• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I already have Reach pre-ordered but Amazon just emailed me saying that if I pre-ordered Halo: Reach then I would get a $20 credit on any other videogame purchase. Do I have to cancel and then pre-order again or will this offer be valid on my current pre-order?

Also, if anyone didn't know about the $20 pre-order credit deal then there you go, although I thought Amazon does that with almost all of their videogame pre-orders so it's probably no surprise to most of you but it kinda was to me since I'm new to Amazon. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shrinnan said:
I already have Reach pre-ordered but Amazon just emailed me saying that if I pre-ordered Halo: Reach then I would get a $20 credit on any other videogame purchase. Do I have to cancel and then pre-order again or will this offer be valid on my current pre-order?

Also, if anyone didn't know about the $20 pre-order credit deal then there you go, although I thought Amazon does that with almost all of their videogame pre-orders so it's probably no surprise to most of you but it kinda was to me since I'm new to Amazon. :lol

No, even if you pre-ordered before they put up the $20 promo credit, you'll still get it when your copy ships.

JaggedSac said:
They probably want/have to let retailers get first dibs.

Yeah, which is why we've never (that I can remember) seen a dual release across the retail and digital platforms. Most of the time they're spaced out by months, if not a year or more. Don't see why Reach should break that.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Domino Theory said:
No, even if you pre-ordered before they put up the $20 promo credit, you'll still get it when your copy ships.

Okay, thanks. That's an awesome deal and I don't think I'm going to be purchasing videgames from anywhere but Amazon from now on.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, which is why we've never (that I can remember) seen a dual release across the retail and digital platforms. Most of the time they're spaced out by months, if not a year or more. Don't see why Reach should break that.
It's up on Marketplace for the press.

MS sent out download codes to some press for Crackdown 2 rather than shipping discs. I guess this is the same.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shrinnan said:
Okay, thanks. That's an awesome deal and I don't think I'm going to be purchasing videgames from anywhere but Amazon from now on.

Same. Games don't cost 59.99 for me anymore since pretty much every game I purchase from Amazon has a $10 promo credit attached to it, at the very least.

Not to mention no sales tax! Saving $6 automatially from that, although, since I live in California, our government could use the sales tax. :p

feel

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Dual playing Invasion on Spire by himself. Should be fun. :)
:lol Damn. Well, he could get it into a couple of consoles, the original download console can play offline, and then connect the second one to live. Invite the 7 nearest halogaffers (I'm sure people wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours if necessary) and play all kinds of matches. He could then watch and capture the games on theater in full screen (or does it force 4p splitscreen in theater even after the extra players are not signed in anymore?).
edit-
cjelly said:
You can't have 99999 points on an account.
Oh, nevermind, shut the whole operation down!

Cuban Legend said:
Damn, I'd rather have the digital copy vs Retail, now that I see it's coming out digitally.

I would miss the Preorder code and the day 1 code though... curses, this is why I hate retail preorder bonuses!
This won't be on sale normally at launch (MS doesn't want to fuck with retail partners). It's probably just a way to get the game easily into microsoft employees' hands early without noone giving the disc to pirate uploaders.

ElRenoRaven

Shrinnan said:

That's why I only shop there for my games. You find good sellers who sell used and if you buy new there is almost always some sort of cool credit like that. The only downside is that you have to wait for your UPS guy to bring it which for me means always like 3 to 5pm. So while everyone else is playing it at Midnight I have to wait.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
:lol Damn. Well, he could get it into a couple of consoles, the original download console can play offline, and then connect the second one to live. Invite the 7 nearest halogaffers (I'm sure people wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours if necessary) and play all kinds of matches. He could then watch and capture the games on theater in full screen (or does it force 4p splitscreen in theater even after the extra players are not signed in anymore?).

Or I could just sit back with a nice, cold glass of water while Bungie and Waypoint do all that work for me. :D

Popeck

Reach isn't necessary coming out as a digital release, not yet at least. Microsoft gave review copies of Crackdown 2 as digital copies (as in codes that can be redeemed for the game in Xbox Live). Maybe the same goes for Reach, althought I'd think that Microsoft would be much more careful about who to give the codes. This is Halo after all, and they have always had pretty strict policies about how you can review the game and what you can tell in a review.

