• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone said:
STFU kylej.

Actually I don't have any objection. Hope Ghaleon has a peaceful break. Hope it's a short one.
Lol this is so lame dude. Just let it die.

ncsuDuncan said:
What if Halo 4 returned to this, but incorporated a form of ATLAS into the game?

ATLAS 2.0

- Accessed by holding, say, D-Pad Down.
- Brings up an overhead layout of the map.
- Current locations of your teammates and their statuses (i.e. blue - safe, yellow - taking fire, red X - trounced)

- Weapon layout on the map.

The weapon icons change to red 20 seconds before they respawn, change to green for the 10 seconds after respawn, then change back to the default black background. The icons don't disappear or change to indicate if someone has picked the weapon up, they only tell you when it is about to respawn (or just respawned). So you won't suddenly see the Rocket Launcher icon disappear and know that an enemy nabbed it, but three minutes later you would see the RL icon change to red then green.

Basically it makes timing weapon spawns easier for casual players. MLG can disable the map view, or maybe just select parts (i.e. show the layout but no player positions or weapon respawns).

- What if you could use screenshots of your Forge creation to make your own map layout for ATLAS 2.0?

When you take the screenshot, the game records the camera coordinates and uses the weapon coordinates to place the icons on the ATLAS map (it also places icons for the Red and Blue flag spawns, which only show up on the map in the appropriate CTF games).
During the game, the system takes player locations and does the required coordinate transformations to put their dots on the map. That, or the map layout tool locks you to certain camera angles to make the coordinate system easier to use (i.e. overhead so you only deal with X and Y translations).

Even without the in-game updates to player locations and weapon respawns, a static map of weapon locations for Forge variants would be really helpful and could be done with a simple stamp tool. (I'm sure the full idea would be insanely complicated to program. I'm just daydreaming here.)
Very cool idea and I hope something similar gets implemented. Gears 3's overhead maps are fantastic and I'll be glad to have something similar in Halo.

FyreWulff said:
I love the alt fire modes in Perfect Dark but it doesn't really work unless the game and lore is designed around it.

It's the same thing when people want ADS or lean in every single shooter, it only works if the game is designed around it or fits.

Alt fire wouldn't really work in Halo. The lore doesn't support it and it would pretty much be frivolous on all the human weapons.
Doesn't the BR have burst fire and full-auto firing modes in Halo lore? If that could be implemented well then I'd be okay with it.
Who am I kidding, it wouldn't be.

Anyone else find it weird that Halo multiplayer always has unused buttons? Namely on the D-pad. You got Firefight that supports nightvision and push talk in Halo 3 but that still leaves 3 extra directions to be used for something.

Ken

ncsuDuncan said:

Seems more like he wants to fuse some of the armor abilities with weapons.

Barrow Roll said:
Anyone else find it weird that Halo multiplayer always has unused buttons? Namely on the D-pad. You got Firefight that supports nightvision and push talk in Halo 3 but that still leaves 3 extra directions to be used for something.

Taunt buttons in Halo 4.

Barrow Roll said:
There is a reason, why Kinect is used.

Crucio

Dax01 said:
Still says October 25th for me. I guess it's only Europe/outside the US.
Doesn't seem like canadian dates have changed either. Hmm I'm debating now if I should buy the harcover this time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I want a Minority Report-esque Kinect menu for Halo 4:

6432-minorityreport_60xuw1.jpg

The kind of stuff being thrown around in that thread wasn't conducive to any sort of rational discussion about the subject. That's why those people were purged. They didn't read the OP and came in to just throw insults, bigotry, or post willfully ignorant homophobic/transphobic rants. I really don't feel bad for anyone this time around. I've seen way too many gender discussions end up just like this.

/soapbox

Anyway I was going to ask if the TU is going to see any changes at all in terms of settings. Or if we're just going to play sluggish the rest of the time.

Major Williams said:
Is it a perma ban? Or temporary?

Temp for Ghal. The perm was HeadlessRoland.

Devolution said:
The kind of stuff being thrown around in that thread wasn't conducive to any sort of rational discussion about the subject. That's why those people were purged. They didn't read the OP and came in to just throw insults, bigotry, or post willfully ignorant homophobic/transphobic rants. I really don't feel bad for anyone this time around. I've seen way too many gender discussions end up just like this.

