• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB said:
I think know now about as much as we knew then.

--The initial setting (Earth / big Forerunner thingy)
--Moment of crisis and mystery (Ark opening / big Forerunner thingy opening)
--Chief and Cortana's relationship (separated from the Chief sending weird messages / back snugly in his armor)
--Where the game falls in the story arc (end of a trilogy / start of a trilogy)

It's true we had more context for the Halo 3 trailer due to the previous two games, but in terms of content, we've seen more hints about Halo 4 than Halo 3 at this point, thanks to the art trailer from HaloFest. And realisticly, I'm not expecting much more until near the end of the year, post CEA-release.

The questions around the studio won't be answered until we play the game.
I think you can argue that, as a whole, if you're going to quantify it, both have about the same amount of content. But my point is that Halo 3 did in one trailer what we've gotten in 2 for Halo 4, and provided us with more. Halo 3 provided us with an in-game realization of a major place of the story; for Halo 4 we have concept art. Halo 3 gave new story information for the two biggest threads in Halo 2; not so with Halo 4.

And I disagree on your "moment of crises comparison." We're not going to spend half the game on the ship.
Hypertrooper said:
Dax, I know your point. But you forget something big:
-We already knew before Halo 3, that there is something on Earth.
-We knew that something happens between Cortana and the Gravemind.
All these information we know already at the end of Halo 2. The only new things were the new Assault Rifle and how the Forerunner structure looks like.
I wasn't forgetting anything. Both story points were furthered by the trailer, and the fans were given new information.

In fact, you are incorrect on both story points. Here's all the information on the Ark we were given in Halo 2:
Guilty Spark: Why the Ark, of course.
Arbiter: And where, Oracle, is that?
Then we cut to a shot of the Dreadnought approaching Earth.

That was it. The only thing Halo 2 did was merely imply that the Ark was on Earth, which ultimately proved misleading. With the Halo 3 trailer, we got a look at this huge structure that may or may not have been the Ark, and got a good, though incomplete, look at what it does. Half of Halo 3 revolved around the Portal.

As for Cortana and the Gravemind, the last we saw of Cortana, she was fine. Or, as fine as you could be as an AI in the clutches of the Gravemind. We didn't know what would happen to her, and the trailer furthered our knowledge on her situation with the cryptic messages, a style of storytelling the game would use.

We've gotten two teasers for Halo 4 and we don't know nearly as much. The first teaser didn't advance our knowledge of the story in the slightest, the second only through concept art and an image that's impossible to make out. There's nothing as significant to latch on to. The Halo 3 announcement trailer showed us what Bungie was aiming for in-engine. Neither two trailers say anything, or even hint at, Cortana's rampancy.
You expected something big for Halo 4 announcemant trailer.
I didn't know what to expect. I knew MS was showing something Halo 4 related, but I didn't know what.
The problem is the trailer should be understandable for everyone and not only for the Halo fans.
Right, but that doesn't mean you have to throw out information that would be fun for the biggest fans. It's not an either/or situation. They did this with the Halo 3 and it worked out miraculously.
Edit.: Compare the Halo: Reach teaser with the Halo 4 teaser.
It doesn't make sense to because Reach wasn't a sequel.

Edit: It's getting kind of murky, so I'll summarize: I think you got more bang for your buck with the Halo 3 trailer. That's all I'm saying.

Louis Wu said:
I'd calculate this for me, except 1) I have no clue how to measure Trueskill
Pick a number between 0 and 1337. Now roll that many 20-sided dice and add up the results. If you usually play with guests divide your answer by 2, 3, or 4.

and 2) I'm lazy. (Yes, I left out Halo Honor. Did I mention I'm lazy?)
Halo Honor is easy. Go grab a 1040A form, a pocket calculator, and a #2 pencil. I'll wait.

Major Williams said:
50 wins for the weekly?

I play ~5-7 games a day... No way I can get this challenge. Averaging 9 minutes per game (games last from 7-10 mins, more heavily leaning on the 10 minute side), that's 450 minutes, or 7.5 hours of gameplay at minimum, not including lobby and searching time. And that's if you win 50 times in a row, which is statistically unlikely. My win ratio is about 60-70%.

That's a tough weekly.

Not with the hoppers going live tomorrow :lol

Speaking of which, is there a specific time we should expect them to go live?

Kibbles

Went to McDonalds, check out dat 343 receipt. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa. This is the kind of excitement I'm bound to when there is nothing new to see! Bahhhhhh. Playlist updates go live tomorrow right?
DNw7o.jpg

Homeboyd

Tha Robbertster said:
Tom Morrello, good times.

It was the first time I saw Gaf. What a great day that was!
Same here. I heard the same from a few other gaffers as well.

That asshat contributed several outstanding, fantastic, noteworthy, and contributing members like myself.

#cheers

ncsuDuncan said:
(number of XBL messages you receive from BKs wanting a rematch)

divided by

(length of time you spend at the respawn screen)
Welcome, the first prof of Halo math.

