• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:
smh

And euphoria can't be taken seriously in any videogame it's ever been implemented in. :lol

:lol :lol

Although the gravity hammer would probably be the main beneficiary from the use of Euphoria.

Replacing the above comic with the mental image of brutes recreating it is rather soul destroying.

dilatedmuscle said:
What do you mean by pre update? did they change the body flying at one point or you want the same flying body from 3 for reach?

You know, before the patch when you would melee someone and they'd fly across the map.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
dilatedmuscle said:
What do you mean by pre update? did they change the body flying at one point or you want the same flying body from 3 for reach?

Before the first major update, if you killed with a melee you had a strong chance of sending your opponent flying, literally. It was a glitch in the physics but it was a fun glitch, especially playing a match and seeing a Spartan shoot straight into the air, Superman style, with occasionally funny disjointed limbs flailing.

It also fixed other melee issues.

Olivero

Whoo boy. Here we go. The lighting looks fantastic. Ground/grass textures, not so much. (Yes, I know, still in development, etc.) My question is, will Reach be the same as Halo 3 in that the multiplayer graphics vs. campaign graphics are downgraded? If so, I am sad face. :(
Also, please 60 fps. You may not be able to tell a difference, but I can. I miss the Halo 2 multiplayer feel of quickness. C'mon, bring it back.

Gui_PT

Hai guys. Wut's going on?

Any news besides those awesome screenshots with Big Bird and the head crotches?

I'm off to my last exam. Wish me luck!
so i don't get caught cheating

EazyB

Banned
MCD said:
looks very bad.

it's tough being an xbot nowadays.
Thanks for dropping by dude.

abacab driver said:
I love how the only FPS that gets 'criticized' on GAF for having flat ground textures is Halo.

I don't think I've (personally) seen it in any other thread..Killzone, COD, Resistance, Half Life..hell, not even Haze threads--all games that at some point have some fugly ground (and other) texture work if you would choose to stop playing the game and care about it for some reason.

I can't believe people are really playing this up to be a detrimental 'fault' with how Reach looks.
This isn't even an issue in driving games, yet Halo somehow needs actual geometric grass sticking out of the floor in order for it to look like the ground. :lol
Yeah, I don't get it. I've never had a problem with Halo 3's ground being too flat, I mean the poor AF made the textures muddy at a distance but that's another story. Almost all shooters have pretty "flat" grounds, sure some throw a shitton of rubble (which I'd rather avoid) and Far Cry 2 had pretty good tall grass but it's an exception.

Olivero said:
Whoo boy. Here we go. The lighting looks fantastic. Ground/grass textures, not so much. (Yes, I know, still in development, etc.) My question is, will Reach be the same as Halo 3 in that the multiplayer graphics vs. campaign graphics are downgraded? If so, I am sad face. :(
Also, please 60 fps. You may not be able to tell a difference, but I can. I miss the Halo 2 multiplayer feel of quickness. C'mon, bring it back.
i don't think halo 2 was 60fps

edit: unless that's not what you really mean as in "quickness"

I love how the only FPS that gets 'criticized' on GAF for having flat ground textures is Halo.

I don't think I've (personally) seen it in any other thread..Killzone, COD, Resistance, Half Life..hell, not even Haze threads--all games that at some point have some fugly ground (and other) texture work if you would choose to stop playing the game and care about it for some reason.

I can't believe people are really playing this up to be a detrimental 'fault' with how Reach looks.
This isn't even an issue in driving games, yet Halo somehow needs actual geometric grass sticking out of the floor in order for it to look like the ground. :lol

Olivero

It isn't. Halo 2 simply felt faster to me. After swapping between various shooters recently, I've concluded that 60 fps feels faster to me, so hopefully a 60 fps Reach will feel fast again.

I probably just sound stupid right now, but whatever. :lol :lol

EDIT: sorry, I meant to hit the quote button, but didn't.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Truant said:
I'm only talking about the graphics. I actually somewhat enjoyed Halo 3 on a gameplay level, especially compared to MW2.

