• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

MrBig

Map specific loadouts is ridiculous. That would mean less standardization of gametypes, and a shit load of problems and testing. AA's as pick ups, with sprint as the only loadout would allow for controlling pick ups and defining what AAs are right for each map without everyone being able to do everything.

Havok said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5l1Z0bLLlI

About a minute in specifically. There was a more fleshed out explanation of that particular issue somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. In any case, this isn't a problem for the hardcore players, but for the less savvy crowd, which is reasonable enough, I guess. It could have been helped by better training for equipment (really, for many more elements as well), which is also mentioned.
Forgot about that.
NullPointer said:
Well that's the thing. Since you only got a single use out of equipment in Halo 3, players would save it up for when they honestly and truly needed it. Most of the time they'd die before that happened, or just forget about it in the heat of things, so the equipment would be lost or unused. Only fans like us took the time to replay levels and experiment. Hell, there are probably a bunch of players out there that beat Halo 3 and didn't even bother using the things - I know a few of them myself ;P

By putting in a cooldown you don't ever lose the equipment, and so you never had the desire to covet it's use or save it for the end times. The end result is that you actually play and experiment with it and work it in to your own set of combat tactics.
Well, if it's single use, of course you wouldn't use it until you absolutely need it. But here's the thing. You're saying that people would die before they used it. That doesn't make sense to me. If you're likely to die, or you get yourself positioned at the wrong end of a firefight, that is the point when you would need it – and would therefore use it. Personally, I almost never forgot that I had a piece of equipment in a firefight and neglected to use it. I say "almost never" because there's that possibility there was a situation in which I did forget it. The fact that I can't remember any instance means it didn't happen often. The only regular way I would die and my equipment would go unused would be in situation where I didn't have time to respond: getting sniped in the head or getting jumped by someone with rockets.

Your post is confusing at first because it goes from talking about multiplayer to campaign without breaking the two ideas apart. The equipment in the campaign were just another part of the sandbox and you could choose to use it or not. Just like certain players don't use certain weapons. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the mechanic.

As for experimenting goes, that should've come through playing the game. I remember I would have never considered deploying a bubble shield, if my opponent were charging at me, throwing a grenade and backing out, causing him to get hit by the grenade in the bubble shield, if it hadn't happened to me first.

Dug

Banned
Should I be worried if my Bag Of Swag hasn't shipped yet and its estimated shipping date ends on the 15th?

feel

NullPointer said:
You'd have to ditch the limited uses though, or else nobody would use them but the experts. You'd save them up for a very special occasion and end up forgetting about them.
IMO one of the dumbest things we kept hearing from Bungie during the development of Reach... Equipment implementation was fine and fit right into the sandbox without breaking a thing (for the most part), noone ever forgot what they had, if they got killed before using it, they should use it earlier next time. HUD improvements could have made people take more notice that there was an unused piece of equipment sitting there, if people forgetting was that big of a deal. It's like being sad the rocket launcher empties up too fast and putting 20 rounds of ammo in them by default on the next game, that carries over with you from spawn to spawn after you grab it. Sure, whoever has it is having tons of fun but...

kylej said:
You're arguing with a Halo Community Veteran. Learn your place, scrub.
It's a damn shame there isn't a mod/admin that's a regular on Halogaf and that would apply funny tags related to what happens around these parts. :lol

Kibbles said:
Apparently I just got "host-booted" in Halo 3. There's still no fix to this? Are these people not getting banned? :\

Haha I so do not miss bridging, although I swear I've had some sketchy games even in Reach.

darthbob

Dug said:
Should I be worried if my Bag Of Swag hasn't shipped yet and it's estimated shipping date ends on the 15th?

Worst that can happen is that you won't get charged and the order gets cancelled.

Karl2177

Dug said:
Should I be worried if my Bag Of Swag hasn't shipped yet and it's estimated shipping date ends on the 15th?
Mine finally says shipped on amazon. Has anyone else's second round bag shipped?

TrounceX

Devolution said:
Haha I so do not miss bridging, although I swear I've had some sketchy games even in Reach.

Probably because you can bridge host in Reach too. Although it's not nearly as straight forward as it was in H2, so not many people do it. It's there though, right along with host booting and lagging people out. Makes me laugh that kids still resort to cheating even when there isn't a meaningful rank at stake.

