• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

daedalius

lybertyboy said:
Same day Sparkast inbound. Recorded today, releasing today.

Editing it as I type this.

Damn, I'm just about off of work. Should have come out earlier :p

Been lost on Halopedian for a while, looking forward to Glasslands quite a bit now.

lybertyboy said:

Sparkast today? Argh awesome! Have to turn my PC on to post a shitload of happy gifs.

Wait a sec. Looks at time. Damnit...

feel

lybertyboy said:

From today? Nice. I was under the impression the next one would be one recorded a while ago so this is a pleasant surprise.

Drop a Classic settings beta playlist megaton s'il vous plait, I'm not excited for any % of bloom or AAs in matchmaking. Though frankly, I'm swamped with other great games right now so the return of good Halo on matchmaking can take its time.

edit- If I was a (naughty) mod I would change the thread title tomorrow to "|OT| I never asked for this either" in reference to both the beta playlist and the time I've been spending on Deus Ex

ncsuDuncan said:
Personally, I'm not worried. The story is in able hands and I trust that 343 at least knows what makes Halo feel like Halo. A gameplay trailer would confirm to the masses that Halo 4 isn't going to be a third-person stealth RPG. Us sticklers would need hands-on time to see if they nailed the little details that give an FPS that Halo feel, and we have a long wait for hands-on time.
My only concern is the opposite, that it'll be too close to Bungie's Halo, and not unique enough, that they might not venture into the unknown for series and maybe fps in general.

I will be happy with a great Bungie-esc Halo game. But it will feel like somewhat of a missed opportunity.

Said another way : the art is evolving, the music is changing, as is the story/narrative, so the gameplay should too.

Edit : Sparkcast? So soon? Thank you David!

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
This is a really, really, REALLY bad idea.

Luckily, 343 would never allow this to happen.

Oh. I think you'd make a great old grizzled Marine. You could be the cranky one always a step behind the others. lol ;P

lybertyboy said:

David don't you tease me. I can't take it man. I just got done with my stationary bike and don't think I can take it.

Tunavi said:
Tomorrow we move into our new home

http://i.imgur.com/CqdkK.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's just hilarious man. So totally hilarious.

[QUOTE=Zeouterlimits]My only concern is the opposite, that it'll be too close to Bungie's Halo, and not unique enough, that they might not venture into the unknown for series and maybe fps in general.

I will be happy with a great Bungie-esc Halo game. But it will feel like somewhat of a missed opportunity.

Said another way : the art is evolving, the music is changing, as is the story/narrative, so the gameplay should too.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the story needs to be theirs. However gameplay wise I'll fight you tooth and nail on that. It's Halo and a fps. It must play like Halo. If it doesn't then it's not freaking Halo.

I'm not saying don't put your spin on things or add some of your own touches but the base Halo gameplay is one of the big things that make Halo what it is.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
-------

Have you seen textbook prices lately? I think I just found my get-rich-quick scheme.

All I need to do now is find some college willing to put "Halo Donging 101" on the required curriculum for freshmen.
I'm taking a class called Games and Society right now.

Make it happen.

Tunavi said:
Tomorrow we move into our new home

CqdkK.png
Yus.

Zeouterlimits said:
My only concern is the opposite, that it'll be too close to Bungie's Halo, and not unique enough, that they might not venture into the unknown for series and maybe fps in general.

Said another way : the art is evolving, the music is changing, as is the story/narrative, so the gameplay should too.

Edit : Sparkcast? So soon? Thank you David!
They said that the core is still the Halo gameplay, but the stuff around will be new. It's a big problem, because if they add too much, people will be mad. But if they add nothing new, new customers won't buy it.

Btw. Bing is giving away an early copy of Halo: Anniversary:
"We're giving away an advance copy of Halo Anniv. via #BingRewards sweeps: http://t.co/6WbH8aqK Get it before it hits stores! ^bb"
Edit.: It's US-only. :/

MrBig

I want 343 to take a radical departure from Bungie's space opera and make it more of a high-scifi, world-building universe.

Sparth's art is spot on for that.

Tha Robbertster said:
For me, tomorow is like the perfect day: I only have 3 different courses, no homework to do and the shortest day of the week. But I'll probably still wait till more gaffers are around to play with.
I have four classes and three hours of work, and homework :(

PsychoRaven said:
I agree that the story needs to be theirs. However gameplay wise I'll fight you tooth and nail on that. It's Halo and a fps. It must play like Halo. If it doesn't then it's not freaking Halo.

