued.

for customs, who do i message/FR?

rac

Banned
Is anyone willing to send me their legendary 59.99 order number so I can give it to the fine folks at amazon? They said they need to confirm with someone else's order # before they change the price of mine. Completely understand if no one wants to though.
I'm doomed.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Blood said:
http://files.bungie.org/beorn_ranks/General_G4.png[/IMG
The match to get it was a doosey.[/QUOTE]
:lol

stephen08

Mayyhem said:
Urk, what happens when someone quits/lags out in Reach (In terms of punishment)? Particularly in the Arena

This is something I also care a fair bit about. So annoying when you have a nice competitive game going, someone quits out and it becomes a total wash for one side or the other.

Magni

Good games with everyone this morning (yes I'm on the other side of the pond..), sorry to those who kept talking to me and who I couldn't hear (NOKYARD when I was driving you for example). It was helping that there was quite a bit of background noise on that Sandbox map :lol

And now, bedtime!

RefigeKru

Banned
The Beta vidoc actually killed some of my hype. I'm confused.

For a little context, nothing really wowed me or made me got hype like the Halo 3 beta vid, I watched that like 37 times. And was it just me, or was almost everyone in that video incredibly annoying? I think I just want some straight gameplay videos.

feel

RefigeKru said:
The Beta vidoc actually killed some of my hype. I'm confused.

For a little context, nothing really wowed me or made me got hype like the Halo 3 beta vid, I watched that like 37 times. And was it just me, or was almost everyone in that video incredibly annoying? I think I just want some straight gameplay videos.
Probably it, lots of my friends who are not familiar with Bungie staff were also turned off by it, then they watched this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCxS0VKZ9g and liked it so much more.

noisome07

Banned
holy fuck, i love you guys :lol

I ordered it when it was 60$ and it got canceled, like everyone else. Well, sent off ONE e-mail and they're honoring the price, YES!

rac

Banned
noisome07 said:
holy fuck, i love you guys :lol

I ordered it when it was 60$ and it got canceled, like everyone else. Well, sent off ONE e-mail and they're honoring the price, YES!
Would you mind sending me your order number? Over the phone they say that I need an order number for them to honor my price. They assured me that they won't cancel anyone else's order.

kylej

Banned
EazyB said:
Won 9 of 13 TS games today and my rank didn't budge. What's the current rate for Tashi boosting these days?

Took me 160 wins to go up 4 ranks. My friend made new accounts when he played with me because the two of us were dragging in disproportionately low teammates compared to the people on the other team. I'm talking like, two grade 3 colonels on our team and we had to play 3 50s and a 48 alt account every game. It was insane. I think the "hidden trueskill" you get from shitting on kids non-stop in BTB and Social forces matchmaking to give you shitty teammates, and the exp you have makes it harder to rank up. It's lose-lose. It's bullshit that I had to play with a new account solely to even out the skill of the teams.

Are you playing by yourself? I went from 48 to 50 in TS by myself and I'm about to hit 50 in Doubles by myself. I find it much easier than playing with people.

Oozer3993

RefigeKru said:
Muuuuch better.

I really want to play the beta but I'd need a wireless adaptor for my friend's 360, which I'd be borrowing. I'm too poor for that. ;/

You can use a laptop as a DIY wireless adapter. It's how I roll.

Dirtbag

ToyMachine228 said:
That favorite weapons thread just reminded me...Does anyone know if there's any Gauss Hogs in the beta? Oh God I'd shoot in my pants.

Not in the beta, and not confirmed to exist at all in Reach at this point.
From the earlier leaks we heard about a rockethog with a longer pause between shots.
Might be their attempt at balancing the Gauss Hog. Also the Gauss hog didn't appear until Halo 2, so fictionally they could dump the overpowered beast without any cause for concern to fiction nerds.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
RefigeKru said:
Tell me more.

Hook up an ethernet cable from your laptop to your 360 and bridge the wireless connection to the local area network connection (highlight both in manage networks and right click and select bridge connection).

