• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Sill4

bobs99 ... said:
As for the saturation thing im very worried that Bungie are trying to please all the Halo haters, so are toning down the look of the game which wont please them because they prefer COD/ Gears anyway and will just upset the fans that love the brightness of Halo.

Nah, the screenshots still look very Halo. It actually sort of gives me a Republic Commando vibe as well, which is a good thing imo.

If anything it appears so far to me like a great balance of gritty and traditional Halo style. Of course certain people are going to bitch about graphics no matter what, but I don't think fan will be disappointed as far as graphic are concerned. These shots are more fitting to Halo than the old '06 Concrete Chief.

Just checked the Edge website. It says that Subscribers will be getting it tomorrow along with the Newsagents. I guess its because of the Reach feature.

NOKYARD said:
I try to clear a spot before each GAF Customs night. I am trying to pare my FL and add people who actually play. A few nights ago i had 40 friends online
mostly playing Grifball, MW2 & 1 vs 100
I forge more than play, mostly because everyone else is playing other things or so far ahead of me in skill that I'd just bring their team down in MM, lol. I'm always down for playing customs, though.

urk said:
Even quiet sounds stupendously realistic now.
Day 1

Merguson

Banned
GazzaScotland said:
Just checked the Edge website. It says that Subscribers will be getting it tomorrow along with the Newsagents. I guess its because of the Reach feature.

That's "UK" Newsagents. I don't think people can pick the magazine up in North America tomorrow unless I'm wrong.

Merguson said:
That's "UK" Newsagents. I don't think people can pick the magazine up in North America tomorrow unless I'm wrong.

I don't think anyone has been talking about the US release have they? I was under the impression the US didn't get Edge, or other UK mags till a good while after.

Arnie

GazzaScotland said:
Yes, looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to WHSmiths after all.
2epqbyv.jpg

KAL2006 said:
Is this game confirmed to have a new engine from Halo 3 and ODST. I really want a full graphics/engine upgrade. A good example is COD3 to COD4. That the kind of jump i'm looking for.
The short answer is yes. I asked the same question in different words, and here is the conclusion:

The engine is NOT built from the ground up and to normal people appears to be a modified version of Halo 3's engine - this is because of 'development pipeline' things and 'ignorance' on my part. Bungie is completely taking out entire sections of code and putting in newer, flashier things (i.e. shadow and lighting), but core elements of this remain the same as Halo 3.

COD3 to COD4 difference is from two different developers, so the comparison is kind of moot in the first place, but as far as the sheer update in completely revamping the code from the ground up? Nope. Heavily developed utilizing the tools they've already developed and improving the Halo 3 engine? Yup. That's what the industry calls 'new' these days. Either way it should be fun. And that's what counts at the end of the day.

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Bungie has shot themselves in the foot here, because those screenshots for the most part (some lighting tricks and the the detail of character models aside, and the former is more obvious in the nighttime shots) look like Halo 3 screenshots. But Halo 3 screenshots were (and are) woefully deceptive, and maybe Halo: Reach actually looks like Halo 3 does in screenshots?

Remains to be seen.
Pretty much, while there are definitely improvements to be seen in the screens we have and the engine can supposedly put more on the screen, the substantial improvements should be in the AA, AF, and resolution department, all of which aren't even an issue when capturing shots in Halo 3.

Flipyap

Frenck said:
What's so bad about AC 2's vegetation?

It's the same tech that was used in Far Cry 2 and it looks beautiful in my opinion.
I thought it looked extremely simplistic most of the time. The draw distance on the effect was also pretty short, so any detail (like the flowers) popped into view badly.

Sill4

Major Williams said:
COD3 to COD4 difference is from two different developers, so the comparison is kind of moot in the first place, but as far as the sheer update in completely revamping the code from the ground up? Nope. Heavily developed utilizing the tools they've already developed and improving the Halo 3 engine? Yup. That's what the industry calls 'new' these days. Either way it should be fun. And that's what counts at the end of the day.

This is true, but when I saw the comparison pics of Halo 3 grunts, Marines, and the AR to the new Reach versions in Game Informer, it definitely seemed like a COD3 to COD4 upgrade.

But like some peeps have already said, the images and screens may not speak the truth, so it's best to reserve judgement until release
yeah right

The Crawf

http://www.edge-online.com/features/out-soon-e211

Arriving with subscribers and in UK newsagents tomorrow, E211 exposes how Bungie is closing a chapter in its development history.