I'm not saying don't put your spin on things or add some of your own touches but the base Halo gameplay is one of the big things that make Halo what it is.
I agree, to a certain extent. I'm just not sure where the line is when it comes to putting your own spin on things. I still want the Warthog to handle in a manner similar to/as fun as it is (in H3), but I'd like a new "Warthog" level of loved vehicle too. I want fun AI sandbox combat but I don't want to be able to say "This is the grunt-replacement species, this is the Elite-replacement species", I want AI that challenges the sandbox in NEW ways.

I know what I definetely want: competent AI team-mates, something Bungie failed to capitalise on in Reach with the Squad of Spartans.
That being said I'm hoping a lot of H4 is just you & Cortana on your own, against the odds and whatever foe awaits us.

Striker

Zeouterlimits said:
I still want the Warthog to handle in a manner similar to/as fun as it is (in H3), but I'd like a new "Warthog" level of loved vehicle too.
I don't want another slow Warthog.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
I want 343 to take a radical departure from Bungie's space opera and make it more of a high-scifi, world-building universe.

Sparth's art is spot on for that.
So like Cryptum? I'm in.

EDIT: Mini-boss/Boss enemies.

Plz. I know Bungie didn't want bosses in the Halo formula but after playing Gears, you can have some really cool boss battle encounters.

Striker

Zeouterlimits said:
True, I'd be okay with a speed boost, but it's the rolly-polly physics of Reach I was trying to avoid by mentioning Halo 3.
I want a speedier 'hog, but also one that can't get flipped by precision weapons (Halo 3, Reach).

A27 Tawpgun said:
So like Cryptum? I'm in.

Plz. I know Bungie didn't want bosses in the Halo formula but after playing Gears, you can have some really cool boss battle encounters.

As long as there's nothing like the final fight in Gears 3. #rage

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
So like Cryptum? I'm in.

I haven't read cryptum, but by high-scifi I'm referring to scifi's highpoint, which was the 70s-80s.

The bosses that were in H1 and H2 were bad enough, it is such an outdated challenge I hope it dies off soon.

MrBig said:
I haven't read cryptum, but by high-scifi I'm referring to scifi's highpoint, which was the 70s-80s.

The bosses that were in H1 and H2 were bad enough, it is such an outdated challenge I hope it dies off soon.

Halo CE had a boss?

Tawpgun

MrBig said:

Bosses are boss, gtfo*

when designed well

Booshka said:
The Platinum Elite's throwing arm was a mini-boss.

I don't know what he is talking about.
The first time you fought the Zealot on the Assault on the Control Room bridge on anything higher than Normal was a boss all its own. Damn thing would catch you off guard by jumping higher than you could and then kill you in one hit.

Zee-V70 said:
The first time you fought the Zealot on the Assault on the Control Room bridge on anything higher than Normal was a boss all its own. Damn thing would catch you off guard by jumping higher than you could and then kill you in one hit.

PP + Mag = dead "boss"

The Real Napsta said:
PP + Mag = dead "boss"
Well yeah, sure, but just think back to before things like GAF and HighImpactHalo which would teach you things like the noob combo. Imagine trying to fight that thing off without the powers of the internet using only an Assault Rifle and Magnum. D:

Tawpgun

Zee-V70 said:
Well yeah, sure, but just think back to before things like GAF and HighImpactHalo which would teach you things like the noob combo. Imagine trying to fight that thing off without the powers of the internet using only an Assault Rifle and Magnum. D:

Looking back at campaign... the AR has to be by far the most useless weapon.

Translates well to MP too. lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tashi0106 said:
I just bought StarCraft II

Message me your names on that shit.
Lyphen.134

My B.Net authenticator is on my phone....which I sent into Sony Ericsson for warranty, so I can't log in. Yay.

Karl2177 said:
I just chillax and Bronze league it up.
I would play competitive if they didn't dump me in Platinum. I'm not that good Blizzard, I swear!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ken said:
Expanding your range of competitive games? Do you still play SSFIV?

Ahh I haven't played in a while. I've been hitting Halo real hard for the event. Maybe I'll pick it back up after the event. Really, I'm looking forward to Soul Calibur 5 and SF X Tekken

Homeboyd

Wonder when 343 releases updates for MM... Bungie had a pretty set schedule for the monthly updates if I'm not mistaken.

I probably am.

Top Bottom