Dirtbag said:
Not in the beta, and not confirmed to exist at all in Reach at this point.
From the earlier leaks we heard about a rockethog with a longer pause between shots.
Might be their attempt at balancing the Gauss Hog. Also the Gauss hog didn't appear until Halo 2, so fictionally they could dump the overpowered beast without any cause for concern to fiction nerds.

I really hope not. I love the Gauss Hog. I don't think it's that overpowered because it wasn't on a whole lot of maps and gametypes. And when it was around in Halo 3, there were tons of other vehicles along with it so it wasn't just dominating. God damn I love the Gauss Hog. And the turrets. I love everything about it.

Oozer3993

RefigeKru said:
Tell me more.

Connect the Xbox and the laptop via Ethernet. On the laptop, for Windows XP:

1. Go to Network Connections (right click on a network connection in the Task bar or get to it through the Control Panel.
2. Right click on the connection that connects you to the internet.
3. Click on the Advanced Tab.
4. Under Internet Connection Sharing, make sure the box that says "Allow other machines to access the internet through this computer's connection" is checked.

For Windows 7:

1. Open the Control Panel and go to Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center
2. Click on the connection that connects you to the internet.
3. Click Properties, then go to the Sharing tab.
4. Make sure both boxes are checked (though I think only the first 1 is necessary).

I'm not sure for Vista, but it should be similar to Windows 7. I've been able to use 2 different laptops with those 2 OSes to connect to Live with my 360 in the 4 1/2 years I've had it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Oozer3993 said:
I'm not sure for Vista, but it should be similar to Windows 7. I've been able to use 2 different laptops with those 2 OSes to connect to Live with my 360 in the 4 1/2 years I've had it.

On Vista I usually go to:

(1) Start
(2) Network
(3) Network and Sharing Center
(4) Manage Network Connections
(5) Highlight both the wireless and local area connection and right click and select "bridge connections"

There may be a more efficient way to do it in Vista, but that's how I've always done it. I never tried it in XP so I can't compare and Windows 7...

I really need to get Windows 7.

Kapura

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I don't think it's that overpowered because it wasn't on a whole lot of maps and gametypes.
What a terrible, terrible argument. That's like saying "I don't a kid playing with a loaded handgun is a problem, because not many of them do it."

EazyB

Banned
kylej said:
Are you playing by yourself? I went from 48 to 50 in TS by myself and I'm about to hit 50 in Doubles by myself. I find it much easier than playing with people.
Yeah, I'm going it alone. I think I if I can keep up this w/l ratio I may be able to crack 50 eventually. I'm getting alright teammates and can carry when necessary. My loses today came from:

Shit teammate
Game lagged out 2 teammates right at the beginning

And the other two loses were more legit.

It'll give me something to do over the summer while I wait for Reach.

zumphry

Banned
EazyB said:
It'll give me something to do over the summer while I wait for Reach.

You know that gives me an idea for a competition after the Reach beta ends. It might sound a bit stupid, but what about one where we try to make goals for Halo 3 (rank, kills, medals, achievements, craziest kills imaginable, etc.) until Reach. Kinda like Dani's competition with the stunt courses.

Probably will get lost in the thread, but it's just a suggestion.

big ander

minasodaboy said:
seriously, how does one get into the customs? the halogaf tag?
The HaloGaf tag helps, but all you really need is a couple people on you list who are from GAF. Check this thread, too. You can add me if you'd like, although I don't get on every week. My gamertag is the same as my gaf name.

Good idea Zayne. I'll have to come up with some goals.

Sai-kun

Banned
ZayneH said:
You know that gives me an idea for a competition after the Reach beta ends. It might sound a bit stupid, but what about one where we try to make goals for Halo 3 (rank, kills, medals, achievements, craziest kills imaginable, etc.) until Reach. Kinda like Dani's competition with the stunt courses.

Probably will get lost in the thread, but it's just a suggestion.

I wanna be a Brig :(

Top Bottom