• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

feel

Survey now says:

We have had to suspend the survey for the moment due to technical difficulties.
Don't worry, it'll be back soon and you'll get another chance to fill it out.
You have not missed anything.

Going back to the Reach beta discussion for a quick sec... the public beta is actually more of a delta build, IIRC. Things like bloom and armor lock etc. are not subject to removal at this point in the development. They were presumably proven internally before it ever got to the public for "testing". Whatever they tested in the public beta would not have changed the inclusion of those mechanical things, regardless of the feedback. Balance was adjusted for and so forth but these things obviously weren't up for removal. The extent of the community's influence on Reach's gameplay during the Beta was very narrow in scope, albeit very important. These are just my humble thoughts on the subject. One truth to it all: without bloom, Reach would be a completely different game.

EDIT to mention Juices' well crafted critique on the Beta: I remember reading your thoughts. It was quite enjoyable, would read again. Can't wait to see what else you've come up with.

Louis Wu

Hey - does anyone have an easy way to search for some of the pics that showed up in this thread showing off huge numbers of Legendary editions sitting on store floors? Someone just asked me about those, and I couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance!

Tawpgun

So... Are they ever going to fix camo powerup? Also, remember the friendly camo jamming other friendly radar? They said they fixed it.... Nope.

lybertyboy said:
For everyone coming to PAX East:

Please send me a PM.
If only it were PAX Madison. Oh well, I guess I can just go down by the Capitol among all the protestors and pretend I'm there.

if i close my eyes, it'll probably smell the same

MrBig

lybertyboy said:

Please send me a PM.
Why does nothing happen in the sout east? All the other regions get some kind of awesome conventions. All we get here are air shows and gun conventions :(

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
MrBig said:
Why does nothing happen in the sout east? All the other regions get some kind of awesome conventions. All we get here are air shows and gun conventions :(

Hey, the Cherry Point air show was/is awesome!

A27 Tawpgun said:
So... Are they ever going to fix camo powerup? Also, remember the friendly camo jamming other friendly radar? They said they fixed it.... Nope.

I believe it was supposed to Jam both to make it fair.

Sai-kun

Banned
Nothing ever happens in Chicago :(

Edit: No, wait, we did get one of those ODST events, which was super rad. I've still got my special edition ODST helmet thing :)

Ahh, 343 love at Pax east and I'm not going this year :(. Wife and I are in the last steps of saving to buy a place in Brooklyn so we being frugal, so I'm not too crushed :)

Have fun pax goers!

O D I N

Sai-kun said:

Edit: No, wait, we did get one of those ODST events, which was super rad. I've still got my special edition ODST helmet thing :)

Wanted to go to that, but work was way too close time wise. :<

A man can hope that one day, we'll get something else.

EDIT: Got an email for the beta testing. WOOT!

Now I just wait for the questionnaire to come back up so I can fill that bad boy out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MrBig said:

Humid? Check.
Flying cockroaches? Check.

Kibbles

minasodaboy said:
If only it were PAX Madison. Oh well, I guess I can just go down by the Capitol among all the protestors and pretend I'm there.

if i close my eyes, it'll probably smell the same
I would totally go. Save Wisconsin, 343!

lybertyboy said:
Really? It is where I'm from in eastern NC.
Well, in parts I guess yeah. I'm in Wilmington right now and it gets a lot more humid here than it does in Raleigh. Well, I guess by humid Stinkles is referring to the point at which it becomes intolerable. It doesn't get that bad in Raleigh.

...just find an excuse to come out to NC!

OuterWorldVoice said:
Compared to the Northwest, it's like the interior of Sherif Buford T. Justice's undershorts after a marathon pie session.

:^)

And to get back on track, removing bloom would require weapon rebalancing across the board -- starting with the Needle Rifle.

It would beat the DMR every time.

Edit: Can we expect to hear about the achievements this week? Or are they going to be a surprise?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27 Tawpgun said:
Besides, bloom isn't even that bad. A good player will still always beat a worse player. However, there is SOME luck factor to the people who spam. It's just about knowing when to spam so you can't miss, and when to pace.
Except I've spammed full on one someone's chest and been rewarded with a headshot. This is why bloom is a failure.

I'm not going to complain about bloom. There's no point; Bungie can't/won't do anything about it. But instead of going with bloom, could we just have fixed firing rates instead? Like, the DMR would have a very slow rate of fire (same with the Nerfle). But I guess that would make the gameplay just as slow as leaving in bloom.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
I'm not going to complain about bloom. There's no point; Bungie can't/won't do anything about it. But instead of going with bloom, could we just have fixed firing rates instead? Like, the DMR would have a very slow rate of fire (same with the Nerfle). But I guess that would make the gameplay just as slow as leaving in bloom.
It could have a firing rate similar to that of the BR.

blamite

Sai-kun said:

That was a fun event. I got a "My other car s a warthog" license plate frame. :D

lybertyboy said:

Please send me a PM.