VegaShinra

Popeck said:
Reach isn't necessary coming out as a digital release, not yet at least. Microsoft gave review copies of Crackdown 2 as digital copies (as in codes that can be redeemed for the game in Xbox Live). Maybe the same goes for Reach, althought I'd think that Microsoft would be much more careful about who to give the codes. This is Halo after all, and they have always had pretty strict policies about how you can review the game and what you can tell in a review.
Seems like the logical explanation. MS must be giving the game out for reviews via codes to some media and this is them preparing for it.

FrankT

Day and date digital release would be pretty cool and the first so far on the service.

Popeck said:

Of course this is likely case.

I would still prefer a digital copy to a retail copy of the game.

Why does this world have to embrace Gamestop and give them stupid preorder exclusives? Fuck gamestop and fuck the world.

Cuban Legend said:
I would still prefer a digital copy to a retail copy of the game.

Why does this world have to embrace Gamestop and give them stupid preorder exclusives?
Gamestop is the largest dedicated games retailer in America (maybe the world). Snubbing them obviously isn't a smart idea, and they'll often promote your game extra hard if they have an exclusive item or something, as they want to get everyone to purchase it there. I remember Gamestop ran a BUNCH of commercials advertising the Sergeant Johnson pre-order bonus last year, which is advertising you wouldn't have otherwise.

It just pays to keep up good relations with them and other retail chains, and preorder bonuses are a real easy way of doing that.

used game sales hurt the industry something something.

PS. I'm just like every other HALO fan that wants to have the best Retail iteration of a game from the series, ie Legendary Edition. Being forced to choose where to make that purchase isn't something I like.

Kibbles

Maybe it's something new they are doing to get copies to the press right away for reviews. They send them a code and they download the game.

Canada ARG gets me thinking -

The previous ARGs had LOTS of info that needed to be digested over weeks, hell, I think some of the Cortana letters and Iris stuff has yet to be fully solved.

With ~4 weeks remaining, I really think this supposed 'ARG' we are all holding out for and getting hyped about is going to amount to LESS than any other game. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see TONS of information being dumped on us in 3-4 weeks. It just doesn't follow the pattern.

Perhaps we've been missing the clues?

EazyB said:
I've seen this supposed "smart AR play" and all it amounts to is crouching around a map and waiting to AR + beatdown people. As devoid of fun that is when you're the one behind the controller, it's even less fun watching someone do it.
Even if you think it's cheap and banal, it still would be interesting to see how the strategy has evolved from that style of play in Halo 3, or if you can mix it up a bit with the extended range. If anything, it could teach you how to counter the strategy. I'm open to it.

Major Williams said:
Canada ARG gets me thinking -

The previous ARGs had LOTS of info that needed to be digested over weeks, hell, I think some of the Cortana letters and Iris stuff has yet to be fully solved.

With ~4 weeks remaining, I really think this supposed 'ARG' we are all holding out for and getting hyped about is going to amount to LESS than any other game. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see TONS of information being dumped on us in 3-4 weeks. It just doesn't follow the pattern.

Perhaps we've been missing the clues?
I don't think we're getting an ARG at all really this time around.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's clear that it's the same review download deal as Crackdown 2 for the Reach download - it's way too early for such a thing to happen.

DrBo42

That CA page is so embarrassing. The CovenanLENS FLARE, Attacks arLENS FLARE. It's cool that they're doing something for the Canadian fans of the series but that shit looks like it was created last minute. :lol

wwm0nkey said:
You know honestly if we all wanted too we could make 1 account and they download it, register the downloads onto a console and have that person re-download it. someone recovers their account and downloads it again on his and their account and have the chain repeat (I have done this with 4 of my friends so yes it does work)
Piracy dawg.

Also that 'I am so mad bungie' is the worst meme since that Brimley one.

Top Bottom