• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

FyreWulff said:
I do solicit other people's feedback/playlist configurations at the end of the post, so if anyone else has suggestions..

My suggestion would be to include the MLG playlist because it's the only Halo 3 playlist with classic equipment-less gameplay.

bobs99 ... said:
I cant stop laughing at how bad the intro movie is the for multiplayer. I switch to multiplayer mode. See a video full of rocket launchers, armour lockers and assassinations and then switch back to single player lol.

You forgot all the jetpacks.

That aside, the Anniversary Classic playlist is the most fun I have ever had with Halo Reach.

I cant stop laughing at how bad the intro movie is the for multiplayer. I switch to multiplayer mode. See a video full of rocket launchers, armour lockers, jetpacks and assassinations and then switch back to single player lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
bobs99 ... said:
I cant stop laughing at how bad the intro movie is the for multiplayer. I switch to multiplayer mode. See a video full of rocket launchers, armour lockers, jetpacks and assassinations and then switch back to single player lol.

Fuck you, armor lock is amazing. :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deadly Cyclone said:
Fuck you, armor lock is amazing. :)

If by amazing you mean an abomination then yeah, I agree.

The Real Napsta said:
That aside, the Anniversary Classic playlist is the most fun I have ever had with Halo Reach.

How are the numbers?

When I got on last night most playlists were in the hundreds and I think team slayer only had like 4k people.

That's pretty disconcerting.

PooBone

bobs99 ... said:
I despise how the only playlist free of that bullshit is Anniversary Classic, which only uses 4 of the goddamn maps.

If anyone wants the Female MC avatar armor just shoot me a PM and I'll get it to you today.

Does anyone know what the codes at the end of the terminals unlocks on waypoint?

bobs99 ... said:

I didn't think it was bad, per se... Tashi's montage he posted in the Anniversary Thread would have been way better though.

This may be a stupid question, but is there a post/page somewhere that details exactly what technical differences (weapon damages, movement speed, bloom, weapon timers etc) there are in the Anniversary Playlist and the differences between the playlists inside the "Anniversary" Group?

Blinding

Letters said:
iirc they just left default reach jump settings on it.. lol

Eh, I know the settings say "unchanged," but I don't think that's actually true. I changed jump height to 100% and it instantly felt more floaty.

Also, are Custom Challenges using the Custom setting working for anyone else? I have one setup for pistol kills and it's not registering any of them.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
You don't need the flashlight in Keyes anymore? Thank goodness. Fighting the Flood in the coolant section with a flashlight that doesn't have infinite battery was extremely annoying.
Took away from the terror imo.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
I can't be scared if I'm annoyed constantly. The level isn't scary anyway, I don't think.
The flashlight just added something to it that I miss. It wasn't hard to control the battery.

Two Betrayals however was a little too bright. Could have easily been daytime.

Tha Robbertster said:
What does the waypoint service record use to calculate your K/D? My waypint K/D is pretty different from the Bungie service record K/D.
Do you look at the right K/D? One of the K/Ds shows your K/D of all 360 Halos combined.

Ken

Alienshogun said:
If by amazing you mean an abomination then yeah, I agree.

How are the numbers?

When I got on last night most playlists were in the hundreds and I think team slayer only had like 4k people.

That's pretty disconcerting.
While I was on yesterday afternoon Anniversary classic hovered around 1.2k.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'd like to see the TU make more widespread changes. Can 343 change the properties of weapons in campaign as well?

Personally, I'd love to see the 3sk pistol made global, making it a good alternative to the DMR. Not many gametypes include it anyway. Movement speed changed to classic too. Reduced bloom across campaign, firefight and matchmaking. Zero bloom in SWAT. Just a little consistency across the board. Its too hard to keep track of now.

It's like I'm playing Unreal Tournaments on crappy mutation filled servers.

Ken

Lyphen said:
I'd like to see the TU make more widespread changes. Can 343 change the properties of weapons in campaign as well?

Personally, I'd love to see the 3sk pistol made global, making it a good alternative to the DMR. Not many gametypes include it anyway. Movement speed changed to classic too. Reduced bloom across campaign, firefight and matchmaking. Zero bloom in SWAT. Just a little consistency across the board. Its too hard to keep track of now.

It's like I'm playing Unreal Tournaments on crappy mutation filled servers.
Probably won't happen since there are people who still enjoy vanilla Reach.

Ramirez

Ken said:
Probably won't happen since there are people who still enjoy vanilla Reach.

When a game plummets to the 8th spot on activity charts, you have to wonder who these people are, and if they actually matter. ;) :p

Ken

Ramirez said:
When a game plummets to the 8th spot on activity charts, you have to wonder who these people are, and if they actually matter. ;) :p
Pretty sure the people who like vanilla Reach are those that have kept Reach in the top 10 so yeah, they do matter. Will be interesting to see what effect the Anniversary maps have on Reach the next time those lists come out.

Custom challenges seem cool and all, but how do they work. Does it notify you if someone sends you a challenge or do you have to check waypoint and accept it.

With the payment, how does that work? does your CR total just top up when you complete a challenge without notification?