Which is part of the reason I do not like the ranking system in Reach and would like a return to the standard 1-50 system in Halo 4.

A27 Tawpgun said:
We're definitely going to get more info on Halo 4 at Halofest.... but what could they possibly reveal?

Maybe more about the story?

I don't care anyway, I want Halo CEA and Halo Reach TU info more than anything Halo 4 related.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
We're definitely going to get more info on Halo 4 at Halofest.... but what could they possibly reveal?

I think this is the general order (separating everything into Campaign and Multiplayer);

Campaign Hints > Campaign Reveal > Multiplayer Hints > (E3) Campaign Details (A level or two) > Multplayer Details > Multiplayer Beta > More Campaign, Changes to Multiplayer from Beta and Other Reveals > Release

We're at the first stage with the initial E3 trailer. We may or may not pass onto the the next stage with Halofest. With Halo 4 coming out next year, the schedule may be rushed or out of order.

I'd welcome some in-game footage, even if it isn't finished. A good reveal of the tech that's powering the game and maybe some bullshots.

Tawpgun

The Real Napsta said:
Maybe more about the story?

I don't care anyway, I want Halo CEA and Halo Reach TU info more than anything Halo 4 related.
The only thing I want to know from CEA is more about the maps and classic ++
TU is simple reveal also.

Halo 4 is still the mystery.

vhfive

Letters said:
IMO one of the dumbest things we kept hearing from Bungie during the development of Reach... Equipment implementation was fine and fit right into the sandbox without breaking a thing (for the most part), noone ever forgot what they had, if they got killed before using it, they should use it earlier next time. HUD improvements could have made people take more notice that there was an unused piece of equipment sitting there, if people forgetting was that big of a deal. It's like being sad the rocket launcher empties up too fast and putting 20 rounds of ammo in them by default on the next game, that carries over with you from spawn to spawn after you grab it. Sure, whoever has it is having tons of fun but...

It's a damn shame there isn't a mod/admin that's a regular on Halogaf and that would apply funny tags related to what happens around these parts. :lol
completely agree (on both fronts)

Before Halo 3 came out I was under the impression that equipment would be treated like power weapons/power ups with only one or two on a map (with some maps having none) with long respawns. Instead we get 5+ on every maps with 15 secs repawns (I exaggerate but only slightly).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Letters said:
It's like being sad the rocket launcher empties up too fast
9nG0Q.jpg

It does man.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
I think this is the general order (separating everything into Campaign and Multiplayer);

Campaign Hints > Campaign Reveal > Multiplayer Hints > (E3) Campaign Details (A level or two) > Multplayer Details > Multiplayer Beta > More Campaign, Changes to Multiplayer from Beta and Other Reveals > Release

We're at the first stage with the initial E3 trailer. We may or may not pass onto the the next stage with Halofest. With Halo 4 coming out next year, the schedule may be rushed or out of order.

I'd welcome some in-game footage, even if it isn't finished. A good reveal of the tech that's powering the game and maybe some bullshots.
I'm guessing we'll see some art concepts before too long. That and the announcement that the beta is included with CEA.

I can get on b.net using IE, but not Firefox. Nuking all cookies and doing a full reboot didn't do it, still stuck in permanent loop. I detest IE but I suppose that's my dedicated browser for b.net now.

Dax01 said:
You're saying that people would die before they used it. That doesn't make sense to me. If you're likely to die, or you get yourself positioned at the wrong end of a firefight, that is the point when you would need it – and would therefore use it.
Letters said:
Equipment implementation was fine and fit right into the sandbox without breaking a thing (for the most part), noone ever forgot what they had, if they got killed before using it, they should use it earlier next time.
I don't think Bungie made the changes for you guys specifically, the core Halo fans that know the secondary uses of a plasma pistol. They made the changes for brand new players and players that aren't so Halo savvy. Those players forgot about their equipment, saved it up, couldn't tell what they had equipped from the abstract icon, and didn't take the time to experiment.

Its an accessibility and usability argument and here I am having it with power users. ;P

And yeah, I do know folks who beat Halo 3 without knowing a damn thing about equipment. That leads to them not using it in multiplayer right away since they haven't had the training.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
I'm guessing we'll see some art concepts before too long. That and the announcement that the beta is included with CEA.

