• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

JB1981 said:
How does the mode with the multiple flags in objective games work? I don't understand it. So you spawn with flags in your base and the enemy spawns with flags in theirs. Are you supposed to take their flags and then drop them in your base for a score? There is some kind of countdown timer involved but I can't for the life of me figure out how that gametype works.
I'm guessing you mean Stockpile, and it's much as you described.

There are four neutral flags on the map, which spawn randomly at any of 10 locations. Some are closer to one side or the other, some are along the center of the map.

The goal is to collect them and return them to your 'stockpile', the hill-like depository. Flags don't score instantly, though. Every minute, flags are collected, points awarded, and those flags are then reset to new random locations on the map. This allows players a chance to 'spoil' the opposing team's stockpile by yanking flags out before the collection timer goes off.

Think of it as ten, one-minute rounds, with flags collected every minute. First team to ten flags wins.

Gui_PT

JB1981 said:
How does the mode with the multiple flags in objective games work? I don't understand it. So you spawn with flags in your base and the enemy spawns with flags in theirs. Are you supposed to take their flags and then drop them in your base for a score? There is some kind of countdown timer involved but I can't for the life of me figure out how that gametype works.

Stockpile.

Flags spawn all over the map. You have your capture territory and the enemy team has theirs.

You have to put as many flags as possible in your territory before the timer runs out.

Once it runs out, all flags respawn and you have to go get them again. Whoever caps the most, wins

Edit: What Ghaleon said

Tawpgun

Stockpile. It's when the flags- oh wait.

A27_StarWolf said:
I believe it was supposed to Jam both to make it fair.
That's wrong, and REALLY dumb. A teammates camo is NOT suppose to jam your radar. That was a problem in the beta and they claimed to have fixed it. They have not. It doesn't happen as frequently, but it does happen. The radar jam effect is annoying enough. Don't need my teammates accidentally doing it.

Kujo

JB1981 said:
Stockpile.

It's where you be an asshole and take flags that your teammates have put into the circle and drop them off the map and then betray someone for the sniper and proceed to miss all shots. It's popular with 12 year olds

I gave Reach another chance. Played it for a few days. Now I'm done. Hate it with a passion. Cannot fathom what the dumbasses were thinking when they designed the game. I may even burn the copy of the disc and post of a video of it on youtube. Shit I may even burn the crappy ass statue that comes with the Legendary edition too, and the journal. Then I think I will microwave nuke the disc case.

Bungie got so caught up in making such a grand scale experience with campaign, firefight, and forge, that they forgot to nail down the most important part of the game: game play.

Armor lock as a cool method of defending yourself is one thing. Having it spam-able, last long enough to recover your shield, and drop other people's shield repeatedly so that armor lock can spam melee people to death is a fucking joke.

They made it 10 times easier for people to get away from gunfire with sprint, jetpacks, armor lock, invis, and bloom, and then they made normal weapons weak as shit. Combine those two things alone and you get a pile of shit ass.

But let's add even more power weapons and allow the assault rifle the ability to kill people from mid-distance quicker than you can kill with a needle rifle and battle rifle. Oh and let's make the pistol the biggest pussy weapon in halo history. Let's turn frag grenades into plasma grenades by making them gimpy as shit so that they never bounce.

I have another great idea. Let's make it so that pre-damage is completely negated when trying to melee people. Let's make it so that people have to flail around like snakes having sex, trying to melee each other twice instead of having a smooth and streamlined damage system. In fact, let's just make it so that nothing in the game makes any sense regarding damage. Let's make everything a crapshoot crapfest.

That should make everything juusssssstttt right.

I check the weekly update still, for reasons unknown to man. Halo has turned into a freaking Avon party. Let's dress up and see what cool pictures we can get this week. I can't believe one of my favorite game franchises of all time went princess maker and forgot its roots.

Gui_PT

How about giving the game to someone who wants it but can't afford it?

And you could mail me the statue :D (srsly, mail me the statue, I couldn't get one for myself. Will pay for shipping kthks)

Thermite

JB1981 said:

It's a game of capture and defense.
:p

KevinRo

Deputy Moonman said:
I gave Reach another chance. Played it for a few days. Now I'm done. Hate it with a passion. Cannot fathom what the dumbasses were thinking when they designed the game. I may even burn the copy of the disc and post of a video of it on youtube. Shit I may even burn the crappy ass statue that comes with the Legendary edition too, and the journal. Then I think I will microwave nuke the disc case.

