• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

senador

Banned
I don't mind Jet Packs for map navigation, I just hate it when everyone has them and it becomes Bumble Bee Slayer. Use it to get around quick, but don't just fly sky high and shoot down at me. God that's annoying.

cory021

Neo Member
The Jetpack should have been a jump-pack that brutes used in Halo 3. It would allow you to make almost as many jumps as the Jetpack, but it wouldn't be 'game-breaking,' in the sense that players wouldn't be able to suspend themselves in the air.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
Except for the fact that Bungie said the vaulted ceiling in the middle and the bigger snipe spawn / OS ramp top landings were specifically for the jetpack, okay.

Jetpack is pointless on Asylum and Hem due to the fact that they're pretty flat maps pathing wise.
There's a distinction. You can make allowances all you want, but there is no way to know what a player can do with jet pack. It's like making no clip a game feature. It destroys any designed pathing and allows the user to do whatever the fuck they want. Fine for casuals and casual maps, but when I want to play a competitive map I don't want people breaking the designed pathing. Take reflection again for example. The bottom team can get to both the sniper and rockets via use of jet packs before the elevator team can get to either.

I can just imagine the Damnation remake now. It's such a vertical map, and players have to actually work for and control the top areas, with jet packs all that requires is you to hold down a button. That is not what the map was designed for.

Tunavi

Banned
1 person jetpacking = okay

An entire team of actual good players using jetpack an entire match =
no.gif

This is why I want pick ups in Reach so badly

I just realized that the Halo sandbox works pretty good when the player has regenerating health and limited health. And that goes to show how versatile Halo's sandbox is.

Tunavi

Banned
Booshka said:
From Tashi, Play MLG.
I will. If I can get a team of 3 other good players to play MLG with me, by all means, lets do it.

But I would like to play more than 2 maps that aren't forge. I like my asymmetrical maps as well, powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection. I like these maps and I dont want them to remain ruined

Tunavi said:
I will. If I can get a team of 3 other good players to play MLG with me, by all means, lets do it.

But I would like to play more than 2 maps that aren't forge. I like my asymmetrical maps as well
I'd play, but I'm usually only free after about 7 PST

Booshka

Tunavi said:

But I would like to play more than 2 maps that aren't forge. I like my asymmetrical maps as well
I was partly joking, and I agree with your sentiments, I hate playing forge maps all day in MLG, and don't like going in solo and getting shit on. I have said this before, but MLG Reach seems like work to me, not much fun. I like the balance considerations and design of the gametypes. I just wish that philosophy was implemented into the other playlists where there aren't so many 15 year olds trying to be the next Tsquared.

kylej

Banned
Nutter said:
So what you are saying is that when people got on top of Sanctuary by using grenades (actually working to get up top) is the same as using a jetpack to go straight up top.

And People could spawn on the bottom of reflection and get to the Sniper in one go? ceilings were not as low as you guys remember them to be.

Oh but then I forgot, everything was either in Halo 2, or they "fixed" things in Reach

You're arguing with a Halo Community Veteran. Learn your place, scrub.

GhaleonEB

Does anyone else use Firefox 5.0.1? That's the version I'm on, and I still can't log into Bungie.net. I spent half an hour this morning trying to, just got home and cleared all cookies and tried again, and I'm stuck in the same loop as before.

GhaleonEB said:
Does anyone else use Firefox 5.0.1? That's the version I'm on, and I still can't log into Bungie.net. I spent half an hour this morning trying to, just got home and cleared all cookies and tried again, and I'm stuck in the same loop as before.
works for me

Dug

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, B.net servers exploded or something. It's been like this for a couple of hours.

edit: oh, just noticed this is my 1,000 post. yay.

Tunavi said:
This is why I want pick ups in Reach so badly
Yep. Start everybody off with sprint and make all others pickups. I love me my AAs but I'd be fine with this.

Each individual AA is pretty much OK, its when they're used in groups where they can truly imbalance things.

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:
Works fine for me on Firefox 5.0.1 and the 6.0 Beta.
Arg.

Here's what I see in the corner of b.net:

Login.png

When I click the sign in button, I get a white screen with this:

Secure.png

That redirects me back to the front page of b.net, exactly as before, not signed in.

I am signed into xbox.com (after first clearing out 100% of all cookies):

xboxcom.png

Not sure what to do.

Dug said:
Oh, B.net servers exploded or something. It's been like this for a couple of hours.

edit: oh, just noticed this is my 1,000 post. yay.
Sorry to have made your 1,000th so anticlimactic. I'll check b.net's forums and see if others are having the same issue.

senador

Banned
NullPointer said:
Yep. Start everybody off with sprint and make all others pickups. I love me my AAs but I'd be fine with this.

