• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Roche

This is the map I'm working on right now, it's called Rockology.

reach_591559_Full.jpg

Raide

I wish Bungie would add some pre-fab stuff. Just some hollow boxes with holes for doors etc. I would also love a Forge map that was just in space. Planets and stars around would be cool.

I am slowing getting a hang of Forge now but I need to start making new maps and not just remaking old ones. :lol

Mik2121

Posting this from the Halo OT:

++ Check this out plz, it's my current forge map. ++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQf8T6_9sd0

This is a video of my current Work in Progress stage, The Extended Yard. It's based on "The Longest Yard" from Quake 3 but made larger and adapted to the Reach gameplay.

As you can probably tell, the level is not yet done. It's lacking small details almost everywhere, as well as the second to third floor ramps and the man cannons on the third floors connecting each side.

What do you guys think?

++

Mik2121 said:
Posting this from the Halo OT:

++ Check this out plz, it's my current forge map. ++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQf8T6_9sd0

This is a video of my current Work in Progress stage, The Extended Yard. It's based on "The Longest Yard" from Quake 3 but made larger and adapted to the Reach gameplay.

As you can probably tell, the level is not yet done. It's lacking small details almost everywhere, as well as the second to third floor ramps and the man cannons on the third floors connecting each side.

What do you guys think?

++

Looks pretty good, mik! Definitely noticing the lack of cover in some of the large open areas though.

Mik2121

timetokill said:
Looks pretty good, mik! Definitely noticing the lack of cover in some of the large open areas though.
Hey! Yeah, someone said that on the OT, this is what I replied:

Yeah. The bottom will have some boxes around to use as covers. I didn't add the boxes yet because whenever I move other geometry around, it hits the them and make them fly around :/, so I will add all the boxes and small objects at the end (I only added those sand bags there, but there will be more stuff around).

And yeah, either way the bottom level is a killbox, as you say. You still have to go there to use the jump pad to the floating platform, and you also have 9 "exits" (6 ramps and 3 jump pads to different locations).

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
Wait what?!! How?

No, don't tell me- just do it and give me a link!
Step 1: Edit the Race game type.

Step 2: Place the checkpoints in the sky.

Step 3: Spawn players with Banshees instead of Mongeese (players/vehicles invincible: recommended).

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit.

Two guides on Bungie.net that should be captured here:

Forging Invasion

Gametype Required Objects Guide

Of note: you can change the objectives in Invasion to be Territories, CTF or Assault(!!!). And you can have any combination of all three in the same Phase.

I've tinkered with Forge World a bit, mostly sizing up the objects and budget to scale my map accordinly. I'll start building in earnest next week, after some Firefight and MP to get a better feel for the sandbox.

Mik2121 said:
Hey! Yeah, someone said that on the OT, this is what I replied:

Yeah. The bottom will have some boxes around to use as covers. I didn't add the boxes yet because whenever I move other geometry around, it hits the them and make them fly around :/, so I will add all the boxes and small objects at the end (I only added those sand bags there, but there will be more stuff around).

And yeah, either way the bottom level is a killbox, as you say. You still have to go there to use the jump pad to the floating platform, and you also have 9 "exits" (6 ramps and 3 jump pads to different locations).

That makes sense. For my map, I made the general layout before placing anything else, as it's like you said -- things start flying if the geometry isn't totally set :lol

Also, is there a way (other than jet pack) to the top of the bases on the left and right (if looking from the "extended" part of the yard? And are you going to have any sniper rifles?

Something I've been struggling with personally is trying to make areas for snipers, but not making them too easy to hide in/away from enemy fire. Jet packs actually sort of help solve the problem, but I'm just curious what you're planning on adding for it.

Also, do you see this being used as an objective map at all?

Mik2121

timetokill said:
That makes sense. For my map, I made the general layout before placing anything else, as it's like you said -- things start flying if the geometry isn't totally set :lol

Also, is there a way (other than jet pack) to the top of the bases on the left and right (if looking from the "extended" part of the yard? And are you going to have any sniper rifles?

Something I've been struggling with personally is trying to make areas for snipers, but not making them too easy to hide in/away from enemy fire. Jet packs actually sort of help solve the problem, but I'm just curious what you're planning on adding for it.

Also, do you see this being used as an objective map at all?
My map's basic geometry isn't done either, but yeah, there's a way to reach the top of the bases on the left and right. There are ramps on the outsides that connect the first, second and third floors. I just added them now though, so in the video they are not showing up.