I can get on b.net using IE, but not Firefox. Nuking all cookies and doing a full reboot didn't do it, still stuck in permanent loop. I detest IE but I suppose that's my dedicated browser for b.net now.
Did you clear the cache as well? That's solved Windows Live Passport issues for me in the past.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:

Try clearing the compact databases. Use CCleaner if you don't know how to do that. Install it, and under 'applications' check everything for FF, and hit clean. Uncheck all the other options if you don't want to lose any temp files.

feel

NullPointer said:
I don't think Bungie made the changes for you guys specifically, the core Halo fans that know the secondary uses of a plasma pistol. They made the changes for brand new players and players that aren't so Halo savvy. Those players forgot about their equipment, saved it up, couldn't tell what they had equipped from the abstract icon, and didn't take the time to experiment.
Distracting flash of bright neon glow around the icon with accompanying audio cue from Steitzer ("Bbbuubble shhhield standing by!"), every 10 seconds. Ship it! :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Roddslayer said:
Helllooooo OT5,

To celebrate here's an interview from joystiq.com of Jamie Griesemer. My favorite part is how he came back to Bungie for a day to tweak the Halo Reach warthog. Obviously he didn't drive it while someone was shooting at him. He's now at Suckerpunch which was news to me.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/14/half-minute-halo-an-interview-with-jaime-griesemer/

Awesome.

Pity he only spent a few days with Reach's hog, It could have done with a few weeks more.

Letters said:
Distracting flash of bright neon glow around the icon with accompanying audio cue from Steitzer ("Bbbuubble shhhield standing by!"), every 10 seconds. Ship it! :p
Heh. I like to think of it like those fat handled "good grip" can openers that you can get nowadays. They were originally designed for people with arthritis, but once they were on the market they noticed that everybody preferred them because they just felt better. They were more accessible and comfortable to use overall, so they made a killing.

Sometimes, the steps you take to make things more accessible for a casual crowd actually end up making things more useable for the power users as well.

In honest fact, we use that can opener at work to demonstrate how we should design our software APIs.

ElRenoRaven

Roddslayer said:
Helllooooo OT5,

To celebrate here's an interview from joystiq.com of Jamie Griesemer. My favorite part is how he came back to Bungie for a day to tweak the Halo Reach warthog. Obviously he didn't drive it while someone was shooting at him. He's now at Suckerpunch which was news to me.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/14/half-minute-halo-an-interview-with-jaime-griesemer/

Interesting. So it seems he wasn't digging Bungie getting larger. Understandable. Still sad to see he moved on though. At least he landed at a good developer though.

Tawpgun

NullPointer said:

Its an accessibility and usability argument and here I am having it with power users. ;P

And yeah, I do know folks who beat Halo 3 without knowing a damn thing about equipment. That leads to them not using it in multiplayer right away since they haven't had the training.

Ugh. Gross.

If you don't make the game for the people who love Halo you aren't making a good Halo game simple as that.

Halo players want changes that benefit the Halo formula and the core principles that make the game great.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Did you clear the cache as well? That's solved Windows Live Passport issues for me in the past.
Just did that, and it didn't help. I've never had this issue before, and I'm not sure it's a passport related one. From b.net when I select "sign up", it tells me I'm already signed in using my account. So the site knows I'm signed in, but it won't reflect it.

Thanks though. So clearing 100% of cookies and the cache isn't doing it. It's got to be the site or the browser.

Edit: I also can't post to twitter, it keeps telling me to try later. Maybe the issues are related?

I'm going to try and re-install Firefox.

thezerofire said:
On Reflection the jetpacks are most useful for getting up to the top of the map, and the grenades you can throw from above it are most devastating in the hallways, not exactly the most open space.
That's true. Reflection is one of those maps where jetpacks allow people to get to stupid places and that does ruin a map.
A27 Tawpgun said:
Ugh. Gross.

If you don't make the game for the people who love Halo you aren't making a good Halo game simple as that.

Halo players want changes that benefit the Halo formula and the core principles that make the game great.
Tawpgun for president.

