• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

feel

Havok said:
None of which were even close to as popular as the modern military shooters that most of Halo's competition consists of - Call of Duty was certainly already huge, but it was in a fledgling state compared to its status now. It created a zeitgeist around the modern military setting that dominates the current landscape - what was Halo supposed to do about that? The situations aren't as easily comparable as people have tried to say, which isn't to say that Reach doesn't have problems.
COD was already pretty big and every new release a blockbuster, Halo 3 always beat every one except for the very latest one. Now Reach after only a year is behind 3 of them, a console battlefield, a fifa, and an elder scrolls.

Though I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying.

Havok

xxjuicesxx said:
oh it lets you do your own challenges you created?
Yep. You're basically in a competition with the people you invite. When the time limit expires it ranks you (though everyone who completed it gets the credits). If you're the only participant, you automatically get 1st Place.
Letters said:
COD was already pretty big and every new release a blockbuster, Halo 3 always beat every one except for the very latest one. Now Reach after only a year is behind 3 of them, a console battlefield, a fifa, and an elder scrolls.
Because those audiences overlap, they are newer, and there are more of them. COD was big, like I said. It wasn't anywhere close to Black Ops/MW3 levels with COD4, though. And it shouldn't be surprising that Call of Duty games beat out Halo in the week leading up to a Call of Duty, when interest and anticipation is at its highest and when they are also offering prestige tokens for playing the older games.

I'm not saying that it's not a problem, just that its being overblown (I'm not singling you out, that kind of thing has been brought up a lot in recent months).

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Maybe I'll knock off the Firefight Challenges on Installation 04.
I played Installation 04 and I was instantly bored. I'm sorry but I don't want firefight to come back for Halo 4. Campaign is good enough.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
I played Installation 04 and I was instantly bored. I'm sorry but I don't want firefight to come back for Halo 4. Campaign is good enough.
I have only played one game on it (well, half a game) because it's the same game types I've been playing or months. A new map only refreshes things so much. I also got bored (which is why I left), but it did get a kick out of headshotting guys as they launched over the man cannon. I think it's a very strong map, but it really needs a refreshed game type on it.

I can knock off all four Challenges in one game of Doubles, so that's what I'll probably do.

Kujo

The Real Napsta said:
I'm American and there are always more than enough people to play.
We play when you guys are sleeping, so popularity (#8 ouch) does effect others. I can usually find a game, but low population means it's not optimal in terms of connection/skill/etc. I looked at MW3, the Domination population alone was 2x all of Reach. One Anni playlist was in the low 100s, maybe they're all still playing the campaign

GhaleonEB said:
I have only played one game on it (well, half a game) because it's the same game types I've been playing or months. A new map only refreshes things so much. I also got bored (which is why I left), but it did get a kick out of headshotting guys as they launched over the man cannon.

I can knock off all four Challenges in one game of Doubles, so that's what I'll probably do.
The chain 'hog makes all the difference in the world on this map. The terrain doesn't trip it up like it normally does apart from bad driving into a rock/off the cliff. And unless you spend all of your time on the main structure (which you shouldn't), the map is large enough that you can pretty much go do your own thing even with a full party of 4. Despite the tired gametypes, I'm enjoying the hell out of this map.

BTW, will I04 come up in Doubles if you both have the map, or is it strictly a CEA offering?

edit: I'll be on tonight, I'll look out for you and anyone else.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
The chain 'hog makes all the difference in the world on this map. The terrain doesn't trip it up like it normally does apart from bad driving into a rock/off the cliff. And unless you spend all of your time on the main structure (which you shouldn't), the map is large enough that you can pretty much go do your own thing even with a full party of 4. Despite the tired gametypes, I'm enjoying the hell out of this map.

BTW, will I04 come up in Doubles if you both have the map, or is it strictly a CEA offering?
I was playing Arcadefight in the Anniversary playlist, only got matched with one other person. That person hopped into the Warthog, I got in the gunner seat, and he drove the Warthog to a cliff and parked the back of it there hoping I'd have to hop out to my death. He didn't quite go far enough, and I got out safely.

I didn't get back in, even after he drove by, honking. That's been my only experience with it so far. If you (or anyone else) is on later, let's give it a whirl. I've been wanting a regular Hog in FF for a while now.

Tunavi said:

It is guaranteed to come back. Even if Firefight was terrible, a co-op mode is a feature you pretty much have to have it in a AAA shooter.

senador

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
It is guaranteed to come back. Even if Firefight was terrible, a co-op mode is a feature you pretty much have to have it in a AAA shooter.

Yup. Every mainstream game now needs a horde-esque mode. Co-op, another feature on the box.

MrBig

kylej said:
Man. Just visited Waypoint's stat stuff for the first time.

http://escapedintothewaves.com/uploads/asa.png[img]

51 days, 17 hours of Halo 3 playing time. And that's not counting some of my alts like Neighbors dad, etc, etc. So much timeeeeeeeeee[/QUOTE]
Looks like that counter is for time in MM games. If it included customs Reach would be but a shadow. I have double the time in matchmaking in Reach currently as I have had in H3 throughout its lifespan.

kylej

Banned
Booties said:
This new waypoint is too much to take in. I need bullet points on what to do to be cool again.

