• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

big ander

Major Williams said:
My bad - I used the number pad and pressed the 2 accidentally.

On to Halo news:

So this guy (article title: "Is Bungie reaching with Halo Reach?") 'challenged' Bungie to prove him wrong that Reach was going to be disappointing.

Summarized, here are his points (his opinion in parenthesis):

- No squad controls for AI squadmates (wants Ghost Recon)
- No third person shooter (would it kill Bungie to try it?)
- A regression in backstory that Elites are scary and don't speak English ("Elitinese" regresses the stortelling)
- Retread all other Halo games - new additions aren't groundbreaking (equivalent of Madden football updating it's roster on a yearly basis)

Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the Halo franchise has not moved a step towards innovation since its debut in 2001.
Halo 2+Xbox Live say hi. So do saved films in Halo 3. Same with every other change in the franchise, whether it be minute or huge, over the past 9 years.
Jorge-052 who will trim your hedges
Don't see how that's appropriate.
Reading a paragraph now about how Reach doesn't look promising because it's not third person or squad-based...because a game has to be those things to be original.
How is Elites not having the character development they got in Halo 2 a regression when it's a prequel :lol ?
Namely, new gun types, new "super abilities" for Spartans, and the tech of the game being able to support 40-man firefights. However, those additions, or tweaks, aren't groundbreaking, they're merely the equivalent of a Madden football title updating it's roster on a yearly basis.
Yeah, this guy is just trolling.

EDIT:
4. That one guy in the Waypoint videos posts here.
Do you mean Cocop, Voc, Frankie, or Six Okay? :p

EazyB

Banned
AwesomeSyrup said:
Hey, I've been a lurker here for a while. Just got approved today, so to show that I actually know something I've made a list of what I learned about HaloGAF while lurking.

1. People make fun of Dax, I have yet to determine why.
Awesome Syrup - Hopeless Junior

Speaking of ex-GAFer Juices though, received this gem yesterday:

lurker.jpg

Funny thing is he's flaunting his 50 when he paid someone to boost his account to a 50. :lol Unfortunately, that'll be the last I hear from the poor fella
(until he inevitably makes another GAF account)
as I've blocked communications with him.

Juices, I know you're reading this, don't be afraid to send me more messages, just don't be dissappointed when I don't respond to them. Happy lurking, dude.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Hey, I've been a lurker here for a while. Just got approved today, so to show that I actually know something I've made a list of what I learned about HaloGAF while lurking.
Welcome!

Though those screens are the same found in the GameInformer article, it's nice to see them in better resolution.

Needler rifle looks kind of ridiculous there like a Carbine and Needler were overlayed and some said - "perfect!".
Human environments... hurm, we'll see how that turns out.

Sai-kun said:
Just for clarification, I do *not* have a crush on anybody here :p (referring to this)

oh gosh :3
Someone's defensive :p

I don't remember it being mentioned in the Game Informer article but I hope since there are 6 Spartans there is 6 player co-op. It seems like I've always got one friend who has to sit out co-op runs because of the 4 player limit.

tonitoni

Dani said:

WOW the new AR looks really nice in this pics.

Is that a elite in the 7th?
¡ǝʞıl ʞool noʎ ʍoɥ ʍouʞ oʇ ʇuɐʍ ı ¡ɟlǝsɹnoʎ ʍoɥs

big ander

Those screens...:D
tonitoni said:
WOW the new AR looks really nice in this pics.

Is that a elite in the 7th?
¡ǝʞı1 ʞoo1 noʎ ʍoɥ ʍouʞ oʇ ʇuɐʍ ı ¡ɟ1ǝsɹnoʎ ʍoɥs
what the

dyergram

Major Williams said:
That is a fast subscription turnaround time - most take 6-8 weeks to be put into the system, less get an issue. For Men's Health it took me nearly 2.5 months to get my first issue.

Also, your avatar is 301kb - max size allowed is 120kb. Might want to change it before your avatar privileges are revoked.

Thanks dude noted and changed.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't think EBGames were suppose to put up these images just yet, especially with Edge not even being in subscriber's hands yet.