Halo: Reach is, as its principal team members tell us, the culmination of all the studio's work on the series – the ultimate expression of the mix of technology and design which has made Halo a benchmark for console FPS.

We met with the leads from each department making up Bungie's team and saw two levels to find out how Reach could well be the best Halo yet released for our expansive feature, and found out why the process has made the team go full circle and look for inspiration at the series' beginning – 2001's Combat Evolved.

For the full story, pick up the magazine, but as a bonus look out on Edge Online from tomorrow for a series of excerpts from our interviews which will look at specific elements from Reach.

Striker

EazyB said:
Pretty much, while there are definitely improvements to be seen in the screens we have and the engine can supposedly put more on the screen, the substantial improvements should be in the AA, AF, and resolution department, all of which aren't even an issue when capturing shots in Halo 3.
I think these graphics look fine, and are these in the beta/alpha stages? As long as there is AA and whatnot, that's all I'm asking for. Halo: CE was so polished and smooth looking, I am hoping Reach can some how turn around like that. A smooth gameplay experience with no hitches in the framerate, as well.

Hoping to hear more about the weapons, armor abilities, and the upcoming multiplayer beta.

I am not a Halo player. I honestly read the OP, I read the GI article.

I'm just really curious if there is any way this game (single player) will have a Republic Commando vibe for a gamer that loved that game?

Striker said:
I think these graphics look fine, and are these in the beta/alpha stages? As long as there is AA and whatnot, that's all I'm asking for. Halo: CE was so polished and smooth looking, I am hoping Reach can some how turn around like that. A smooth gameplay experience with no hitches in the framerate, as well.

Hoping to hear more about the weapons, armor abilities, and the upcoming multiplayer beta.
I am really hoping for a March/April beta but I won't hold my breath. :/

As expected, Edge Saves. =P

As for how the game might/can change between now and release:

It could be really big (see Halo: CE's development, coming together at the last moments), or it could be rather modest (Halo:3 didn't see the changes people were hoping for, visually, between alpha/beta and release). I'm not going to go in assuming that the environments seen here are going to change so drastically that I wouldn't possibly recognize them, though I am expecting more decorators than there are currently.

GhaleonEB

Arnie said:
2epqbyv.jpg
Nice cover. The description posted above is what I was hoping from the Edge issue: a story about Bungie and how they're making Reach, not just Reach itself (which is what GI was). I'd expect nothing less from Edge.

As for the screens, they're more interesting for their content than the visuals. Player and enemy models look great, but otherwise visually it's hard to be impressed, both because of what's being shown and how Halo 3 modified its screens. If Reach actually had that - or near that - level of AA, then it would really be something given the enhanced scale, lighting and model details. The ground texture at an angle, though, doesn't look so hot.

Until we see it in motion and get a better look at some things, I'll probably hold off on judging the visuals to much. (And really, most of me doesn't care. I'm in the camp that, AA and AF aside, thinks Halo 3 still looks great.)

Kosma

Banned
The screens so far really dont scream AAA. Its kind of sad Bungie has fell off so far visuals wise since the original Halo which was a showpiece. Now its subpar looking game by any means.

What happened? I mean they have the budget and support from MS.

Truant

Kosma said:
The screens so far really dont scream AAA. Its kind of sad Bungie has fell off so far visuals wise since the original Halo which was a showpiece. Now its subpar looking game by any means.

police.jpg

Kosma said:

I'm waiting for this wild of a judgment until I play the beta. For now, I just have cautious optimism that Bungie knows what they are doing with the larger team. I would recommend you do the same to prevent you looking at the beta with a cynical filter on.

Kosma

Banned
Dude they have all the recources in the world and the game doesnt look better then some 360 launch titles (same went for Halo 3). I'm just wondering how this is possible with such a high profile release for MS who has so much tech etc.

Major Williams said:
I'm waiting for this wild of a judgment until I play the beta. For now, I just have cautious optimism that Bungie knows what they are doing with the larger team. I would recommend you do the same to prevent you looking at the beta with a cynical filter on.

It was the same story with Halo 3 though, when I was playing the Beta and being very underwhelmed people said to hold off with judgement to the full version and not much changed. I just cant imagine that in one gen a dev went from making a system showpiece graphics wise to subpar territory. Its like they really stopped caring for it.

