• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Demoncarnotaur said:
That was one epic trailer. I cannot freaking wait. Im surprised 343 took over the DLC already though.. so is Bungie out of the picture or can we expect maybe one last something from them?

It would be pretty tragic if their last multiplayer map in the Halo series ended up being Uncaged.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Awesome awesome awesome trailer. Wow, props to the people who did it. The music was great. There were too many 1v1 assassination shots in there though. Kinda kills the flow. I loved the introduction of each map though and the way the name of the map was written out. The end text and messages were great looking as well. Damn good map trailer.

The best Halo map pack trailer though...Darkness Can't find HD version on youtube :(

ElRenoRaven

Tashi0106 said:
Awesome awesome awesome trailer. Wow, props to the people who did it. The music was great. There were too many 1v1 assassination shots in there though. Kinda kills the flow. I loved the introduction of each map though and the way the name of the map was written out. The end text and messages were great looking as well. Damn good map trailer.

The best Halo map pack trailer though...Darkness Can't find HD version on youtube :(

You actually liked the music? Ugh. I hated it. It just didn't sound like Halo at all.

Gui_PT said:
I believe it's from Halo Legends

Edit:
Here

Ah that explains it. I couldn't stand any of the original music they did for Legends. The only music I liked in it was the stuff they redid of Bungie's music.

Demoncarnotaur said:
That was one epic trailer. I cannot freaking wait. Im surprised 343 took over the DLC already though.. so is Bungie out of the picture or can we expect maybe one last something from them?

Well I'm pretty sure Bungie said they'd be supporting Reach for at least a year, so I'd expect they'll do another map pack of two. I'm thinking they'll alternate between 343/Certain Affinity and Bungie packs, just speculating though.

Or of course they could be done and the support could just be playlist/title updates and maintaining that stuff. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

lybertyboy said:
That's why there's Forge.

Yeah, but unless your going to play lots of customs thats no good! Matchmaking has a severe lack of banshees and falcons!

Thats not really related to the map pack though, which looks good! I cant wait for some gameplay footage.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah, but unless your going to play lots of customs thats no good! Matchmaking has a severe lack of banshees and falcons!

Thats not really related to the map pack though, which looks good! I cant wait for some gameplay footage.

And that's the one area I've never agreed with Bungie. I have always wanted the ability to host a server which others could join. RTCW on the Original Xbox had it perfectly done too. You could set up your xbox as a server with the maps you wanted and modes you wanted and it would cycle through them. You could even set it as a dedicated server while you were off doing something else. People could join when it was in the lobby between games.

God I miss RTCW now.

PsychoRaven said:
And that's the one area I've never agreed with Bungie. I have always wanted the ability to host a server which others could join. RTCW on the Original Xbox had it perfectly done too. You could set up your xbox as a server with the maps you wanted and modes you wanted and it would cycle through them. You could even set it as a dedicated server while you were off doing something else. People could join when it was in the lobby between games.

God I miss RTCW now.

I sort of understand why custom game browsers dont exist. It could potentially kill off the matchmaking population... while only providing games which quite frankly only the host would enjoy lol. I do wish more variants of the current maps existed though. a Hemmorage variant with Banshees on it for example.

I hate to be the negative guy, but the new CoD map pack hasn't been brilliant, and I know Certain Affinity was involved in that, so right now I have a slightly negative viewpoint of they're work. That said im so glad we are having a fresh perspective on Halo maps, and im excited to see what they bring.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
I sort of understand why custom game browsers dont exist. It could potentially kill off the matchmaking population... while only providing games which quite frankly only the host would enjoy lol. I do wish more variants of the current maps existed though. a Hemmorage variant with Banshees on it for example.

I hate to be the negative guy, but the new CoD map pack hasn't been brilliant, and I know Certain Affinity was involved in that, so right now I have a slightly negative viewpoint of they're work. That said im so glad we are having a fresh perspective on Halo maps, and im excited to see what they bring.

You know though I think that's a falsehood. Anyone can create a server and if the demand is there it will have players. So if servers that are running currently don't meet your needs then you have every ability to host one that does and if that demand is there you will have players on it. With custom games in the Halo series you don't have that because only your friends can see your game. If you don't have friends playing or they don't feel like doing a custom game then you're SOL.

