• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tha Robbertster said:
Reading the coments under that video makes me sad.

cREcI.jpg

I know that feel, bro.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
First off, I'd consider the Halo 3 announcement trailer to be a full-fledged trailer, or at least a teaser on steroids.
Call it what you want; the are both announcement trailers. They are both quite similarly structured in terms of content, pacing and what they establish and tease.

Secondly, I disagree that we've gotten more on Halo 4 in this point in its lifetime than Halo 3 at the same time. If you're talking about quantity, sure, we've gotten more on Halo 4 than Halo 3, but when it comes to overall substance and content delivered? I don't think so.
Well, in terms of content we have the Halo 4 announcement trailer, and the concept art trailer. For Halo 3, we just had the announcement trailer.

Let's take a look at the two trailers, starting with the first. It's a teaser. We got some hints and teases when it comes to the weapon the MC uses and his thruster thing. But that was it. Nothing new was revealed about the plot and we weren't given any idea of what the final game will look like.

The concept art trailer is definitely better on providing the fans the direction 343 wants to take the story, but we weren't given anything concrete, at least nothing as much or more concrete than anything revealed in the Halo 3 announcer, for us to really latch on to, aside from the not-very-helpful image of whatever at the end. We have an idea of what 343 is aiming for in the look of the game, but because it was only concept art – while cool – ultimately doesn't do a better job than the Halo 3 announcement trailer of giving us a good idea.
I'll touch on this in a moment. Let's go to the next one.

Now, the Halo 3 announcement trailer provided us with all of that and more. It gave us a tease in the redesigned assault rifle.
The Halo 4 trailer teased a new weapon.

It gave us real story information to latch on to in the form of Cortana's cryptic, Gravemind-induced messages, and the mysterious, huge Forerunner structure in the middle of Africa. (With subtle details like the movement of the Covenant ships: at one point the Covenant ships were moving toward it, then when it comes to life, they move away).
With the Halo 4 trailer, we have a very stimilar setup. Chief arrives, and looks out over a large, Forerunner-themed event takeing place. The ship in on fire - why? That's a tease. The object is opening up. Why? That's a tease. Not to mention, what the hell is that thing?

And, probably most importantly, we were given a good, though ultimately deceptive, idea of what Bungie was aiming for with the look of the game. When you compare the trailer to the final game, it's mostly the same aside from the lack of AA, MC's armor texture, and the fins of the Forerunner portal are a bit murky.
I discount this rather heavily, since I was speaking of overall content. Gonna quote myself from the last page:

I think know now about as much as we knew then.

--The initial setting (Earth / big Forerunner thingy)
--Moment of crisis and mystery (Ark opening / big Forerunner thingy opening)
--Chief and Cortana's relationship (separated from the Chief sending weird messages / back snugly in his armor)
--Where the game falls in the story arc (end of a trilogy / start of a trilogy)

But again, just look at the content and intent behind the announcement trailers. Long slow build up. Chief emerges. Setting established. Cortana cameo to establish their relationship at that point. One weapon teased. Look out onto large Forerunner structure, which is causing a crisis. Cut away.

That describes both trailers.

Now bolt on the wealth of information from the concept art trailer. Settings, locations, vehicles, enemies - all of which are new. We haven't seen the engine in action, and since it's the start of the new trilogy rather than tying up another, there is some context we're missing. But in terms of content, we've got more on Halo 4 thanks to the second trailer.

We won't see much if anything else until the end of the year, after CEA comes out. Which is to be expected, and nothing out of the ordinary for Halo release cycles. I've been through this four times now, and what 343 did with Halo 4's trailer set off a very familiar pattern at this point. The concept art trailer was just gravy.

feel

Hypertrooper said:
I hope we get an arg. Today's gaming advertisement became very boring. And 343i is doing an arg for Halo: Glasslands. (I'm counting the data drops as some sort of ARG), so we hopefully get one for Halo 4.

