• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Kuroyume said:
I think you guys are overestimating the power of Forge 2.0. I didn't see anything in the Forge World video that was impressive other than the map itself which was huge. From what I gather it's essentially Forge with the glitches. That's it. Expect crap maps.

Joke post?

If nothing else, it's going to allow us to create maps that don't feature tiny little cracks for grenades to fall through.

As long as there aren't stairs. :p

Sill4

Wonder if a Containment redux will be made. I liked Containment, and with increased number of transportation (Sprint, Jet-Pack, quickly respawning vehicles) and increased flag return time, it could be really fun.

Kuroyume said:
I think you guys are overestimating the power of Forge 2.0. I didn't see anything in the Forge World video that was impressive other than the map itself which was huge. From what I gather it's essentially Forge with the glitches. That's it. Expect crap maps.
Are you...What? Have you not seen the maps in the BWU?

What?

Can you play Firefight on Forge World? No level edit, just straight up Firefight?

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything like the map Lost Platoon (Halo 3: ODST) in Reach. I think I like big maps in Firefight because they allow you to flee more easily (especially with a vehicle) when Covenant assaults become too much. :D

Tashi0106 said:
Don't waste your time on the mediocre Halo 3 maps. IMO, the Halo 3 maps that need a Reach remake...

Pit
Construct(if it's possible)
Narrows

edit: I wonder how Standoff would play if it was a smaller map made for 4v4. No vehicles.

Definately those two. Construct only with a redesign.

Amplified and Onslaught are so heavily bound by the constraints of Forge and Foundry that I don't see the point of them in Reach other than fan service. They repesent the best of what they could get work in that space. They would only serve as an example of MLG's inability to accept innovation. Let's be honest, they could make maps twice as good in a fraction of the time in Forge 2.0. Know doubt they will get made, but mostly for the point of making Reach as much like Halo 3 (or 2) as possible.

Instigator said:
Can you play Firefight on Forge World? No level edit, just straight up Firefight?

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen anything like the map Lost Platoon (Halo 3: ODST) in Reach. I think I like big maps in Firefight because they allow you to flee more easily (especially with a vehicle) when Covenant assaults become too much. :D

That desert map that had screenshots recently released looked pretty large.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LAUGHTREY said:
Does not compute.

I'm actually really looking forward to a Narrows remake. I think it could really shine in Reach. A lot of people don't really like Narrows because although the map structure itself is really expertly designed, it just didn't work with stock Halo 3 settings. In its first iteration the spawns were based on which side of the map you spawn on. Red and Blue. If you're the blue team, you'll always spawn on the blue side. That's the way it should be. A lot of people had problems though because of the spawn killing and so Bungie looked to change the spawns. That's not the solution.

People were getting spawn killed because they had a shitty starting weapon in the Halo 3 AR. So, the spawns went to random and the map became a cluster fuck. Guys were spawning right behind you. The importance of map control decreased. Sure, there were BR starts those would show up sparingly. Bungie tried to make things better by adding in the Magnum secondary but that didn't do much. The Halo 3 magnum isn't all that great.

For Reach though, damn, it could be a really great map for the stock settings. The AR is still not that great of a weapon but the new magnum is amazing. It is a very useful weapon all around.

Construct is a great map but just doesn't work for all settings. AR start construct with radar is no good at all.

I kind of wish radar didn't exist at all and everyone was used to playing without. Everyone would be better players for it.

/rant

edit:
Bungieware said:
Amplified and Onslaught are so heavily bound by the constraints of Forge and Foundry that I don't see the point of them in Reach other than fan service. They repesent the best of what they could get work in that space. They would only serve as an example of MLG's inability to accept innovation. Let's be honest, they could make maps twice as good in a fraction of the time in Forge 2.0. Know doubt they will get made, but mostly for the point of making Reach as much like Halo 3 (or 2) as possible.