Bungie got so caught up in making such a grand scale experience with campaign, firefight, and forge, that they forgot to nail down the most important part of the game: game play.

Armor lock as a cool method of defending yourself is one thing. Having it spam-able, last long enough to recover your shield, and drop other people's shield repeatedly so that armor lock can spam melee people to death is a fucking joke.

They made it 10 times easier for people to get away from gunfire with sprint, jetpacks, armor lock, invis, and bloom, and then they made normal weapons weak as shit. Combine those two things alone and you get a pile of shit ass.

But let's add even more power weapons and allow the assault rifle the ability to kill people from mid-distance quicker than you can kill with a needle rifle and battle rifle. Oh and let's make the pistol the biggest pussy weapon in halo history. Let's turn frag grenades into plasma grenades by making them gimpy as shit so that they never bounce.

I have another great idea. Let's make it so that pre-damage is completely negated when trying to melee people. Let's make it so that people have to flail around like snakes having sex, trying to melee each other twice instead of having a smooth and streamlined damage system. In fact, let's just make it so that nothing in the game makes any sense regarding damage. Let's make everything a crapshoot crapfest.

I check the weekly update still, for reasons unknown to man. Halo has turned into a freaking Avon party. Let's dress up and see what cool pictures we can get this week. I can't believe one of my favorite game franchises of all time went princess maker and forgot its roots.

this

I would say he has no real reason to visit/post here anymore but with the Halo 2 wardrum beating hard by some here (fighting the good fight :p) I fear he may stick around. Srsly though, send gui the statue.

Deputy Moonman said:

Somewhere in Bungie's new studio, Sage is stroking his beard and laughing. Laughing so hard, in fact, that it echoes throughout the building.

Gui_PT

Hydranockz said:
I would say he has no real reason to visit/post here anymore but with the Halo 2 wardrum beating hard by some here (fighting the good fight :p) I fear he may stick around. Srsly though, send gui the statue.

This man shows great wisdom. Especially with that last part.

Kujo

Dax01 said:
Somewhere in Bungie's new studio, Sage is stroking his beard and laughing. Laughing so hard, in fact, that it echoes throughout the building.
But you see, Deputy Moonman is Sage

2w6trbd.jpg

CyReN

Deputy Moonman said:

Agreed on most parts.

If there's any hope for the series it will be with 343 at this point. They seem like they don't want to disappoint.

All you guys that are loving 343 now, let me say this;

May God help you when 343 wants to innovate down the line and does something to upset your Halo utopia.

I actually laughed at Moonman's rant. Partially because I agree with most of it, partially because it's worded jjjjjuuuuuuuuuust right.

Edit: I miss Voc (watched that youtube vid)

CyReN

Hydranockz said:

May God help you when 343 wants to innovate down the line and does something to upset your Halo utopia.

We have nothing to lose at this point.

Havok

Mojo said:
But you see, Deputy Moonman is Sage

The self hatred is strong in this one.
Hydranockz said:

It's mostly just a case of them saying the right things at this point. I felt very good about them and Certain Affinity after the behind the scenes video where they acknowledged the strengths of past Halo games instead of just assuring that 'no really this will be better trust us.' Transparency goes a long way, even if it won't necessarily pay off in the end. (This isn't a condemnation of Bungie or anything, just an observation of why things have shifted like they have.)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:

What's the worst they could do? Let you move around with armor lock?

An AA which makes your opponents bloom get bigger?

Tawpgun

CyReN said:
We have nothing to lose at this point.

It's all a matter of which group of players 343 will choose to listen to.

The casual halo players that will supply the sales. Or the long term Halo fans that will give the game legs.

kylej

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:

Wasn't that cathartic? Nailed it. For absolutely no reason I have faith in 343 saving this franchise. Gotta be patient.

Falagard

A27 Tawpgun said:
It's all a matter of which group of players 343 will choose to listen to.

The casual halo players that will supply the sales. Or the long term Halo fans that will give the game legs.

They're not mutually exclusive. For casual Halo players, give them a great campaign and some "fun" multiplayer playlists. For the long term Halo fans, give them great core gameplay and great multiplayer maps.

I hope 343 does well, honestly. I just won't lose faith in gaming forever if they so much as change one thing for my perfect Halo game. It's the kind of exaggerated vibe I get off some of your posts :p That's all.

