• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Risen said:
I second that...

and for Halo 4 perhaps my single biggest hope is for smaller rather than larger maps for 4v4 game play.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/video/mlg-video/1049023053001-finals-team-3d-vs-team-phreaks-mlg-new-york-2005-national-championships

This video of 3D (Final Boss) vs Team Phreaks (Carbon) from 2005 is exactly why there are players who do not want/need Sprint and why people want a reduction in the nade damage. Note how fast the game play is, note how quickly players are shot off spawn, and note how precise pros had to be in order to get nade kills.

The video above is all about the gun, the grenade, and the melee - and winning is predicated on how quickly a team/individual reacts to a situation at hand. But it is all made possible by the map first.

Maps make or break the multi-player experience and are perhaps the single greatest factor in any given match.
Woo! Button combos breaking the sandbox!

Yeesh. The maps don't mean anything if the gameplay is lackluster. I only watched five minutes in, but things got really stale because the game that far in showcased nothing but BRs. Really, really dull. But I guess that's due to the MLG gametype more than anything. A game of MLG Oddball in Halo 3 largely plays out the same way. But at least there aren't any button glitches.

Kuroyume

Banned
It takes on average 8,000 posts of bitching to have something changed in Halo. We're at about 5,575 posts to finally have Evade nuked from Spartans.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:

Yeesh. The maps don't mean anything if the gameplay is lackluster. I only watched five minutes in, but things got really stale because the game that far in showcased nothing but BRs. Really, really dull. But I guess that's due to the MLG gametype more than anything. A game of MLG Oddball in Halo 3 largely plays out the same way. But at least there aren't any button glitches.

Watching people spray needlers and ARs would be oh so exhilarating.

Sai-kun

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
ThrowingUpRainbow.gif

Can this PLEASE be a new armor effect in Halo 4? Please? :lol

Blinding

Dax01 said:
I only watched five minutes in, but things got really stale because the game that far in showcased nothing but BRs. Really, really dull.

I disagree, the level of precision, communication, strategy, and team work needed back then was ridiculous and kept it entertaining. It's not just about the weapon for me, it's about the gameplay as a whole, and it was fast, frantic, and very exciting to me.

senador

Banned
Dax01 said:
It would certainly be more interesting! Never get tired of seeing Spartans enveloped in a deadly cloud of pink mist.

I must admit, I enjoy seeing the pink mist too. I snag a Needler quite often in Reach. Its a good anti Jet Pack weapon.

I enjoy the Needle Rifle too because of the smaller reticule, the animation on the other Spartan when I get a headshot, and the pink mist if I can't land the headshot.

Dax01 said:
That's some damn fine pwnage right there.

I've always tried to avoid the Needler in Halo. Why? Because I was horrible with it. I just couldn't get kills with it. After playing Reach, however, it sort of just clicked with me. I understand now why you love the Needler so much. It's my go-to weapon in Reach and I am a force to be reckoned with when using it. Screw Sniper. Screw Rocket Launcher. Needler is where it's at.

Kibbles

Apparently I just got "host-booted" in Halo 3. There's still no fix to this? Are these people not getting banned? :\

Dax01 said:

MLG gametypes account for that and Midship/Heretic is a map that doesn't have a lot of power weapons/other weapons in general that are commonly used. It is very much a "BR map".

GhaleonEB

Spend two hours polishing and finishing the last sections of long delayed and massive article. Hit save. Get networking error that deletes all changes from the drafting session, which don't appear to be able to be restored. So I'll have to do it all again. Probably next week.

Arg. Bad mood is bad. :\

Booshka

Kibbles said:
Apparently I just got "host-booted" in Halo 3. There's still no fix to this? Are these people not getting banned? :\
I think Halo 3 is the Wild West now that Reach is out and Bungie has to focus their banhammer on that game. Similar to how CoD4 is modded to hell and pretty much unplayable on 360 now. Sucks that these companies can't be bothered to deal with security issues on nearly 4 year old games.

As for the callout system, I think it is harder to learn in Reach because there is no call out system for what you are looking at, you can only see the location of where you are. It is easier to learn in Shadowrun because if you see someone, press Up on the D-pad and it will call his location out. You can also use Left on the D-Pad to tell teammates you need backup at your current location, and pressing Right on the D-Pad while pointed at a location will tell your team to Move to that location. I haven't really learned the callouts in Reach partly because of the lack of these mechanics, and also because half the games I play are on forge maps (one shot, Canyon!).

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
Spend two hours polishing and finishing the last sections of long delayed and massive article. Hit save. Get networking error that deletes all changes from the drafting session, which don't appear to be able to be restored. So I'll have to do it all again. Probably next week.

I'm sorry to hear about that. Is this for the Campaign review?

GhaleonEB said:

*yoink*

:(

Hey You

senador said:
Better naming, but they also need to show on death! I don't really remember any of the map callouts since I never look down there until I die...and they disappear.
And the ability to edit them on custom maps. Maybe something like you can set either a hill or cylinder shape and name it.

Hey You said:
And the ability to edit them on custom maps. Maybe something like you can set either a hill or cylinder shape and name it.
They'd probably have to do the work of only allowing a select set of words to be strung together, like leaving messages in Demons Souls.

Otherwise we'll all be trying to cap the flag on dick mountain.