Hey baby doll, Iscariote and I sold MW3. That MP was janky as fuck. Pretty sure I'm buying these Halo maps soon and am going to dong the dicks off of kids this weekend. Be there xoxo

JB1981

Mojo said:
We play when you guys are sleeping, so popularity (#8 ouch) does effect others. I can usually find a game, but low population means it's not optimal in terms of connection/skill/etc. I looked at MW3, the Domination population alone was 2x all of Reach. One Anni playlist was in the low 100s, maybe they're all still playing the campaign

This was my fear too. Anniversay, objective, DLC playlists are ghost towns. The most populated playlists are Slayer/Swat/Snipers.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
kylej said:
If there's one thing this game definitely needs, it's more playlists.
Definitely.

But seriously goofy stuff like Racing, Living Dead, Action Sack could be a weekend playlist. I don't have the playlist roster available to me(not sure where it's at on Waypoint) at the moment but the discussions been beaten to death when it comes to fixing the playlist. It doesn't seem like they're going to be cutting down playlist so might as well throw in another, it would mostly have the Living Dead/Action Sack/Grifball crowd playing it anyway.

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, Waypoint's now pretty much gold-exclusive? I seem to remember being able to browse the old version while being on Silver.
The app on Xbox? On silver all it had was a pre-selected small amount of content to show you what it was like.

Dug

Banned
Plywood said:
Definitely.

But seriously goofy stuff like Racing, Living Dead, Action Sack could be a weekend playlist. I don't have the playlist roster available to me(not sure where it's at on Waypoint) at the moment but the discussions been beaten to death when it comes to fixing the playlist. It doesn't seem like they're going to be cutting down playlist so might as well throw in another, it would mostly have the Living Dead/Action Sack/Grifball crowd playing it anyway.
I swear there was a racing playlist....or maybe Racing just got picked in one playlist a lot.

So what all can be unlocked via the terminal thing on waypoint? Also, at the end of terminals I believe there are 5 symbols, and on the waypoint page there is room for 10 (at school atm, so these may be off).. I wonder if anything else can be unlocked by figuring out some kind of code.

Anyways, enjoying the new maps. Enjoying the shit out of Headlong. Sooo good.

Also, I wish classic and Reach modes were separate playlists. While Classic is fun, you can tell it was not what was in mind for Reach and feels off at times. Despite Reach's flaws, I do enjoy its gameplay under the right settings.
Don't hurt me, I love classic also!

Plywood said:
Definitely.

Yep agreed. Also, they need to combine Squad Slayer and Team Slayer.

Playlist page

GhaleonEB

Dug said:
I swear there was a racing playlist....or maybe Racing just got picked in one playlist a lot.
Rocket Race, and now Rocket Hog Race, is in Multi Team. I don't think straight up Race has ever been in matchmaking.

Edit: beaten like a something something.

Demoncarnotaur said:
So what all can be unlocked via the terminal thing on waypoint? Also, at the end of terminals I believe there are 5 symbols, and on the waypoint page there is room for 10 (at school atm, so these may be off).. I wonder if anything else can be unlocked by figuring out some kind of code.

Anyways, enjoying the new maps. Enjoying the shit out of Headlong. Sooo good.

Also, I wish classic and Reach modes were separate playlists. While Classic is fun, you can tell it was not what was in mind for Reach and feels off at times. Despite Reach's flaws, I do enjoy its gameplay under the right settings.
Don't hurt me, I love classic also!
You unlock
credits, background themes and a bonus terminal if you enter all 10 Terminal codes

Hypertrooper said:
You unlock
credits, background themes and a bonus terminal if you enter all 10 Terminal codes

Doing this when I get home then.
Bonus terminal? Awesome stuff! Anything good? Also, what are the background themes for?

GhaleonEB said:
I was playing Arcadefight in the Anniversary playlist, only got matched with one other person. That person hopped into the Warthog, I got in the gunner seat, and he drove the Warthog to a cliff and parked the back of it there hoping I'd have to hop out to my death. He didn't quite go far enough, and I got out safely.

I didn't get back in, even after he drove by, honking. That's been my only experience with it so far. If you (or anyone else) is on later, let's give it a whirl. I've been wanting a regular Hog in FF for a while now.
I can play firefight 3 hours from now, as long as it's normal firefight. I hate arcadefight/rocketfight/fiesta. They make it too easy.

wwm0nkey

Demoncarnotaur said:
Doing this when I get home then.
Bonus terminal? Awesome stuff! Anything good? Also, what are the background themes for?
The bonus terminal
leads into Halo 2 and explains why that group of covenant went heretic

I think we should be talking more about the 10th terminal :p

GhaleonEB

Barrel Cannon said:
I can play firefight 3 hours from now, as long as it's normal firefight. I hate arcadefight/rocketfight/fiesta. They make it too easy.
Unfortunately, for now, that is the 'normal' Firefight.