And yeah! There's already a sniper rifle on the floating platform :p There isn't much space to snipe around, but hey...

As for the mode, I think both free for all deathmatch and teams work fine, but not sure yet about using it as an objective map. Maybe some oddball? Have the ball in the first floor and have to bring it to the top of one of the towers, or something.. :p

Mik2121 said:
My map's basic geometry isn't done either, but yeah, there's a way to reach the top of the bases on the left and right. There are ramps on the outsides that connect the first, second and third floors. I just added them now though, so in the video they are not showing up.

And yeah! There's already a sniper rifle on the floating platform :p There isn't much space to snipe around, but hey...

As for the mode, I think both free for all deathmatch and teams work fine, but not sure yet about using it as an objective map. Maybe some oddball? Have the ball in the first floor and have to bring it to the top of one of the towers, or something.. :p

The first strategy that pops out to me for any sort of objective match is how the extended part out there could be a problem. Oddball people could camp out over there and shoot everyone coming over, etc.

Sounds good though. Keep us posted on your progress on the map!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:

Step 3: Spawn players with Banshees instead of Mongeese (players/vehicles invincible: recommended).

Forging Invasion

Of note: you can change the objectives in Invasion to be Territories, CTF or Assault(!!!). And you can have any combination of all three in the same Phase.

I've tinkered with Forge World a bit, mostly sizing up the objects and budget to scale my map accordinly. I'll start building in earnest next week, after some Firefight and MP to get a better feel for the sandbox.

Hi five!

Raide said:
Quick update + pic for my Q3DM17 remake attempt. Once I have finished it, I will throw it up for people to test, just so I can get the sizing and jumps right. I have not played Quake 3 in ages, so I might need to fire up Quake Live and check where all the jumps and teleports go.

I did manage to get the big Railgun jump, since I remember it could throw you off the end. :D

reach_271355_Full.jpg

:O

I. MUST. Have this.

Favorite deathmatch map of all time. Tell me the moment it's finished.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So I never messed with Forge in Halo 3, just getting started with it in Reach and have some questions.

How do I use the rotation snap function exactly? I don't understand that aspect as well as getting surfaces to line up correctly, such as bridge pieces lining up with other surfaces. I always end up having a little bit raised or lower and it causes the player to bump up or down when they walk between the two surfaces.

GhaleonEB

I tinkered with Forge a bit tonight, enough to confirm two happy things I had hoped for.

First, the kill ball reacts to phsics, so in no time I had one bouncing back and forth between two cannons of men.

Second, setting my base speed to 300% and jump height to 300%, then picking up sprint and roaming around Forge World was a wonderful thing. The movement speed is brisk, the jumps long and graceful (you can span the Gulch in 3 leaps), and with default fall damange, none is taken on landing as it's all forward momentum. Just don't leap off too steep a vertical ramp.

So with the kill balls I can set up moving hazards. A volcano, perhaps. And with the base player settings, a foot race track (as opposed to a ground vehicle or Banshee/Pilotwings version). An obstacle course with many a ramp, jump and moving hazard could make for a wonderful race track. I might have to build one in tandem with the BTB map, just to work out the desire to do something wacky.

The only downside was my player panting like he was gently but vigorously pounding someone at a brisk pace.

Raide

dslgunstar said:
:O

I. MUST. Have this.

Favorite deathmatch map of all time. Tell me the moment it's finished.

I have put the platform in the sky with the teleport and also the jump point at the back which launches you up there. Just tweaking the man-cannon's now, just to get the right feel. I have already used 8 cannon's, so I have to figure out how to make the last two work which bounce you from the bottom to the left or right middle platform. Running out of cannons sucks. :lol

I am really rubbish at decorating maps but once I have the layout good and it flows well, then I will start playing around.

Not a Jellyfish said:
So I never messed with Forge in Halo 3, just getting started with it in Reach and have some questions.

How do I use the rotation snap function exactly? I don't understand that aspect as well as getting surfaces to line up correctly, such as bridge pieces lining up with other surfaces. I always end up having a little bit raised or lower and it causes the player to bump up or down when they walk between the two surfaces.