The maps were created with a certain design idea in mind, symmetry. I think that Foundry was made for help forgers make symmetrical maps. All of the Forge maps that were created for Halo 3 MLG all were based loosely on the greatest map the Halo series has ever seen, Midship.
It's a fact :p
In order of least similar to most, it's Onslaught, Amplified and then Lockdown.

I think that Forge 2.0 will certainly help forgers make more varied maps but I don't think you can take anything away from Onslaught or Amplified. They served their purpose pretty damn well for MLG and have been on the Pro Circuit for a long time now with only minor tweaks.

Sill4 said:
Wonder if a Containment redux will be made. I liked Containment, and with increased number of transportation (Sprint, Jet-Pack, quickly respawning vehicles) and increased flag return time, it could be really fun.

Are you...What? Have you not seen the maps in the BWU?

What?
It's Kuroyume. He never has anything positive to say, and just comes in and posts to complain about something. Best to ignore him.

WJD

Kuroyume said:

Is there really any point to you at all?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
I kind of wish radar didn't exist at all and everyone was used to playing without. Everyone would be better players for it.

/rant

I could see that if you could actually hear movement in Halo. That's my biggest complaint when I use my headset in video games. In COD and BFBC2 you can hear people walking and shuffling around, in Halo it only seems you can hear them if they interact with something, jump or shoot.

That's something I'm hoping is fixed in Reach.

Striker

A BR start isn't saving that map. It is pure garbage, in an out, combined with the awful spawns. The map is small, but I hardly ever encountered such horrific spawns on previous smaller maps like Beaver Creek or Elongation as much as I have with Narrows. Best saving that one in the dumpster behind a building.

I would the same goes for 90% of Halo 3 maps.

Tashi

Alienshogun said:
I could see that if you could actually hear movement in Halo. That's my biggest complaint when I use my headset in video games. In COD and BFBC2 you can hear people walking and shuffling around, in Halo it only seems you can hear them if they interact with something, jump or shoot.

That's something I'm hoping is fixed in Reach.

Really? I think the sound design is absolutely stunning in Halo 3. You're absolutely right about the shooting and jumping but you can also hear foot steps of people near by. If you're in P2 in Midship, you can hear people up on P3.

I don't know, maybe it's because almost all of the games I play in don't have radar and I'm just used to having to hear for these things but I get a pretty damn good sense of where people are on the map just based on what I can hear.

Striker

Chip N Chance said:
Has anyone seen the G4 interview were they talk about changing the speed, and jumping to be more like Halo 3. I was a big fan of how the beta felt. But oh well. Sorry if i'm late to this.

http://g4tv.com/videos/47723/Halo-Reach-Preview/
If you've watched the FireFight videos and others, you notice it isn't quite the same, but it is not Halo 3. They just had to slightly adjust it to appease the fans who whimpered.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Really? I think the sound design is absolutely stunning in Halo 3. You're absolutely right about the shooting and jumping but you can also hear foot steps of people near by. If you're in P2 in Midship, you can hear people up on P3.

I don't know, maybe it's because almost all of the games I play in don't have radar and I'm just used to having to hear for these things but I get a pretty damn good sense of where people are on the map just based on what I can hear.

Well, when I play COD or BFBC2, I play hardcore mode so it has nothing to do with "radar reliance." I use the hell out of my surround sound headphones, hell in BFBC2 I can not see someone and tell everyone in my party exactly where the movement is. A few times I gave a dead accurate point where someone was. "11 oclock from my position directly on the other side of this hill." And sure enough we went over the hill and 2 guys were just crossing the street on the other side of the hill moving away from us.

I'm not overstating that at all. That's exactly how it happened, and it happened all the time.

I can't do that in Halo.

Maybe it's just that the movement/footstep sounds are subdued in Halo in comparison. I never seem to hear someone moving unless (like you said) they are right above me walking on the floor above me, or unless they are already right on top of me.

Now gunfight, pickups, jumping those are all dead accurate when you listen you know EXACTLY where someone is, but if they are simply walking up on you, well I've never heard them coming.