I just don't understand why it looks like it does. You berzerkers keep saying 'the features, the lighting, the ai!' but please, give me a technical explanation of what makes everything in this game so complex that they can't have graphics at least resembling other major action games, and I'll shut the fuck up. Seriously.
Scale, number of actors per scene, AI, etc. There is nothing wrong with the technical aspect of the Halo engine, it just focuses on different elements that favor gameplay. For example, Halo doesn't use heavily scripted scenes the way other FPS do ( http://www.bungie.net/images/Inside/publications/presentations/betterbattle.zip ) It is a huge plus when it comes to replay value, but it takes its toll in processing power. However, at this point I am starting to believe the art team at Bungie isn't all that great, specially after the Skirmisher was revealed. I need to see more to judge, but the art in Halo 3 was hit and miss. Some areas looked amazing and showed how amazing was the engine, while others were sterile and very unpolished.

PS: Also, you will have a better time, ignoring all coments that elaborate on blind praise of the graphics. Obviously there is not much we can gather out of these highly compresed, low resolution shots. I don't see what the fuck people are seeing, I wish I could have some of what they are smoking.

NOKYARD

4289601035_4909f76b82_b.jpg

Teaser of a new map for HaloGAF customs.

I would provide the link but i am giving the RvB guys first crack at it for their Halo 3 playdate in support of Bungie's Be a Hero! Haiti relief effort Wednesday night.

After that it's all yours. (more pics)

Nutter

Olivero said:
It isn't. Halo 2 simply felt faster to me. After swapping between various shooters recently, I've concluded that 60 fps feels faster to me, so hopefully a 60 fps Reach will feel fast again.

I probably just sound stupid right now, but whatever. :lol :lol

EDIT: sorry, I meant to hit the quote button, but didn't.
No Halo (1,2,3,ODST) is 60fps. So uhm yeah. But you are right Halo 2 "Felt" faster, though it really isnt [at least movement wise] weapon ready wise yes, Halo 2 was much quicker.

Kujo

Hmm, I do miss the colourful Halo that was absent with ODST. Hope it's just these levels that are a bit monotone.

Olivero

Before I get to bed, I wanted to add in that I cannot wait to return to some Halo multiplayer. Graphics are one thing, solid game play is another. I nitpick graphics because I can. Something I can't nitpick is the gameplay. It is simply too good.

I can't wait for a spawning system that actually works. (I'm looking at you, MW2)
I can't wait for a balanced game. (I'm looking at you, Gears 2)
I CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME GOOD CUSTOMS GAMES!

No one delivers on the level of multiplayer goodness that Bungie does. No one.

Apath

NOKYARD said:

I would provide the link but i am giving the RvB guys first crack at it for their Halo 3 playdate in support of Bungie's Be a Hero! Haiti relief effort Wednesday night.

That looks amazing. I can't believe what people can do with the forge editor. I struggle to make something even remotely playable.

Speaking of which, I really hope Bungie adds some sort of snapping/align feature to Reach -- assuming they use the same system they have in place.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NOKYARD said:

Woah! That's some serious work dude, it looks great. My only advice?
Get some sleep, you could not have slept for days in making that. =P

NOKYARD

Kenak said:
I really hope Bungie adds some sort of snapping/align feature to Reach
It kind of does already. You just have to know how to make use of it. If you look close you can see it used extensively on this map.

Gui_PT said:
You make the most gorgeous maps.

I love that last GAF Hallway map you made :D
Thank you. This is HaloGAF Hallway's Conquest cousin. But don't let the open layout fool you. It plays like you are in a cave due to it being placed against the upper and outer invisi-barriers.

Dani said:
My only advice?
Get some sleep, you could not have slept for days in making that. =P
Disengage!

Gui_PT said:
Btw Bagel and Dani, I just had an idea. We should definitely try Team Dax in a Hallway map. :lol

Which one? The MM Team Dax or the fun version?

If the latter, absolutely... yes, yes and yes.

Also, YAY! More Nokyard GAF maps. The only thing I can't stand about them is how badly I play because I'm too busy admiring the perfection.

Gui_PT

DiabolicalBagel said:
Which one? The MM Team Dax or the fun version?

If the latter, absolutely... yes, yes and yes.

Also, YAY! More Nokyard GAF maps. The only thing I can't stand about them is how badly I play because I'm too busy admiring the perfection.

Fun version, of course.

I also hate something about Nokyard's maps. It's when some jerk camps in that little cover in the middle of the hallway and just throws grenades all the time while teaming up with the other guy against Bagel.

Gui_PT said:
Fun version, of course.

