• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Sean P.

Dax01 said:
That's on his helmet, not his visor. But I see what you mean. His helmet is different - probably a part of the customization options for the campaign.

Yeah sorry I meant on his helmet over his visor, left some words out and it meant the wrong thing, apologies.

When Halo 3 screenshots were first released didn't Bungie mention something about the screenshots being from 3-4 months ago development wise? Is the same thing happening here? The environments just look so barren.

neoism

EazyB said:
Awesome Syrup - Hopeless Junior

Speaking of ex-GAFer Juices though, received this gem yesterday:

lurker.jpg

Funny thing is he's flaunting his 50 when he paid someone to boost his account to a 50. :lol Unfortunately, that'll be the last I hear from the poor fella
(until he inevitably makes another GAF account)
as I've blocked communications with him.

Juices, I know you're reading this, don't be afraid to send me more messages, just don't be dissappointed when I don't respond to them. Happy lurking, dude.
wow he was perma'd...

Ramirez

149459_screenshot_04_l.jpg

I think this pic looks pretty sweet.

Still not sure why everyone is so hung up on graphics, just give me some better AA and it could be a port of Halo 3's engine for all I care. If I played graphics I might have played Killzone 2 for more than a week.

CocoBKjojo's :lol Oh juices...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ramirez said:

Still not sure why everyone is so hung up on graphics, just give me some better AA and it could be a port of Halo 3's engine for all I care. If I played graphics I might have played Killzone 2 for more than a week.

I thought that was a sorta funny mssg.

Kibbles

Cerrius said:
It was already established since the first trailer that Reach wouldn't be anywhere near the likes of a Killzone 2 or Crysis.
I just hope they still add that nice wavy grass from the VGA Trailer. :)

Those are some of the highest res textures on a game character in this generation so I don't see what the visual issue is. As well, you can tell there are far more modeled details on the characters as opposed to normal maps.

The lighting engine is more advanced as the characters are self shadowing and to my knowledge Halo 3 only ever did that in cutscenes.

Even the environments have higher res maps on them and look like more polygons were pushed to them. Overall it is a big step up. I can hardly see a diff from the cutscene that was revealed and these shots right now.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Am I the only looking at these pics and thinking it would be wonderful to jump around on top of the scenery? Some of those rocks and buildings are screaming to be scaled. :D

gibonez

Banned
The thing that worries me the most is that we are seeing the bullshots. These are the doctored images that Bungie let the press publish.

How much uglier is the retail game going to look or do they have enough time to improve the graphics in the next 8 or so months.

So in my latest playthrough of Halo CE I reremembered(yes I can make up words just like Roger Clemens) how atmospheric the levels were. It's something that was lacking in the campaigns of the sequels. Especially Halo 3. I'm glad these early screens(like the one with the Elite and Spartan) show that some of that same feeling and look from Halo CE is back.

Also on the subject of Bungie touching up these images. If games like Gears of War 2 and Killzone 2 can look better than those screens what makes them so unbelievable?

Kibbles

Dani said:
Am I the only looking at these pics and thinking it would be wonderful to jump around on top of the scenery? Some of those rocks and buildings are screaming to be scaled. :D
Invisible Walls say no. =p

Everything in those shots looks great except the ground. Its just so bland and empty. It doesn't really seem to be fitting in with the detailed characters.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
gibonez said:
How much uglier is the retail game going to look...?

It was looking perfect six months ago, but we've been busy loosening up the visuals on level three. Know anybody that can produce natural looking escarpments?

Kibbles

Embargo ends tomorrow maybe? I'm hoping to see these at proper compression and resolution, along with a few more of the missing ones like the FP screen.

I'd really like to see some video footage of game in action. Not just because it's awesome like that, but to hear how the weapons sound now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gibonez said:
The thing that worries me the most is that we are seeing the bullshots. These are the doctored images that Bungie let the press publish.

