• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach - Noble Map Pack Trailer

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hugbot said:
OK so how does that get John his Halo maps? I enjoy TF2 and the continued support as much as the next guy but claiming to not understand the justification for paying for a map pack when it's the only way it's available is just dense.

So your justification is that you'll take it in the butt because you really want more Halo maps? Alright.

cuevas said:
It's a different era, and this isn't the PC. There is no reason to feel entitled to free maps just because you have had them in the past on a different platform.

How is it a different era? Free maps are STILL being offered to TF2 and L4D2 owners. Today. Right now. Right this second. There's no difference in era.

You guys are welcome to buy the maps. I'm just not going to, because 3 maps are just not worth $10 to me.

Apath

thetrin said:
You guys are welcome to buy the maps. I'm just not going to, because 3 maps are just not worth $10 to me.
And that's what it comes down to. I am sure you can understand that those of us who gets hundreds of hours of gameplay from Halo: Reach are more than willing to spend $10 to increase their multiplayer map count by 33%.

Ferny

Totally buying this. Not really hating any maps right now but could use a couple more and they all actually look good

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kenak said:
And that's what it comes down to. I am sure you can understand that those of us who gets hundreds of hours of gameplay from Halo: Reach are more than willing to spend $10 to increase their multiplayer map count by 33%.

Sure. Nickel and diming is a valid and lucrative business strategy for a reason.

Btw. I really like the trailer. In my opinion its the best Halo Reach trailer until now.

I'm paying the 800MSP because its the only MP game I will play in the near future. And I played already 137hours and that its a lot for me.

Hugbot

thetrin said:
So your justification is that you'll take it in the butt because you really want more Halo maps? Alright.
:lol You're the one claiming to "not get" the justification for a very simple value proposition. I'm saying that given this is the only way to get new Halo maps and given that console map packs have been paid for years and that it will not change in the future, it's a pretty easy decision to make - they are either worth $10 to you, or they aren't.

Apath

thetrin said:
Sure. Nickel and diming is a valid and lucrative business strategy for a reason.
I'd say nickel and diming is more akin to if they had released all three maps separate at a low price.

thetrin said:
How is it a different era? Free maps are STILL being offered to TF2 and L4D2 owners. Today. Right now. Right this second. There's no difference in era.

So Valve has a different business plan than most people? I see DLC and maps on sale on steam all the time. Before the 360/PS3 this was only valid for full expansions.

Your last statement is fine because everyone can decide what is best for them, but don't try and make it seem like everyone else is giving their addons away for free.

Raide

The age old argument for DLC...Free or not free? PC users have had Free updates for years, Console owners, not so much.

You either want it and will pay to lengthen your happy fun time, or you won't and moan about it to people who stumped up space bucks for maps.

cuevas said:
So Valve has a different business plan than most people? I see DLC and maps on sale on steam all the time. Before the 360/PS3 this was only valid for full expansions.

Your last statement is fine because everyone can decide what is best for them, but don't try and make it seem like everyone else is giving their addons away for free.

Come to think of it, is anyone except Valve and Blizzard actually developing new MP content and giving it out for free on PC?

GhaleonEB

thetrin said:
The option is to buy the maps or not to buy the maps. If players want the maps enough to justify the $10, they will do so. History has shown that the model is supported by the player base. This is not new. I'll probably put dozens of hours into those maps, which is more than I put into many full priced $10 games. So it's a pretty easy decision.

I think most of us are aware that the Master Race gaming platform is not a closed system where the platform holder has a stranglehold on content and can dictate the prices accordingly. Not sure what you're setting out to prove here.

Kenak said:
MMOs, such as EVE Online.

Subscription fees sort of poke a hole in the "free content" argument.

EVE, of course, is a weird situation since you can pay for your sub with in-game cash, but that's not typical.

Apath

oddworld18 said:
Subscription fees sort of poke a hole in the "free content" argument.

EVE, of course, is a weird situation since you can pay for your sub with in-game cash, but that's not typical.
Well outside of World of Warcraft, Blizzard doesn't really give free content besides balance updates. Blizzard did give WC3 a nice update with several new heroes, but all of their maps they give out are just made with the editor. Would be just the same as Bungie making maps in forge and giving them out.

Kapura

Banned
Saying "maps should be free because Valve does it" is a farce. Valve just swims in money through Steam, not the least of which because it is mostly digital. For an Xbox game, you're going out and buying the disk more often than not. That adds huge costs that go to the retailer as well as manufacturing. Could the maps be free? Probably. But if people are willing to pay for an enhanced experience, why shouldn't microsoft charge for it?
Additionally, it would fragment the TF2 community, while it doesn't to the same extent in Halo.

LiK

Devin Olsen said:
34rsny9.jpg

goddamn, Bungie saves all the cool helmets for themselves.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
thetrin said:

The maps cost a lot of money to make. It is a business. Lots of love and passion are poured into them, but the company has a legal fiduciary obligation to its shareholders, as do many others.