Halo 4 VGA trailer: Master Chief moves slowly out of the FowardUntoDawn wrack. He goes to a cliff, during his way he picks up a BR. The whole time, Cortana is narrating the prior events. At the cliff we can see a big Forerunner structure. And then: Halo 4. Trailer is over. Gameplay would be neat, but it isn't really necessary.
You had me at BR. The comeback shot needs to be glorious, he can't just pick it up from the floor, shit needs to be some sort of grand chest opening like in zelda, with epic music and light coming out.

ElzarTheBam said:
If there's one thing Microsoft knows how to do, it marketing, particularly it's live action marketing, behold Forza 4 launch trailer.

Can't wait to see halo 4's!
That was great. I tried the demo and it's such a remarkable game, kinda made me want to buy it even if racing games are not my thing.

senador

Banned
I am glad we aren't getting loads of Halo 4 info right now. There are too many games coming soon and we are still quite a ways out. The hype would be lost in the craziness that is the end of this year, or it'd just eat itself since its too soon. I'm expecting small drips of information though the end of this year with the drips turning to a trickle early next year and spring, then leading to a stream and river after that.

Water analogies (metaphor?) FTW.

Letters said:
That was great. I tried the demo and it's such a remarkable game, kinda made me want to buy it even if racing games are not my thing.

I would love to download it and try it if Live would work.

GhaleonEB said:
I think know now about as much as we knew then.

--The initial setting (Earth / big Forerunner thingy)
--Moment of crisis and mystery (Ark opening / big Forerunner thingy opening)
--Chief and Cortana's relationship (separated from the Chief sending weird messages / back snugly in his armor)
--Where the game falls in the story arc (end of a trilogy / start of a trilogy)

It's true we had more context for the Halo 3 trailer due to the previous two games, but in terms of content, we've seen more hints about Halo 4 than Halo 3 at this point, thanks to the art trailer from HaloFest. And realisticly, I'm not expecting much more until near the end of the year, post CEA-release.

The questions around the studio won't be answered until we play the game.

Agreed.

I think everyone is just anxious because they fear 343 will make Halo 4 into something radically different. With Halo 3, fans saw the Bungie name and assumed it would play similar to Halo 2. I think people are seeing the absence of Bungie as a sign that Halo 4 might depart from the franchise norm and play more like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, etc. They want to see a gameplay trailer earlier than normal, one that shows Halo 4 is still Halo.

Personally, I'm not worried. The story is in able hands and I trust that 343 at least knows what makes Halo feel like Halo. A gameplay trailer would confirm to the masses that Halo 4 isn't going to be a third-person stealth RPG. Us sticklers would need hands-on time to see if they nailed the little details that give an FPS that Halo feel, and we have a long wait for hands-on time.

-------
Besides, the Halo 3/Halo 4 trailer comparison is just unfair. Nothing compares to Marty's score for Finish the Fight. I still get shivers. (The music in the Halo 4 concept art teaser is neat though.)

PooBone

Regardless of how cheated you feel in terms of content about a game coming out over a year from now, or if you think you knew more about a 4 year old game at this point in its promotional cycle, it makes no difference. There wasn't a Halo game/product/remake coming out in November 2006, and we aren't gonna get any Halo 4 news/trailers/anything until after Anniversary is out.

ElRenoRaven

Gabotron ES said:

How pathetic. I also heard in the few seconds I watched that he loves to spew the slurs like your typical 12 year old Xbox Live member.

TheOddOne said:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8IrDN3uBik0/Tlcx5vJER4I/AAAAAAAABFA/OXUU891-7eI/s400/1749394.jpg[IMG]

KFC all day, everyday.[/QUOTE]

Oh you bastard. KFC is like godly. I've been craving some Original Recipe and a big side of Mac and Cheese.

feel

senador said:
I would love to download it and try it if Live would work.
Remember to turn off most of the assists when you get it. After you do that, even with just the pad, it feels so sublime.