Also a server list lets you find that one server you love. You know the server you go back to time and time again. Prime example for me was with RTCW on the PC ( I bought both PC and Xbox). I played all the time on the Happy Penguin servers. So many great players and they were always packed. The best part was I played them because they had maps and gametypes I loved which were Objective gametypes. I still remember the one map that was huge but awesome which would have games go on for hours. It was called Tank. I could play in that game log out and come back a good 5 to 6 hours later and that very game I left would still be going on.

neoism

I wanted to take a break from reach but if 3 others are willing to play a bunch of firefight I'd love it... Will be so much better without idlers and quitters....

GhaleonEB said:
Nice trailer; the maps look straight up gorgeous. I was expecting an April release, so March is a nice bonus.

Edit: for the new page:

Defiant Map Pack | Trailer | Announcement | Screenshots

Thanks for the pic link, it suprisingly wasn't blocked from here. I'll have to wait until I get home to see the trailer you guys are raving about. Can't wait to check it out. Sky boxes look amazing from the screen shots. Curious to see how Condemend flows as it seems to be a few smallish round rooms connected by hallways from the pics. Hopefully it will play as well as it looks. A dedicated BTB map and dedicated large vehicle FF map has me pretty optimistic on how they will play.

Squall ASF said:
Thanks for the pic link, it suprisingly wasn't blocked from here. I'll have to wait until I get home to see the trailer you guys are raving about. Can't wait to check it out. Sky boxes look amazing from the screen shots. Curious to see how Condemend flows as it seems to be a few smallish round rooms connected by hallways from the pics. Hopefully it will play as well as it looks. A dedicated BTB map and dedicated large vehicle FF map has me pretty optimistic on how they will play.
It's not amazing or anything. At one point, an entire team goes into armor lock prior to them all throwing grenades at the other team surrounding them. Amazing Halo gameplay shown at it's finest.

Major Williams said:
It's not amazing or anything. At one point, an entire team goes into armor lock prior to them all throwing grenades at the other team surrounding them. Amazing Halo gameplay shown at it's finest.

So in other words, I'm going to cry about both the gameplay AND how beautiful the sky boxes look.

Squall ASF said:
So in other words, I'm going to cry about both the gameplay AND how beautiful the sky boxes look.
:lol indeed my friend.

The skyboxes were amazing. But that's a certainty with anything Halo.

I haven't put my Reach disc in my xbox for quite some time. I think I'm in a Halo slump.

So, it's Certain Affinity developing these maps. I'm not complaining, I loved Tombstone and Desolation, but when is 343 going to do something?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:
So, it's Certain Affinity developing these maps. I'm not complaining, I loved Tombstone and Desolation, but when is 343 going to do something?
my-patience-7.gif

Well I was looking forward to the FF map, but if it only has the rocket hog on it, (which I hope it isn't true), eh I may pass on this map pack as well.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Maybe Jaime and Max Hoberman can get back together with 343 to help re-create the original Halo magic. :p

Trailer looked awesome. Better than some of the recent Bungie trailers. I'm starting to think Bungie moving on might be better for everyone involved.

CrazedArabMan said:
Well I was looking forward to the FF map, but if it only has the rocket hog on it, (which I hope it isn't true), eh I may pass on this map pack as well.

I highly doubt that will be all. I expect ghosts and worthless mongoose(s). Map should be nice and big with plenty of vehicles running about. Too bad they can't throw banshees and falcons for use but a FF match would be broken if you could just rain down destruction from the sky.

So, I'm assuming Ghal was very pleased with the weekly?

Major Williams said:

Yeah it was moments in the trailer like that... and at roughly the 50 second mark when a dude is just waiting crouched to beatdown the first guy that runs past that really put me off.

Maps look amazing, and im sure the gameplay on them will be amazing, but that trailer sure didnt highlight the aspects of Halo I enjoy.

Squall ASF said:
I highly doubt that will be all. I expect ghosts and worthless mongoose(s). Map should be nice and big with plenty of vehicles running about. Too bad they can't throw banshees and falcons for use but a FF match would be broken if you could just rain down destruction from the sky.
So, I'm assuming Ghal was very pleased with the weekly?

So what? Its not like the Covenant is going to complain and refuse to buy the next Halo game. :p

Sometimes its fun just going on a rampage, using a Banshee or a Falcon in Firefight would be fun. Anyone who wants a pure experiance can just ignore them.

150 gamerpoints is a small number, isn't it? Am I remembering wrong, or haven't map packs traditionally had 250 points associated with them? Is there a significance we can read into this? Making headroom for more map packs than Halo 3 had?

Ramirez

Why is everyone sucking CA's dick so hard? They did 2 Halo maps, both of which were remakes. I await the inevitable "man these maps blow" after the newness wears off, heh.

