• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Shake Appeal said:
I would lop off a pinkie finger in exchange for Bungie revealing what numerical values the "connection bars" correspond to

Ah, that I can answer. Unfortunately I can't update my networking thread on Bungie.net so I'll have to add this in when I make v3, whenever I get around to that.

The bars on the scoreboard are based on 3 variables regarding your connection to the host: round trip time (RTT), packet loss, and bandwidth. These are then broken up in to 6 categories, and the lowest score is the one shown on the scoreboard.

For example, for a good host in the US, I'll probably get 6 bars for bandwidth, 6 bars for packet loss, and 5 for the RTT giving me 5 bars on the scoreboard.

The one shown for the host is simply the average of the scores for all client players.

Yeah, I find I most frequently get five bars (or whatever all green minus the top bar is), and I usually take that missing notch to mean the host is in America. The difference between that and a full green bar is definitely noticeable. A bunch of us from the UK & Ireland were playing Social Big Team last night and I was scraping headshots around corners and across the map that I wouldn't usually get.

That's interesting, though. I always presumed it was just a raw ping number. It's kind of comforting that it also assesses things like packet loss (which sometimes rears its head on my otherwise good [and 20Mbit!] connection, despite calls to my ISP).

Edit: do you have a link to your thread on bnet?

Diablohead said:
Recieved my copy of ODST this morning, it's in mint condition too, very happy with that ebay purchase for cheap :D

Never played or is it just a re-purchase?

If it's the former, you're lucky, in a certain way. You can play the campaign, and when you'll be done, the beta will be there waiting for you xD

broony

The 60 second ad short premieres in the U.K. on Tuesday, April 27 via Sky Sports 2 at the full time whistle of the Champions League semi-final between Lyon and Bayern Munich, and it debuts on the same day in the U.S. during an episode of ABC’s “V.” Following its premieres on Sky 2 and ABC, the short will air on multiple shows across sixteen other U.K. and U.S. TV networks, including Comedy Central, Spike TV, Bravo, FX, TNT and TBS.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2010/04/26/kz982.aspx

Game kicks off at either 7.45 pm GMT or 8.00 pm GMT so should finish just before 10 pm GMT.

NJ Shlice

Going through my photobucket I found a picture of my stock-up for Halo 3's launch. I may have to do something similair for Reach's beta.

DSCN1686.jpg

Photolysis said:
Yeah, and it's also out of date! Of course, it probably would have helped if I told you about my update :lol

(Basically just minor formatting, grammar fixes and such, nothing major missing)
I skimmed it and bookmarked it. It's pretty great. Maybe you'll get to a major revision after some time spent with Reach?

metareferential said:
Never played or is it just a re-purchase?

If it's the former, you're lucky, in a certain way. You can play the campaign, and when you'll be done, the beta will be there waiting for you xD
It's 95% new to me outside of a few firefight matches at my cousins, already spent an hour this morning with the campaign and want to play more :D

Gui_PT

Diablohead said:
It's 95% new to me outside of a few firefight matches at my cousins, already spent an hour this morning with the campaign and want to play more :D

Be sure to look for the Siege of Madrigal, you'll get a nice surprise =P

And try to get all the audio logs. Awesome story to be heard in those.

th3dude

Diablohead said:
Recieved my copy of ODST this morning, it's in mint condition too, very happy with that ebay purchase for cheap :D

Just got my sealed copy from a Gaffer... Can't wait to play through the campaign and start the beta.

Louis Wu

Photolysis said:
Yeah, and it's also out of date! Of course, it probably would have helped if I told you about my update :lol

(Basically just minor formatting, grammar fixes and such, nothing major missing)
I don't know what you're talking about... 'out of date'.

:lol

Gui_PT

It could be a semi-cutscene that serves as an introduction to Invasion. It's probably not, but it looks cutscene-ish to me

taylor910

Gui_PT said:
It could be a semi-cutscene that serves as an introduction to Invasion. It's probably not, but it looks cutscene-ish to me

Yeah it def looks like a cutscene after watching it a few times. Right at the beginning the unsc logo is big in the middle of the screen and it slides over to the bottom left. Also, that rocket explosion is way too big.

Gui_PT said:

Could be, but what's the point in having the hud visible during a cutscene?

Even if it serves as introduction to a combat sequence, the hud could show up as soon as wet get control over the character.

Kibbles

taylor910 said:
Yeah it def looks like a cutscene after watching it a few times. Right at the beginning the unsc logo is big in the middle of the screen and it slides over to the bottom left. Also, that rocket explosion is way too big.
Well the video I took it from was the opening of the GiantBomb video. I'm not sure if it's some new trailer or the into to the beta, but the static is the transition to the Bungie logo and then Microsoft logo. I just cut those out so it's all warthog.

Gui_PT

metareferential said:

Even if it serves as introduction to a combat sequence, the hud could show up as soon as wet get control over the character.