Other news: I just smell that 343i is cooking a sparkast right now. Or is it David's first solo debut album: Songs I sing.

wwm0nkey

Ken said:
Is everyone waiting for the Beta playlist update tomorrow? No one is on right now. ]:
Battlefield 3 man I am pretty much hooked on this right now until tomorrow lol

The Real Napsta said:
So it's October, where is my Hang em High/new forge map screens and gameplay?
We will probably see Hang Em High on the 15th

Ken said:
Is everyone waiting for the Beta playlist update tomorrow? No one is on right now. ]:
I played. But now I'm offline. Going to bed soon. I'm sorry. Tomorrow we shall all play together in the glory beta hoppers playlist. And then the complaining about Hoppers playlist can start!

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
(number of XBL messages you receive from BKs wanting a rematch)

divided by

(length of time you spend at the respawn screen)
These equations must go on Misriah Solutions.

I may need to reference them later.

Then HBO needs a sub-page for them.

Bust out Excel.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah same.

I'll play the new playlist in Reach tomorrow though.

I'm wondering if I'm even going to like the new playlist. ZB is only for slayer, and 85% bloom is probably gonna piss me off 15% less than default.

Plus armor lock and camo galore most likely.

What is even worse is if Zero Bloom Slayer is default movement and jump.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
I'm wondering if I'm even going to like the new playlist. ZB is only for slayer, and 85% bloom is probably gonna piss me off 15% less than default.

Really hope 343i took the GAF gametype settings for the Zero Bloom playlist. Either one of the settings we have would be MUCH better than default.

wwm0nkey said:
Really hope 343i took the GAF gametype settings for the Zero Bloom playlist. Either one of the settings we have would be MUCH better than default.

Just making movement and jump 110% makes it play so much better.

The Real Napsta said:

It will still be much better than anything in matchmaking right now, plus 4v4 mix of Slayer and Objective is the shit.

Speaking of which, I'm glad the weekly is a multiplayer one this week for the new playlist.

You know what would be cool way to show off a new map?

Write a really short machinima script that takes place on it. Give the speaking parts to various community members, maybe through a quick contest. Winners record their lines at home without seeing the level, then email the files to 343.

Capture the footage at the studio and release the video as a trailer.

Remember the in-engine Gamestop preorder vids for Reach? Cheesy as hell, but I liked them more than the normal Gamestop commercials.

-------
David: If you make another B-roll video for the press, you should put "B-ROLL SCENE #X" title cards at the beginning of each cut so IGN has to at least edit those out.

-------
A27 Tawpgun said:
These equations must go on Misriah Solutions.

I may need to reference them later.

Then HBO needs a sub-page for them.

Bust out Excel.
Have you seen textbook prices lately? I think I just found my get-rich-quick scheme.

All I need to do now is find some college willing to put "Halo Donging 101" on the required curriculum for freshmen.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll,

………………_„-,-~''~''':::'':::':::::''::::''….............
………._,-'':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::…............
………..,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::…............
………,-'::::::::::::„:„„-~-~--'~-'~--~-~…
……..,'::::::::::,~'': : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '-|
……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''¯¯''-„: : : : :\
……..|::::::::|: : : : : : : : : _„„--~'''''~-„: : : : '|
……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |: :(_ o__): : |: : : :|:(_o__): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : :\
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : :|
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
…………..|: :''-,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
…………..',: : :''-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: ,'
……………| : : : : : : : : :_ : : : : : : : : : : ,-'
……………|: : : : : : : : : : '''~----------~''
…………._|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
……….„-''. '-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……,-''. . . . . '''~-„_: : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'''-„

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
Welcome, the first prof of Halo math.

Other news: I just smell that 343i is cooking a sparkast right now. Or is it David's first solo debut album: Songs I sing.
If it has Kanye West production then I'm all over it.

Hey You

KevinRo said:
Can someone help me out here? Looking up news at HaloWaypoint is too exhausting the forums seem dead there.

Can I buy the HaloCE:AE maps separately AT launch or will I have to wait a couple of months?
It will be released shortly as a download after launch. Not months after but not day/date.

ElRenoRaven

I've been thinking and I think I would want to see Halogaf's mascot that Frankie brought to life as a Marine. Imagine walking up and seeing a Pvt Dongblain. I think that would leave no doubt it was a Halogaf nod. At the same time it would be cool as hell to see an actually Louis Wu as a marine. Hell even make him look like him.

Ken

PsychoRaven said:
So I was thinking. Assuming there may be some UNSC forces in Halo 4 what are some Marine names you guys would like to see?

____ the Hedgehog.

Heckfu and I are in Squad Slayer, if anyone else would like to join.

Edit: Nevermind, stay away. Everyone is choosing AR/Pistol starts.

Louis Wu

PsychoRaven said:
At the same time it would be cool as hell to see an actually Louis Wu as a marine. Hell even make him look like him.
This is a really, really, REALLY bad idea.

Luckily, 343 would never allow this to happen.

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
ugh the day beta playlists come out is when I have class all day. we need to roll deep all week this week
I am off work this whole week since my store is training new hires. So Battlefield 3 and Halo: Reach all week for me.

thezerofire said:
ugh the day beta playlists come out is when I have class all day. we need to roll deep all week this week

For me, tomorow is like the perfect day: I only have 3 different courses, no homework to do and the shortest day of the week. But I'll probably still wait till more gaffers are around to play with.

heckfu

Banned
thezerofire said:

I just started my hospital rotation so I go in at 5 and get off at noon. Hellloooooo beta hopper!

inb4 joke about getting off

Top Bottom