• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Gowans

ZNa99.png

Here we can share hints & tips for Forging maps for Halo Reach.
The OP will be update as we grow & as people suggest stuff to put in it.

Default Forge Controls
AAJO4.jpg

Helpful Sites & Tutorials:
http://www.forgehub.com/
Bungie.net - Forging Invasion
Bungie.net - Forge Required Objects Guide

Helpful Videos:
Forge World Vidoc

Find Custom Maps Here: File Search

ForgeGAF Map List
Dani said:
Dani
Hill Ground
Players Supported: 8-16 Players
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, One Flag, One Bomb

Akhsihs
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag and Neutral Assault

Nirvana
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag, Assault, Neutral Assault and more

Mik2121
THE EXTENDED YARD
Gametypes Supported: Assault, Slayer, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Capture The Flag, Headhunter, Oddball.
Players Supported: 8 (4v4)

Mully
Overwatch
Gametypes Supported: CTF
Players Supported: 12 (6v6)

Raide
Q3DM17
Gametypes Supported: Slayer
Players Supported: 4

Havok
Gametypes Supported: Team Slayer (Also KotH, Stockpile once tested)
Players Supported: 8+ (Got spawns for 16, might be a bit mad.)

URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=2752729&player=RAIDE%20UK"]Death Trap[/URL]
Players Supported: 2v2

Atomski
Falls
Players Supported: 2 (1v1)

GarthVaderUK
Rocket Kart - Block Fort
Gametypes Supported: Rocket Kart - King Battle
Players Supported: 4-16

cazosozey
Sub Base
Gametypes Supported:: Slayer
Players Supported: 2-8

Sub Base V2
Gametypes Supported:: Supports one bomb, CTF, HH, Infection, oddball, and slayer.

Pig Rodeo
Gametypes Supported:: Pig Wranglin'
Players Supported: 4-16

Millennium Falcon
Gametypes Supported:: none
Players Supported: 1-16

Koojay
Yoink
Players Supported: ?

Retro
Cistern
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, CTF

Moonpool

vhfive
Gaffer's Delight
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, TS

NOKYARD
Bloody Grifball
Gametypes Supported: Grifball

Shogun PaiN
Jacinto
Gametypes Supported: Slayer,TS, Oddball, Static KOTH and Headhunter
Additional Gametype: Spartans of War
Additional Gametype: Gears Of War Classic

op_ivy
Abrasion

Spire Rocky Ridge

HenryGale
Man Cannon Forever

Definity
Vestal
Gametypes Supported: MultiFlag, Neutral Flag, Assault, Neutral Assault, Slayer (Team and FFA), Headhunter (Team and FFA), Oddball (Team and FFA), KOTH (Team and FFA)
Players Supported: 16 (8v8)

Neuromancer
Monkey Target
Gametypes Supported: Monkey Target

timetokill
Seashell
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Oddball

Chateaux
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Headhunter, Stockpile, KOTH, and Territories
Players Supported: 4-12

droppedbear
Keystone
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, KOTH, Stockpile, Headhunter, CTF, Neutral Flag
Players Supported: 10

Truine
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Territories, Headhunter and Stockpile, either team or FFA
Players Supported: 8+ (4 vs 4 seemed a bit empty thought)

Chess
Turkey Burger
Gametypes Supported: Turkey Pro Slayer

Karram
Floating Map
Gametypes Supported: Floating Map Slayer

Everdred
Dreadfalls
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, KOTH and CTF
Players Supported: 6-8

Shake Appeal
Ardis
Players Supported: 6-10

Azar
Skyrace
Gametypes Supported: Skyrace

Klyka
Facing Worlds

Dmorr07
Canals
Gametypes Supported:Gears of War Classic, Slayer
Players Supported:4-12

Dark Cerberus
Longest Yard
Gametypes Supported: Deathmatch

Alaskanbullworm
Survive This
Gametypes Supported: Survive This Race

ZayneH
Fiend

Havok
Cliffside
Gametypes Supported: One Flag/Bomb games, Stockpile, Team Slayer, Neutral Bomb, Multibomb/Multiflag, and Team Crazy King

Free-fire
Gametypes Supported: Multiflag/bomb and One Flag/Bomb, as well as Team Slayer

Phaeton
Gametypes Supported: Assault, Capture the Flag, Oddball and Team Slayer
Players Supported: 2v2 or 4v4

Kapura
Canyon

ckohler
A Bridge Too Far
Gametypes Supported: ?