PM sent! So excited, my first PAX!

Dax01 said:
Well, in parts I guess yeah. I'm in Wilmington right now and it gets a lot more humid here than it does in Raleigh. Well, I guess by humid Stinkles is referring to the point at which it becomes intolerable. It doesn't get that bad in Raleigh.

...just find an excuse to come out to NC!

Heh, I'm in Fredericksburg, VA right now, but tomorrow I'm driving the 3.5 hours down to Raleigh... just to get on a plane to Boston for PAX. (Convinced one of my Raleigh friends to go with me, it's just easier that way.)

And in two weeks I'll be coming down to Wilmington for Wing Fling.
<3 NC

Karl2177

Dax01 said:
That'd be a problem because that would make it just as effective in close range as medium or long range (example: see BR).
And strangely enough, this is why the non-hitscan BR worked well.

ncsuDuncan said:
Heh, I'm in Fredericksburg, VA right now, but tomorrow I'm driving the 3.5 hours down to Raleigh... just to get on a plane to Boston for PAX. (Convinced one of my Raleigh friends to go with me, it's just easier that way.)

And in two weeks I'll be coming down to Wilmington for Wing Fling.
<3 NC
What's Wing Fling? Hey, maybe when you come down here, we can meet up.
GhaleonEB said:
Which is why there's bloom.
I thought about that, but when you're close up, bloom doesn't really do anything because you're so close to the player. Does it? At least, from what I've gathered while playing, it doesn't make a substantial difference. I'm thinking about bodyshots. Headshots are another thing.

Dax01 said:
What's Wing Fling? Hey, maybe when you come down here, we can meet up.

I thought about that, but when you're close up, bloom doesn't really do anything because you're so close to the player. At least, it doesn't make a substantial difference. I'm thinking about bodyshots too.
Wing Fling:
http://www.wilmingtonwingfling.com/
Cheap Beer + Live Music + Local Restaurant Buffalo Wings Competition

It used to be a BYOB college party thing, but The Man cracked down on it and it's a little less crazy. Not sure if I'll be available
sober
for a HaloGAF meetup, I'm not even sure what hotel I'm crashing at yet. I'll let you know when it's closer.

As for the eternal bloom debate: I really like the gameplay it adds, timing your shots and all, just take out the possibility of lucky headshots. Maybe if your reticle has bloomed past a point headshots still count as body shots.

Sai-kun

Banned
blamite said:
That was a fun event. I got a "My other car s a warthog" license plate frame. :D

Yeah, I got a couple too, my mom saw it and decided to put it on her car! I didn't even get a chance to suggest it before she went ahead and did it.

Gui_PT said:
I'm sure they'll talk about the achievements on the BWU

Must be, seems odd that we haven't heard about them yet. The Noble Achievements were shown in the weekly on 10-29 (maps released 11-30). Also the maps and achievements were in the bnet service records online weeks before the maps came out and they still aren't there for Defiant.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
Must be, seems odd that we haven't heard about them yet. The Noble Achievements were shown in the weekly on 10-29 (maps released 11-30). Also the maps and achievements were in the bnet service records online weeks before the maps came out and they still aren't there for Defiant.
I think it's easier for Bungie to talk about their own stuff, and integrate it into b.net for that reason. But I get the impression that the handoff of this content to Bungie for integration is quite recent, which means things like that are pushed closer to launch. In effect, Bungie is in charge of integrating content they didn't have a direct hand in making, they just get the finished product.

I just hope they had enough time to get the playlists set up well. I really want some Score Attack on Unearthed next week.

JB1981

How does the mode with the multiple flags in objective games work? I don't understand it. So you spawn with flags in your base and the enemy spawns with flags in theirs. Are you supposed to take their flags and then drop them in your base for a score? There is some kind of countdown timer involved but I can't for the life of me figure out how that gametype works.

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's easier for Bungie to talk about their own stuff, and integrate it into b.net for that reason. But I get the impression that the handoff of this content to Bungie for integration is quite recent, which means things like that are pushed closer to launch. In effect, Bungie is in charge of integrating content they didn't have a direct hand in making, they just get the finished product.

I just hope they had enough time to get the playlists set up well. I really want some Score Attack on Unearthed next week.

Yeah your probably right.

I certainly hope Unearthed is in Score Attack from day one because that will probably be the only way to play it.

JB1981 said:
How does the mode with the multiple flags in objective games work? I don't understand it. So you spawn with flags in your base and the enemy spawns with flags in theirs. Are you supposed to take their flags and then drop them in your base for a score? There is some kind of countdown timer involved but I can't for the life of me figure out how that gametype works.

Talking about Stockpile?

If so, bring flags back to your collection zone and the zone's score every 60 seconds. You get a point for each flag that is in your zone. Oh, and try to keep flags out of your opponents collection zone.

Raide

JB1981 said:

Flags are around the map, you collect them, bring them back to your base. After timed intervals flags that are in your base go towards your total.

Top Bottom