• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

People seem to forget that Bungie explicitly stated that the new game is an ACTION game. Traditional MMORPGs are specifically NOT action games.

TheOddOne

I totally called it Bungie is striving for a POE MMO, I thought about it back when they talked about the world becoming more than Bungie's and how it becomes the fans:

Unless of course I'm digging too deep.
I'm with you on this, it really sounds like a MMO.

Then again, it could be a game with MMO elements.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
People seem to forget that Bungie explicitly stated that the new game is an ACTION game. Traditional MMORPGs are specifically NOT action games.
When was this confirmed? Just wondering.

Indeed.
We do not know Destiny is an MMO. I don't think Bungie would make an MMO, nor have they hinted as much.
But then why would they have signed a 10 year publishing deal with Activision over an action game?

GhaleonEB

But then why would they have signed a 10 year publishing deal with Activision over an action game?

What about that contract infers MMO? The 10-year deal was for publishing rights to the IP, not for a single game. That could comprise everything from one game built out like an MMO, or installments ala Halo over a 10-year period.

ElRenoRaven

At this point we haven't a clue. The game could be an MMOFPS kind of like the one on PS3. It could be an MMO action RPG. At the same time it could be a new FPS or action game. All we do know is that Bungie has said that the universe they are creating can support several types of games. We know that it's going to be on multiple devices.

When it comes to the publishing deal that's easy to explain. Bungie has learned from their dealings with Microsoft and by watching others that to properly support a franchise you have to think long term. You have to also have a publishing partner who you know you can depend on to support you. By signing a 10 year deal with Activision they have that security. Same with Activision. They have that security that for 10 years they're going to have some amazing games by one of the best developers in the business. So I wouldn't read too much into the publishing deal other then that we know we're in for 10 years of awesome.

I totally called it Bungie is striving for a POE MMO, I thought about it back when they talked about the world becoming more than Bungie's and how it becomes the fans:

Unless of course I'm digging too deep.

POE?

I have thought for a while that they are making some form of an MMO, but that doesn't mean that I think its going to be a Word of Warcraft clone. I think it will have MMO elements, but its core gameplay will probably be an FPS.

Of course, thats all just pure speculation.

Couple of interesting quotes from the Bungie interview outside of the one Plywood (change your avatar back to Emilia!):
In the new engine, we place even more emphasis on giving artists direct control over how the game appears, and the majority of our R&D time was spent making technology that makes artist work more efficiently while lowering the technical requirements.

It will be interesting to see if artists having a larger influence on how the game actually looks will create a stronger, more vivid art direction in the final product.

And then perhaps the last one is believable characters. That's still one of the areas where we still spend a huge amount of emphasis in animation, in the rendering of character faces and facial animation, and just characters in general, that's still one of our high emphases. In the end what we're trying to do is deliver the fidelity where it really matters to the end user.
Yum

Finally, didn't quote this, but I found it the talk about future proof for the next generation interesting, as it made me ponder the target release for Bungie's next IP. Let's assume that Bungie announces their new IP this year. I'm sure they wouldn't announce and release it in the same year, so I think that puts their new project at a 2013 release at the earliest. That begs the question, are they actually releasing this project for current gen consoles? And if so why? Unless, I'm proven otherwise, we are all but guaranteed that the new Xbox will be coming out in 2013, so if they have this massive new multiplatform IP for multiple platforms that looks to have a huge dynamic world, why not wait until the new consoles to release it instead of releasing the project in the waning hours of the current gen of consoles? Thoughts?

TheOddOne

Finally, didn't quote this, but I found it the talk about future proof for the next generation interesting, as it made me ponder the target release for Bungie's next IP. Let's assume that Bungie announces their new IP this year. I'm sure they wouldn't announce and release it in the same year, so I think that puts their new project at a 2013 release at the earliest. That begs the question, are they actually releasing this project for current gen consoles? And if so why? Unless, I'm proven otherwise, we are all but guaranteed that the new Xbox will be coming out in 2013, so if they have this massive new multiplatform IP for multiple platforms that looks to have a huge dynamic world, why not wait until the new consoles to release it instead of releasing the project in the waning hours of the current gen of consoles? Thoughts?
They way they are talking about their engine being scalable or wanting to achieve that, my guess they will release the game on current and next gen platforms.

That begs the question, are they actually releasing this project for current gen consoles? And if so why? Unless, I'm proven otherwise, we are all but guaranteed that the new Xbox will be coming out in 2013, so if they have this massive new multiplatform IP for multiple platforms that looks to have a huge dynamic world, why not wait until the new consoles to release it instead of releasing the project in the waning hours of the current gen of consoles? Thoughts?
Wii U

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Just something I made up, way back during Destiny talk when the Bungie ViDoc came out. POE = Persistent Online Experience, I just like the way POE sounds. :p
Plywood (change your avatar back to Emilia!)
I cannot.
What about that contract infers MMO? The 10-year deal was for publishing rights to the IP, not for a single game. That could comprise everything from one game built out like an MMO, or installments ala Halo over a 10-year period.
True, I still expect some persistent MP mode though.
Ah, thank you.
125 hours later...

feel

I'm seeing a picture of Tashi, I must be passed out in some random sidewalk right now dreaming that I'm browsing halogaf.

GAFing from my iPhone. Anyone else have the Shazam app? It's a music identifier like SoundHound but free. It just correctly identified Reach's main menu music. I think I can die happy now.

feel

GAFing from my iPhone. Anyone else have the Shazam app? It's a music identifier like SoundHound but free. It just correctly identified Reach's main menu music. I think I can die happy now.

On the paid version the most popular songs show the lyrics on screen in real time in perfect sync. That just blows my mind.

I hear the input lag is unbearable (via Ghaleon)

Input lag kills games for me. Thats why onlive was DOA, reach firefight sucks, uncharted 3 needed a patch, and its one of the reasons why why kinect is doomed.
The botched aiming in Uncharted 3 that required a patch for the Alternate Aim setting had nothing to do with input lag.

Hmm, was looking at this pic (it's on my desktop background rotation):

ax1aG.jpg

Is that a Marathon-class cruiser docked at the station? Never noticed that before.

Maybe at one point in development Noble-6 was going to defend the PoA over Reach?

Hmm, was looking at this pic (it's on my desktop background rotation):

ax1aG.jpg

Is that a Marathon-class cruiser docked at the station? Never noticed that before.

Maybe at one point in development Noble-6 was going to defend the PoA over Reach?
Bungie couldn't add a Death Star and so the end galaxy fight was cut out of the game.

Top Bottom