• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Flipyap said:
E3ric.jpg

K7MVV.jpg

Striker said:
I played Highlands for both CTF and Slayer, and it certainly does have issues with certain power weapons on the map, either in terms of ammo count, max count, or spawn timing. In terms of movement, I mostly agree.

- Remove Rockets from each base, place one in the pelican with just two shots, 180 respawn
- Place Pro Pipe in the bases at each locale the Rockets used to be, put a rather small clip, but at the top of my head I'm not sure what shots it would amount to
- Remove the Laser; without any vehicles outside chaingun Warthog or Ghosts being relevant in the map, it serves no purpose. If not a Sniper at the waterfall, I would just go ahead and put a Concussion rifle there
- Keep the plasma launcher at the middle structure opposite the waterfall tower, it is okay
- Reduce the sniper ammo, 8 shots seem formal

Now, will this happen soon? I hope... make this quick adjustment, release the info regarding the Classic Playlist, and dish away the sweetness for early April. :)

That said, I love the flag placement. It's in an ideal location. Now to get Assault in there. Multi-Bomb and Neutral Assault would be outstanding.

-Rockets in each base are fair, its how often they spawn
-We need a laser map D:

Striker said:
I played Highlands for both CTF and Slayer, and it certainly does have issues with certain power weapons on the map, either in terms of ammo count, max count, or spawn timing. In terms of movement, I mostly agree.

- Remove Rockets from each base, place one in the pelican with just two shots, 180 respawn
- Place Pro Pipe in the bases at each locale the Rockets used to be, put a rather small clip, but at the top of my head I'm not sure what shots it would amount to
- Remove the Laser; without any vehicles outside chaingun Warthog or Ghosts being relevant in the map, it serves no purpose. If not a Sniper at the waterfall, I would just go ahead and put a Concussion rifle there
- Keep the plasma launcher at the middle structure opposite the waterfall tower, it is okay
- Reduce the sniper ammo, 8 shots seem formal
I approve of all these changes. If the Pro Pipe had five shots in it (instead of eight), with a 30 second respawn, I'd go along with it. That weapon is so much fun on Highlands.

Has anybody been following those posts by Hive over at HBO with weird posts about a ship and such? Can anybody tell me what that has been about?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ElzarTheBam said:
I have put this on HBO, but i will shamelessly copy and paste it here, my thoughts on what i would like to see in terms of weapon placements on highlands (maybe you guys could try it for one of your custom nights?).

-Remove rocket launcher from both bases and put one slap bang in the middle of the island or pelican, there needs to be reason to promote battle there, as of now no one bothers with the grenade launcher that there is at the moment. Rockets should be on 180 second respawns with max two rockets.

-Replace the current version of the rocket launcher spawn, with grenade launchers, low ammo with 180 sec spawns.

-Now there is (always) a problem with shotguns and teleporters, being placed where they are, it promotes teleporter camping. However, putting shotguns anywhere in the map itself, would lead to the same results, why? It's a player mentality, the best bet would be to just remove them completely from the map. However, the shotgun in reach is a wonderful weapon, id hate to see that. So i propose placing them next to the flag where the sniper spawns now, great for someone defending that flag, again 180 sec respawn and low ammo.

-Now, to the snipers, i feel the best bet would be to take laser and plasma launcher out of play, and replace it with the sniper rifle, provides a bigger view for the sniper, yet he is more vulnrable from many sides staying there aka teleporters, steps etc. Again a longer respawn, but the current ammo is fine.

Everything else in terms of weapon placement is fine.

-This is a maybe but i would like to see two warthogs per base, perhaps a chain gun and gauss variant, and 1 ghost each side. The hogs should have a 120 sec respawn, just to give some room to breath for the infantry.

Thats all i can think of at the momemt, thanks for reading! Do you agree or disagree, what would you change?

Just read your post on HBO and was going to reply there. =P

Funny thing, many of your suggestions follow the exact changes I have made to the map.