Though I love Fiesta. Spawning with nothing but a Spiker was amazing. I really wish it was fixed in Score Attack, I've been begging to get it fixed for over six months now. :(

It's like having a CTF game where you can't cap the flags. Sure you can still play the game, sort of....

Homeboyd

Homeboyd said:
So on B.net's Reach achievement list, License to Kill is worth 75 GS and on xboxlive.com it's worth 15 GS. I got it in a game yesterday and it showed up on xboxlive.com but not on B.net.

Then, I saw I unlocked "From Hell's Heart" on B.net's achievement page for Reach (don't remember getting it in-game) and see it's not unlocked on xboxlive.com. It's worth 25 GS on xboxlive.com and only worth 15 GS on B.net.

I also keep getting an error message when trying to load the achievements page for Reach on Waypoint's website and it appears it will only cover Reach's achievements (since the stat page only covers Reach's stats). Where will we view Anniversary achievements on Waypoint and which lists are accurate between xboxlive.com vs. B.net?
Ohai.

wwm0nkey said:
The bonus terminal
leads into Halo 2 and explains why that group of covenant went heretic

I think we should be talking more about the 10th terminal :p

Ah ok. Hm, I still wonder if they will use this to deliver more content in the future. Seems to be a good way to deliver pre-Halo 4, viral content.

That 10th terminal. Wow. I really wonder what this could all mean. If the Diadact is still alive, which seems to be the case, are other forerunners possibly alive?

wwm0nkey

Demoncarnotaur said:
Ah ok. Hm, I still wonder if they will use this to deliver more content in the future. Seems to be a good way to deliver pre-Halo 4, viral content.

That 10th terminal. Wow. I really wonder what this could all mean. If the Diadact is still alive, which seems to be the case, are other forerunners possibly alive?
The terminal also mentions
The Forerunner warriors (Prometheans)

Homeboyd

Karl2177 said:
No idea. b.net Reach tracking is super borked since 343i took over. The playlist headers in the playlist page for your service record are all backwards.
I can't even sign into Waypoint anymore. It keeps sending me to the xboxlive.com site where I'm already signed in, then I try to go back to Waypoint and it still shows I'm not signed in.

Murdermonkeys

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the note on Waypoint.

FyreWulff

Homeboyd said:
I can't even sign into Waypoint anymore. It keeps sending me to the xboxlive.com site where I'm already signed in, then I try to go back to Waypoint and it still shows I'm not signed in.

Murdermonkeys

Same issue here

GhaleonEB said:
Unfortunately, for now, that is the 'normal' Firefight.

Though I love Fiesta. Spawning with nothing but a Spiker was amazing. I really wish it was fixed in Score Attack, I've been begging to get it fixed for over six months now. :(

It's like having a CTF game where you can't cap the flags. Sure you can still play the game, sort of....

Fiesta is without a doubt my favorite Firefight gametype. So much variety of combat based the weapons you spawn with.

I played the Firefight map today, really good Firefight map, but the gametypes in the playlist are terrible.

Plywood, Y U play default BTB playlist?!?

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
Fiesta is without a doubt my favorite Firefight gametype. So much variety of combat based the weapons you spawn with.

I played the Firefight map today, really good Firefight map, but the gametypes in the playlist are terrible.
It feels like the map was well crafted for a true survival mode. The way the central stucture is modified to make it tough to defend, the ODST that spawn, the Warthog, the layout that makes it harder to camp one location, the man cannon shenanegans. It'll be much more interesting once a revitalized Limited is put on it and those elments can be put to good use.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
It feels like the map was well crafted for a true survival mode. The way the central stucture is modified to make it tough to defend, the ODST that spawn, the Warthog, the layout that makes it harder to camp one location, the man cannon shenanegans. It'll be much more interesting once a revitalized Limited is put on it and those elments can be put to good use.

What time are you going to be on tonight? Because I'd also like to get your feedback on my Anniversary Firefight gametype before too long.

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Plywood, Y U play default BTB playlist?!?
>doesn't buy CEA because he doesn't support what Reach did to Halo, regardless of the fact that CEA fixed a healthy amount of those problems
>continues to play Reach

smh.gif

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
What time are you going to be on tonight? Because I'd also like to get your feedback on my Anniversary Firefight gametype before too long.
Yeah sorry, haven't played it yet. I played CEA for a couple days and then Skyrim took over my life. I get up early just so I can do planning for my questing in the evening (this morning it was prepping my gear for a nasty dungeon expedition I have planned tonight; it's going to be quite the trek for Nall and I).

I'll do FF first tonight, because if I don't I know Skyrim will just suck me in hard. Should be on around 8:00 pacific; that's my normal start time since its when the kids go to bed.

Top Bottom