It could, but it's more immersive this way.

But I'm probably completely wrong about what it is, so nevermind

metareferential said:

I think it is a cutscene. Sure wasn't it confirmed that we don't take damage, but instead that the vehicle does. And are the players shields being bypassed?

EDIT: The shields barlely go down at all.. what was I thinking?

There are two parts. And at the end of each one shield and energy reach (pun intended) zero, and the video has been cut right before the supposed explosion of the warthog.

Maybe we'll get a new campaign trailer as an intro to the beta.

Hydranockz said:
I think it is a cutscene. Sure wasn't it confirmed that we don't take damage, but instead that the vehicle does. And are the players shields being bypassed?

EDIT: The shields barlely go down at all.. what was I thinking?

It actually looks like Invasion gameplay footage to me, just taken from that unique viewpoint. I said this a few pages back but it could just be a camera 'angle' option in theatre mode?

Game looks fantastic.

I recently went back to Halo 3 and could not believe how bad it looks. There are fucking jaggies everywhere. I really hope Reach has this fixed. Also, the slow matchmaking is so damn annoying. It shouldn't take more than a minute to get a match started. After a while you just get tired of waiting for matches and would rather play something else.

bobs99 ... said:
It actually looks like Invasion gameplay footage to me, just taken from that unique viewpoint. I said this a few pages back but it could just be a camera 'angle' option in theatre mode?
That would be pretty sweet, but the UNSC logo and text that pops up on the bottom right makes me think its just part of a Beta attract reel video.

taylor910

bobs99 ... said:
if you look closely right when the loop restarts there is a large unsc logo in the middle of the screen that immediately shoots down to the bottom right corner. This makes me think its a cutscene.

U2NUMB

striKeVillain! said:
Game looks fantastic.

I recently went back to Halo 3 and could not believe how bad it looks. There are fucking jaggies everywhere. I really hope Reach has this fixed. Also, the slow matchmaking is so damn annoying. It shouldn't take more than a minute to get a match started. After a while you just get tired of waiting for matches and would rather play something else.

I never thought Halo 3 looked "Bad".. I understood all the things it was doing under the hood compared to other games but it does look like Reach has stepped up a bit in the visual department.

And I 100% agree on the matchmaking speed.. needs to be much faster.

taylor910

striKeVillain! said:
Game looks fantastic.

Halo 3 still has a pretty large community for a game 3 years old. But you cant expect to find a match as fast as a game that came out in the past year.

striKeVillain! said:
Game looks fantastic.

After not playing halo 3 for a good year now and playing ODST today, yeah the low res lack of AA look hurts my eyes, doesn't stop me playing but it would be much appreciated if Reach was in 720p and some kind of edge detect.

taylor910 said:
if you look closely right when the loop restarts there is a large unsc logo in the middle of the screen that immediately shoots down to the bottom right corner. This makes me think its a cutscene.

I put that down to post effects to make it look good as a 'trailer', I reckon the footage is taken in game and touched up post production. Either way they must have got the footage somehow, and the way that gets me most excited is the theatre way :D

Trickster

taylor910 said:
Halo 3 still has a pretty large community for a game 3 years old. But you cant expect to find a match as fast as a game that came out in the past year.

Halo 3 doesn't have a "pretty large" community, it has a huge one, it's the second most played game on xbox live, only beaten by MW2.
And it's true that matchmaking in halo 3 can be pretty slow when it's trying to find players, definitely something I hope they improve on in Reach.

taylor910

Trickster said:
Halo 3 doesn't have a "pretty large" community, it has a huge one, it's the second most played game on xbox live, only beaten by MW2.
And it's true that matchmaking in halo 3 can be pretty slow when it's trying to find players, definitely something I hope they improve on in Reach.

I don't notice much of a difference in finding a match between h3 and mw2, and its much faster than halo wars. (3 games I still play online)

Granted if you have a huge rank discrepancy with the people you are playing with it can take a while.

Shake Appeal said:
I skimmed it and bookmarked it. It's pretty great. Maybe you'll get to a major revision after some time spent with Reach?

Glad you found it useful!

I started the very basics of version 3 this morning actually, but I'll probably release it after Reach goes gold. Quite a lot of stuff will be tweaked and changed as a result of the beta so there's not too much point in me asking for specifics at the moment.

Louis Wu said:
I don't know what you're talking about... 'out of date'.

:lol

Lies!

taylor910 said:
I don't notice much of a difference in finding a match between h3 and mw2, and its much faster than halo wars. (3 games I still play online)

Granted if you have a huge rank discrepancy with the people you are playing with it can take a while.

MW2 is definatly faster at actually getting matches going, but it doesnt take into account levels and stuff right?

I dont think its a population issue as I get slow matchmaking times even in popular playlists at times on Halo 3. Of course I prefer a slower matchmaking which gets me even matches, but if Reach can do this faster I will be happy!

Top Bottom