• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Okay, Skirmageddon is awesome. Like Gruntpocalypse, it's got the Red skull enabled, with these settings:

Shootiness: Marksman
Vision: Eagle Eye
Hearing: Sharp
Luck: Leprechaun

Dudes are hyped up on caffeine and crack and shoot the Nerfle like a machine gun at long range. Aced my first game on it, but there was a lot of luck involved. Unlike Gruntpocalypse, it's actually hard. Those guys keep you on your toes.

Also, since there's so many game types in the mix I was worried about not being able to pick the map/game type combo I wanted. Corvette popped up, but no Skirmageddon, so I vetoed. A few maps later it comes up with it included. Before you only gone one shot at each map.

I fail to see a reason to leave the house the rest of the day. (Okay, I have the flu and wasn't going to anyways.)

Edit: Elite Spec Ops need to be the boss wave on regular Score Attack!

Gui_PT said:
Sometimes it doesn't =(

Well, Pinnacle is the worst map ever made in the history of Halo. Even without considering the spawns. I feel your pain.

And can't wait to try all the new game modes. They sound like a lot of fun :D
Fixed for accuracy. God damn do I hate that map.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, Skirmageddon is awesome.
Can't wait to try out the new gametypes. What to play first, new FF or the new community maps? I was never good with decisions...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Okay, Skirmageddon is awesome. Like Gruntpocalypse, it's got the Red skull enabled, with these settings:

Shootiness: Marksman
Vision: Eagle Eye
Hearing: Sharp
Luck: Leprechaun

Dudes are hyped up on caffeine and crack and shoot the Nerfle like a machine gun at long range. Aced my first game on it, but there was a lot of luck involved. Unlike Gruntpocalypse, it's actually hard. Those guys keep you on your toes.

Also, since there's so many game types in the mix I was worried about not being able to pick the map/game type combo I wanted. Corvette popped up, but no Skirmageddon, so I vetoed. A few maps later it comes up with it included. Before you only gone one shot at each map.

I fail to see a reason to leave the house the rest of the day. (Okay, I have the flu and wasn't going to anyways.)

Edit: Elite Spec Ops need to be the boss wave on regular Score Attack!

Why, god, why, why would you do that to yourself.

That would be like playing firefight against drones!

GhaleonEB said:
I think they tried to mix it up in Reach and have the run be at the beginning of the level, rather than the end. And also, on a Mongoose. It's fun but somehow doesn't feel climactic.

It would have been epic to have a mongoose sequence like that with 'multiple' scarabs and all kinds of crazy crap for you to drive through ending with you hopping off the goose and into the MAC to end the game. That said, I really enjoyed the campaign and do not have any complaints there. Solo Legendary was a lot of fun.

On your comment about Pinnacle, MY GOD. I was about to hit rage mode last I played on it. This has to be the most glaring example of Bungie not trying something in their game out. I have had two matches in particular where I couldn't take A SINGLE step the entire match. Well, besides when the game first started but after our first death they got in place and we couldn't move. Instant death over and over and over. I honestly felt like I wasn't playing the game, but watching a death montage on youtube. It really blows my mind that Bungie hasn't taken Pinnacle out of SWAT. I've also been on the other end where enemies kept spawning in my vision, it's just broken, period. Please spread the word Urk! Death to Pinnacle for SWAT!
<3 Urk

Pete Rock said:
Anybody with half a brain never took this shit game seriously as a competitive shooter in any iteration regardless, but thanks for the suggestion.

So rather than take it seriously as something that it was designed to be (a shooter) you're arguing that Bungie should be taking it more seriously as something that it is not designed to be (a racer).

I'm all for Bungie setting up a race playlist. I hope it happens for you, but I think you need to lower your expectations for any kind of Bungie-Love in the Race department and maybe not fly off the handle when they don't come through for you and the other 1% of Halo players that like rocket race.

Also, this is an internet video game discussion forum, if you're getting this angry about video game discussion then it's probably time to find a way to relax. You're taking time out of your day to angrily argue with guys that have avatars that are a bearded cartoon fish and a puppet vampire lawyer, respectively. It's time to settle down.

equil

Squall ASF said:
It would have been epic to have a mongoose sequence like that with 'multiple' scarabs and all kinds of crazy crap for you to drive through ending with you hopping off the goose and into the MAC to end the game. That said, I really enjoyed the campaign and do not have any complaints there. Solo Legendary was a lot of fun.

On your comment about Pinnacle, MY GOD. I was about to hit rage mode last I played on it. This has to be the most glaring example of Bungie not trying something in their game out. I have had two matches in particular where I couldn't take A SINGLE step the entire match. Well, besides when the game first started but after our first death they got in place and we couldn't move. Instant death over and over and over. I honestly felt like I wasn't playing the game, but watching a death montage on youtube. It really blows my mind that Bungie hasn't taken Pinnacle out of SWAT. I've also been on the other end where enemies kept spawning in my vision, it's just broken, period. Please spread the word Urk! Death to Pinnacle for SWAT!
<3 Urk

Its just as bad during Snipers.
So much spawn killing.

