• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Cuban Legend said:
May I see a source indicating they are implementing ssao?

Maybe you just confused well placed prebaked shadows for ssao? Not to undermine the game engine and it's capabilities... I just haven't read ssao being referenced regarding Reach.

The latest Digital Foundry article about the beta ViDoc.

Also apparent is the inclusion of screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO), though its impact is subtle.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-haloreach-beta-analysis-blog-entry

metareferential said:
Knowing that MP does not have any sort of anti-aliasing, it's a really clean-looking game.
If it really is 720p, and the motion blur is well-implemented, and there is some sort of other edge blur (likely), that all helps with crispness.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
MNC said:
So with Armor Lock, do you completely not take any damage? And you can stay in it until a meter drains, or can you stay in the position forever?

No damage, and it eventually drains out.

danwarb

Cuban Legend said:
May I see a source indicating they are implementing ssao?

Maybe you just confused well placed prebaked shadows for ssao? Not to undermine the game engine and it's capabilities... I just haven't read ssao being referenced regarding Reach.
Apparently it's in, see all dynamic objects.

It was mentioned in a recent weekly update that ambient occlusion wouldn't make the beta?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You guys almost filled up that Beta GT in one night. :lol

I'll post it up again later tonight along with the second GT - I think it will be needed. Maybe more.

Still haven't watched all the videos, got a few more to enjoy today.

danwarb said:
Apparently it's in, see all dynamic objects.

It was mentioned in a recent weekly update that ambient occlusion wouldn't make the beta?
The easiest way to tel is by looking at a volume of grass in a moving camera shot.

I thought I had seen ssao in Reach in some of those shots but i never could tell for sure. I'd definitely like to see where they mentioned it , and if they haven't... then go ahead and cover it in the next ViDoc or something. SSAO is a huge step forward if it's subtle and not as noticeable like in GoW2.

chapel

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Flag juggling IS CTF Halo. It will be sorely missed in normal matchmaking conditions.
You only think you will miss it. It is a psychological thing, when it isn't there, you really won't miss it. I enjoy the change, and MLG or whoever can change it as they see fit.

Cuban Legend said:
The easiest way to tel is by looking at a volume of grass in a moving camera shot.

I thought I had seen ssao in Reach in some of those shots but i never could tell for sure. I'd definitely like to see where they mentioned it , and if they haven't... then go ahead and cover it in the next ViDoc or something. SSAO is a huge step forward if it's subtle and not as noticeable like in GoW2.

You may have missed this: first post on the page xD

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-haloreach-beta-analysis-blog-entry

EDIT: link fixed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ten-Song said:
Well, has anyone done anything to make sure it's not filled up with lurkers and that the people added are actual posters?
By anyone, you mean me, right?

I gave priority to known HaloGAFers, but there's too many to try to individually vet. It will all work out, come the Beta folks will have plenty of people to play with.

You can also send them a quick message too before you invite them to your game. =)

NameGenerated said:
Does anyone know about turning off some of the announcer's voice stuff. Things like "Revenge!" and "Close call!" seem like they'd get old fast. Maybe the "Charlie under attack!" things too.

It does seem a bit much. It's not so bad with "Payback" and suchlike in MW2, as it's not very intrusive, but having such generic stuff announced could get annoying very quickly.

Ten-Song

Photolysis said:
It does seem a bit much. It's not so bad with "Payback" and suchlike in MW2, as it's not very intrusive, but having such generic stuff announced could get annoying very quickly.

Well, it's better than having a person randomly explode into money I suppose. :/

remz

Ten-Song said:
Well, it's better than having a person randomly explode into money I suppose. :/
Haha I remember all the confusion about that shit around MW2 lauch, had a friend tell em it was because he kept nailing those "money shots" :lol

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
As someone who lost nearly all interest in the game when Halo 3 hit (and I played the shit out of Halo:CE and Halo 2,) I am pretty damn pleased with all these changes. It sounds pretty damn great.

G_Berry

Banned
I hope they fixed the matchmaking for non US players. 300+ ping? no thanks.

If it's ANYTHING like Halo 3 it's getting traded in. I have never been so stressed in a game before in my life. (MW2 comes close)

GhaleonEB said:
The DMR can fire pretty quick, you just need to space the shots for its maximum range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUv98eWVnL0#t=1m18s

He gets of four shots in about one and a half seconds. Over long range ("cross mapping"), you need to be more methodical.

Edit: hadn't noticed this before. Apologies if old. Ammo rack, complete with waypoint indicator when you're near it:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2h8cy1x.jpg[/IM[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I had noticed that. Pretty cool.

G_Berry said:

If it's ANYTHING like Halo 3 it's getting traded in. I have never been so stressed in a game before in my life. (MW2 comes close)

They've done a lot of work on making things better for those of us outside the US. One of the key things is the adaptive database that uses IP addresses/geolocation to predict the quality of games.

Of course, I don't know how effective it is in practice yet.

Apath

remz said:
Haha I remember all the confusion about that shit around MW2 lauch, had a friend tell em it was because he kept nailing those "money shots" :lol
My friends told me the game knew I was Jewish =[

I noticed some SSAO a while back but wastn sure if it was going to be in the final beta/game. I really hope its more noticeable during campaign though.

The elite clearly has SSAO while the picture on the left doesnt.
2.jpg

I have some other pics where you can point out the SSAO but it could be confused for being baked, however, in this picture its obvious SSAO... They letters may not be in the game but they were rendered in the engine.

7.jpg

EDIT: from all the recent footage IMO its too subtle. It would look better if it were used a bit more heavy handed but they are obviously going for clarity throughout the game. I really hope they use it heavily in the campaign, it has so much potential.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
G_Berry said:

Your connection must be really bad. I've been playing for years against US players and it's far from unplayable.