Tashi

Striker said:
A BR start isn't saving that map. It is pure garbage, in an out, combined with the awful spawns. The map is small, but I hardly ever encountered such horrific spawns on previous smaller maps like Beaver Creek or Elongation as much as I have with Narrows. Best saving that one in the dumpster behind a building.

I would the same goes for 90% of Halo 3 maps.

MLG settings saved that map. BR start, no secondary, no power ups, Snipers in the same spot, Rockets on the bottom bridge, mauler up top. You spawn on the same side of the map every time and no radar. I just think we'll never agree on some things. I'm playing a different Halo than some of you, and that's fine. And I don't mean that because I'm a general or anything like that, it's just that I play MLG gametypes almost exclusively and I play to win, it's how I have most of my fun in Halo. When I go into social slayer and carry the same attitude of wanting to win in there, it just breaks down. AR starts, radar, fucking Power drainers and bubble shields lol.

I give props to a team that can lock my team down in my base and spawn kill us correctly. I don't think the map is shitty because of it. The spawn system on that map does a decent job of trying to spawn you out of trouble but it requires some serious teamwork to get out a really good spawn trap on Narrows. 2nd really only to Onslaught.

I just think it was mishandled outside of MLG gametypes. Except for Team Snipers, that's pretty legit.

Anyway, I'm done talking about what's wrong with stock Halo 3.

Shogun said:
Now gunfight, pickups, jumping those are all dead accurate when you listen you know EXACTLY where someone is, but if they are simply walking up on you, well I've never heard them coming.

Agreed. I guess it works for Halo since it isn't 1 headshot kills. That's a large factor it seems.

ToyMachine228 said:
My hype for Reach just keeps rising and rising. Just busted out the Mjolnir Mix of the Halo theme on my guitar:D The parts I can remember how to play anyway. Cannot wait for this game! Might fire up on ODST and play some Firefight this weekend to hold me over.
Yeah, seeing these forge maps gets my adrenaline going. I'm still at work, but for about an hour or two this morning i was listening to all my favorite halo soundtrack songs. Was amazing.

Tashi0106 said:
I give props to a team that can lock my team down in my base and spawn kill us correctly. I don't think the map is shitty because of it.

I respectfully disagree, and I'm pretty sure Bungie see this as an issue rather than a skill. Having said that I understand what you are saying, and I have to agree that it does skill to lock down a base and spawnkill repeatedly. It's just that I don't think it is something that Bungie see as a feature of the game, more an exploit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Agreed. I guess it works for Halo since it isn't 1 headshot kills. That's a large factor it seems.

Yeah, that's what I equated it to.

I actually had the rational that it's a throw back to Quake when you had to go off of "map ques" as in for, determining where someone is based off of what they are messing with on the map.

In that way it's a more skill based game as well.

It just annoys me! :lol

Bungieware said:
I respectfully disagree, and I'm pretty sure Bungie see this as an issue rather than a skill. Having said that I understand what you are saying, and I have to agree that it does skill to lock down a base and spawnkill repeatedly. It's just that I don't think it is something that Bungie see as a feature of the game, more an exploit.

You have to look at it from a competitive play perspective.

If your team allows the other team to get such an upper hand to the point they back you into a corner that you can't escape from you lose.

That's how I always rationalized it when I was running Quake clans competitively.

Many competitive events work like that. I think that's where Tashi is coming from.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mockup of Halo Mobile game that was not greenlit (by a Gaffer!). Link.

mockup01.gif

Blueblur1

I've caught the commercial on TV twice already. I'm surprised that Microsoft has announced and promotional tie-ins though. I was looking forward to another ridiculous Halo slurpee and/or Mountain Dew flavor. :(

Tashi0106 said:
kaneklapqo6.gif

lol i know this gif is probably overused, but i can't help myself. love it.