Here's the run-down I have made to a particular variant.

- Changed variable spawning to fixed spawning for Slayer. Teams spawn on one side of the map only - corresponds to your starting base side.
- Slightly altered position of Ghosts to be equal distance from each base
- Ghost spawn timers increased to 120
- Added two sticky grenade spawns on team base
- Rockets in middle of map with two spare rounds, 180 respawn timer, only 1 Rocket Launcher on map at any time
- Replaced original Rocket spawn with Pro Pipe, 5 ammo and 180 respawn - only two on map at any time
- Shotgun moved to back of bases, increased respawn timer to 180
- Laser and Plasma Launcher replaced by moving Sniper to their respective locations
- Sniper spawn time increased to 180, only two Snipers on map at any time
- Extra Warthog added to each base (for BTB)
- Warthog respawn timer increased from 45 to 60

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Has anybody been following those posts by Hive over at HBO with weird posts about a ship and such? Can anybody tell me what that has been about?
Some sort of fanfic. It's made the forum almost unreadable lately, I keep checking back to see if it's blown over yet.

Hey You

witness said:
Oh shit they fixed unearthed for matchmaking! Awesome, will definitely play this evening after work and probably all weekend. Halfway through Major 3, Lt. Col. ho!
Fixed? What was wrong with it? The load issue?

Dani said:
Just read your post on HBO and was going to reply there. =P

Funny thing, many of your suggestions follow the exact changes I have made to the map.

Here's the run-down I have made to a particular variant.

- Changed variable spawning to fixed spawning for Slayer. Teams spawn on one side of the map only - corresponds to your starting base side.
- Slightly altered position of Ghosts to be equal distance from each base
- Ghost spawn timers increased to 120
- Added two sticky grenade spawns on team base
- Rockets in middle of map with two spare rounds, 180 respawn timer, only 1 Rocket Launcher on map at any time
- Replaced original Rocket spawn with Pro Pipe, 5 ammo and 180 respawn - only two on map at any time
- Shotgun moved to back of bases, increased respawn timer to 180
- Laser and Plasma Launcher replaced by moving Sniper to their respective locations
- Sniper spawn time increased to 180, only two Snipers on map at any time
- Extra Warthog added to each base (for BTB)
- Warthog respawn timer increased from 45 to 60
Dani, I think you should lower the respawn rate of the Pro Pipe down to...30 seconds. Okay, 45... Please? *teary eyes*

Have you looked at the neutral spawns on your map edit? Highlands BTB Slayer has neutral spawn points like Tempest and Breakpoint. Instead of there being a red base and a blue base, over the course of the game, they both become purple bases.
GhaleonEB said:
Some sort of fanfic. It's made the forum almost unreadable lately, I keep checking back to see if it's blown over yet.
Okay that's good. Thought I was having trouble following something important.

Highlands:

Remove Snipers

Condemned:

Remove Snipers (Except maybe in Slayer Pro or Doubles variants)

----

No reason for them on either map.

Highlands becomes a completely defensive map everyone sitting back on their side waiting for a few people to come onto their side and then get double teamed. Snipers perching from afar picking off anyone stupid enough to come into view. Lasers sitting back waiting for vehicles to come into view. Shotguns/Rockets camping flag. This map is big and should never see 4v4 or 5v5, Its a map that needs 12 or more players at all times. There are way too many crevices/stations/houses/rocks/tunnels etc places someone could hideout. Objectives needs modes that are quickly timed or else people are going to get very bored.

Condemned reminds me of some retarded love child of Orbital and Cold Storage. Its layout is atrocious and in no way intuitive its like a frankenstein of so many other maps all smashed into one. No reason to have Snipers on that map though. If parts are blocked like in Uplink it might work well in TS or Doubles, but nothing else really, maybe Multi-Team if it went back to 2v2 and probably only if less teams like in H3. Maybe a Team Objective Oddball or possibly One Flag.