The rotation snap basically locks an object into a rotation snap. Set it to 90o and you can rotate objects on a 90o plane. Handy for making boxes and walls etc for your maps. 45 is handy for edges and corners etc. I tend to keep to 45o or 90o when building walls, mainly so things are uniform and tidy. You might use 5o if you want to place something like a man-cannon and then rotate it by 5o so it points upwards.

One thing I picked up was every time you place and object, press B and then Edit it. It will auto snap to exact units and it will help when adding other objects. )In the Edit options you can then move it around in in-game units. Helpful if you want to get objects set to the same height etc.) Place another object where you want it and then Edit again. If you want to get edges close, then manually move it to where you want and Edit, so it snaps on. This might take a few goes since the snapping is really precise, so it might go a little off to one side.

The main problem is that most of the building blocks and walls that we use at floors and bridges, tend to have natural bump's on them, which can make navigating around them a little bumpy too. Just use the B button and Edit and things will snap ok. Then just use your eyes.

Mik2121

Raide said:
I have put the platform in the sky with the teleport and also the jump point at the back which launches you up there. Just tweaking the man-cannon's now, just to get the right feel. I have already used 8 cannon's, so I have to figure out how to make the last two work which bounce you from the bottom to the left or right middle platform. Running out of cannons sucks. :lol
I can feel your pain. The 8 cannons limit sorta kills this map, so I'm using other paths to reach the top floors.

Walshicus

Saw a really cool re-creation of the Pillar of Autumn the other day. Decided to try my hand at it - have built a UNSC ship with working Hangar [exit, entry ports], armoury, bridge, observation deck and airlock system. Will post some screenies when I get home from work. Next step is to build an Invasion gametype around it.

derFeef

Sir Fragula said:
Saw a really cool re-creation of the Pillar of Autumn the other day. Decided to try my hand at it - have built a UNSC ship with working Hangar [exit, entry ports], armoury, bridge, observation deck and airlock system. Will post some screenies when I get home from work. Next step is to build an Invasion gametype around it.
That sounds dope man. Would love to explore it.

Mik2121

Need someone to do a test play of my level with me! Any of you guys wanna come in? If so, add me - M1k2121

There are a few small areas where the height doesn't match exactly and when you walk by you make a small bump, but there's no way to fix those unless I stop using the "grid", and then some stuff would be a bit off maybe.

Anyway, yeah.. someone wants to join? The weapons are not around yet, and there's one area I really would like to hear suggestions for :p

edit - I will go grab some dinner now, so I will be back in just a bit. But feel free to add me meanwhile! :)

Walshicus

The ship itself is quite big - about 10 5x5[flat] platforms in length - but the interior is slightly cosier.

My biggest wish for Forge would be usable switches. I want to be able to disable a shield wall with a terminal, or activate a Mancannon with one.

Mik2121

Gowans007 said:
Mik I'll pop on for my lunch, 12:30/1ish for an hour if your around.
What time is it there now?

I got myself some McDonalds just now (I spent too much time "fixing small things on the map" before going out to buy my dinner, haha), and I will watch some Futurama meanwhile, but afterwards I will stay around, so just feel free to add me whenever you want! :)

Gowans

Mik2121 said:
What time is it there now?

I got myself some McDonalds just now (I spent too much time "fixing small things on the map" before going out to buy my dinner, haha), and I will watch some Futurama meanwhile, but afterwards I will stay around, so just feel free to add me whenever you want! :)
I'll will be around an hour from now. I'll add you now for then.

Shanadeus

Banned
Someone please re-imagine the mobile fortress multi-player mode from SC:Ghost:

The first is "Mobile Conflict", which requires two teams to fight for control of a single Terran military factory with the ability of atmospheric flight. Using vehicles and team tactics, both teams must first board the structure and then capture its control room to fly it to the team's starting point. The structure must then land and be defended from capture by the opposing team for a set amount of time.[5]
Capture the Base, also known as Mobile Conflict, involves two teams of up to eight players trying to capture a mobile factory and bring it to their own side using infantry units, which can fight inside it;[21][20] they would be dropped off using Grizzlies.[18][20] The battle takes place on Mar Sara.[22]

800px-MarSaraMobileConflict_SC-G_Art1.jpg

I'm thinking of a immobile fortress mid-air in the middle of the map, which can be reached by flying units (banshees, hornets etc) from red and blue base as well as jumped up to from some sort of gravity jumpy thingy from the ground underneath. You win by holding the territory for a certain amount of time, or perhaps by trying to bring a skull or a flag back to your own base - via the ground.