Truant

Kosma said:
Dude they have all the recources in the world and the game doesnt look better then some 360 launch titles (same went for Halo 3). I'm just wondering how this is possible with such a high profile release for MS who has so much tech etc.

I tried to ask those questions too, but was deemed a troll, and there was something about saved films, and 'the lighting'. Just give it up, dude.

I was gonna call real until I read, "launching exclusivity on Xbox 360". Bungie never does campaign demo's either. Gotta go with fake unfortunetly.

Pug

We have a few screens from a beta build which is 8 months from launch. No one has seen it in motion yet we have the post as above. Fecking ridiculous.

pringles said:
I remember Starfox Adventure for Gamecube had some crazy effect that made the grass look all 3D and cool, atleast from up close. I thought that was the future.
Haven't seen anything like it since.

Yes you have. We used it in The Bigs for the field, and it was used in Viva Pinata.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wow, sucks for subscribers to get it as the same time as us normal folk.

Guess I'll pick it up from Tesco tomorrow. Fingers crossed they have another exclusive freebie. :D

Kosma

Banned
Its not ridiculous because the game wont make a magical jump in visuals to make it a system showpiece let alone rival games like Gears. I dont know where Bungie is putting that bottomless budget to work, but its not on the tech side thats for sure.

Truant said:
I tried to ask those questions too, but was deemed a troll, and there was something about saved films, and 'the lighting'. Just give it up, dude.

I'll just take your word for it.

GhaleonEB

Pug said:
We have a few screens from a beta build which is 8 months from launch. No one has seen it in motion yet we have the post as above. Fecking ridiculous.
The thing I'm keeping in mind is we're getting a Beta in the next 4-5 months. So regardless of what the screens look like, we'll have this thing on our hands soon enough.

From some of the hints tossed out, the Beta is going to be pretty meaty, hopefully with both pure MP and perhaps a Firefight test.

Is there any word on the controls? I was hoping it would have the "Hold L To Aim" controls that allot of console shooters seem to be adopting now a days. But then again it wouldn't be Halo if it was.

Kosma said:

It was the same story with Halo 3 though, when I was playing the Beta and being very underwhelmed people said to hold off with judgement to the full version and not much changed. I just cant imagine that in one gen a dev went from making a system showpiece graphics wise to subpar territory. Its like they really stopped caring for it.
Truant said:
I tried as well, but also got made fun of. But I kind of see their point.

What is going on here is that to me it seems Bungie are masters at combining a great story/universe with awesome gameplay. They were masters of the original xbox in every single field - story, gameplay and graphics. With the larger industry and more talent being poured into the same bucket , there was bound to be some serious competition.

While the bar is being raised industry-wide, Bungie continues to innovate and show that their engine is robust, impressive without smoke and mirrors, and most of all, fun. Now that the PS3 and other graphics engines are being constantly improved upon, Bungie appears to be faltering in graphics - but that only tells half of the story. The Xbox 360 is extremely limited for our modern day expectations, and the fact remains that there are multitudes more features and things in Halo than 99% of games out there that haven't copied the 'Halo formula'.

Sure, graphics aren't up to my 2010 expectations and I care too much about Bungie/Halo to see flat grass on the 'culmination of all Halo projects by Bungie'. But that's the way it is, and I'm going to try my darndest to try and appreciate what Bungie has put their time and effort into. If I'm still not impressed, then I'll pass judgment, but for now we don't have all the pieces to their puzzle.

The only thing I'm disappointed in was when it was announced at E3, they said it was a 'brand new engine' for Reach. Looking at these screens is not what came to my mind when you say 'brand new engine when compared to ODST and H3'. That labeling is what tripped me up.

big ander

Thread's moving fast now. That beta video looks really really fake.
Nokyard's map looks awesome.

Arnie said:
2epqbyv.jpg
The Crawf said:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/out-soon-e211

Arriving with subscribers and in UK newsagents tomorrow, E211 exposes how Bungie is closing a chapter in its development history.

Halo: Reach is, as its principal team members tell us, the culmination of all the studio's work on the series – the ultimate expression of the mix of technology and design which has made Halo a benchmark for console FPS.