Striker

Race seems fine for something in your occasional ActionSack playlist, or, simply, something that could have been solved had they introduced their own custom game lobby.

re: Pinnacle and Swat

You guys act like spawn killing an bad spawns are new to Halo Bungie. It's been there since day 1. Once a decent team locks down certain parts of the map, the game is well covered. It doesn't help you are playing a gametype involving a single headshot to kill a person.

equil said:
Its just as bad during Snipers.
So much spawn killing.

You know it's broken when people will vote on something because of what color the game assigns them (dictating initial spawns). I've lost count of how many times I've heard the other team say "Oh, we're Red team! Choose Pinnacle!" :|

Striker said:

You guys act like spawn killing an bad spawns are new to Halo. It's been there since day 1. Once a decent team locks down certain parts of the map, the game is well covered. It doesn't help you are playing a gametype involving a single headshot to kill a person.

No man, this is on a whole new level. Usually real bad spawn killing matches might have each person getting spawn killed 6 or so times, multiple in a row that feels bad and well, that's nearly 30 points for the other team so goes a long way towards them winning. This on the other hand, has a team winning 50 to less then 10 for the losing team. It's that broken. The degree you can lock down Pinnacle for SWAT is unprecedented.

Pete Rock

Bregmann Roche said:
So rather than take it seriously as something that it was designed to be (a shooter) you're arguing that Bungie should be taking it more seriously as something that it is not designed to be (a racer).
Not in the slightest, I was attempting to illustrate the folly of your suggestion as to where I spend my time, relative to qualitative judgments of other titles available throughout past and present history in the context of the genre.

I'm all for Bungie setting up a race playlist. I hope it happens for you, but I think you need to lower your expectations for any kind of Bungie-Love in the Race department and maybe not fly off the handle when they don't come through for you and the other 1% of Halo players that like rocket race.
Didn't, hadn't, wouldn't, won't. Ever. Doesn't change the fact that the way they treat it makes no sense aside from matching up with the mistreatment of the gametype in H3.

Also, this is an internet video game discussion forum, if you're getting this angry about video game discussion then it's probably time to find a way to relax. You're taking time out of your day to angrily argue with guys that have avatars that are a bearded cartoon fish and a puppet vampire lawyer, respectively. It's time to settle down.
Save your breath, please. Nobody is angry about anything, but again I do appreciate the suggestion, it is appropriately comical given the nature of your responses.

vhfive

Striker said:
Race seems fine for something in your occasional ActionSack playlist, or, simply, something that could have been solved had they introduced their own custom game lobby.

You guys act like spawn killing an bad spawns are new to Halo Bungie any shooter. It's been there since day 1. Once a decent team locks down certain parts of the map, the game is well covered. It doesn't help you are playing a gametype involving a single headshot to kill a person.
fixed

spawn killing will always be in shooters but some cases are definitely worse than others

Striker

Squall ASF said:
No man, this is on a whole new level. Usually real bad spawn killing matches might have each person getting spawn killed 6 or so times, multiple in a row that feels bad and well, that's nearly 30 points for the other team so goes a long way towards them winning. This on the other hand, has a team winning 50 to less then 10 for the losing team. It's that broken. The degree you can lock down Pinnacle for SWAT is unprecedented.
How is it any different than, say, a team locking down Narrows in Team Slayer for Halo 3? Once a team locks down the middle area and has the weapons, the opposing team is screwed. Plus tons of other maps, like god-awful Construct, the spawn killing-bad spawn ratio has been around for so long.

Swat is nothing but camping and getting killed by people generally inferior at the game. They choose a gametype that's for easy killing and with little skill involved.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Why, god, why, why would you do that to yourself.

That would be like playing firefight against drones!
If Drones were confined to the ground, which makes them fun instead of annoying. It's a game of reflexes and steady aim.

Two clips to illustrate: this was the ending to my first game.

This took place in my second. I was nervous about opening the door, and it turns out I had reason to be. React fast or get mowed down.

Love it.

Striker said:
How is it any different than, say, a team locking down Narrows in Team Slayer for Halo 3? Once a team locks down the middle area and has the weapons, the opposing team is screwed. Plus tons of other maps, like god-awful Construct, the spawn killing-bad spawn ratio has been around for so long.

Swat is nothing but camping and getting killed by people generally inferior at the game. They choose a gametype that's for easy killing and with little skill involved.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I felt like I was watching youtube. It wasn't hyperbole. Obviously controlling the map is how you dominate but any skillful Halo player knows it's possible to fight your way back and take the map back over in most cases. Pinnacle SWAT can be LITERALLY unplayable. In no other instance in my entire tenure with the Halo series, have I ever experienced a match where I couldn't move. Never. I'm not knew to Halo man, I know the spawns have sucked all series long and this isn't the first I've complained of them. But this is just seriously on a whole other level.