Anyone mind sending me a random custom challenge? I am curious as to how it all works.

Havok

bobs99 ... said:
Custom challenges seem cool and all, but how do they work. Does it notify you if someone sends you a challenge or do you have to check waypoint and accept it.

With the payment, how does that work? does your CR total just top up when you complete a challenge without notification?
It's all outside the game - the Waypoint challenges page is required. When you complete the challenges that you've accepted, you click the Turn In button, and once the time limit for the challenge has expired, you are awarded the credits. It's a very slick system.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
bobs99 ... said:
Custom challenges seem cool and all, but how do they work. Does it notify you if someone sends you a challenge or do you have to check waypoint and accept it?

We're looking into adding Xbox Live notifications for the next iteration of custom challenges.

Ramirez

Louis Wu said:
OMG - 8th? IT'S A FAILURE!

(I'm one of those people. I realize I don't matter, though. :) )

Um, yea I'd say it's pretty alarming to see a full fledged Halo release at the 8th position a little over a year after launch.

PooBone

Posted this in the OT on the gaming side. Here's my quick review, complaints and praises:
Played the game through on Legendary, then went back and did a couple levels on co-op normal.

I spent the first few levels wondering if I really did enjoy the new Anniversary package. Things that really jumped out at me initially, which I still don't like:

Music pauses when going to cutscenes, never did this before.

No sound options? Really?

Certain music changes during cutscenes happen at awkward, different moments (an example is in the cutscene after you rescue Keyes from T&R, the music kicks in when everyone grabs weapons, now it kicks in about 3 or 4 seconds too late, and it seems to do this in most of the cutscenes with any related music that changes according to action)

Pausing to reload last checkpoint is in a different location, instead of going down one in the menu like my muscle memory says I should, it's the first option. But I got used to this by the end of the game.

In "Halo" right after you get the warthog, you could climb up the wall to get on top of the map, now your warthog magically stalls before you get to the top and you go sliding back down. Lame.

Saw quite a few of the physics glitches where guns get stuck rolling inside of geometry. I don't remember ever seeing this in the original Xbox game, only when it was being played on a 360.

I hate Cortana's model, HATE IT! It's MUCH less expressive than the original model in Halo: Combat Evolved.

One other gripe is in the 343 GS cutscene that reveals the Flood, Keyes is still in his Captain's uniform he wears on the bridge. Pure laziness how Saber couldn't throw his head on top of a body with some combat fatigues like in the original.

I played a bit of multiplayer, and other than the classic playlist, (which only has 4 of the maps on it) the game is still fuckin Reach with all the bullshit that entails, which sucks. Also those MP achievements....

By by far my biggest complain comes with the level geometry on Truth and Reconciliation. There were about a dozen times on that level inside the ship where I would be hiding behind a corner and get shot through the wall. Switch to classic and the geometry I was hiding behind is only about half the size. Or I'd shoot out a door at an Elite and hit nothing, switch to classic mode and there's a part of a door there. Getting spotted around a corner before I could see an enemy. These things happened over and over and it's an embarrassing oversight.

Other than the last one, these are some fairly minor complaints.

Things I love: The enemy models all look amazing. Fighting the Flood is as tight as ever even with the new look. The lighting is so dramatic in so many places and in 99% of the locations you visit, the art direction is fantastic. Only complaint there would be the subtle use of purple in some Forerunner locations.

While I'm no hater of the Library, it does look more interesting and for that reason is perhaps a bit more fun to traverse.

Keyes, my least favorite level in the game, is 100 times better thanks to the lighting in the ground/coolant pool area.

The achievements are great, some of them are fun and I got them by accident or without effort on my first run, others will take hours and lots of patience to get. Pretty good layout on those.

The lonely marine is still there. :)

I found 4 skulls on my first playthrough, and spotted another I need to go back and grab. A couple of these were in very sinister locations. So I think I have 8 more to find and I'm gonna try to refrain from looking up a guide for a while to see how many I can snag.

The terminals are awesome. I'm missing two though. Lookin forward to finding those and then sitting down and dissecting them through the "Extras" menu option.

All in all, I think 343/Saber did a great job and I'm very pleased with the package. Money well spent and I would have no problem calling this the definitive version of Halo.... any Halo.... Combat Evolved through Reach. This campaign will get lots of playtime from me, moreso than 3, ODST, and Reach combined in all likelihood. The vision, the care it was handled with, and the (mostly) tasteful way the game was updated to Halo 3 standards of Forerunner architecture was handled very impressively, and I have even more faith that 343 will do the Halo franchise justice in their future projects.

Now about that Halo 2 remake.....

So there are some legit rumors going around that the next Xbox is going to be some sort of Windows 8 OS running system. How amazing would that be? I'm pumped for windows 8 :)

also just got my copy of CEA.

Is this messing up credits? I made a 300 headshots in FF challenge and it gives you 8100 credits? Doesnt seem right.

Anyways people make me some FF challenges! I'll make you one back.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Needs a racing playlist. ;)

But seriously I'd love a racing playlist.