We met with the leads from each department making up Bungie's team and saw two levels to find out how Reach could well be the best Halo yet released for our expansive feature, and found out why the process has made the team go full circle and look for inspiration at the series' beginning – 2001's Combat Evolved.

For the full story, pick up the magazine, but as a bonus look out on Edge Online from tomorrow for a series of excerpts from our interviews which will look at specific elements from Reach.
Very cool, can't wait to hear what is gleaned from it.

EDIT:
GhaleonEB said:
The thing I'm keeping in mind is we're getting a Beta in the next 4-5 months. So regardless of what the screens look like, we'll have this thing on our hands soon enough.

From some of the hints tossed out, the Beta is going to be pretty meaty, hopefully with both pure MP and perhaps a Firefight test.
Would be amazing.
Chip N Chance said:
Is there any word on the controls? I was hoping it would have the "Hold L To Aim" controls that allot of console shooters seem to be adopting now a days. But then again it wouldn't be Halo if it was.
You mean Down-Sight Aiming? It wasn't mentioned in the GI article, so I doubt it. Good thing too, I don't think it would work in Halo.

OK guys, im gonna post something i posted on another forum. Its a bit harsh but it was due to the nature of the thread (new screens critisism thread) where i wrote it. Its a lot so i didnt want to rewrite it. hope its not annoying. This is my screen name on another forum (bungie.net) so this is me.

Posted by: ManGuyDude805
Well the game has to go gold before 8 months so that gives it more like 7 months at the most... The glitches and framrate wont be settled (will never be perfect) up until its gold. more often then not, they take away elements from the graphics so the frames can run smoothly. If you read the weekly update they said that the VGA video was accomplished with frame dump (capturing frame by frame and then puting it back together) BECAUSE THE FRAMES PER SECOND ARE IN FLUX... The frames per second are in FLUX?!... ok that is understandable when the game is unstable and they may be biting more then they can chew at the time... But THE FRAMES PER SECOND ARE IN FLUX WHILE THE GRAPHICS LOOK LIKE THAT?!

So you guys are saying they still have time to make it look better? Well in 7 months they will need to increase the graphics of the environments substantially, add more assets and items and textures to the game and then make it run smoother then it does now WHILE the game doesnt even have half the stuff on screen it should have. And to make matters worse, if you look at the picture with the dead grunt, dead jackal, and skirmishers on the roof, you will notice that the physics engine hasnt even been implemented yet because the dead characters look so stiff they could be standing in that same position.

Im not saying they dont have any time, im saying they got so much -blam!- to do in so little time and i hope they pay attention to the right things.

Can someone who knows more then me about the technical side of things prove me wrong so that i can be a bit more optimistic about the final version? I did think the H3 was improved from the Beta to the Final version (character model detail, first person weapons lighting and other lighting glitches) .

SILVO

Banned
Generally by the point in development that a developer is releasing screenshots, the graphics, especially in regards to the models and textures, are essentially done. In other words, don't expect 3D grass (which I was going to make a post about last night but didn't wanted to get called a troll with my first post), don't expect rocks to look like anything other than lumps of play-doh with a texture on them, and don't expect environments to be that detailed or feel organic.

It's a shame that Bungie still hasn't been able to design levels that feel "real" and not like a bunch of connected, predesigned set pieces. I've always felt that Call of Duty games, even though they're probably more linear than Halo games, do a great job creating realistic and organic levels. I would kill to see the Reach campaign be that well designed. Still, at least the character models look great, and if they can actually put 40 guys on screen at once or whatever they said they can, I'll be happy.

I agree with the idea that Bungie does almost nothing to sell to the player that he's a Spartan. The things that point towards the Spartans unnatural strengths are implemented poorly. While John is able to flip vehicles it is done poorly. The sound effects are more or less silent and there is no oomph or emphasis in the action. Likewise with jumping as someone else mentioned it's a silent action with a silent landing. Adding these effects does little to alter the mechanics of the game in any significant way but would be a positive addition towards the illusion.

Personally there were a lot of things about ODST/Halo 3 that annoyed me. I wasn't a big fan of the playlists. Jumping into a free for all matched and being forced into a swords or oddball match almost constantly was an exercise in frustration. Unlike Halo 2 getting to level 50 was a quick action and limited the enjoyment of continuing those gametypes. No matchmaking for coop or firefight...the list just goes on.