Gowans

Just checked out Miks map, my my its great. So tight and quick.

Just needs a check of the spawns and placements with some gaf customs but the second it's done I'll whack it in the op and lets get downloading.

If could be used for a bunch of game types too.

EDIT:
Mik2121 said:
Hey Gowans! Glad you are liking the map! :)

Hopefully I finish it today and add all the weapons and stuff.

Its brill bud, like I said, loving its natural pace. this will be great for 4v4s.

zlatko

Banned
I'll mess around more with Forge later, but I WANT to make Gridlock from Gears of War 1. Putting the sniper where it spawns, rocket launcher where it spawns, 1 grenade down where nade was, DMR in each tower, and everyone starts with assault rifle and shotgun.

I am just having a hard time at the moment on getting the right pieces. If anyone else ends up creating it before me let me know. :D

Mik2121

Uhmm... it could be because it was my map, but those games with you (Gowans007) and your friends were pretty fun :p

I need to add more respawn locations, all the weapons and a reason to go to the parts with roofs on the first and second floors. Probably a couple weapons will do the trick :p

Also I noticed that with the Jetpack you can reach certain areas that weren't intended to be accessible, so I will check that out too.

And last but not least, thanks a lot for bringing in the 'testers' :p

Gowans

It was ace Mik, everyone loved the map.

Yeah more spawns is a defo but I loved the fact you couldn't get areas with the packs. Evened it out nicely.

Will defo do more later.

cazosozey

Here is the map I've been working on. It plays like Chain Reaction from Socom 2, plus a little bit of Boarding Action from Halo CE. Still work in progress.

5br50y.jpg

xomvjd.jpg

JimmyBoy

Some of these maps posted are downright impressive. I can't wait until I can get some time and try and remake Boarding Action and a couple other ideas I've been thinking about.

quick question guys, I am at work and cant check, but can you put wildlife on your forge maps? like the Moa from the campaign?

me and my friend were thinking it would be fun to have a moa hunting game..

Mully

I'm in a little trouble. I am pretty much done with my 6v6 CTF map, but when I try to do a custom game of CTF on it, it says it not compatible.

Mik2121

Mully said:
I'm in a little trouble. I am pretty much done with my 6v6 CTF map, but when I try to do a custom game of CTF on it, it says it not compatible.
Pretty obvious but... did you place the flag locations and all the stuff related to that game mode? Also both teams' spawns, etc...

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
I still really want to know how this guy made a wall blow up on a bomb part of invasion

reach3.jpg
Read the Invasion Guide on b.net that I linked to (which really should be in the OP). You can assign objects barrier properties, and then link them to Phases. So when one Phase ends, those objects disappear to open up the rest of the map. He just assigned the rocks to be barriers, linked to the Phase that ends when the objective - in this case Assault - is completed. I was going to work up a variation where the bomb blows open some doors, and then in the second phase a big hole in the ground to access the Core, myself. But I dig the use of rocks, looks very cool.

GhaleonEB said:

Forging Invasion

I've tinkered with Forge World a bit, mostly sizing up the objects and budget to scale my map accordingly. I'll start building in earnest next week, after some Firefight and MP to get a better feel for the sandbox.
Wait, what?! I have to see this in action; I've done a lot less forging than I initially thought (stupid awesome campaign).

Played around for a bit during lunch.

Definitely a longshot here, but is it possible to change the size of objects and/or adjust their physical properties? Specifically I want to take a soccer ball, increase the size, and make it so it reacts a bit more to being shot. I didn't see an option for any of that sort of thing.

Raide

Hello all. Just an update on my Quake 1 DM 4 remake. I restarted it and things are looking better. One of the harder challenges was trying to keep it all encased to make it look like the level. Not 100% done but getting closer. When Reach was announced, I knew I wanted to make this map to test it out. Going well so far!

reach_797588_Full.jpg

reach_797650_Full.jpg

reach_797585_Full.jpg

Maybe a 2v2 map at max. Its really close and frantic. If only I had some lava. :lol

Water for lava? Will that work?

And just an FYI to you forgers (if it hasn't been discussed already), using walls for flooring still presents the same glitch that it did in H3 with Sandbox, resulting in a skewed pitch. Fucking sucks, since now you can't really use the Colosseum Walls to create a massive flooring space without bumps. :-(

Top Bottom