Looks like the leaks on the Halo ship won't be totally fixed in future.

I hope we get the First Person image from Game Informer in higher res. Even with a higher res pixellated secret thingie.

itsgreen

Those screens dont look very hot to me.

They look kind of outdated.

The Tom Morello cellphone cam pics looked like they had way more potential than these screens.

This doesnt feel like a huge improvement over Halo 3 or ODST.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Don't worry, that minigun Jorge is carrying shits out enough bullets to make up for only having 3 ARs.

And yeah, Kibbles, the quality of those screens are questionable. Some of the shots looks impressive with lighting that adds a ton of depth and others look flat and unimpressive.

big ander

Dani said:
http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_04_l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Kibbles][IMG]http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=EazyB][IMG]http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_010_l.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://media.ebgames.com.au/images/screenshots/149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Seriously, damn. The character models look very good, and the environments looks awesome.
[QUOTE=itsgreen]Those screens dont look very hot to me.

[B]They look kind of outdated.

The Tom Morello cellphone cam pics looked like they had way more potential than these screens.[/B]

This doesnt feel like a huge improvement over Halo 3 or ODST.[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol alright man, to each his own, I guess.

[QUOTE=tonitoni][URL="http://www.revfad.com/flip.html"]ɥɐɥɐɥɐɥɐɥɐ ʍou ǝƃɐnƃuɐl uʍo ɹno ʞɐǝds sǝʇılǝ ǝʍ[/URL][/QUOTE]
I figured there was a site or something, I just don't see the point, sorry.

EDIT: Worked oonsk into my avatar.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
kylej said:
Looks exactly like Halo 3 to me.

I disagree. These screenshots look loads better than Halo 3. No jaggies, detailed textures, environments, character models, etc. etc.

But keeping perspective is important.

Bungie (and Microsoft) have a spotty record when it comes to honestly representing their games' visuals in pre-release screenshots and video. So who knows how many "post processing" "touch up" effects these screens have applied on them. (ala the Halo 3 screenshot tool)

Sean P.

Cerrius said:
I disagree. These screenshots look loads better than Halo 3. No jaggies, detailed textures, environments etc. etc.

Bungie (and Microsoft) have a spotty record when it comes to honestly representing their games' visuals in pre-release screenshots and video. So who knows how many "post processing" "touch up" effects these screens have applied on them. (ala the Halo 3 screenshot tool)

Bungie ALWAYS captures press shots super high res and then shrinks them so their are no visible jaggies, and these shots are pretty low-res anyways, so I'd hold that thought.

Just comparing some pre-alpha shots of Halo: Reach and Halo 3.

aZYLV.jpg

omg6P.jpg

Not the best but they show the detail in the armor and how much more they have added.

Is it only me or is anyone else REALLY bothered by the elites proportions? He looks like a cartoon :[

kylej

Banned
Cerrius said:
I disagree. These screenshots look loads better than Halo 3. No jaggies, detailed textures, environments, character models, etc. etc.

149459_screenshot_08_l.jpg

Those tires look like they're made out of plastic. The ground looks like something out of Banjo-Tooie. I know there's a long way to go but right now those shots don't look anywhere near as good as I expected them to be. HL2 Episode 2 looks better than that and it came out 2 years ago.

I mean if we're going to get that type of fidelity again then Reach damn well better run at a rock solid 60fps. Slightly chunkier character models should not bring Bungie's engine to its knees.

neoism

AwesomeSyrup said:

1. People make fun of Dax, I have yet to determine why.

2. AR vs. BR keeps this thread going.

3. Tashi is REALLY good at Halo.

4. That one guy in the Waypoint videos posts here.

5. Juices loves Shiska.

6. Oh yeah, and when there is no new news another round of AR vs. BR will always get things going.

Seriously though, I like what I've seen here and plan on sticking around for a while.
yeah sounds about right... welcome!

OverHeat

« generous god »
kylej said:
149459_screenshot_08_l.jpg

Those tires look like they're made out of plastic. The ground looks like something out of Banjo-Tooie. I know there's a long way to go but right now those shots don't look anywhere near as good as I expected them to be. HL2 Episode 2 looks better than that and it came out 2 years ago.