Each individual AA is pretty much OK, its when they're used in groups where they can truly imbalance things.

Cept Armor Lock. That one sucks all the god damned time.

Edit: I'd say Evade too actually.

If they made the Armor Abilities pick-ups with limited uses it would work great I think, and be very similar to equipment. Jetpack would work like a grav lift, except that it only helps you so I guess the usefulness is variable.

Butane123

thezerofire said:
aren't you the guy that people were supposed to play against in Halo 3 to get Recon?
That was a joke.

What happened is that one of the guys I play with regularly, Obi Wan Stevobi, was going to give away a set of Recon to whoever he scored his 77,777 matchmaking kill on.

A few weeks later he put up a youtube montage of him playing and the final kill. In the youtube video, he put an annotation that said "1v1 Butane123 for Recon armor." Urk posted the video on the front page of B.net, and so word went 'round that I could.

Hey You

GhaleonEB said:
Have you tried visiting another part of the site?

Sometimes I log in (on the frontpage) and it says I'm not signed in, so I go to a different part of the site and I'm logged in.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
I'm still trying to figure out how jet pack breaks map flow on maps that were all designed with the jetpack in mind.

I... wha...but... huh?

Jetpack on Asylum is annoying for the reason Tunavi mentioned but also because there are 4 ways into the coveted Ring 2. You control that, you control the game. With Jetpacks you can vault over and get into Ring 2 easymode.

The only map I can think of where Jetpacks aren't a huge deal is Powerhouse. But you said as long as the maps are designed with the Jetpack in mind it's not that bad. Sort of agree. But then you are CRIPPLING map design.

Maps like uncaged with floating platforms, maps with high vertical power areas, or any verticality in maps... that's all broken by Jetpacks.

Jetpacks break maps. Jetpacks forces maps to be designed with them in mind so they have none of the above elements.

Butane123 said:
That was a joke.

What happened is that one of the guys I play with regularly, Obi Wan Stevobi, was going to give away a set of Recon to whoever he scored his 77,777 matchmaking kill on.

A few weeks later he put up a youtube montage of him playing and the final kill. In the youtube video, he put an annotation that said "1v1 Butane123 for Recon armor." Urk posted the video on the front page of B.net, and so word went 'round that I could.
in the Thunderdome right? I remember tons of people falling for it.

Butane123

thezerofire said:
in the Thunderdome right? I remember tons of people falling for it.
OK, that was a completely different one.

Me and another guy created a stupid map on Avalanche that trapped and killed anyone who spawned on like red team once they went through the teleporter in the bases. Blue side went through to the "thunderdome" normally.

Somehow it became a joke that in order to 1v1 Achronos, who would then give you Recon armor, they had to beat me first in the Thunderdome. Since I knew the trick, it wouldn't matter.

No games were actually played on it, and I have no idea how it spread like it did.

thezerofire said:
If they made the Armor Abilities pick-ups with limited uses it would work great I think, and be very similar to equipment. Jetpack would work like a grav lift, except that it only helps you so I guess the usefulness is variable.
You'd have to ditch the limited uses though, or else nobody would use them but the experts. You'd save them up for a very special occasion and end up forgetting about them.

NullPointer said:
You'd have to ditch the limited uses though, or else nobody would use them but the experts. You'd save them up for a very special occasion and end up forgetting about them.
That's not what happened in Halo 3.

Butane123 said:
OK, that was a completely different one.

Me and another guy created a stupid map on Avalanche that trapped and killed anyone who spawned on like red team once they went through the teleporter in the bases. Blue side went through to the "thunderdome" normally.

Somehow it became a joke that in order to 1v1 Achronos, who would then give you Recon armor, they had to beat me first in the Thunderdome. Since I knew the trick, it wouldn't matter.

No games were actually played on it, and I have no idea how it spread like it did.
I think Obi Wan Stevobi mentioned 1v1ing you now and again on bnet, so it probably spread from there. I was curious, glad to see what actually was going on haha

Dax01 said:
according to Bungie it was, that was their justification for AA's in the first place

senador

Banned
Dax01 said:

Yes, that's exactly what would happen. That's what spawned AAs in the first place.

I was thinking the other day, putting like 3-4 uses on an AA might make them more balanced.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Have you tried visiting another part of the site?

Sometimes I log in (on the frontpage) and it says I'm not signed in, so I go to a different part of the site and I'm logged in.
Yeah, I've been trying that as well, no dice.

I give up for today. I've purged all cookies - my wife is going to be pissed, all her sites are wiped - reset browsers, rebooted, and signed in and out of Live/B.net countless times. What a messed up system.

Tawpgun

Maybe if you were dumb.

