• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Kibbles

Elaborate fake. How convienient that he covers the camer when it's done loading just to hear a few text-to-speech lines. :lol

I think the screens look pretty good for the most part. The enviroments look kinda iffy but I recall with Halo 3 all the character models and such seemed to be done first, if the vi-docs were anything to go by.

Character models look awesome though, the Jackals look horrible, which helps as I fucking hate Jackals already and take great pleasure in killing them :lol

I'd say the video is fake too, just doesn't feel right in a few ways to me. Also the dude made a show of pressing A and the response on screen seemed a little too delayed.

Falt

Blueblur1 said:
Missile Pod.

Turret, Warthog, Hornet?

All third person, all the time. Not exactly what I was getting at. The idea of quickly switching back and fourth with an animation in between and then trying to get your bearings once it's over to me sounds jarring although this might not even be the case.

IZZO

Neo Member
Falt said:
Turret, Warthog, Hornet?

All third person, all the time. Not exactly what I was getting at. The idea of quickly switching back and fourth with an animation in between and then trying to get your bearings once it's over to me sounds jarring although this might not even be the case.

yeah i agree with you. I hope they won't change perspective for the animation

Falt said:
I think if it breaks perspective (first person to third person and back to first person) the experience could be a little jarring, particularly in multiplayer.
Quite possibly, but how else would it be done? I've never seen a scripted event like an assassination from a first person perspective, but I haven't played a whole lot of FPS games other than Unreal Tournament and Quake (just starting Half Life 2).

Falagard

Kibbles said:
Elaborate fake. How convienient that he covers the camer when it's done loading just to hear a few text-to-speech lines. :lol

I think it's fake, but Bungie does use text to speech for unfinished voice work.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=12414

Recent builds have had low-res, unlit heads with broken necks speaking the lines, or worse, the line being automatically recited by a robot speech synthesizer. It’s actually pretty sophisticated until it tries to parse the word, “Mmmmhmm.”

Arnie

That video smells fake to me.

Also, how has the EDGE stuff not been leaked already? I can walk to my local WHSmith tomorrow and buy the magazine myself, so much for the all knowing internet. Secondly, the fact that Bungie have published the Game Informer screens through EB Games signals to me that the images in EDGE will probably be the same as GI. That's not too much of a blow as it is the writing that I am looking forward to.

squidhands said:
Quite possibly, but how else would it be done? I've never seen a scripted event like an assassination from a first person perspective, but I haven't played a whole lot of FPS games other than Unreal Tournament and Quake (just starting Half Life 2).

Look at Chronicles of Riddick.

Arnie said:

Also, how has the EDGE stuff not been leaked already? I can walk to my local WHSmith tomorrow and buy the magazine myself, so much for the all knowing internet. Secondly, the fact that Bungie have published the Game Informer screens through EB Games signals to me that the images in EDGE will probably be the same as GI. That's not too much of a blow as it is the writing that I am looking forward to.

Well, EB games/gamestop owns GameInformer, so I'm not really surprised those images went up there.

Frenck

Banned
The screens look fine to me. A big improvement over Halo 3 despite the increased scale.

149459_screenshot_011_l.jpg

I just love this shot by the way. My favourite from this batch.

pringles

Truant said:
It's 2010 and grass is still a flat green texture.
I remember Starfox Adventure for Gamecube had some crazy effect that made the grass look all 3D and cool, atleast from up close. I thought that was the future.
Haven't seen anything like it since.

Some screens look great, others not so much. Bungie has always been bad at taking screenshots though. I want a better quality version of that first-person view shot that was in GI.

The Crawf

Arnie said:

Yeah that's what I am planning on doing tomorrow, but (I think someone said earlier) if subscribers haven't had theirs yet maybe the newsagents won't either?

Chinner said:
all will be revealed when we find out if its 640p or whatever.

Unfortunately, that won't tell us anything about whether the engine is "new" or not. It can be 640p and be a graphics engine built "from the ground up." It could also be 720p w/ some level of AA and still be the old engine, albeit with several tweaks and optimizations, including a more efficient HDR format.

video said:
*Murder Mode*

"murder mode"? Ridiculous. I'll call fake just on the horrible name. Even for a placeholder that's terrible. Seriously, murder mode? What do you do outside that mode, hold hands, sing along, and give the covenant hugs?
EBGames Screens said:
*hyper-super-duper compression*
Oh god my eyes!

Also, the environments look terrible without tons of decorators.

Well, Halo 3 looked best in motion, and with better animation and up to 40 dynamic lights, I can only see that being more true here... hope that the number of shadows have been reduced for performance reasons or others when they took the shots, because while a step up, it's not what I was hoping for. And environmental objects without AO or proper shadows just don't look right.

Falt

squidhands said:

Mirror's Edge comes to mind. Disarm vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trf-xYyLIV0

Now whether or not something like that would work in halo (multiplayer specifically) is beyond me.

feel

Like 300 new posts since I last read this thread last night! That must mean the Edge stuff is out there!