Nutter said:
So what you are saying is that when people got on top of Sanctuary by using grenades (actually working to get up top) is the same as using a jetpack to go straight up top.
What? I never explicitly stated nor implied anything to that effect. I merely contested the claim that some of the maps in Reach weren't designed for Armor Abilities. If the maps were remakes, they were chosen because they worked with the changes to core gameplay, in the designers' opinion.

thezerofire said:
that's modification to compensate for AA's, not design.
It's not design from scratch, but it is design. They didn't remake every map. The explicit choice to remake these maps in particular is a design choice. They completely remade Reflection. Are you seriously contesting that the Reach map Reflection wasn't designed for Reach?

kylej said:
You're arguing with a Halo Community Veteran. Learn your place, scrub.
I never called myself that, another user did, and I don't appreciate you calling me it, so I'm asking you to please stop it.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
What? I never explicitly stated nor implied anything to that effect. I merely contested the claim that some of the maps in Reach weren't designed for Armor Abilities. If the maps were remakes, they were chosen because they worked with the changes to core gameplay, in the designers' opinion.

It's not design from scratch, but it is design. They didn't remake every map. The explicit choice to remake these maps in particular is a design choice. They completely remade Reflection. Are you seriously contesting that the Reach map Reflection wasn't designed for Reach?

If they were, they didn't do a good job. Reflection + Jetpack = Broken. There are perches in the middle you can jet to. You can Jet up to the sniper platform which is the power area of the map. Bypassing the vulnerable lift and the two narrow, no cover hallways.

And don't give me the bullshit that you're vulnerable when you jetpack. Maybe if you're in idiot and go straight up. Those guys get a better vantage point at the expense of increased bloom, no strafing ability, and an easy target. It's a bit annoying that someone can bypass your cover by going up and shooting you, but its decently balanced. This is what Bungie and many of the AA supporters have said balances out Jetpack.

Too bad only retarded people ever do that. People with common sense Jetpack to power areas, through routes only accessible by Jetpack. ect.

C'mon people how can you justify this.

NullPointer said:

You have a fair point if they did it for those players that aren't that savvy, but I just can't fathom how one could venture into matchmaking and not use equipment. They see it being used by other players plenty. How do they not say to themselves, "What is that? I should be on the look out for that."

PsychoRaven said:
So I'm thinking Hold off on Halo 4 till the Microsoft Playstation 4 hits. Who agrees?

Don't know what I'm talking about?

1. Bungie separates from Microsoft
2. Bungie's new IP is revealed to be available on both PS3/Xbox 360, owned by Sony and Microsoft, respectively
3. Microsoft om nom noms Sony
4. Microsony now owns both the PS3 and the Xbox 360

I N C E P T I O N

I pretty much didn't use equipment in Halo 3.

On Guardian, I would go to green grab the BubS and throw it off the side.

I knew I would never remember to use it, I knew I'd be pissed if I died and an enemy used it against my team, so it seemed like the best course of action.

That said, i used the grav lift on High Ground ever time I spawned beach.

A27 Tawpgun said:
If they were, they didn't do a good job. Reflection + Jetpack = Broken. There are perches in the middle you can jet to. You can Jet up to the sniper platform which is the power area of the map. Bypassing the vulnerable lift and the two narrow, no cover hallways.

And don't give me the bullshit that you're vulnerable when you jetpack. Maybe if you're in idiot and go straight up. Those guys get a better vantage point at the expense of increased bloom, no strafing ability, and an easy target. It's a bit annoying that someone can bypass your cover by going up and shooting you, but its decently balanced. This is what Bungie and many of the AA supporters have said balances out Jetpack.

Too bad only retarded people ever do that. People with common sense Jetpack to power areas, through routes only accessible by Jetpack. ect.

C'mon people how can you justify this.
Sniper spawn is not as much of a power area anymore. Because of the jetpack, it's much more vulnerable. Reflection with Reach mechanics isn't "broken" just because it plays differently than Ivory Tower with Halo 2 mechanics.

I'm just not getting what you mean by "broken". Maybe a scenario would help illustrate your point.

blamite

Talking about equipment just reminds me of how much I hated the regenerator. In most 1v1 situations, it was basically and AOE armor lock that lets the user fight back, while taking minimal damage and healing instantly. Ugh.