/soapbox

Anyway I was going to ask if the TU is going to see any changes at all in terms of settings. Or if we're just going to play sluggish the rest of the time.

Who is headless?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
They didn't read the OP and came in to just throw insults, bigotry, or post willfully ignorant homophobic/transphobic rants. I really don't feel bad for anyone this time around. I've seen way too many gender discussions end up just like this.
Word.
Devolution said:
Oh shit, Ghal was on the list? Didn't notice that. Hope he's back soon.

MrBig

ElzarTheBam said:
Speaking of warzone's have you guys seen the new MP trailer for battlefield 3? Here, in case you haven't, will keep me occupied till anniversary hits.
This makes me never want to play Halo mp ever again.

Devolution said:

/soapbox

Ghal tweeted me this, you should read it:
Tweet 1
Tweet 2
Tweet 3
Tweet 4
Tweet 5
Tweet 6

ElRenoRaven

So I just have one thing to say. Should 343 and their overlords at MS ever think about locking shit out like Batman, etc please don't. IF you do you get customers who are getting royally screwed like those who bought it.

Turns out a lot of copies didn't have their catwoman codes and some collectors editions seem to have gotten the DVD version of the movie instead of Blu-Ray copy.

So here is what they have to do to get a proper code.

They have to supply

A dated proof of purchase (receipt, invoice) showing the purchase of a NEW copy of the game (not a rented or used copy, nor a copy purchased from eBay)
Your gamertag for Xbox Live, or your profile for the PSN
Your email address
A scan or digital picture of the package and game disc(s)
A scan or digital picture of the code sheet (both sides).

That's not how you make happy customers. So please please don't ever go that route 343I. I'm begging you.

Hypertrooper said:
Ghal tweeted me this, you should read it:
Tweet 1
Tweet 2
Tweet 3
Tweet 4
Tweet 5
Tweet 6

The fact that he couldn't elaborate in his post with less insults and hysterics means he got rightfully banned among the rest. I'm sorry, there have been people in there who have discussed this and been contrary without throw away posts. The parents are dealing with a boy who has already mutilated himself. The hormone blockers are to give the boy adequate time to figure out what he wants to do, whether that entails transitioning or staying as is. Of course there will be side effects, there are no easy answers here but you don't really explain yourself well when you come in and post like he did.

PsychoRaven said:
So I just have one thing to say. Should 343 and their overlords at MS ever think about locking shit out like Batman, etc please don't. IF you do you get customers who are getting royally screwed like those who bought it.

Turns out a lot of copies didn't have their catwoman codes and some collectors editions seem to have gotten the DVD version of the movie instead of Blu-Ray copy.

So here is what they have to do to get a proper code.

They have to supply

That's not how you make happy customers. So please please don't ever go that route 343I. I'm begging you.
Who should blame them? It's a security measure. If you look at sites like cheap arse gamers etc, any leak and any mistake is going to be posted and misused. If they don't do it, people are going to get a lot of free codes etc.. There're definitely better methods, but they want to do it fast and this is fastest method for them.

Devolution said:
The fact that he couldn't elaborate in his post with less insults and hysterics means he got rightfully banned among the rest. I'm sorry, there have been people in there who have discussed this and been contrary without throw away posts. The parents are dealing with a boy who has already mutilated himself. The hormone blockers are to give the boy adequate time to figure out what he wants to do, whether that entails transitioning or staying as is. Of course there will be side effects, there are no easy answers here but you don't really explain yourself well when you come in and post like he did.
Check your pm.

ncsuDuncan said:

Today is Wednesday, right?

I wonder what the Bulletin has in store for us. I'd love to see some decent footage of High Noon.
He promised us the footage on Monday already. I hope SOMEONE IS STEALING HIS AWESOME HOODIE RIGHT NOW! :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ncsuDuncan said:
I'd love to see some decent footage of High Noon.
Yes, please.

Also: are custom challenges being rolled out alongside CEA? A little sooner would be nice.

ncsuDuncan said:
1. Strangers
2. Friends
3. Enemies

1. People I won't play Risk with
2. People I haven't played Risk with yet
3. People I have played Risk with

Be careful.

I've become a risk god :p That means nobody likes me when we play aka "PLEASE ALLY WITH ME"

A27_StarWolf said:
I've become a risk god :p That means nobody likes me when we play aka "PLEASE ALLY WITH ME"
I play Settlers of Catan every Wednesday. There have been two occasions where my friends surrendered to me shortly after the game began.

