• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Nutter

Pennybags said:
I miss how the Combat Evolved plasma pistol could actually, you know, kill someone.
You can still "kill" someone with it in Halo 3, it just takes a shit ton of shots to do so.

vhfive

well fuck me more juniors and i haven't even started liking the last batch.

pro tips dont post too much and dont have annoying avatars.

Pennybags

NullPointer said:
None of these suggestions need to alter the actual mechanics themselves, or change the underlying numbers. This is purely for effect, for feedback, and selling the illusion.

I agree entirely. In ODST, the grunting and in-character dialogue, as well as the audio feedback given while in critical condition went a LONG way towards the experience. (The low-health beep's activation point should have been furthered some, I think. The red filter was a tad annoying as well, but it helped create a since of urgency)

Nutter said:
You can still "kill" someone with it in Halo 3, it just takes a shit ton of shots to do so.
My point exactly. :D

Arnie said:
Spiker.

vhfive said:

Or do anything else that is unwarranted and annoying.

~BAGEL, fuck yeah! I'm so great I put my name at the bottom despite it being right next to my post~

Tips noted. I will be lurking around this thread over all others on gaf, so here's to getting to know all you other halo crazed fans (pretends to down a highly alcoholic beverage in one swift gulp).

big ander

Arnie said:
[not a spoiler]ARvBR?[/spoiler]
Sentinel beam is the only right answer.

Merguson said:
Required Reading for Junior Members.

One member once posted.

"Required reading. Very important stuff that Merguson wrote."
That essay is no joke. All HaloGAF member are expected to be able to recite it on command.

Blueblur1

vhfive said:

Quoted for truth.

Welcome juniors. Please behave yourselves and don't end every post with an annoying "signature," please.

I think that, for once, I have no links to anyone in the new batch of juniors.

The GI article just came for me, great stuff. The game sounds like what I was hoping for out of Halo 3, so this is off to a good start. Main thing that really pleases me is all the improvements discussed on animations.

big ander said:
Sentinel beam is the only right answer.
emblemashx.jpg

ZZMitch

Did a new wave a juniors get accepted today or something?

If so welcome one, welcome all!
Don't listen to anything AniHawk ever says ever

EazyB

Banned
vhfive said:
:lol

Get back from classes expecting to find new Reach info and all we get is some juniors :(

And, uh, welcome. Here on NeoGAF we post in between long stretches of 500 errors.

Blueblur1 said:
Quoted for truth.

Welcome juniors. Please behave yourselves and don't end every post with an annoying "signature," please.

I think that, for once, I have no links to anyone in the new batch of juniors.

Yes. Please do not do this. PEACE.

Fucking hate that guy.

vhfive said:

Nice to see the welcome mat for juniors - usually they get spat on. Looking forward to new insights.

Also quoted for truth and adding one more:

Don't sign your own posts. (i.e. ~M.W.)

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Letters said:
I'm totally expecting a new and updated Halogaf member list (ranked best to worst) from you by next week.

I gotta start playing with you guys a little longer then, improve my status a little bit.

Was happy to see that Halogaf is better than I would say 90 percent of the people I play against in matchmaking.

Consistantly go +10 or better in matchmaking but in customs against Halogaf best I was going was like -2. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone hear about this leak about Reach that there will be challenges and weapon unlocks like in CoD? Some kids on JTV were saying this and acting like it was confirmed by Bungie or some shit just cuz it was posted on the Bnet forums. I checked here immediately because if anyone knew about this it would be HaloGAF. I asked some kid to link me to where he read it and he links me to a Bnet thread where some guy just makes a suggestion about what Halo: Reach should be. It smells like total bullshit and it doesn't appear anyone knows anything here so...why does this post exist? :lol :lol

Tashi0106 said:
Anyone hear about this leak about Reach that there will be challenges and weapon unlocks like in CoD? Some kids on JTV were saying this and acting like it was confirmed by Bungie or some shit just cuz it was posted on the Bnet forums. I checked here immediately because if anyone knew about this it would be HaloGAF. I asked some kid to link me to where he read it and he links me to a Bnet thread where some guy just makes a suggestion about what Halo: Reach should be. It smells like total bullshit and it doesn't appear anyone knows anything here so...why does this post exist? :lol :lol
Most leaked info isn't allowed to be posted on bungie.net, and if it is, it's locked immediately.

To me, it sounds like speculation (though I hope it to be true). A case of he said she said.

big ander

Tashi0106 said:
Reach will have down-sight aiming and custom weapon classes Confirmed
by big ander™

Blueblur1

Ajemsuhgao said:
Yes. Please do not do this. PEACE.

Fucking hate that guy.
You're referring to the guy in the OT that ends every post with PEACE, right? He lives right here in Miami. I should do NeoGAF a favor by finding him and punching him in his face. :lol

Blueblur1 said:
You're referring to the guy in the OT that ends every post with PEACE, right? He lives right here in Miami. I should do NeoGAF a favor by finding him and punching him in his face. :lol
~B.B ring any bells?
I don't really mind it either way, it just seems silly.

ToyMachine228 said:
Stopped at GameStop to get the Reach GI today after the gym only to discover...I left my wallet at home. Bungled.
Fixed :D

dyergram

ZZMitch said:
Still no Edge info? Did all the trucks carrying the magazines to subscribers fall off the face of the Earth or something?

I got a Edge subscription for Xmas and the letter said my first mag would be issued on or before the 19th. Not sure whether the bad weather we had last week slowed things down...

big ander

ToyMachine228 said:
Stopped at GameStop to get the Reach GI today after the gym only to discover...I left my wallet at home. Bung0wned.
Ooh, that sucks. I've been meaning to pick up the Reach GI (want a better look at the pictures) but I've been too lazy to stop by Gamestop.
Too lazy to read a magazine about video games. I've hit a new low. :lol

feel

@EazyB/ booooooooo, can't you just take like a month then?