Barrow Roll said:
Okay, the higher and floatier jump I notice when playing campaign isn't actually there and I'm just mental. :/

C'mon guy, just go play the campaign then switch to the Anniversary gametype. The lower jump and falling like a rock is instantly noticeable. CE may not be as floaty as Halo 2 but it's definitely floatier than the present Anniversary settings.

The default jump height is a foot higher in Reach than in CE. The CE one is more floaty yes, but I hardly call that floaty. It doesn't bother me at all. (I never liked the floaty jump anyways, so that my be part of my perspective on it.)

Louis Wu

Blinding said:
That's silly, I like B.net's way better.
Well, the only real difference is that there doesn't seem to be a way to look at just the GAME - you can only really look at one of the players' PERFORMANCE in the game.

(The only thing they'd have to lose, though, is the summary that shows up to the left of the score in the top section; all other information is the same for all players. My guess is... this functionality will exist at some point in the near future. ;) )

heckfu

Banned
Don't know if someone else posted this already (since I'm mobile) but ol lybertyboy just tweeted that it's a super jackpot weekend. Dong party...engage.

Louis Wu said:
Well, the only real difference is that there doesn't seem to be a way to look at just the GAME - you can only really look at one of the players' PERFORMANCE in the game.

(The only thing they'd have to lose, though, is the summary that shows up to the left of the score in the top section; all other information is the same for all players. My guess is... this functionality will exist at some point in the near future. ;) )

Although it shows all the same info, I still like Bnets a lot more. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it's a lot easier to read for me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
Um, yea I'd say it's pretty alarming to see a full fledged Halo release at the 8th position a little over a year after launch.
I'm pretty worried. I don't like this shit.

Gabotron ES said:
Fuck evade, god!

Yeah seriously. I went into the Anni BTB playlist after playing only classic and people are just evading around Headlong, really dampened the experience of the incredibly awesome map.

Tashi0106 said:

Halo is dead! Long live Halo!

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Next Halo needs to be even MORE like Call of Duty. 343i needs to introduce every remaining little stupid cod thing that didn't make the cut on Reach, it's the only way.

v Halo 3 was also bombarded by newer popular games and it always clinged to the top spots.

stephen08

Ramirez said:

I wouldn't. Look what's beating it. Those are all well made games. Moreover, those are all well made newer games. With the exception of MW2 all of those games came out after Reach did (I guess Black Ops as well for that matter). It's also worth pointing out the reporting period. Nov. 7 - 14 encompassed the release of MW3 and Skyrim and was right before Anniversary hit. So it's not unlikely people were playing the older CoD games leading up to MW3's release and then switched over.

Beyond that, I still find this list to be a very poor measure of a games activity. It's indicative sure but counting unique users over a week long period is not a good metric. Last week I played a little bit of Spec Ops in MW2, a bunch of Reach MM, some Arkham City, and a fair amount of Skyrim. I was counted once for each game but that does not adequately reflect my activity level. That's not to say if we used a metric like total man hours that Reach would not fare similarly but it is reason to not be alarmed at this list.

Finally, even if it were an indication it still does not bother me as I have no trouble finding a match in Reach. Sure, a higher population would be nicer as it would provide a bigger matchmaking pool (a similar effect could be gained by consolidating playlists) but it's not something that is making the game unplayable. I put no stock in what I am playing being the popular thing or not, I play it because it's fun.

Letters said:
v Halo 3 was also bombarded by newer popular games and it always clinged to the top spots.

It did but this does not factor a host of other factors like changes in install base vs. growth of the franchise or quality of those releases it's not surprising to me that Gears 2 dropped off rather quickly but Gears 3 looks to be making a go of it. Overall, yes Halo 3 was more popular than Reach is now but it's not the crisis some are making it out to be.

Havok

Letters said:
None of which were even close to as popular as the modern military shooters that most of Halo's competition consists of - Call of Duty was certainly already huge, but it was in a fledgling state compared to its status now. It created a zeitgeist around the modern military setting that dominates the current landscape - what was Halo supposed to do about that? The situations aren't as easily comparable as people have tried to say, which isn't to say that Reach doesn't have problems.

kylej

Banned
Man. Just visited Waypoint's stat stuff for the first time.

asa.png

51 days, 17 hours of Halo 3 playing time. And that's not counting some of my alts like Neighbors dad, etc, etc. So much timeeeeeeeeee

GhaleonEB

I should probably play some more Anniversarry. After I clear out the cave I'm targeting for tonight, assuming I don't get distracted (ha!). Maybe I'll knock off the Firefight Challenges on Installation 04.

I've definitely been alarmed at the population numbers in the last few months. I'm not saying this because OMG I WANT HALOZ TO B DA MOST POPULAR or I view the top ten activity chart as a dick waving contest. In the day (European time) it's been shocking at times and even the very good netcode is stretched by the populaiton in some playlists.

I logged in the other day and the entire population for Reach was 10 thousand (spread across an over abundance of playlists). I imagine the stock slayer playlist alone in MW2 has 10000. It's a problem.

Top Bottom