Also I'm the best at bowling, apparently. Last night I won with a 231*.

*Combined score of two games. Yep, we're pros.

ncsuDuncan said:

Today is Wednesday, right?

I wonder what the Bulletin has in store for us. I'd love to see some decent footage of High Noon.
I'm expecting some new neat details on custom challenges, I'm really excited about this feature.

ncsuDuncan said:
I play Settlers of Catan every Wednesday. There have been two occasions where my friends surrendered to me shortly after the game began.

Also I'm the best at bowling, apparently. Last night I won with a 231*.

*Combined score of two games. Yep, we're pros.

I FUCKING LOVE SETTLERS OF CATAN. I wish I owned that game...

Gabotron ES said:
I'm expecting some new neat details on custom challenges, I'm really exited about this feature.

1)Wait until the weekly lets you speedrun nightfall.
2)ask all 100 people possible on a friends list to set you a custom challenge which matches the weekly.
3)Instant Inheritor?

Speaking of warzone's have you guys seen the new MP trailer for battlefield 3? Here, in case you haven't, will keep me occupied till anniversary hits.

Was that trailer even remotely close to being possible on the 360? Or is it basically just the PC guys who will experience all of that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqfFfuVuNE

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
Was that trailer even remotely close to being possible on the 360? Or is it basically just the PC guys who will experience all of that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqfFfuVuNE
Consoles get a lower player count thanks to bandwidth caps (24p on consoles vs 64p on pc), so it will be decidedly less hectic, unfortunately. You will have the option of installing a higher-res texture pack to the 360 if you are referring to the graphics.

senador said:
Photo%20Oct%2019%2C%202%2013%2054%20PM%20%28HDR%29.jpg

This just arrived. Man its awesome! I can't wait to go through it.
I still haven't had a chance to open my limited edition one. It's still shrink-wrapped in the box it shipped in.

Ghaleon was banned? Sucks. The past two weeks went pretty quickly for me.

MrBig said:
Consoles get a lower player count thanks to bandwidth caps (24p on consoles vs 64p on pc), so it will be decidedly less hectic, unfortunately. You will have the option of installing a higher-res texture pack to the 360 if you are referring to the graphics.

I was more referring to the gameplay. I get the feeling that considering the beta's only map was Metro when PC guys also got Caspian borders that the xbox will have some seriously crappy maps. I mean even if they throw in the big maps they wouldnt work with the player limit. If they toned the maps down they wouldnt be as much fun.

Is that fair to say? Or is the awesome base jumping map available on xbox?

bobs99 ... said:
I was more referring to the gameplay. I get the feeling that considering the beta's only map was Metro when PC guys also got Caspian borders that the xbox will have some seriously crappy maps. I mean even if they throw in the big maps they wouldnt work with the player limit. If they toned the maps down they wouldnt be as much fun.

It's still the same 9 MP maps on the consoles versions. A couple of the super large map are scaled slightly, but apparently they are still damn huge.

The map with the cliff will definitely be there and be intact.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:

There is no difference in the map choices, you get all 9 (13 when you buy new) no matter what. Consoles will uses something akin to the "small" (arbitrary name) variant that was designed around having 32 players in place of 64 on pc. Vehicles and flags get adjusted. Everything else is the same.

Steelyuhas said:
It's still the same 9 MP maps on the consoles versions. A couple of the super large map are scaled slightly, but apparently they are still damn huge.

The map with the cliff will definitely be there and be intact.

MrBig said:
There is no difference in the map choices, you get all 9 (13 when you buy new) no matter what. Consoles will uses something akin to the "small" (arbitrary name) variant that was designed around having 32 players in place of 64 on pc. Vehicles and flags get adjusted. Everything else is the same.

You guys REALLY make me want to get Battlefield again. :p I had assumed the worst based on the beta but if that trailer is indicative of Xbox gameplay I want in! This is a seriously tough time to pick and choose games.

wwm0nkey

bobs99 ... said:
You guys REALLY make me want to get Battlefield again. :p I had assumed the worst based on the beta but if that trailer is indicative of Xbox gameplay I want in! This is a seriously tough time to pick and choose games.
Beta was 1month and 15day old code :p

But yeah everyone is saying the Final build is rock solid and amazing. I mean come on you can't beat a game that has a map where you can base jump.

Top Bottom