MrBig
Hopalong

Foxix
Phobia
Gametypes Supported: Boom King

Butane123
Recluse
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, CTF, Assault, Headhunter, 3 Plots, Stockpile
Also, bump down suggested players to probably 5v5.
Players Supported: 12 (6v6)

DD-11
CTF-Sierra
Gametypes Supported: GT Sierra

GhaleonEB
Crossroads
Gametypes Supported: ?
http://www.notreadyyet.com/wait

ForgeGAF Customs
timetokill said:
Okay guys, remember -- Sunday night at 4pm PST/ 7pm EST we are going to do our first ForgeGAF customs, where it's all ForgeGAF maps, all the time. We're going to use it as a way to do some testing and give feedback to the forgers :D

If you want to join in on the fun, do two things:

1. Join the ForgeGAF group on XBL (XBL:ForgeGAF) or friend me (XBL: BEARCANO) with a message saying you're from GAF

2. If you've made a map, shoot timetokill a PM with the following info:
- A link to your map + gametype (if applicable)
- The number of players you'd like to test for (ranges okay)
- The gametype you'd like to test for (slayer, ctf, assault, etc -- list them in order of priority)

I'll compile a list of players and maps, and we'll give it a shot tomorrow night. If you don't have a map but you want to help out, that's awesome -- just do option 1 and send me a PM saying you're a tester.

With all GAF made maps please add the tag NeoGAF
Click Here to View NeoGAF Tagged Maps

Interfectum

So, like Halo 3, there still isn't a way to test your map publicly? (as in host the map and let random people join in an play)

Love the banner. I've only messed around in Forge so far, but I really dig the idea of this thread. Looking forward to seeing what Halo GAF comes up with. :D

Gowans

I don't thing so, you could always invite your friends or just throw it up on here or on the fikle share (it has comments) to get feedback.

I'm just messing around with this at the mo (getting use to the controls are taking a while), might warm up by a beach storm map. Totally though there was a copy and paste feature for objects but got mixed up with Forza :lol

I'm only hoping the GAF is more creative than to remake other Halo maps. I was sad, but not surprised, to see that a majority of what exists now are quick remakes of maps that already exist.

I will play pretty much any race mode. There have been some amazing ones on Forge World. One had a Sonic the Hedgehog type spiral powered by mancannons.

Hugbot

piratepwnsninja said:
I'm only hoping the GAF is more creative than to remake other Halo maps. I was sad, but not surprised, to see that a majority of what exists now are quick remakes of maps that already exist.
Well, once they've perfectly remade Chiron and Damnation I'll be happy for them to stop. Also it's a pretty easy way to learn the tools, so we should see the first decent wave of custom maps in a few weeks!

piratepwnsninja said:

I think right now, everyone is just getting used to the new controls and features. I know I'm going to start with a remake, then take that experience to try and build something that flows well.

Hey Urk, You need to post the map from the incompetant cartropher up in here ;).

Gowans

Anyone know if there is an undo? Phasing a objective point through the ground is a bastard.

I'll be on in 4hours if three other GAFers want to help me out in a learning project?

Buttonbasher said:
I will play pretty much any race mode. There have been some amazing ones on Forge World. One had a Sonic the Hedgehog type spiral powered by mancannons.

That sounds awesome...Have a link to the file share for it?

Gowans

This is a friend of mines first halo, I've gave him a whistle stop rope of forge and left him building rock formations. He will be there for hours.

I did find the benefits of rotation locks and nudging tho. ;)

Gona take a fair few more hours of messing around to get down the basics.

I haven't been able to play the game yet, but my friend says Forge World isn't that great because it kept giving him out of bounds. Was that your guy's experience too?

Gowans

Neuromancer said:
I haven't been able to play the game yet, but my friend says Forge World isn't that great because it kept giving him out of bounds. Was that your guy's experience too?
Yeah it's a pain. Especially if you want to build anything in shallow water.

Gowans

Neuromancer said:
Is there a way to search and sort maps by how many Likes they have? Trying to figure out a way to get the best of the best displayed but I can't figure it out.
There is an option to see most download & most recommended in the downloader in the game.

feel

Good thread, subscribed. I don't forge but I love playing in other people's creations.

piratepwnsninja said:
Give it time, GAF members gave birth to some awesome original maps on Halo 3, some of which ended up being used officially by Bungie on Matchmaking.

Jube3

My first map will be an attempt at creating a mini laguna seca. I'm not sure if it's possible but I will try. :D :D

gdt

I probably won't be making any maps (my brother might though), but I can't wait to try out GAF's creations.

Sanic

Currently recreating a map that was about 80% doable in H3 forge, so now i'm just cleaning it up and expanding it in Reach. It's not a half bad 4v4 map if I do say so myself.

Subscribed.

I plan to get stuck in to Forge over the next few days once I finish the campaign, I've only really messed around in Forge World so far.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Putting the finishing touches on my first map now. Not sure how it will play out but I'm limiting it to BTB Slayer for the time being but it's designed for Slayer, Neutral and Multi objectives.