It's been good enough also for the millions of other non US players.

Reach should benefit from a few years of optimisation but it won't suddenly fix bad connections or install cross-continental fibre optics.

derFeef

dilatedmuscle said:
The elite clearly has SSAO while the picture on the left doesnt.
2.jpg

SSAO does affect the whole scene, not individual objects as far as I know and I can not see any SSAO in that shot (maybe it is too small). Look at the picture here, it shows the sublte shadows beneath objects, in corners and so on.

Daigoro

Deputy Moonman said:
Welcome home!

thanks!

Xamdou said:
I signed in a couple of months ago as well, and my entire record for Halo 2 and 3 were practically erased.

I vowed never to play a Halo game again.

well that sucks.

anyone know whats up with borked Bungie net stats or how to fix em?

please thanks.

Dani said:
Your connection must be really bad. I've been playing for years against US players and it's far from unplayable.

Reach should benefit from a few years of optimisation but it won't suddenly fix bad connections or install cross-continental fibre optics.

It depends at what level you're playing at. At high levels of play (say Team Slayer verses legit 50s for example), you get the shit kicked out of you if it's a transatlantic game and the folks on the other side have host. 100ms becomes a massive advantage. It also stops you from pulling off tight shots through narrow gaps as well as the shots won't count.

Likewise packet loss becomes a huge factor as well.

For those who don't play at a high level, it's fairly unnoticeable because players' reaction times and accuracy are far lower. But the more accurate you are, and the faster your reflexes, the more the game becomes unplayable.

I personally know plenty of decent players who got annoyed with the problems in H3's matchmaking and gave up. It's also likely one of the main reasons why US players outnumber those in Europe by about 5-6x as well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There's an unwritten
and fake
rule that says being outside of the US takes ten levels away from your highest Skill Rank in Halo 3.

derFeef said:
SSAO does affect the whole scene, not individual objects as far as I know and I can not see any SSAO in that shot (maybe it is too small). Look at the picture here, it shows the sublte shadows beneath objects, in corners and so on.

Yeah, i know what you mean, its coz the pic is too small. If you watch the vidoc 720p you can see the SSAO along the edges of the building in the background and you can see the SSAO changing accordingly as the elite moves.

In this pic its a bit easier to see.

1.jpg

Dani said:

they whole point is it shouldn't match non-us players with us players. there are plenty of people australia for the game to match me with yet 9/10 times i'd be stuck with an american host (which while still playable makes the game much much less fun to play).

derFeef

dilatedmuscle said:
Yeah, i know what you mean, its coz the pic is too small. If you watch the vidoc 720p you can see the SSAO along the edges of the building in the background and you can see the SSAO changing accordingly as the elite moves.

In this pic its a bit easier to see.
Much better to see in that pic, yes. Very nice and subtle. SSAO adds so much depth to the the whole scene.

danwarb

From the Bungie weekly update:
And since we’re still all kinds of work in progress, it also means that in the most recent batch of screenshots, and in the Public Beta, you might come across a few rough edges here and there. For example, in current builds there’s a subtle application of Ambient Occlusion being layered into the scene that adds a nice touch of depth into each map’s nooks and crannies, but it’s not something that made the grade in time for the Beta or for our recent batch of screenshots.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_041610

Gui_PT

I still think the wraith closing up would be an awesome feature =P

Anyone know what time are we getting the live action commercial today?

Pennybags

Gui_PT said:
I still think the wraith closing up would be an awesome feature =P

Anyone know what time are we getting the live action commercial today?

The 60 second version is supposed to air during "V" tonight. The extended version goes up the following day on Xbox Live.

Edit: "The short will premiere in the UK following the Champions League semi-final between Lyon and Bayern Munich this Tuesday 27th April on Sky Sports 2."

Gui_PT

I just woke up, still in zombie mode.

So it is coming out today. Thanks :D

Make the wraiths close up for protection bungie!

Wizman23

Banned
So last week we got official word on all the sku's, this week we get a commercial. My guess is the next big announcement is the release date. 9/25/07 was announced on day 1 of the Halo 3 beta, but most people didn't even notice because they were raging over the Crackdown debacle. At least this time around if there is a problem we will be stuck in ODST's menu with Marty music and not that god awful song in the Crackdown menu.

broony

Kibbles said:
It's supposed to go up at 9PM PST tonight.

Yeah I think it's suposed to be on after the champions league match tonight in the UK on Sky Sports. So should be about 9.45 - 10.00 pm GMT.

Photolysis said:
For those who don't play at a high level, it's fairly unnoticeable because players' reaction times and accuracy are far lower. But the more accurate you are, and the faster your reflexes, the more the game becomes unplayable.
I don't think people realize just how much damage 100-200ms of latency can do to your game, and I reckon that's my ping most of the time. I would lop off a pinkie finger in exchange for Bungie revealing what numerical values the "connection bars" correspond to, but I think it's a Microsoft directive to hide the information from players, because even PC-centric developers like Valve do it for their 360 ports.

People think that just because their bars are green and they aren't warping around or seeing obvious "lag" that the game is fair, and it really isn't. A fifth of a second is a nightmare disadvantage.

But I'd also miss playing with Americans, especially since so many of my XBL friends are from there.

Gui_PT

broony said:
Yeah I think it's suposed to be on after the champions league match tonight in the UK on Sky Sports. So should be about 9.45 - 10.00 pm GMT.

Damn, I used to have that channel, I have to go look for it

Silly.Mikey said:
Do we know if there will be more armor abilities in the full game or is this it?

Someone posted an image that said there will be more AA's in the full game

broony said:

So we get to see it earlier?

Tonight 9pm PST is tomorrow morning GMT.

Top Bottom