MrBig

blamite said:
Talking about equipment just reminds me of how much I hated the regenerator. In most 1v1 situations, it was basically and AOE armor lock that lets the user fight back, while taking minimal damage and healing instantly. Ugh.
So now in reach they combined that with the Bubble Shield and gave it unlimited uses! That's better, right?!?!?!??!

blamite said:

And yet your namesake totally owns anyone in the AOE. Ironing is delicious.

At the very least, between equipment in 3 and AAs in Reach, 343 has plenty of data to examine while they decide how to handle the elusive "fourth leg" of Halo combat.

TrounceX said:
Probably because you can bridge host in Reach too. Although it's not nearly as straight forward as it was in H2, so not many people do it. It's there though, right along with host booting and lagging people out. Makes me laugh that kids still resort to cheating even when there isn't a meaningful rank at stake.

Which is part of the reason I do not like the ranking system in Reach and would like a return to the standard 1-50 system in Halo 4.

Makes sense, I was just in a game last night in which I think they were trying to boot me off but it didn't work.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if ranks were completely removed.

Bregmann Roche said:
And yet your namesake totally owns anyone in the AOE. Ironing is delicious.

At the very least, between equipment in 3 and AAs in Reach, 343 has plenty of data to examine while they decide how to handle the elusive "fourth leg" of Halo combat.
There's probably a happy compromise between the two designs.

I just wish 343 would take seriously the passion people have for the individual games. In my opinion, every Halo game should be available to play online over Xbox Live. I believe that Halo: CE and Halo 2 would both pull in thousands daily. This is Microsoft's flagship franchise, they need to have legacy support for the multiplayer.

Can you imagine a game interface where you could instantly search for games in Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4? It'd be like a Halo Waypoint that was actually worth a damn.

Dax01 said:
You have a fair point if they did it for those players that aren't that savvy, but I just can't fathom how one could venture into matchmaking and not use equipment. They see it being used by other players plenty. How do they not say to themselves, "What is that? I should be on the look out for that."
Oh yeah, I'm sure you're right about that. But my guess is that they wanted to train the player in equipment use by way of opportunities in the campaign and found out that the system was ignored or misunderstood more than used to its fullest extent. So for many players they learned about equipment via diving right into the deep end in the school of hard knocks of Halo matchmaking.

Whats also funny is learning by way of ODST legendary runs with friends and family just how much there is to learn about how Halo plays. My brother thought I was nuts to go running around with only the silenced pistol and plasma pistol. I had to literally deprogram him of modern shooter standards and guide him in the myriad ways of Halo. There's more to it to pick up for the new player than some long time fans would realize.

Luckily, by the end he could more than hold his own and even saved my ass a few times.

Tawpgun

HiredN00bs said:
Sniper spawn is not as much of a power area anymore. Because of the jetpack, it's much more vulnerable. Reflection with Reach mechanics isn't "broken" just because it plays differently than Ivory Tower with Halo 2 mechanics.

I'm just not getting what you mean by "broken". Maybe a scenario would help illustrate your point.

I think it's just that I believe one of Halo's core game mechanics is map control. The area to control in Reflection is sniper spawn.

You have to fight and control that top area the longest and maximize kills. This has been the case for most of the good maps in the game. Some even had different areas you could control. Like Lockout.

The game ebbed and flowed around these struggles. Going out of them for power weapons. To chase down enemies.

The maps, ivory tower's base layout, was built with these in mind. The jetpack allows users to bypass all of that. Like you said, it makes it play differently. Map control is much less of a struggle and the match is much more chaotic.

To me, that's going away from what I loved about Halo, and turning it more into something like CoD. A chaotic mess. I think that's where you and I disagree.

To you, all that isn't too important. To me it is. Of course, if I'm wrong about you, tell me.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:

I'm hoping the Halo 4 panel at PAX Prime isn't going to be one of those panels where all of the audience's questions are answered by saying "I cannot confirm or deny that", "Wait and see", "No comment", "That'd be cool, wouldn't it?", etc.

I want new information from both the panel speakers as well as the answers that are given to those from the audience who ask questions.

And since Mr. Tojima, 343's Audio Director, is part of the panel, I want to hear teases of what his vision is for Halo 4's orchestral score and sound bites for some weapons/vehicles.

I want to bathe myself in Halo 4 goodness Sunday morning.

Top Bottom