Tawpgun

At the heart of all of this is sales and industry trends.

And let's face it, with the massive success of Call of Duty, the trends aren't looking good for Halo fans.

Skill based, teamwork oriented, equal footing, reticle aiming, long kill times? PFFFFT YEAH RIGHT.

YO I UNLOCKED MY BR WITH FULL AUTO PERK. 7 KILL STREAK SON. ORBITAL STRIKE INBOUND.

Oh god 343... listen to Halo fans, not all gamers.

You know what they should do. Almost like a VIP beta. Reserved for players that have shown large interest in Halo (have all games, tons of games played, active in community ect.) The hard part is figuring out a way to make entry to this fair.

The beta would then also open up the the public, but for those first few weeks it would be like playing matchmaking and EVERYONE is cool.

CyReN

A27 Tawpgun said:
You know what they should do. Almost like a VIP beta. Reserved for players that have shown large interest in Halo (have all games, tons of games played, active in community ect.) The hard part is figuring out a way to make entry to this fair.

The beta would then also open up the the public, but for those first few weeks it would be like playing matchmaking and EVERYONE is cool.

Love that idea, I remember I got into the Halo 3 beta for being a long time Bungie member (not sure how exclusive it was). Just something for a true halo vet to try out their game and give constructive criticism.

I still love halo and want to play it. Just something happened during 3/Reach that turned me off.

Deputy Moonman said:

Yeah that'll show em.

Tawpgun

CyReN said:
Love that idea, I remember I got into the Halo 3 beta for being a long time Bungie member (not sure how exclusive it was). Just something for a true halo vet to try out their game and give constructive criticism.

I still love halo and want to play it. Just something happened during 3/Reach that turned me off.

We just need to think of fair ways to gain access. I would do by total Halo 3/Reach games played, but that might be unfair to some people who can't play it that often. Then again, if they haven't played too much, then they tend to not know about the finer problems with the game.

Perhaps Halo Waypoint Score? But that means all the competitive players who don't care about achievements won't get in. Ugh.

A27 Tawpgun said:

It's called Friends and Family, and it is incredible.

Honestly I had so much fun playing Reach/Halo 3 during the F&F portion of the beta... Made me wish it would never open up to the public.

LosDaddie

Banned
I sincerely hope moonman, and everyone who agrees with him, makes good on his promise to burn the Reach disc. That way we GAFers who still play REach won't have to read his rants anymore.

Seriously, how many of you regular complainers in here still play Reach?

Speaking of actually playing Reach; Anyone want to do the LASO run with me in a few minutes? I'm getting ready to hop online. GT = LosDaddie

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:

Honestly I had so much fun playing Reach/Halo 3 during the F&F portion of the beta... Made me wish it would never open up to the public.

Reach F&F wasn't exactly pure, due to the MS site exploit, there was 1000's of Bnet kids flooding online every hour.

It didn't even take an hour for the first teabagging/body punching and being called all kinds of insults in the lobby by high pitched toned kiddos.

MrBig

Devin Olsen said:

Yes that was one of my favorite matchmaking experiences (the Halo 3 F&F). Everyone was nice and I actually left my mic on. Now I only plug in my mic during customs or when I have a party for mm.

Tawpgun

Devin Olsen said:

See, I would consider myself knowledgable of what makes a Halo game great. So do many others who didn't get Friends and Family invites. That's sort of this exclusive club you have almost no control over.

Perhaps they'll allow
-Friends and Family
-Must Own Halo 2 Halo 3 ODST Reach (no way to check CE) + Must have played a set amount of Halo games in Halo 2, 3, Reach. (To get rid of the people who hop on Halo bandwagon and get off.

Now, unrelated, but I think I've come up with a fix for the melee system in Halo 4(working title)

I REALLY hated AR rushing and the beat down centric gameplay of Halo 3.
But I also REALLY hate the people who rush at you without shooting and melee you to get on even ground. I'm generally good with knowing when to shoot the rusher and when to melee him, but it's still aggravating.

So. Keep the shield system like it is in Reach. BUT add an advantage to people who do more damage.

The more damage you have, the more stunned you are and the longer it takes to reset melee or shoot.