How much uglier is the retail game going to look or do they have enough time to improve the graphics in the next 8 or so months.

u r goan b popular hear cuz u call it like it is

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kibbles said:
Embargo ends tomorrow maybe? I'm hoping to see these at proper compression and resolution, along with a few more of the missing ones like the FP screen.

I'd really like to see some video footage of game in action. Not just because it's awesome like that, but to hear how the weapons sound now.

Tomorrow would be sweet. Even sweeter would be an early Bnet update, complete with videos, 3d panoramic Quick time models, a detailed analysis of each new and modified gameplay mechanic and a confirmed Beta start date. And Edge info comes too, includes full breakdown of Reach co-op, Forge and online multiplayer modes, all taken from an interview with Urk which occurred in a dark janitor's room in hushed voices.

Beloove!

GhaleonEB

Shishka said:
"Is it a spider?"
:lol

If it's the kind of spider you can hear.....yikes. (Like mah new pet.)

A lot of the poses of the characters look more expressive than the Halo 3 shots. Looking forward to seeing the mo-cap stuff in action.

I'm surprised the ninjas haven't found the EB servers yet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dani said:
Tomorrow would be sweet. Even sweeter would be an early Bnet update, complete with videos, 3d panoramic Quick time models, a detailed analysis of each new and modified gameplay mechanic and a confirmed Beta start date. And Edge info comes too, includes full breakdown of Reach co-op, Forge and online multiplayer modes, all taken from an interview with Urk which occurred in a dark janitor's room in hushed voices.

Beloove!

All those people who told you to believe in the power of your dreams were totally steering you wrong.

I'll wait to see this thing in motion, and hear the details on whats changed from the Halo 3 formula.

Screenshots don't mean all that much at this point.

The more I look at these pictures the more I can appreciate the finer details. The Spartans look really really great. I love the lighting and who it interacts with the armor. I love the design changes of the guns showed so far. They seem a lot more intimidating. That AR looks sexy.

149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg

I like this picture. There is a lot to see going on in it, but most noteworthy is everything looks really nice. Nothing looks too 'flat'. There seems to be some really nice texture detail in every little thing.

Also I notice the Jackal looks like its true to its Halo 3 variant. Would like to see some close ups.

vhfive

two things
1. that juices message is hilarious
2. i hate all the new juniors for causing so many 500 errors today

i guess the screens are cool too

Trasher

Ramirez said:

I think the LW looks friggin fat in this picture.

So, we always see Jorge using the gigantic ass machine gun. How will that work for aiming? Will it actually have sights or will you go into 3rd person when using that thing?

Also, I think the graphics look pretty much the same as Halo 3 so far. Maybe a slight improvement, but not that much. Luckily, I don't really care much about graphics in a game.

EazyB

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

For some reason I really get a kick out of the pose the Elite is in. He's like, huh? What's that sound?
Putting aside the flamboyant kill animation I really love that shot. Looks like it could've been grabbed directly from T&R. I can almost picture the exact cliff edge and elite that shot would've been taken from. The dude's even got a sniper, just give me a huge covie ship in the sky and I'll forgive Bungie for throwing us into more boring human environments.

Really not digging the Skirmishers though, especially after getting a closer look. There's possibly the worst designed thing to ever come out of Bungie. Orbital included. Not feeling the name either, there's gotta be something shorter and cooler to call them. What do the folks at Bungie call them?

bigskirmishers.jpg

Trasher

EazyB said:
Putting aside the flamboyant kill animation I really love that shot. Looks like it could've been grabbed directly from T&R. I can almost picture the exact cliff edge and elite that shot would've been taken from. The dude's even got a sniper, just give me a huge covie ship in the sky and I'll forgive Bungie for throwing us into more boring human environments.

Really not digging the Skirmishers though, especially after getting a closer look. There's possibly the worst designed thing to ever come out of Bungie. Orbital included. Not feeling the name either, there's gotta be something shorter and cooler to call them. What do the folks at Bungie call them?
2160_JurassicPark.jpg

feel

Oh you crazy breazy :lol :lol

This is one is so beautiful, I'm going to quote it for the 16th time this page:
149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

drools

Love you Bungie. Bring it home.