@Not a Jellyfish/ so you're Meani Pants! I was wondering who that was, and I'm the same, on gaf customs I do much worse than on matchmaking... these guys are good.

@Tashi0106/ :lol loving these type of posts from you

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey juniors, I was in the last batch. Top tip for adjusting in? Like whatever gun you want and be proud. The AR is the best gun in the game! See? Works fine.

Roche178 said:
Squidhands! I had no idea you were a member here, I just got approved today.
I'm really craving the Edge news I will be looking for a copy of the magazine when it hits stores not sure if they sell it in Ireland though.
lol, it's a small Haloworld, isn't it? Welcome to GAF, dude. It will own your soul.

Roche178 said:
I'm really craving the Edge news I will be looking for a copy of the magazine when it hits stores not sure if they sell it in Ireland though.

I just got approved today aswell, Ive been waiting for ages to post on here, ive lurked through a lot :lol

When is Edge expected to hit shelves, if its literally by Friday I might just head to the shops and buy a copy rather than wait for info on the net, I assume that subscribers for that mag dont get it earlier than shelf date?

Roche178 said:
As a fellow Eire, they do, I get it in Easons each month.

Expected on shelves Thursday.

EazyB

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
As a fellow Eire, they do, I get it in Easons each month.

Expected on shelves Thursday.
If the subscribers are getting it a week (or more) late what's to say it'll hit the shelves on time?

I'm starting to think this Edge thing you guys are talking about is just another crummy dry European joke.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
enzo_gt said:
Hey juniors, I was in the last batch. Top tip for adjusting in? Like whatever gun you want and be proud. The AR is the best gun in the game! See? Works fine.

Don't hurt Ramirez. Do hurt Cocop. And you'll do fine.

EazyB said:
If the subscribers are getting it a week (or more) late what's to say it'll hit the shelves on time?

I'm starting to think this Edge thing you guys are talking about is just another crummy dry European joke.
It is a little odd.
Trawled their forum and there's very little mention/vocal anticipation of 211 (the Reach issue). Last post about it was in their big Halo thread on the 7th of January.
Edge is part of my move back to college on Thursday, do hope it's there..

dyergram said:
I got a Edge subscription for Xmas and the letter said my first mag would be issued on or before the 19th. Not sure whether the bad weather we had last week slowed things down...
That is a fast subscription turnaround time - most take 6-8 weeks to be put into the system, less get an issue. For Men's Health it took me nearly 2.5 months to get my first issue.

Also, your avatar is 301kb - max size allowed is 120kb. Might want to change it before your avatar privileges are revoked.

feel

Major Williams said:
max size allowed is 120kb.
WHAT?? I've been making 149kb avatars for lots of people! Oh shit guys...

edit- just checked in the faqs, the max size is indeed 150kb.

Thermite said:
Max size is 150kb.
My bad - I used the number pad and pressed the 2 accidentally.

On to Halo news:

So this guy (article title: "Is Bungie reaching with Halo Reach?") 'challenged' Bungie to prove him wrong that Reach was going to be disappointing.

Summarized, here are his points (his opinion in parenthesis):

- No squad controls for AI squadmates (wants Ghost Recon)
- No third person shooter (would it kill Bungie to try it?)
- A regression in backstory that Elites are scary and don't speak English ("Elitinese" regresses the stortelling)
- Retread all other Halo games - new additions aren't groundbreaking (equivalent of Madden football updating it's roster on a yearly basis)

Hey, I've been a lurker here for a while. Just got approved today, so to show that I actually know something I've made a list of what I learned about HaloGAF while lurking.

1. People make fun of Dax, I have yet to determine why.

2. AR vs. BR keeps this thread going.

3. Tashi is REALLY good at Halo.

4. That one guy in the Waypoint videos posts here.

5. Juices loves Shiska.

6. Oh yeah, and when there is no new news another round of AR vs. BR will always get things going.

Seriously though, I like what I've seen here and plan on sticking around for a while.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
149459_screenshot_01_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_02_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_03_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_04_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_05_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_06_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_07_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_08_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_010_l.jpg

149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

Major Williams said:
My bad - I used the number pad and pressed the 2 accidentally.

On to Halo news:

So this guy (article title: "Is Bungie reaching with Halo Reach?") 'challenged' Bungie to prove him wrong that Reach was going to be disappointing.

Summarized, here are his points (his opinion in parenthesis):

- No squad controls for AI squadmates (wants Ghost Recon)
- No third person shooter (would it kill Bungie to try it?)
- A regression in backstory that Elites are scary and don't speak English ("Elitinese" regresses the stortelling)
- Retread all other Halo games - new additions aren't groundbreaking (equivalent of Madden football updating it's roster on a yearly basis)

Seriously not Halo news, at all. Just some random idiot banging his head against his keyboard repeatedly until some forms of sentence strings leak out

Fuckbox said:
Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the Halo franchise has not moved a step towards innovation since its debut in 2001..

:lol C'mon, how can you take this seriously?

I was going to make a half hearted attempt at a serious reply, but if someone can't be arsed to make a serious attempt to try to be intelligent, they aren't worth the effort.

Or the extra hits you are giving his website by linking to that shitty article.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Hey, I've been a lurker here for a while. Just got approved today, so to show that I actually know something I've made a list of what I learned about HaloGAF while lurking.

1. People make fun of Dax, I have yet to determine why.

He set the bar for juniors being a junior and those of us that came before refuse to let him live it down. :p Once again head the warnings.

Top Bottom