Roche

Why does it seem like people at higher skill ranges quite far more often than lower skill ranges? When I was playing snipers from levels 1-40 I had very few quitters, now from 40-50 it seems everyone quits when we're down like 10 kills leaving me on a team by myself. Happened to me twice today and I lost my 44 because of it. :(

Here's the sad result
Game 1
Game 2

Halo has such incredibly bad sportsmanship really makes me sad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Roche178 said:
Why does it seem like people at higher skill ranges quite far more often than lower skill ranges? When I was playing snipers from levels 1-40 I had very few quitters, now from 40-50 it seems everyone quits when we're down like 10 kills leaving me on a team by myself. Happened to me twice today and I lost my 44 because of it. :(

Here's the sad result
Game 1
Game 2

Halo has such incredibly bad sportsmanship really makes me sad.

It isn't just Halo. You only notice it more in Halo because it isn't drop in drop out.

It's called "ragequit" for a reason. People become bitches when they don't win.

Tashi

Alienshogun said:
You have to look at it from a competitive play perspective.

If your team allows the other team to get such an upper hand to the point they back you into a corner that you can't escape from you lose.

That's how I always rationalized it when I was running Quake clans competitively.

Many competitive events work like that. I think that's where Tashi is coming from.

Right, it's about winning or losing.

Kuroyume

Banned
Well, excuse me for being critical. I've seen the maps and they're hideous grey lego blocks of crap. I'm not saying it won't be improved but this looks more like Forge 1.1 than 2.0. It's funny how people think I'm all negative meanwhile it was all you guys who were bitching and moaning about bloom, low jumping, shitty maps, armor lock, etc for weeks throughout the beta where as I loved it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
Well, excuse me for being critical. I've seen the maps and they're hideous grey lego blocks of crap. I'm not saying it won't be improved but this looks more like Forge 1.1 than 2.0. It's funny how people think I'm all negative meanwhile it was all you guys who were bitching and moaning about bloom, low jumping, shitty maps, armor lock, etc for weeks throughout the beta where as I loved it.

I can't believe I'm going to do this.

Dax01 said:
It's Kuroyume. He never has anything positive to say, and just comes in and posts to complain about something. Best to ignore him.

I honestly feel as though TruSkill served its purpose in giving me a 42. I ain't a pro, far from it, but at the same time I like to think I am fairly good at the game. What stops me is tactics. Quite simply, they do not exist in Halo for me. I just adapt to the currnt situation but I'd never be able to lock down people on their spawns or move as a team :/ Help me Reach.

I like radar and I don't like radar. Two different experiences, both enjoyable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
I honestly feel as though TruSkill served its purpose in giving me a 42. I ain't a pro, far from it, but at the same time I like to think I am fairly good at the game. What stops me is tactics. Quite simply, they do not exist in Halo for me. I just adapt to the currnt situation but I'd never be able to lock down people on their spawns or move as a team :/ Help me Reach.

I like radar and I don't like radar. Two different experiences, both enjoyable.

I've always been told getting to 40 is all you, getting to 50 takes a team.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I have noticed teamwork wins the day in Halo, especially if the team plays together a lot.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
MLG settings saved that map. BR start, no secondary, no power ups, Snipers in the same spot, Rockets on the bottom bridge, mauler up top. You spawn on the same side of the map every time and no radar. I just think we'll never agree on some things. I'm playing a different Halo than some of you, and that's fine. And I don't mean that because I'm a general or anything like that, it's just that I play MLG gametypes almost exclusively and I play to win, it's how I have most of my fun in Halo. When I go into social slayer and carry the same attitude of wanting to win in there, it just breaks down. AR starts, radar, fucking Power drainers and bubble shields lol.
I absolutely agree about the last line. AR rush and melee is gone from Reach, and that may very well be the one of the best non-additions we'll have. Equipment in 3 was very limited in terms of the amount, and most of it got old quite fast. Radar will be more interesting in Reach, though I can go with it and without it, depending on the mode and map. Certain maps just live and die off radar. It doesn't help many players you see run like a track star when they see a red dot. Unless they have help with them or closeby, they'll often run until they die or get help. Lastly, grenades. One of the most recent times I played Halo 3 I got Construct. At one point during the game near the top of gold lift, there was 23 frag grenades (I counted them in Theater) sitting in that one tiny area from dead bodies. In no fashion or sense is that completely necessary. Hoping Bungie fixed that heavily for Reach.