I mean if we're going to get that type of fidelity again then Reach damn well better run at a rock solid 60fps. Slightly chunkier character models should not bring Bungie's engine to its knees.

Maybe just maybe the 360 just cannot do better. Bungie did wonder on xbox. So there is no reason that they do not push the 360.

GhaleonEB

Sean P. said:
Bungie ALWAYS captures press shots super high res and then shrinks them so their are no visible jaggies, and these shots are pretty low-res anyways, so I'd hold that thought.

Just comparing some pre-alpha shots of Halo: Reach and Halo 3.

aZYLV.jpg

omg6P.jpg

Not the best but they show the detail in the armor and how much more they have added.

Is it only me or is anyone else REALLY bothered by the elites proportions? He looks like a cartoon :[
Nice. Modeling and lighting do seem to be a big step up. What we can't tell is the bump in other areas, such as AA, so we'll need video and/or other impressions for those.

Loving the look of the new AR and the design of the environments. Some of the daytime outdoor shots don't look like a big leap from Halo 3, but the lighting is clearly better.

Thanks, EB Games. Hope everyone is saving these down. :D :lol

gibonez

Banned
OverHeat said:
Maybe just maybe the 360 just cannot do better. Bungie did wonder on xbox. So there is no reason that they do not push the 360.

That's the thing we have seen much better on multiplatform games, there is no excuse. :/ I'm pretty disappointed if the final game looks anything like these shots then delay this crap and make a new game engine because this is just not gonna cut it.

Kibbles

I hope they tone down the shield popping effect on that elite...
Dax01 said:
He's missing whatever is on his helmet in that pic. Look at the other pics and compare.

EB has yet to deliver this screen. I am disappoint.
dma6f6.jpg

Sean P. said:
He usually has a piece over his visor, compare it to the other screenshots
That's on his helmet, not his visor. But I see what you mean. His helmet is different - probably a part of the customization options for the campaign.

Well since a bunch of other new guys are showing up I guess I should also.

I have been a long time lurker here, from pre-Halo 3. It has always been fun to watch stuff develop from Halo 3 and ODST so Im glad I can join in on the fun with Reach. I have played with some of you online, which has been a blast so far.

Anyways. Reach. I was all ready to boo-hoo about no Edge news and then Poof! Reach pictures! So most of us have seen these in GI but still. Very pretty. I will admit some of them aren't wow worthy, but some aspects look really nice. I really like the detail in the character models. That was something lacking in halo 3 IMO. The lighting should be really nice judging by the pictures and what GI said.

As for the pics and what I dont like? At this point its hard to say how many details are put in place, but I feel the ground is very flat in look and structure. Some more grace and other objects here and there should spruce it up. Also transition from ground to rock is very sharp and doesnt look super natural. Not trying to nitpick, just saying my opinion.

That said...I really like what I see. I like that I see multiple grunt variants, etc. I am really excited to see what else we may see or learn here.

GhaleonEB

Lots of interesting stuff in those screens, but seeing very rocky/grassy/indoors human environments isn't especially exciting.

Lots of rock, grass, and concrete on display.

itsgreen

Cerrius said:

They do look better than Halo 3, I must confess. Especially character models. When viewed side-by-side.

But I got the feeling the rest of the games (industry) improved more since Halo 3.

The surroundings in the pics dont look very nice. Especially when you compare it to other games. They look really dated, clean but messy, in my opinion...

I know Halo is all about scale but still.

My expectations for this game were that it was the definitive Halo on 360 experience. A new bar to compare all others to. It feels like they kind of maxed out 1.5 years ago, and that is not good at all for MS.

But I might look stupid as fuck for saying this in 8 months time, so who knows.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
voltron said:
Looks like high-res Halo 3. Thats fine with me.

It looks much better than Halo 3 and that's all anyone should have expected. I'm baffled as to how others are disappointed.

What exactly were their expectations? It was already established since the first trailer that Reach wouldn't be anywhere near the likes of a Killzone 2 or Crysis.

Top Bottom