Haven't played the FF map yet.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
Dani, I think you should lower the respawn rate of the Pro Pipe down to...30 seconds. Okay, 45... Please? *teary eyes*

Have you looked at the neutral spawns on your map edit? Highlands BTB Slayer has neutral spawn points like Tempest and Breakpoint. Instead of there being a red base and a blue base, over the course of the game, they both become purple bases.

Okay that's good. Thought I was having trouble following something important.

Propipe is a power weapon when folks like you get your mits on it, a particularly anti-vehicle power weapon on map designed to promote vehicular fun, so it needs taming. =P

Of course I have looked at the neutral spawns. I have changed the behaviour of the spawns on the map completely. Highlands is set up like Breakpoint and Tempest by default and I do not like this system so I changed it. Just like Halo 3, the base you spawn on at the start if YOUR base and YOUR side of the map. On my variant it stays that way.

Spawns still work normally, except you won't spawn on the enemy side. Ever. Because that's jut silly. =)

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Highlands:

Remove Snipers

Condemned:

Remove Snipers (Except maybe in Slayer Pro or Doubles variants)

----

No reason for them on either map.
Hire Juices.

Edit: still can't upload my Unearthed games to File Share. Hopefully that hits soon.

I've got a Highlands clip cooking, but that rendering functionality isn't on b.net yet. Will post when it's ready.

O D I N

Dani said:
Propipe is a power weapon when folks like you get your mits on it, a particularly anti-vehicle power weapon on map designed to promote vehicular fun, so it needs taming. =P

Propipe for life.

Also: I agree with Juices that Highlands and Condemned could do without the sniper. They just cause me frustration on the new maps.
Dani said:
Of course I have looked at the neutral spawns. I have changed the behaviour of the spawns on the map completely. Highlands is set up like Breakpoint and Tempest by default and I do not like this system so I changed it. Just like Halo 3, the base you spawn on at the start if YOUR base and YOUR side of the map. On my variant it stays that way.

Spawns still work normally, except you won't spawn on the enemy side. Ever. Because that's jut silly. =)
Excellent. Yeah, I don't really like this new system either. I don't understand the new fascination with neutral spawn points in Reach.

*sigh* It's true, sadly (as I am about to demonstrate). Many Ghosts and 'Hogs have fallen to the wayside against my Pro Pipe.

Speaking of which, I have some Pro Pipe™ action on Highlands for you guys.

1. The Pipe of Highlands.
2. Pro Pipe vs Ghost.

Enjoy.

CyReN

Going to a Halo Rach Lan (MLG Rules) tonight, can't wait to finally play the v3 rules and test the bloom out more on lan.

Dax01 said:

Speaking of which, I have some Pro Pipe™ action on Highlands for you guys.

1. The Pipe of Highlands.
2. Pro Pipe vs Ghost.

Enjoy.
Great clips, Dax! You certainly are beastly with that thing. I'm now properly excited to finally play some games on Highlands after what has turned out to be a monster of a week at work. Also, I'm stoked to know that we can finally party up and find games on Unearthed.
I'm so old and rusty I shutter at the thought of running customs with you all but if I'm feeling brave I might just say F*** it and try to join you guys.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
It's working now (as you can see from the clips I posted). Render away! :)
Yup, saw your post and checked back. Yay!

Still can't upload my old Unearthed games, though. Soon, hopefully.

I mentioned before that I don't think shotguns and teleporters mix well on the same map, and that I drew that conclusion after one game.

I decided to test that theory last night.

12 of my 16 kills ended up being with the shotty around the teleporter, as in the clip above. Mind you, I wasn't doing this strictly to be a jerk. It was for science.

I suggest the shotguns either be removed, or moved much further away from the teleporters. Again, don't put weapons in their position of ideal use. If the laser needs to be on the map, put it in the Pelican. Put the shotguns out in the open.