I also hate something about Nokyard's maps. It's when some jerk camps in that little cover in the middle of the hallway and just throws grenades all the time while teaming up with the other guy against Bagel.
:lol :lol

I hate that middle cover so much. Also, when I'm in charge there are no nades. :D
I can just hang back and blow some faces off. Someone keeps telling me that it's assault or flag or summin', not just slayer. Pffft, what an idiot... it's obviously a slayer game.

Edit: I keep missing these customs! Such an inconvenient time, need moar coffee tonight.

Falt

I'll take those screens with a pinch of salt for the moment, a work in progress I presume (and hope). Liking the character models though.

Any official plans for tonight? Eurogaf, looking at you.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Edge news?
Falt said:
I'll take those screens with a pinch of salt for the moment, a work in progress I presume (and hope). Liking the character models though.

What screens?

Falt said:

I'm up for some customs, Dani will definitely be up for it and I assume Gui will be as well.
Four to get us started. :)
Then Ander will join and it will no longer be Euros. :p
I'm hoping to see large numbers tonight, make me proud random people from the internet!

Bungie has shot themselves in the foot here, because those screenshots for the most part (some lighting tricks and the the detail of character models aside, and the former is more obvious in the nighttime shots) look like Halo 3 screenshots. But Halo 3 screenshots were (and are) woefully deceptive, and maybe Halo: Reach actually looks like Halo 3 does in screenshots?

Remains to be seen.

Gui_PT

DiabolicalBagel said:
I'm up for some customs, Dani will definitely be up for it and I assume Gui will be as well.
Four to get us started. :)
Then Ander will join and it will no longer be Euros. :p
I'm wanting to see big numbers tonight, make me proud random people from the internet!

I'm up for Customs tonight. 4 of us is more than we usually have in EuroCustoms :lol

I miss 4 player co-op btw. Anyone interested in that sometime this week?

DiabolicalBagel said:
Someone keeps telling me that it's assault or flag or summin', not just slayer. Pffft, what an idiot... it's obviously a slayer game.

There's CTF in Hallway maps? :p

KAL2006

Banned
Is this game confirmed to have a new engine from Halo 3 and ODST. I really want a full graphics/engine upgrade. A good example is COD3 to COD4. That the kind of jump i'm looking for.

danwarb

KAL2006 said:
Is this game confirmed to have a new engine from Halo 3 and ODST. I really want a full graphics/engine upgrade. A good example is COD3 to COD4. That the kind of jump i'm looking for.
Yes.

Chinner

Banned
KAL2006 said:
apparently so, but bungle hasn't had much problems lying to their fans so it may just be a lie again. all will be revealed when we find out if its 640p or whatever.

Has the Reach video leak and information been confirmed real, or posted here yet?

A new Halo: Reach video hit the net early this morning. The video seems to be a capture of the upcoming Halo: Reach beta that will launch publicly in the Spring for all owners of Halo 3: ODST. The video in question seems to be pretty legit but we're holding it with a grain of salt for now. Don't be surprised if the video is taken down by the afternoon.

[b[The video gives off details on what the beta will offer to players including some single player campaign levels as well as some multi player modes.[/b] As one tip shows, a new feature is called "Murder Mode" which apparently allows you to kill an enemy in stealth without being detected.

- http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/article/Halo_Reach/5986.html

GhaleonEB said:
I hope the assassination animation is very, very fast. Not the kind of thing you start and then miss, or go through a long animation like the Halo Wars Wraith boarding animation. Epic leap, flip, half twist.
Yes, please. As excited as I am to see some scripted assassinations, I don't want it to be the GoW style where I can set my controller down and grab a Dr Pepper while Marcus pummels a bad guy. I have faith in you, Bungie.

NOKYARD said:
It kind of does already. You just have to know how to make use of it. If you look close you can see it used extensively on this map.

Thank you. This is HaloGAF Hallway's Conquest cousin. But don't let the open layout fool you. It plays like you are in a cave due to it being placed against the upper and outer invisi-barriers.

Disengage!
Got room on your FL? I'd love to pick your forgebrain and learn these secrets you speak of.

Falt

squidhands said:
Yes, please. As excited as I am to see some scripted assassinations, I don't want it to be the GoW style where I can set my controller down and grab a Dr Pepper while Marcus pummels a bad guy. I have faith in you, Bungie.

I think if it breaks perspective (first person to third person and back to first person) the experience could be a little jarring, particularly in multiplayer.

Top Bottom