Ensuring proper kill barriers and soft kill zones in a pain. Worse than spawns. =P

Raide

Quick update + pic for my Q3DM17 remake attempt. Once I have finished it, I will throw it up for people to test, just so I can get the sizing and jumps right. I have not played Quake 3 in ages, so I might need to fire up Quake Live and check where all the jumps and teleports go.

I did manage to get the big Railgun jump, since I remember it could throw you off the end. :D

reach_271355_Full.jpg

Raide

Gui_PT said:
That looks awesome. Quite accurate. I can help ya test that thing.

I wish I could make the background black. I need to sort the portal out at the top and then where the teleports go. I think the far left and right platforms need bringing in a touch. Then work on the spawns and weapons. I was going to mod the player speed as well, just to get the feel right. Its pretty basic as maps go, so not too much time to tweak things. (I did start Quake 1 DM4 but it was a really hard to keep everything indoors. :lol )

georgc

GarthVaderUK said:
Subscribed.

I plan to get stuck in to Forge over the next few days once I finish the campaign, I've only really messed around in Forge World so far.

Forge world is pretty much it. There are like only 1 or 2 items that can be phased in those maps

Raide said:
Hrmmm...ran into a small Q3DM17 problem. Run out of man cannons. :D

mix in one was shield doors they have a boosting effect.

Helznicht

I have not found a way to copy or mirror yet. Working on a remake of an old Q1TF map called 2forts. Although Forge is much improved this time around, there are still alot of limitations to make any serious maps IMO. A couple for my wishlist:

1) If I am placing an object, after I place, leave me in the placement mode with same object, so I can place 5-10 of the same thing quickly.

2) Budget. I made a really complex base and only used 25% of my memory budget. Great! But I am out of walls. Why limit the quanity of a specific type of item? So I only have 1 base but have used up all my wall & block alotment. Still have 89 ramps I can place though!!! :(

3) Walls and blocks should have a few common skins that are settable in options, anything remotely complex and "indoor/corridor" is a mess of patterns.

4) Ability to lock all touching pieces into a single unit/cell. So we can move our creations as a whole. If you build a complex base (500+ parts) and then need to move it, you have to move each piece individually.

5) Being able to copy the above cell multiple times of course.

6) Ability to search by map name on the the fileshare, not creator name.

Raide

Helznicht said:
I have not found a way to copy or mirror yet. Working on a remake of an old Q1TF map called 2forts. Although Forge is much improved this time around, there are still alot of limitations to make any serious maps IMO. A couple for my wishlist:

1) If I am placing an object, after I place, leave me in the placement mode with same object, so I can place 5-10 of the same thing quickly.

2) Budget. I made a really complex base and only used 25% of my memory budget. Great! But I am out of walls. Why limit the quanity of a specific type of item? So I only have 1 base but have used up all my wall & block alotment. Still have 89 ramps I can place though!!! :(

3) Walls and blocks should have a few common skins that are settable in options, anything remotely complex and "indoor/corridor" is a mess of patterns.

4) Ability to lock all touching pieces into a single unit/cell. So we can move our creations as a whole. If you build a complex base (500+ parts) and then need to move it, you have to move each piece individually.

5) Being able to copy the above cell multiple times of course.

6) Ability to search by map name on the the fileshare, not creator name.

Agreed.

I do find it odd how the game has a map budget in Dollars but it still limits you to certain things. It would make sense to items just to cost a certain amount and you can put down hundreds of them if you really want. I had used only 1/4 of my budget, yet I could not put down certain things to finish it off.

When making maps, I find placing a grid really helps when you're trying to sort things. Would be handy if you could lock things down too. The amount of times I have moved something that I did not want to. :lol

1) I would love the ability to fly through solid objects instead of bumping into them.

2) Under building blocks, having more options like curved block edges or other shapes would be great. Map seem so angular.

3) More lights!!

4) Cut and Paste...please!

5) Grouping items together so I don't have to move bit by bit. Pain when you have to adjust a complex part, block by block. :lol

6) More than just small rocks and big rocks. How about some trees?

Gowans

I have just pissed around with three friend for an hour playing with msn cannons n teleporters.

Also I thought forge was 4 player. 30mins in some people joined.

Gowans

I'm gona remove that Canvas map for Forge World as it already has one.

How's everyone doing, anyone found any map suggestions to check out?

Raide

Gowans007 said:
I'm gona remove that Canvas map for Forge World as it already has one.

How's everyone doing, anyone found any map suggestions to check out?

Nothing yet. I am so addicted to Forge, I have hardly done anything else. :lol

Atomski

Played around with forge last night, pretty cool stuff.

Made a quick 1vs1 map. Still have some editing to do though.

reach519798medium.jpg

reach519796medium.jpg

Looks sick!

Checked out Pillar of Awesome on the most downloaded list, really impressive stuff just in the first week. Can't wait to see what people are creating a year on from now.

Top Bottom