Remove the snipers. As Juices said, Highlands is bursting with nooks and crannies and that locks down too much of the map. Not every BTB map needs snipers on it. Standoff was one of my favorite BTB maps because it was designed to play without a sniper rifle, and it was much better off for it. Highlands would likewise play very differently - better, more free flowing - were snipers not picking off everyone in the center or high ground.

Oh my god, Ghaleon. You're almost to a hero. Haha.

I am joining the campaign to remove the sniper from Highlands. I didn't really like Standoff, but I could only imagine how much more I would have disliked it if it had the sniper on it.

Edit: Dani, did you add any mancannons to your version of Highlands?! I must know this!

Striker

Dani said:
Well, of course. Typically on larger asymmetrical maps it tends to be this way. It wasn't always that way in Halo 3. For example, in Team Slayer on Sandtrap, they'll spawn everywhere. I recall multiple moments of having them spawn behind me in the big structure area. Game begins, few guys died, I'm at the base 30 seconds into the game and readying to take down a Chopper or Warthog, and bam, getting shot in the back because they just spawned there. But overall, on maps that feature two sides like Containment, Valhalla, Coagulation, Waterworks, etc., the spawns are set up where you primarily spawn at your own base, which is completely fine.

In maps like Relic, Headlong, Terminal, spawning everywhere is perfectly suitable. Halo 3 featured no asymmetrical BTB maps, so of course that was not frequent. That said, I would love for a BTB map released later for a 1-flag and 1-bomb setup. The game needs one since Bungie hasn't adapted Spire up to par, and Breakpoint is rather vehicle heavy. A map that is historically built for BTB like Highlands but created for one side gametypes would be outstanding.

EDIT

Standoff was too small for a great BTB balance. Much better for Squad Battle (12 players). Tempest is the same way.

MrBig

Bloom would hardly change in lan, since it's hitscan, unlike the spread + bullet travel time of the BR that would have been smooth as butter in lan.

e:
SomeOneInaHat said:
Downloaded

Also it looks like Ghaleon is back at the top of his own thread, finally surpassing shogun.

A27_StarWolf said:
I still think the power weapons on highlands should stay, with decreased ammo and spawns
And the run-time maximums need to be set, theres no reason for there to be multiples of the already abundant power weapons.

Kujo

I wanna say that as far as map design goes, Highlands is probably my favourite in Reach. Feels like a map that would be at home in Halo 2 DLC

feel

about highlands, very much agreeing with:

-Removing sniper
-Removing rockets from sides
-Putting rockets in the middle, o anything that could make people consider moving away from the bases and risk walking straight through the middle
-Removing teleporters (shotguns just set camp there all match)
-Putting mancannons all over the place.

At the very least someone make these changes to it in time for the saturday customs. The 8v8 highlands gaf game I walked into the other day was just pathetic and there was no reason for it to be like that when it's a custom game we have control over.

Dani said:
I get it first choice every time in FF Arcade and Score Attack. =)

I would be excited, but Dani, weren't you that one that gets DLC maps in matchmaking on a regular basis when the rest of us never see them?

You are a wizard apparently

CyReN said:
Going to a Halo Rach Lan (MLG Rules) tonight, can't wait to finally play the v3 rules and test the bloom out more on lan.

You can spam even more on LAN. Fun...

Karl2177 said:
Has anyone tinkered around with Focus Rifles on Highlands? Use those instead of the Snipers.
The biggest problem with the Focus Rifle (aside from it's unnecessary nerfing after the beta) is the battery life. Way too long, and it (still) can't be adjusted in forge. It's disheartening, could have been my favorite Halo weapon of all time.

CyReN

The Real Napsta said:
Nice. I wish more people did LANs in W. Michigan.

The lan is in Corunna,MI. Middle of the state if it helps. There's a lan center that's going to be having a huge lan next weekend I think in Sturgis if that's any better.

Karl2177 said:
I'm probably taking this way out of context, but have they altered bloom or are you saying that LAN makes bloom more consistent?