Why For?

Banned
I figured out why people don't think this looks that good.

Not enough post processing filters, blur and vaseline.

People don't want 'clean' anymore. They like the 'real' look that only blur/vaseline can deliver.

big ander

EazyB said:

bigskirmishers.jpg
:lol :lol Photoshop Snuffleupagus onto Jorge

dorkimoe

i dont know why im so dissapointed. I mean i like halo, but i was really hoping to see something different. Im afraid the HUD and all the exact same guns are gonna be in it. its gonna be another expansion.

I really hope it isnt, i want something NEW

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I think they look awesome TBH.
I realize they're trying to go for a ferocious raptor looking thing:
dromaeosaurus.jpg

But those look dumb enough as it is. Then they go and add red necks making them look like oversized roosters...

If they make this sound when I headshot them all will be forgiven.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Questions

eh.png

This looks like some kind of weapon discharge...? Orange? Maybe it's light reflecting from somewhere else? What exactly is this? Maybe I just can't see it right.

eh2.png

Will all Skirmishers have a second head pop out from their groin areas? If so, these guys could be a lot more frightening than the flood. =P

striKeVillain! said:
Any word on if this is going to be 60 fps?
120 fps, actually.

dorkimoe said:
i dont know why im so dissapointed. I mean i like halo, but i was really hoping to see something different. Im afraid the HUD and all the exact same guns are gonna be in it. its gonna be another expansion.

I don't know. Most of the shit in those screen-shots looks new to me.

-Yeti said:
149459_screenshot_02_l.jpg

Why do the outlines of his armor have some sort of glow effect as if there is some other source of light below and in front of him? I notice that this effect is also in Gears of War and I don't think it looks that great..
Rim lighting.

149459_screenshot_02_l.jpg

Why do the outlines of his armor have some sort of glow effect as if there is some other source of light below and in front of him? I notice that this effect is also in Gears of War and I don't think it looks that great.

Other than that, everything looks pretty awesome. Definitely an improvement over Halo 3.

Oh, and the Skirmishers remind me of the giant birds in the Power Rangers movie. EDIT: But I guess that's not just me. Ha ha :lol

chapel

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Just for clarification, I do *not* have a crush on anybody here :p (referring to this)

oh gosh :3
Why am I not listed? I know I don't post a lot. Doesn't mean I don't read almost everything and play here and there. You have random juniors on there, and not lil ol' me?

Though I doubt anything good will come out of this.

BTW I am not really a junior, check my join date. I just posted the most epic thread ever, which I will unfortunately never repeat, not that I could anyways.

Kibbles

EazyB said:
Same. Quick hack-job in photoshop doesn't really show that, but just for funsiez.

152zyvl.jpg

Dani said:

Aside from the character models, this is not good at all.

This is most excellent.

Which about describes how Halo 3 looked: at one point full of awesome, at another filled with drab texture work. Which a better engine doesn't necessarily fix.

Small sample notwithstanding of course. And who am I kidding, I love the gameplay too much not to pick it up, even if it was polygonal battle zone-style.

big ander

dorkimoe said:

If you want to play a different game, PLAY A DIFFERENT GAME. Of course a Halo game is going to have versions of the same weapons and HUDs and soldiers.
I hate people arguing that games in a series need to radically change from entry to entry. If you like the game already, you should just want it to create an experience that makes you feel the same way you did when you first played the game. I'd rather have an awesome experience, even if it's slightly familiar.

Apath

The screen shots don't look like a big improvement over Halo 3 outside of the lack of aliasing -- but we already know that Bungie's screen capturing methods remove all aliasing so it's kinda moot anyways. Thankfully I play Halo for the game play and not t3h graffix, so I'm pretty optimistic about the direction they're taking it so far.

Top Bottom