Hey You

Kuroyume said:
It takes on average 8,000 posts of bitching to have something changed in Halo. We're at about 5,575 posts to finally have Evade nuked from Spartans.
:( I love my evade

Wait,I hope me quoting this doesn't count towards the 8000 goal. Damn

darthbob

NullPointer said:
They'd probably have to do the work of only allowing a select set of words to be strung together, like leaving messages in Demons Souls.

Sounds good to me.

NullPointer said:

'shortcut' on Guardian got renamed to 'gay jump' so I'd say it already happens. Also those purple cylinders on Snowbound were 'tits' to the people I played with.

Tunavi

Banned
today is so awesome. New blink 182 song, batman trailer, harry potter. now announce some new CEA maps god damnit!

Booshka

thezerofire said:
'shortcut' on Guardian got renamed to 'gay jump' so I'd say it already happens. Also those purple cylinders on Snowbound were 'tits' to the people I played with.
That callout was actually lifted from H2's Lockout, there were a ton of shortcut jumps on Lockout, and one of them got the "gay jump" moniker. There is also a callout in MLG Sanctuary called "dick rock." MLG keepin' it classy.

FyreWulff

I'm still trying to figure out how jet pack breaks map flow on maps that were all designed with the jetpack in mind.

The same reasoning could be said that sprint breaks map flow because it cancels out move cost from taking a certain path through the map.

Also I don't think 343 is going to go to map-specific loadouts. Players will get frustrated if the loadout selection is constantly changing, and testing 20-40 different gametypes each time a matchmaking goes out (remember, the way they set up gametypes for MM is not like our interface, so if they issue a bugfix or functionality update, they have to retest EVERY SINGLE MAP'S GAMETYPES) sounds like certification suicide.

Homeboyd

Karl2177 said:
Mine just seems really slow right now. New Hawtness sooner than later?
There's no "create thread" button anymore?! Wtf bunjeeee?!

Edit: Replies are off too!
Edit 2: PMs disabled

FyreWulff said:
I'm still trying to figure out how jet pack breaks map flow on maps that were all designed with the jetpack in mind.

The same reasoning could be said that sprint breaks map flow because it cancels out move cost from taking a certain path through the map.

Also I don't think 343 is going to go to map-specific loadouts. Players will get frustrated if the loadout selection is constantly changing, and testing 20-40 different gametypes each time a matchmaking goes out (remember, the way they set up gametypes for MM is not like our interface, so if they issue a bugfix or functionality update, they have to retest EVERY SINGLE MAP'S GAMETYPES) sounds like certification suicide.
For one, Asylum and Reflection were certainly not designed with jetpacks in mind.

Gui_PT

Homeboyd said:
There's no "create thread" button anymore?! Wtf bunjeeee?!

Edit: Replies are off too!

I caught a few SQL errors. Maybe they're working on their database for something?

FyreWulff

thezerofire said:
For one, Asylum and Reflection were certainly not designed with jetpacks in mind.

Except for the fact that Bungie said the vaulted ceiling in the middle and the bigger snipe spawn / OS ramp top landings were specifically for the jetpack, okay.

Jetpack is pointless on Asylum and Hem due to the fact that they're pretty flat maps pathing wise.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
Since I need more peeps to fill up parties, PM me or reply with your tags HaloBros.

Don't mind if I do: SenadorKooch

Others add me too please. Is it best to just start shooting invites?

Tunavi

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Jetpack is pointless on Asylum and Hem due to the fact that they're pretty flat maps pathing wise.
Oh my god you are so wrong

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20567871&player=Sanuel Jackson
With a jetpack you can shoot anyone from any part of the map and drop to cover. It almost works like armor lock on that map. After dropping down to safety, you're in total cover while your teammates take out who you just put shots on/threw grenades at.

I hate the jetpack. When actual good players use it, its impossible to counter.

FyreWulff said:
Except for the fact that Bungie said the vaulted ceiling in the middle and the bigger snipe spawn / OS ramp top landings were specifically for the jetpack, okay.

Two parts changed from an otherwise unchanged map from Halo 2, and jetpacks are really useful on Asylum.

HiredN00bs said:
What a ridiculous, baseless statement.
they're both Halo 2 maps, where there are no jetpacks

FyreWulff said:

Jetpack is a really good loadout. The drawback for horizontal movement (especially when under fire) is a great counter for how handy it can be vertically.

thezerofire said:
they're both Halo 2 maps, where there are no jetpacks
Ivory Tower didn't have tall ceilings. Sanctuary didn't have soft-kill zones. They're not the same maps, and were specifically chosen and modified because they do work with the Armor Abilities in Reach. That's design.

HiredN00bs said:
Ivory Tower didn't have tall ceilings. Sanctuary didn't have soft-kill zones. They're not the same maps, and were specifically chosen and modified because they do work with the Armor Abilities in Reach. That's design.
that's modification to compensate for AA's, not design.

FyreWulff said:

Well the jetpack still breaks the map in some people's minds regardless of those changes.

Nutter

HiredN00bs said:
So what you are saying is that when people got on top of Sanctuary by using grenades (actually working to get up top) is the same as using a jetpack to go straight up top.

And People could spawn on the bottom of reflection and get to the Sniper in one go? ceilings were not as low as you guys remember them to be.

Oh but then I forgot, everything was either in Halo 2, or they "fixed" things in Reach

Top Bottom