Better on lan.

Hey You

We are so excited to have Condemned, Highlands, and Unearthed out in the wild, and, in my opinion, there is only one way to properly celebrate that particular occasion: by playing with all of you! If you'd like to join us for some frenetic Defiant Map Pack action, set aside a few hours this evening for some shenanigan-filled festivities. Details as follows.

Where: Xbox Live, on the Defiant Maps

When: Friday, March 18th, 5-7 pm PDT

Who: You and-

bs angel
VeroHime
Total Sellout
Mr Vociferous
TheDrMouse
Lowest Ranked
SamPand
Farnuithil

How
: Send a text message over Xbox Live to one of the above gamertags expressing your interest in participating. Then sign on at the designated time, and patiently await your invite. We'll be rolling with a few different parties, so some people will be contacted promptly at 5 pm, while others may hear from us at 6:30 or after. We can't guarantee you'll get an invite, but it's our goal to play with as many as people as possible.

Hope to see you tonight!
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/blog/defiant-map-pack-playdate-tonight/37832

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
This is so cool. Really great of them. Maybe we can get a GAF/343i thing going? Will it be with all of them at once?
I'd imagine it would be like 2 or 3 to a party. That would be fun though.

No really, I feel like by removing these big weapons from a BTB map makes it no fun at all.

Whats so wrong about having power weapons on a big team battle map? It's not like were playing on an MLG map.

Higher spawn times, keep all the same weapons.

EDIT- What time zone? PDT right?

Quick explanation of Jenga for an airhead like me? I want to say people try and stay on the tower but it's the details beyond that that elude me :p

Hydranockz said:
Quick explanation of Jenga for an airhead like me? I want to say people try and stay on the tower but it's the details beyond that that elude me :p

Zombies launch random things toward the Jenga tower to make it topple, making the Humans fall off.

Hydranockz said:
A certain number of people try to stay on the tower while some dude down below tries to destroy the tower (make it fall apart).

Striker

There's a point of going overkill. There's no need for: two snipers, two rockets, plasma launcher, grenade launcher, and a spartan laser. All for just two Warthogs and two Ghosts? Plus if its in BTB, you will spawn with a DMR which itself is a formidable weapon to rely on against vehicles on a map that has ample coverage.

Hydranockz said:

You stay on the tower, flying objects of doom come in your direction. Don't die!

MrBig

Dax01 said:
This is so cool. Really great of them. Maybe we can get a GAF/343i thing going? Will it be with all of them at once?
I'd join a 343 vs GAF game.

Hydranockz said:
3 explanations? You sure know how to make a gal feel special :lol Sounds awesome. I remember seeing a version of it on Standoff.

Was it Nokyard or Ghaleon that mentioned making a Hallway map at customs last week?

That reminds me that I could also look into making Garbage Man in highlands as well.

Yes I made the original on Standoff.

3 explanations? You sure know how to make a gal feel special :lol Sounds awesome. I remember seeing a version of it on Standoff.

Was it Nokyard or Ghaleon that mentioned making a Hallway map at customs last week?

A27_StarWolf said:
No really, I feel like by removing these big weapons from a BTB map makes it no fun at all.

Whats so wrong about having power weapons on a big team battle map? It's not like were playing on an MLG map.

Higher spawn times, keep all the same weapons.

EDIT- What time zone? PDT right?

I feel like in Highlands you got plenty of vehicles and theres plenty of anti vehicle weapons (grenade launcher, rockets, and laser) so its lots of vehicles and lots of anti vehicles. Then you have snipe really stopping any infantry flow on foot. I think it would be more frenzied without the caution of having to worry about a snipe at all. Its just so deadly compared to everything else.

Plus when did we decide that every single map needs a damn sniper?

Hydranockz said:
Surely you've played the Standoff version with us before?
Used to be all the craze. Wish I could play the new version :(

Top Bottom