Or go back to Halo CE melee's. That works too. And I'm not sure if this was in CE, but keep that melee dodging that was in Halo 2. The one where if you crouched, and the guy melee'd at eye level they would miss. I miss that.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Now, unrelated, but I think I've come up with a fix for the melee system in Halo 4(working title)

But I also REALLY hate the people who rush at you without shooting and melee you to get on even ground. I'm generally good with knowing when to shoot the rusher and when to melee him, but it's still aggravating.

So. Keep the shield system like it is in Reach. BUT add an advantage to people who do more damage.

The more damage you have, the more stunned you are and the longer it takes to reset melee or shoot.

Or go back to Halo CE melee's. That works too. And I'm not sure if this was in CE, but keep that melee dodging that was in Halo 2. The one where if you crouched, and the guy melee'd at eye level they would miss. I miss that.
Halo 2 inertial melees for life! Skill required to be a good ball/flag/bomb/Brute Shot guy!

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:
See, I would consider myself knowledgable of what makes a Halo game great. So do many others who didn't get Friends and Family invites. That's sort of this exclusive club you have almost no control over.

Perhaps they'll allow
-Friends and Family
-Must Own Halo 2 Halo 3 ODST Reach (no way to check CE) + Must have played a set amount of Halo games in Halo 2, 3, Reach. (To get rid of the people who hop on Halo bandwagon and get off.
Throw in membership at bungie.net or whatever the 343i site may be.

Somewhat going away from that, but still keeping the idea: AR/Plasma Repeater need to do more damage. 19 STK for AR? No wonder people don't want to shoot and instead just run up and melee.

A27 Tawpgun said:

BXJumpB > BXCrouchB

Tawpgun

Well it's just that the AR Melee has been replaced by the

RUSH -> MELEE -> JUMP BACK -> FIRST TO HEADSHOT WINS

Sure it might take more skill than AR rushing, but its still annoying as hell. You know. This isn't even the melee systems problem now that I think of it. It's sprint.

When coupled with a non-speed AA people will never melee rush you. They might melee you before shields are down, but they won't actively rush at you, making the decision to go for the

RUSH -> MELEE -> JUMP BACK -> FIRST TO HEADSHOT WINS

than to get into an actual firefight.

CLASSIC PLAYLIST HURRY

Dani said:
Reach F&F wasn't exactly pure, due to the MS site exploit, there was 1000's of Bnet kids flooding online every hour.

It didn't even take an hour for the first teabagging/body punching and being called all kinds of insults in the lobby by high pitched toned kiddos.
What was the exploit? I am curious

CyReN

Devin Olsen said:
What was the exploit? I am curious

Microsoft ExpertZone site wasn't secure enough so people could take their quiz for Halo Reach and get a beta code. I'm in their program legitimately (work retail) and got it through them too. I remember the site crashing a lot during that day and the following.

neclas

Dani said:
Haven't heard about this... but it certainly would explain why I found the Halo 3 F&F to be so much more enjoyable than the Reach one.

A27 Tawpgun said:
At the heart of all of this is sales and industry trends.

And let's face it, with the massive success of Call of Duty, the trends aren't looking good for Halo fans.

Skill based, teamwork oriented, equal footing, reticle aiming, long kill times? PFFFFT YEAH RIGHT.

YO I UNLOCKED MY BR WITH FULL AUTO PERK. 7 KILL STREAK SON. ORBITAL STRIKE INBOUND.
Yes, but that trend has literally turned every other shooter out there into a farcical clone, with COD's only claim to fame now being 60fps and a better marketing machine. We're completely super saturated with that nonsense already, and hell, its not even limited to shooters anymore.

Halo is one of the few series that stands its ground, for meaty replayable campaigns, emergent battles, strong AI, a wide selection of tactical options over land, air and ground combat, unlockables without imbalance, strong co-op and the best peer to peer netcode out there. Its the whole damn package and I only see further room for refinement and improvement.

TL;DR: COD me-too-ism is destroying too many games dammit. Its about as likely for your COD clone to hit blockbuster success as it is for your local web developer to make the next Facebook.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Perhaps they'll allow
-Friends and Family

The trick is that Bungie will have to do this with out telling anyone what the qualifications are. That way no one can get in that does not deserve it.

KevinRo

CyReN said:
Microsoft ExpertZone site wasn't secure enough so people could take their quiz for Halo Reach and get a beta code. I'm in their program legitimately (work retail) and got it through them too. I remember the site crashing a lot during that day and the following.

Yeah, everyone on GAF had it and I was l ate to it. Eventually I sucked Frankies dick for a code.

Top Bottom