Louis Wu said:
Heh - at 3:33, he kills KUROYUME... that's the only GAF name I noticed. (At least he was on the other team.)

What a douche - I really don't get people like this.
Man I was hoping I was the first person to notice that

also the gamertag sounds really familiar. I think I've probably played with him.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
Hot and spicy is the only way to go. GODTIER.

Oh that's good too. Hell KFC really has nothing that's bad. It's so fattening though. If it wasn't I'd probably eat it a hell of a lot more often. It's an interesting place to work too. My first job when I was 16 was there.

But back on topic. LOL

How about them racist 12 year old team betrayers.

senador

Banned
Letters said:
Remember to turn off most of the assists when you get it. After you do that, even with just the pad, it feels so sublime.

I usually turn most off but have to leave 1 or 2 on or I just get pissed. I didn't "finish" Forza 3 and wasn't planning to get 4 but hype is getting to me and the demo will probably make me fold. Stupid hype and demos.

Letters said:
You had me at BR. The comeback shot needs to be glorious, he can't just pick it up from the floor, shit needs to be some sort of grand chest opening like in zelda, with epic music and light coming out.

What you're referring to is the glorious moment when he picks up the hand cannon pistol. :p

I'll have to try the demo for Forza 4, its been a while since I played a racing game.

Karl2177

Halo 4? I still want more gameplay videos of Headlong, Hang 'em High, Timberlands, Prisoner, Beaver Creek, Damnation, and Installation 04.

On a side note, I'm looking into headphones(been in the headphone thread as well) and I'm down to 2 finalists, the ATH-M50 and the FA-011. If anyone has either of these and would recommend them, that would be great. Other recommendations I'd take as well.

Hypertrooper said:
Stop ignoring my posts Duncan, Ghal, PooBone.

*ignores quoted post*

Yes, I also agree with your thoughts on the Halo 4 teaser. I just clicked "Quote" on Ghaleon's post because it was at the bottom of the page.

When did the first gameplay reveals come out for halo 3 and reach? Those two and halo 4 were announced at around the same time in the year so maybe theyre reveals will be around the same time too.

biosnake20 said:
When did the first gameplay reveals come out for halo 3 and reach? Those two and halo 4 were announced at around the same time in the year so maybe theyre reveals will be around the same time too.
Halo 3:
First in-engine E3 2006
First ViDoc E3 2006
First gameplay screen (multiplayer) fall 2006
First CGI trailer Dec 2006
First gameplay Dec 2006 (via ViDoc Et Tu brute)

Halo: Reach:
First in-engine trailer: Spike VGA's.
First gameplay screens(leaked) Dec 2009
First official gameplay screens: GameInformer Feburary Issue 2010.
First ViDoc with gameplay: A few weeks after the release of the GI issue: End of January 2010.

So im guessing after the trailer at the VGA's there will be a vidoc shortly after. But you never know this isnt bungie anymore.

TOM MORELLO NEEDS TO COME THROUGH!

KevinRo

Can someone help me out here? Looking up news at HaloWaypoint is too exhausting the forums seem dead there.

Can I buy the HaloCE:AE maps separately AT launch or will I have to wait a couple of months?

Sai-kun

Banned
KevinRo said:
Can someone help me out here? Looking up news at HaloWaypoint is too exhausting the forums seem dead there.

Can I buy the HaloCE:AE maps separately AT launch or will I have to wait a couple of months?

I don't think it'll be months, but I don't believe it'll be day/date with CEA.

also fml i want kfc now

and sushi

Nutter

KevinRo said:

You will have to wait.

But if you can get this game at $30 launch(which you can), why not just get it?

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Stop ignoring my posts Duncan, Ghal, PooBone.
I wasn't ignorning your post, I read it and agreed. I quoted Dax because I disagreed with him. I'm also crazy mad busy today and don't have time to respond to everyone (my posts in this thread are down steeply the past month for that reason).

But yes, you made good points. I am now going to eat lunch. I'm thinking a delicious pepperoni pizza will do the trick, all hot and bubbly and OMG.