If I was getting shot at and I had a regen/bubble and didn't use it.. I mean really?

The other thing about equipment is it was team oriented. AA's are not. Except for the Drop Shield, which was removed anyway. Camo jammer maybe as well.

But all the equipement was used with teamwork in mind.

NullPointer said:
Actually, thats exactly what happened and why they changed it in Reach.
I only remember a Bungie employee saying that the downside of equipment was that you could only use it once. It wasn't that players forgot they had it or nobody was using it, at least from my experience in Halo 3.

Too much of a good thing is bad. I don't think Bungie had that in mind when designing AAs.

that's what they said was the cause, but I don't really buy it. I mean if you have a Regen, and you get shot, you're going to use the Regen. I liked that they were team-oriented too

Jetpacks are the only thing offsetting the gimped jump height in Reach just like sprint is the only thing that compensates for such a slow movement speed. I agree that it's lame when a whole team just flies as high as they can to try and pick people off from above. But that same strategy is pretty dumb if the other team is smart enough not to wander around out in the open. If bloom didn't exist and we could still 4-shot people, I don't think it would be a problem.

Havok

Dax01 said:
Dax01 said:
I only remember a Bungie employee saying that the downside of equipment was that you could only use it once. It wasn't that players forgot they had it or nobody was using it, at least from my experience in Halo 3.

Too much of a good thing is bad. I don't think Bungie had that in mind when designing AAs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5l1Z0bLLlI

About a minute in specifically. There was a more fleshed out explanation of that particular issue somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. In any case, this isn't a problem for the hardcore players, but for the less savvy crowd, which is reasonable enough, I guess. It could have been helped by better training for equipment (really, for many more elements as well), which is also mentioned.

Deputy Moonman said:
Jetpacks are the only thing offsetting the gimped jump height in Reach just like sprint is the only thing that compensates for such a slow movement speed. I agree that it's lame when a whole team just flies as high as they can to try and pick people off from above. But that same strategy is pretty dumb if the other team is smart enough not to wander around out in the open. If bloom didn't exist and we could still 4-shot people, I don't think it would be a problem.
On Reflection the jetpacks are most useful for getting up to the top of the map, and the grenades you can throw from above it are most devastating in the hallways, not exactly the most open space.

Dax01 said:
Well that's the thing. Since you only got a single use out of equipment in Halo 3, players would save it up for when they honestly and truly needed it. Most of the time they'd die before that happened, or just forget about it in the heat of things, so the equipment would be lost or unused. Only fans like us took the time to replay levels and experiment. Hell, there are probably a bunch of players out there that beat Halo 3 and didn't even bother using the things - I know a few of them myself ;P

By putting in a cooldown you don't ever lose the equipment, and so you never had the desire to covet it's use or save it for the end times. The end result is that you actually play and experiment with it and work it in to your own set of combat tactics.

Tawpgun

NullPointer said:
Well that's the thing. Since you only got a single use out of equipment in Halo 3, players would save it up for when they honestly and truly needed it. Most of the time they'd die before that happened, or just forget about it in the heat of things, so the equipment would be lost or unused. Only fans like us took the time to replay levels and experiment. Hell, there are probably a bunch of players out there that beat Halo 3 and didn't even both using the things - I know a few of them myself ;P

By putting in a cooldown you don't ever lose the equipment, and so you never had the desire to covet it's use or save it for the end times. The end result is that you actually play and experiment with it and work it in to your own set of combat tactics.

... are you justifying AA's in multiplayer by saying they work well in Campaign?

AA's in campaign are amazing and should stay. They do make it more interesting.

AA's in mutliplayer need to get the fuck out. Who cares about continuity.

Karl2177

Homeboyd said:
There's no "create thread" button anymore?! Wtf bunjeeee?!

Edit: Replies are off too!
Edit 2: PMs disabled
LOL. I go into Blueprint to make a reply in the OT thread, and almost banned the last dude. All forums are down over there, not just the mains. I can't wait to see all of the idiotic threads in the community forum once it's over.

A27 Tawpgun said:
... are you justifying AA's in multiplayer by saying they work well in Campaign?
I was just explaining why they work the way they do, and how they evolved from Halo 3.

Personally though, now that you ask, I do like them in campaign and multiplayer. I just expected that some of them would be pickups and not loadouts. I also like what Ghaleon said about tuning loadouts to fit specific maps.

darthbob

PsychoRaven said:
Working for me on Firefox 6 beta. You say you've tried everything too. I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried IE?

I HAVE to use IE8 at work. Sucks too, because I even work for Microsoft, and they don't allow us to use IE9, which, by the way, is hardware accelerated and has a much nicer UI.

Top Bottom