LOL at SWAT requiring no skill, I'm not even going to humor this ignorant comment.

GhaleonEB said:
If Drones were confined to the ground, which makes them fun instead of annoying. It's a game of reflexes and steady aim.

Two clips to illustrate: this was the ending to my first game.

This took place in my second. I was nervous about opening the door, and it turns out I had reason to be. React fast or get mowed down.

Love it.

Sounds like a FF version of SWAT :)

FourDoor

Squall ASF said:
Sounds like a FF version of SWAT :)

Replace the skirmishers with Elites that can only die with headshots and that sounds like a gametype I would be willing to jump back into FF with!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Normal Slayer but you can spawn on any of your friends, like in Invasion.

It's awesome.

Like Barrow Roll said, it'd be nice if it had its own playlist

Does it have copious amounts of armor lock?

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Does it have copious amounts of armor lock?

It does, BUT it's awesome when you spawn by a friend who's waiting for a guy to come out of AL

Edit:
Just got teamed up against 4 camping+sword/shotgun+camo losers.

Tool of destruction for the whole team? Sword!

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Sorry for not accepting the invite Laszlo, was playing MLG with some peeps.
No worries homes, your still my favorite pro battlebro...

Anyone playing Reach tonight?

Havok

I guess Bungie changed the way that the Score Attack playlist cycles through maps when 'none of the above' is picked. It used to just go through each map so you don't have to play on the very high percentage of not so good Firefight maps, but I was getting the same one showing up two or three times. No, Overlook. I never want to play you. Ever.

Striker

So BTB has five Slayer variants. I hope this gets updated next ala Multi-Team.

Rid Countdown period, that map devolves the gameplay for 16 players. Reduce the Slayer variants - no reason whatsoever they should have both Bro Slayer and Big Team Slayer. Plus Snipers, Elite Slayer, and Headhunter.

Make it primarily Bro Slayer, Multi-CTF, Assault, 1-Bomb, 1-Flag, Neutral Bomb, Territories, and Stockpile.

But somehow I doubt it. Firefight is getting more cared activity than the real playlists. I hope they can make the Classic playlist mostly CTF, Bomb, and regular Slayer only.

Just got this today, played some MP so far, loving it. It seems that every else is really really bad though.. I'm doing FFA and coming in 1st or 2nd.. I rarely get above 8/10 in these sorta games...

BloodElfHunter said:
Just got this today, played some MP so far, loving it. It seems that every else is really really bad though.. I'm doing FFA and coming in 1st or 2nd.. I rarely get above 8/10 in these sorta games...

Prepare to be TruSkilled. It happens to all of us. Enjoy the gravy train while it lasts.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Striker said:
But somehow I doubt it. Firefight is getting more cared activity than the real playlists.

SMH

Saying this after a huge playlist update, one of several in the past few months. Also, this is Firefight's first serious update, after months of mostly traditional MM updates. Don't be throwing the toys out of the pram etc.

I just played on the most convoluted, confusing map ever. And the spawns were bad too: Red team kept on spawning in the exact same location even though we were right on top of them.

I really liked this one map, though. Don't remember it's name. lol.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
I guess Bungie changed the way that the Score Attack playlist cycles through maps when 'none of the above' is picked. It used to just go through each map so you don't have to play on the very high percentage of not so good Firefight maps, but I was getting the same one showing up two or three times. No, Overlook. I never want to play you. Ever.
It's better now, though. Instead of one shot at each map, it cycles the maps until you've seen every gametype on each map. So if all you want to do is play 2x Attack on Corvette, you can veto until it comes up. With 10 game types, under the old system you'd only get to see 3 of 10 each time.

Havok said:
It's better now, though. Instead of one shot at each map, it cycles the maps until you've seen every gametype on each map. So if all you want to do is play 2x Attack on Corvette, you can veto until it comes up. With 10 game types, under the old system you'd only get to see 3 of 10 each time.
Dani said:
SMH

Saying this after a huge playlist update, one of several in the past few months. Also, this is Firefight's first serious update, after months of mostly traditional MM updates. Don't be throwing the toys out of the pram etc.
Indeed. Until now the scope of the Firefight changes were:

• Crashsite removed from Score Attack and replaced with Mythic Attack.
  • Friendly fire turned off on the regular Firefigh playlist.
  • Firefight playlist extended from 15 to 30 minutes.
The Grab Bag playlists aside, that's been it. Multiplayer has been getting pretty big updates every month, and this month's is huge. It's pretty silly to begrudge Firefight's first major update.

Top Bottom