:(

NOKYARD said:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4289601035_4909f76b82_b.jpg[/IM

Teaser of a new map for HaloGAF customs.

I would provide the link but i am giving the RvB guys first crack at it for their [URL="http://roosterteeth.com/viewEntry.php?id=1810"]Halo 3 playdate[/URL] in support of Bungie's Be a Hero! Haiti relief effort Wednesday night.

After that it's all yours. ([URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/nokyard/sets/72157623122965301/show/"]more pics[/URL])[/QUOTE]
Jesus, dude. You got a lot of patience and it really pays off. Looks fantastic.

And holy moly, this thread grew four pages over night. Just got finished reading through them all. As for the screenshots, the new AR looks really good - the more I see it, the more I like it.

Out of all the screenshots, this one is probably my favorite:
[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/ouceol.jpg

Falt said:
Mirror's Edge comes to mind. Disarm vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trf-xYyLIV0

Now whether or not something like that would work in halo (multiplayer specifically) is beyond me.
That's pretty sweet. I'd actually rather not have a lot of scripted events in multiplayer other than what's already there, but it would be great to have something like this in the campaign. I'll have to check out Chronicles of Riddick, too.

The video is absolutely positively fake. Look at his other video's he has made others. I gave him endless grief on the last "Reach Menu Leak" that everyone thought was real because of Tom Morello and the Game Informer video... But it was NOT real, i gave him endless shit about how much different his fake video was compared to the tom morello leaks and he made note of them since he made the adjustments that i had pointed out to him and everyone else on youtube over and over again LMAO but he still got a few things wrong ( the giant rock and the rivers). Aside from the differences, bungie would never have such insanely terrible presentation.

Dax01 said:
Jesus, dude. You got a lot of patience and it really pays off. Looks fantastic.

And holy moly, this thread grew four pages over night. Just got finished reading through them all. As for the screenshots, the new AR looks really good - the more I see it, the more I like it.

Out of all the screenshots, this one is probably my favorite:
ouceol.jpg

My favorite too, shows of the strong points in the game, which are the characters. I hope the environments get kicked up a notch.

Arnie

The Crawf said:
Yeah that's what I am planning on doing tomorrow, but (I think someone said earlier) if subscribers haven't had theirs yet maybe the newsagents won't either?
Yes I was wondering that myself. I'll have to ring up beforehand.

Flipyap

EazyB said:
Thanks for dropping by dude.

Yeah, I don't get it. I've never had a problem with Halo 3's ground being too flat, I mean the poor AF made the textures muddy at a distance but that's another story. Almost all shooters have pretty "flat" grounds, sure some throw a shitton of rubble (which I'd rather avoid) and Far Cry 2 had pretty good tall grass but it's an exception.
Seriously. I'm not a fan of the way Reach looks, but this is such a stupid thing to compain about.
I'd rather see flat grass, than a turd like the simple "3D" grass effect Ubisoft put in Assassin's Creed II for no good reason. They ended up making the game's more open areas look far worse than they did in the first game.

NOKYARD said:
After that it's all yours. (more pics)
That's really pretty and smart. Impressive.

kylej

Banned
godhandiscen said:
PS: Whoever took this batch of pictures, wasn't doing Bungie any favors though, they really aren't good promo shots. However it is cool to set our expectations low.

That's... one way to look at it.

Vinterbird said:
Has the Reach video leak and information been confirmed real, or posted here yet?

- http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/article/Halo_Reach/5986.html
"WAIT. I DE-TECT SOME-THING." Sounds like whoever wrote Cortana's dialogue in Halo 1 is back on the team.

And since its a Reach multiplayer beta, wouldn't you just enter a lobby when you hit A on anything in the main menu?

DragoNZ DZ said:
"murder mode"? Ridiculous. I'll call fake just on the horrible name. Even for a placeholder that's terrible. Seriously, murder mode? What do you do outside that mode, hold hands, sing along, and give the covenant hugs?
So stupid its awesome. It just rolls off the tongue so beautifully.

Dax01 said:
As for the screenshots, the new AR looks really good - the more I see it, the more I like it.
I'm liking the new AR too, but it might be because of enhanced textures on the weapon itself and not necessarily the design. Its lookin snazzy regardless.

NOKYARD

Vinterbird said:
Has the Reach video leak and information been confirmed real, or posted here yet?

- http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/article/Halo_Reach/5986.html
Fake!
I was half expecting it to be from the take home test. If so, Bungie needs to do something sneaky like make each copy have it's own unique reticule to make the leaks easier to catch.

also, not loaded from the ODST Extras menu.

squidhands said:
Got room on your FL? I'd love to pick your forgebrain and learn these secrets you speak of.
I try to clear a spot before each GAF Customs night. I am trying to pare my FL and add people who actually play. A few nights ago i had 40 friends online
mostly playing Grifball, MW2 & 1 vs 100

Direct-feed of the screenshots has underwhelmed me. I think the Spartan models look really great (some nifty detail on them), but the environments do not look to have taken any kind of leap from Halo 3, which is a shame as they still look very last gen in their oddly structured rocks and flat textured grass.