Ramirez said:
Why is everyone sucking CA's dick so hard? They did 2 Halo maps, both of which were remakes. I await the inevitable "man these maps blow" after the newness wears off, heh.

Well I dont want to judge them yet and from the looks of it they have really embraced Reach's toolset to make some fantastic looking maps. Gameplay is king though, and theyre work on the Black Ops map pack was pretty bad. (If you look in that thread a lot of people just deleted the maps off theyre hard drive lol)

Im going to wait and see, it seems like the BTB map is going to fill a pretty big gap whilst being a really fun place to play on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:
And they were 2 good remakes. 2 for 2 is pretty good consistency vs. Bungie, if you'd like to put it that way.

Ramirez said:
New shit is new. And some of us like Reach more than you do to start with.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:

You seem to be increasingly bitter about Halo these days dude. =\

Folks should wait until they play the maps before judging them. Remember The Cage once looked promising. =P

No harm in getting excited though, they do look awesome.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:

Folks should wait until they play the maps before judging them. Remember The Cage once looked promising.
And they've been busy. They co-developed Halo Waypoint and did Age of Booty on XBLA (which is awesome), among other things. I guess I didn't realize that becoming a fan of a developer after liking their stuff constitutes dick sucking. You learn something every day!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit, other people on GAF like Reach? That's the most amazing thing I learned today!

Respek Knuckles to y'all.

Dani said:

Folks should wait until they play the maps before judging them. Remember The Cage once looked promising.
That gameplay video from Waypoint cleverly hid the shitter aspects of that map; fingers crossed for Defiant.

I like the idea of a large FF map with vehicles, but in all the games I've played, the amount of times anyone gets in the Rocket Hog or even the Ghost on Beachhead is minuscule. Maybe it's because you can tool around on foot fairly well on Beachhead, or maybe people are afraid of getting purposely betrayed by other players. Hopefully this new FF map will be a breath of fresh air for those of us who enjoy the best gametype in Reach.

squidhands said:
I like the idea of a large FF map with vehicles, but in all the games I've played, the amount of times anyone gets in the Rocket Hog or even the Ghost on Beachhead is minuscule. Maybe it's because you can tool around on foot fairly well on Beachhead, or maybe people are afraid of getting purposely betrayed by other players. Hopefully this new FF map will be a breath of fresh air for those of us who enjoy the best gametype in Reach.
You haven't played Firefight with me, then. I get in the Rocket Hog first thing every game on Beachhead :D

wwm0nkey said:
Would you guys buy a special edition of the Halo 1 remake if it came with Halo 2 on XBLA?
I'd buy a special edition Halo 1 remake if it required a pint of your own blood to open and had anthrax packaged inside. This is Halo 1 we're talking about here.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
And they've been busy. They co-developed Halo Waypoint and did Age of Booty on XBLA (which is awesome), among other things. I guess I didn't realize that becoming a fan of a developer after liking their stuff constitutes dick sucking. You learn something every day!

They also worked on Left 4 Dead, World at War, and Black Ops.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
They also worked on Left 4 Dead, World at War, and Black Ops.
Yup, that was the "other things". I didn't list them since I didn't play those games. But everything I've played or seen of theirs has been quality. And what we can see so far - the visuals - are superb.

Unrelated, I've found Firefight Limited the past couple days to be getting better, in terms of griefing. I still run into terrible players, but most of the time I get a partner or two that makes it work. And I die so infrequently (most of the time) that games go for a good long while. It's the most fun I've had in an online Halo game.

Self Induced said:
I'd buy a special edition Halo 1 remake if it required a pint of your own blood to open and had anthrax packaged inside. This is Halo 1 we're talking about here.
I couldn't agree more. MSRP of "Firstborn" would hardly make me bat an eye.

Just watched the trailer. Liked it a lot. Favorite part was seeing Hawty McBloggy get hog-turreted to death.

A March release date would put this ahead of the 2nd map pack released for Halo 3 correct? If that is the case, would it be reasonable to expect this pace to continue?

Bregmann Roche said:
Just watched the trailer. Liked it a lot. Favorite part was seeing Hawty McBloggy get hog-turreted to death.

A March release date would put this ahead of the 2nd map pack released for Halo 3 correct? If that is the case, would it be reasonable to expect this pace to continue?
Yup. But to your other question...it was awhile until we saw Halo 3's next map pack. But I think we got Cold Storage for free on Bungie Day.

Top Bottom