We'll never really agree all the time, but that's fine. I liked some of MLG's creations in Foundry, some of which were never used in Matchmaking. They made The Pit better, by far, in my mind. Construct was actually playable, because of no radar, but I still stand by that being an awful map as well, but in that case, it's still defined by radar.

I just think it was mishandled outside of MLG gametypes. Except for Team Snipers, that's pretty legit.
Another playlist subdued by awful gametypes decisions. No radar and no Shotty-Snipes. Halo 2's Snipers were pretty much a perfect bunch for me.

It's funny how people think I'm all negative meanwhile it was all you guys who were bitching and moaning about bloom, low jumping, shitty maps, armor lock, etc for weeks throughout the beta where as I loved it.
I'm cautious, but I can't be critical yet. I'm excited for Forge World because of its sheer size. And Dax should talk. If he's ever caught in an argument and has no substance to stand on, it's "That's just, like, your opinion, man."

Tashi

One more thing about Radar, I really dislike the detailed Radar in Reach since it details elevation. You might as well just put a Waypoint on everyones head.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
One more thing about Radar, I really dislike the detailed Radar in Reach since it details elevation. You might as well just put a Waypoint on everyones head.

Yeah, that is a bit of a "noob friendly" addition.

Luckily for you MLG will remove it. :D

Kuroyume said:
I think with the 'glitches' alone Forge is going to be faaaar more than a 1.1. In terms of usability and the massive increase in people now being able to merge objects and whatnot , it will redefine Forge. Plus, that was only one feature set. We haven't even had spwns explained to us yet and I still hold some opinions on what the object colour is as opposed to the objet's team colour.

Calling them hideous lego blocks of crap is totally the same as discussing why bloom was an issue for some
/sarcasm
. At least argue your fucking point if you are going to contribute.

Eurogamer.net has high resolution versions of the pics released a few days ago.

Also, i dont think they are bullshots since they contain jaggies.... So pretty much guarantee'd the game will look better then those pics because these pics are missing some post processing effects like object based motion blur. Although... those pics may be at a higher resolution then the actual game.

feel

dilatedmuscle said:

Also, i dont think they are bullshots since they contain jaggies.... So pretty much guarantee'd the game will look better then those pics because these pics are missing some post processing effects like object based motion blur. Although... those pics may be at a higher resolution then the actual game.
Nice. The one with the 2 falcons and the one with the sword-wielding elite chasing that female spartan, are new to me.

Kuroyume said:
I kind of know what you're talking about. The unique forerunner style of all the building blocks in forge cause all the maps to look eerily similar even if they're not. But that's where my agreement with you ends. Forge is all about construction, and the biggest change needed from Forge in Halo3 was more options. With Forge in Reach, we'll have far more control/tools, and options to be creative. That's probably the most important thing that Bungie could have done to upgrade Forge. Now if you don't like the appearance of the objects, that's not something that can be helped. But to say that Forge in Halo3 has not been improved upon significantly, I'm at a loss.

Louis Wu

Bungieware said:
HaloGAF, I now have Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, First Strike & The Flood. Which order to I read them in?
I'd suggest reading them in the order they came out:

Fall of Reach
Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx

Mad Max

dilatedmuscle said:

I'm pretty sure these are screens taken in theatre mode, which renders screens at a much higher resolution than the game. The actual game will most likely look similiar but with more jaggies and less sharp because of the low resolution. Still with these visuals reach will probably be the best looking xbox-exclusive for a while.

Louis Wu said:
I'd suggest reading them in the order they came out:

Fall of Reach
Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx

Will do, thanks.... I may leave Flood till last though. I don't know why but I get the feeling it will be a bit of a chore to read. It seems unfair, but I am pictuing the Libary or Cortana in book form.

Top Bottom