I certainly hope that the final game will be AA'd out of the ass to match the Screenshot Renderer's smoothing at the very least.

Graphically I still think Halo 3 looks alright so maybe im easily pleased but I dont think Reach looks too bad, some of the environments look a little bland though.

Actually the environments worry me, the level design from Halo 3 didnt really impress me all that much, I would hate to have a repeat of the same wharehouses on Reach, its a planet theres so much we can see.

Odst was a little better though so im guessing it will be good.

That map looks really cool by the way, how do you get into Gaf customs?

MNC

You know what's the best image?

21m7rx0.jpg

THIS MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT HERE, Old school Covenant Dropships/Spirits I think! Yes!

kylej

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Graphically I still think Halo 3 looks alright so maybe im easily pleased but I dont think Reach looks too bad, some of the environments look a little bland though.

At the end of the day it's multiplayer that I'm going to buy Reach for, and I can't say I've ever found Halo 3's MP fidelity too distracting to play. You forget about it as soon as you get into a good game.

If Reach MP is a little crisper and runs at a higher framerate then that's all I need. If they show off a bunch of perfect remakes of the best Halo 2+3 maps before release I'll fly to Bungie and grab their front door.

NOKYARD

bobs99 ... said:
That map looks really cool by the way, how do you get into Gaf customs?
Here

Forgot to mention. The new map uses only (and all of the) walls and columns. No other structural items are used. It has just enough budget & object limit spots remaining to add 2 Needlers.

Magni

Gui_PT said:
Hai guys. Wut's going on?

Any news besides those awesome screenshots with Big Bird and the head crotches?

I'm off to my last exam. Wish me luck!
so i don't get caught cheating

Just got the results for mine, got all my classes :D Right now I'm in a four-week worker-internship so I have some time for the Xbox. Dead Space right now, but I'll pop in Halo 3 to play a bit tonight probably.

Is the entire game supposed to be desaturated like that? Any chance you can turn it off to look more like Halo 3? I didn't think Halo 3 was a good looking game but I appreciated how it was colorful and all that.

Magni

I hope they hired the guy in charge of BF BC's sound direction for the gun sounds. Halo 3's were pretty weak, especially the AR which was a huge letdown (though not only for the sound..).

Linkzg said:
Is the entire game supposed to be desaturated like that? Any chance you can turn it off to look more like Halo 3? I didn't think Halo 3 was a good looking game but I appreciated how it was colorful and all that.
I doubt it's something you can change. Of course I can't speak for Bungie but it would seem they removed some of the color to please the people who complained about the abundance of color in Halo 3.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MagniHarvald said:
I hope they hired the guy in charge of BF BC's sound direction for the gun sounds. Halo 3's were pretty weak, especially the AR which was a huge letdown (though not only for the sound..).

You're gunna luv our gun sounds. I spent the second half of my lunch break yesterday just runnin' around latest listening to sounds. Even quiet sounds stupendously realistic now.

Sill4

I really, really hope the scarabs are used in the open environments with improved AI.

I had a blast fighting them in halo 3, was actually my favorite activity in the game. I have piloted every vehicle in the game onto a moving scarab except for the scorpion. Blowing up scarabs with a chopper is so fun.

If they do bring them back, I really hope they do more than stamp around in a small area. Have those bitches chase us across the country side!

Also, something something graphics.

-edit- just noticed the extended muzzle on the AR. Given the games larger scale, hopefully the AR will act more like an actual rifle this time around. Obviously not as accurate as the DMR or BR, but something akin to stereotypical video game AK-47 or LMG.

urk said:
You're gunna luv our gun sounds. I spent the second half of my lunch break yesterday just runnin' around latest listening to sounds. Even quiet sounds stupendously realistic now.

So what are the odd's on some Mp3's of the gun sounds this coming weekly update :D

As for the saturation thing im very worried that Bungie are trying to please all the Halo haters, so are toning down the look of the game which wont please them because they prefer COD/ Gears anyway and will just upset the fans that love the brightness of Halo.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
bobs99 ... said:
As for the saturation thing im very worried that Bungie are trying to please all the Halo haters, so are toning down the look of the game which wont please them because they prefer COD/Gears anyway and will just upset the fans that love the brightness of Halo.

Dun worry.

Arnie said:

Well EB/Gamestop own GameInformer so that's why they have the first screens. Possible that Edge have something different.

[Nintex]

pringles said:
I remember Starfox Adventure for Gamecube had some crazy effect that made the grass look all 3D and cool, atleast from up close. I thought that was the future.
Haven't seen anything like it since.
MS should've let Rare develop an incredible in-house engine for most of their first party games(except for maybe the racing titles) and share tech between the developers. I can't believe they handled Rare the way they did and didn't benefit from their technical brilliance.

These Halo: Reach shots look rather poor, ODST looks better to me because of the atmosphere and setting. They really took advantage of the lighting effects of the old engine. Now this... well Halo 3 comes to mind. Bungie and friends have been hyping the new engine and tech for a while now and this is the result? Again I'm not impressed... yet.

Top Bottom