GhaleonEB said:
But yes, you made good points. I am now going to eat lunch. I'm thinking a delicious pepperoni pizza will do the trick, all hot and bubbly and OMG.
I'm seeing what you are trying to do. But it doesn't work.
It does work, damn you!

Sai-kun

Banned
Where's my cute "fuck you" picture when I need it? ;P

Stop talking about food!

I've noticed in the past couple months that all my family does is talk about food. Before eating, after eating, while eating, it's always food, food, food. Very strange.

Oh, Halo talk. Uhhhhhh I haven't played in awhile. Bloom playlists are up tomorrow, yes?

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't ignorning your post, I read it and agreed. I quoted Dax because I disagreed with him. I'm also crazy mad busy today and don't have time to respond to everyone (my posts in this thread are down steeply the past month for that reason).

I've been posting a lot less than I used to for some reason. I still read every single post, I just haven't been as chatty. I guess I need to argue more.

My current post rate is at 0.24 devos, compared to your 0.51 devos and Hypertrooper's 0.63 devos.

Our cat-bearded friend of course posts at 1.00 devos.

-------
I had the most delicious cheeseburger yesterday. Tonight's menu calls for reheated pizza.

ncsuDuncan said:
I've been posting a lot less than I used to for some reason. I still read every single post, I just haven't been as chatty. I guess I need to argue more.

My current post rate is at 0.24 devos, compared to your 0.51 devos and Hypertrooper's 0.63 devos.

Our cat-bearded friend of course posts at 1.00 devos.
lol at using Devolution as an unit. I thought I would fall, because school started again. But yeah didn't happen.

But we can compare:
My posts are only 0,04 Duncans worth, Ghal's are 0,76Duncans and yours are 1.00 Duncans.*

*This is roughly estimated.

heckfu

Banned
Does anyone wanna play? I'm tired of getting stuck with fucking randoms. I just went +11, rest of team went -5, -6, -5.

Hypertrooper said:
lol at using Devolution as an unit. I thought I would fall, because school started again. But yeah didn't happen.

But we can compare:
My posts are only 0,04 Duncans worth, Ghal's are 0,76Duncans and yours are 1.00 Duncans.*

For those of you playing at home, you can easily calculate it using this handy formula:

duncan coefficient = (K/D) * [ ( Assists + Trueskill ) / (Rank - 50) ] + ( Age / 24 ) - (# of gifs you posted this week)*(12 parsecs) + (Halo honor)^2

The units should cancel out perfectly. Round to the nearest multiple of 7.

50 wins for the weekly?

I play ~5-7 games a day... No way I can get this challenge. Averaging 9 minutes per game (games last from 7-10 mins, more heavily leaning on the 10 minute side), that's 450 minutes, or 7.5 hours of gameplay at minimum, not including lobby and searching time. And that's if you win 50 times in a row, which is statistically unlikely. My win ratio is about 60-70%.

That's a tough weekly.

Louis Wu

ncsuDuncan said:
For those of you playing at home, you can easily calculate it using this handy formula:

duncan coefficient = (K/D) * [ ( Assists + Trueskill ) / (Rank - 50) ] + ( Age / 24 ) - (# of gifs you posted this week)*(12 parsecs) + (Halo honor)^2

The units should cancel out perfectly. Round to the nearest multiple of 7.
I'd calculate this for me, except 1) I have no clue how to measure Trueskill and 2) I'm lazy. (Yes, I left out Halo Honor. Did I mention I'm lazy?)

Hypertrooper said:

But we can compare:

Not the first time, on another forum I was used as a unit for weight since I'm like 100 lbs. So people would start talking about their weight in devos.

That unstoppableLuck kid, bad memories of being betrayed in games as soon as I spoke on mic. People like him really are day ruiners. If he's a minor, Xbox Live and Microsoft should send a cease and desist letter to his parents detailing his numerous abuses. Boy needs some discipline bad.

Top Bottom