Raide

OuterWorldVoice said:
The maps cost a lot of money to make. It is a business. Lots of love and passion are poured into them, but the company has a legal fiduciary obligation to its shareholders, as do many others.

Need to make money to pay for all those Grunt Strippers and Pizza.

btw, can you confirm if the new maps actually include new Forge objects or are they using the current ones?

Thanks!

Raide said:
Need to make money to pay for all those Grunt Strippers and Pizza.

btw, can you confirm if the new maps actually include new Forge objects or are they using the current ones?

Thanks!

Pretty sure the maps use customized architecture.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:
Sir, make them make more maps per pack. kthx

_Bro

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Yeah, but I don't think 3 maps cost $10. 1/6 the game for what is most likely an apology for the piss-poor maps that the game shipped with.

It doesn't help that we have Ascension, Sanctuary, and Ivory Tower remakes already being made by Bungie. Leave that for the forgers.

The whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense from a consumer stand point. If I don't want my card on my account then I have to buy a $20 card to buy the $10 maps for the $60 game plus the $50 for multiplayer access.

Scratch my whole argument against Halo DLC, videogames are a terrible hobby. To Off Topic and indie game watch threads.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Absolutely true and I don't fault Bungie, Microsoft or 343 when that day comes to charge for hard work.

But lets not forget that maps have always costed money to make, and they have always been created with passion and love from dedicated devs (well, OK, most anyway), and yet they were and are for the most part still free on the PC. Its just that PC devs saw giving away free content as a way to thank and retain their community, which at the end of the day is whats really responsible for the company's success, especially over the long haul.

All I'd argue for is a better middle ground. If paid DLC is the way of the future (or the now), at least sprinkle in some free content over time as well. Paid DLC, especially multiplayer DLC usually ends up degrading the multiplayer for those who don't buy into it - it'd be nice to see some free content every once in a while to extend the value of the original full priced purchase rather than weaken it.

SuperBonk

NullPointer said:
Absolutely true and I don't fault Bungie, Microsoft or 343 when that day comes to charge for hard work.

But lets not forget that maps have always costed money to make, and they have always been created with passion and love from dedicated devs (well, OK, most anyway), and yet they were and are for the most part still free on the PC. Its just that PC devs saw giving away free content as a way to thank and retain their community, which at the end of the day is whats really responsible for the company's success, especially over the long haul.

All I'd argue for is a better middle ground. If paid DLC is the way of the future (or the now), at least sprinkle in some free content over time as well. Paid DLC, especially multiplayer DLC usually ends up degrading the multiplayer for those who don't buy into it - it'd be nice to see some free content every once in a while to extend the value of the original full priced purchase rather than weaken it.
I thought Bungie was on record saying that they would like to give out the maps for free but Microsoft makes them charge for it? At the very least, that's one of the reasons why I've never bought a Halo map pack.

Again, I'm perfectly fine if people want to pay for these maps. I just don't want to be treated like a second class citizen like I was in Halo 3. Thankfully, this seems not to be the case anymore.

SuperBonk said:
I thought Bungie was on record saying that they would like to give out the maps for free but Microsoft makes them charge for it? At the very least, that's one of the reasons why I've never bought a Halo map pack.

Again, I'm perfectly fine if people want to pay for these maps. I just don't want to be treated like a second class citizen like I was in Halo 3. Thankfully, this seems not to be the case anymore.
Exactly my feelings. MS is responsible for release dates and pricing as we've been reminded plenty of times.

The Halo 3 DLC system left such a bad taste in my mouth that it soured me on most things Halo. But at least this time they're avoiding locking players out of playlists, and that's a tremendous improvement. For that reason alone I'm willing to part with $10 to support them and see how this stuff changes or extends the multiplayer for me.

NullPointer said:
The Halo 3 DLC system left such a bad taste in my mouth that it soured me on most things Halo. But at least this time they're avoiding locking players out of playlists, and that's a tremendous improvement. For that reason alone I'm willing to part with $10 to support them and see how this stuff changes or extends the multiplayer for me.

I'm fine with the pricing. I know things are free on the PC. Awesome. I also know that I have to pay just over $3.33 per map in order to get new content for Reach multiplayer. Not as awesome but certainly not "taking it in the butt".

If people are really so destitute that they can't afford something that they want when it is $10 (or less if you are using that Bing thingy) they need to spend less time posting on this forum and more time looking for a job/begging/hustling pool.

One additional point: why is it that on one day I hear how crappy it is for a videogame publisher to charge for a product only to then hear on the next day how crappy it is that videogame companies aren't paying their employees enough? I'm assuming that Bungie got some cashlove from Microsoft for this DLC. Shouldn't we be fine with being charged a reasonable sum for it in order to justify that aforementioned cashlove?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Letters said:
Great trailer, this game needs more proper maps asap, really excited for this! :D

34rsny9.jpg

Not been in this thread since it went up (too much price bitching for me, I prefer talking Halo) but this GIF is fucking amazing, bravo good sir!

Top Bottom