I'm just hoping that the multiplayer has its own set of new maps like any new numbered Halo title, with its own original gameplay. I get that it's still going to be Halo, but after investing in buying the map packs along with ODST I'm hoping that what is available here feels fresh.

Flipyap

Truant said:
Every time I see you posting in Halo threads, you're complaining about the graphics (and I agree with you on many points).
If you still didn't get the answers you want to read, maybe you should take your own advice. Why bother?
I think your comments would be received in a more friendly way, if you had more reasons to post in Halo threads, because right now your handsome avatar is a bit like a red flag.

Sean P.

riceandbeans said:
I was gonna call real until I read, "launching exclusivity on Xbox 360". Bungie never does campaign demo's either. Gotta go with fake unfortunetly.

Halo 1 had a campaign demo? And Halo 3 beta builds for friends and family were SP/MP

Truant

Flipyap said:
Every time I see you posting in Halo threads, you're complaining about the graphics (and I agree with you on many points).
If you still didn't get the answers you want to read, maybe you should take your own advice. Why bother?
I think your comments would be received in a more friendly way, if you had more reasons to post in Halo threads, because right now your handsome avatar is a bit like a red flag.

Do you really think my posts reek of troll? I think I'm presenting my case in a fair and reasonable manner. I'm looking forward to the game, but I don't have much to contribute as all discussions are exlusively related to multiplayer, which I am not a fan of myself. Graphics are a big part of a single player experience for me, if they're good, and I just want graphics that support the rest of the game, like Halo: CE did in its time.

I'll reiterate, because I know Bungie members are reading this, and I'm going to drive home the point - just put in the damn anti-aliasing or up the damn resolution. That's all I ask. Surely there comes a point where they can only take so many posts and comments on the aliasing before they do something about it. I was actually quite disappointed when this issue wasn't mentioned or raised at all in the new tech section of the gameinformer article.

h3sp6.jpg

halo-3-20070923023433241.jpg

Massive difference.

Frenck

Banned
We know that Bungie will add tons of decorators and other small atmospheric effects later on. The screens look fine for what they are. You can see how big the environments will be, what the tone and setting looks like and what we can expect from the lighting.

It looks comparable to Gears 2 in these pics, very much in the upper echelon of 360 games (Nowhere close to PS3 exclusives like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 of course).

The textures and the geometry will likely stay the same but we can expect a lot of vegetation and random objects to be littered throughout the levels once the game moves closer to completion.

The only thing that really disappoints me is the barren landscape but as I said there are only few decorators like bushes or tall grass in there and the scenes that have them look awesome.

Bungie has a history of releasing early, unpolished screenshots (like this or this)that don't do the final game justice. That's the trade off for getting this stuff a year before release.

I'm sure we'll look back to this stuff the same way we look back to the early Halo 2 SP pics.

Striker

Dark FaZe said:
I'm just hoping that the multiplayer has its own set of new maps like any new numbered Halo title, with its own original gameplay. I get that it's still going to be Halo, but after investing in buying the map packs along with ODST I'm hoping that what is available here feels fresh.
Agree. As I've said before, I am hoping we get a remake pack or a nice handful of remakes for launch. And I'm talking about Heretic type remakes, not Blackout or Avalanche. The medium and large sized Halo 2 maps were the biggest enjoyment for me, as well as the c competitive and challenging Rank System.

Personally, I don't care for Firefight and wouldn't shed a tear if it were not included into Reach. Tons of maps, custom game browser, and a map editor is all I'm asking for (not a simplistic modifier like Forge).

big ander

Sean P. said:
Halo 1 had a campaign demo? And Halo 3 beta builds for friends and family were SP/MP
But Halo CE was a brand new franchise. They were trying to get its name out there so more people would buy it. By Halo 2 and 3 and ODST, people already knew Halo and what it would be like. They knew people would buy it simply on the knowledge that it was a sequel to Halo.
And was the F+F Beta really SP/MP? I didn't have the beta at all, but I thought the F+F was just MP.

Sean P.

big ander said:
But Halo CE was a brand new franchise. They were trying to get its name out there so more people would buy it. By Halo 2 and 3 and ODST, people already knew Halo and what it would be like. They knew people would buy it simply on the knowledge that it was a sequel to Halo.
And was the F+F Beta really SP/MP? I didn't have the beta at all, but I thought the F+F was just MP.

Yea, the very last Friends and Family that came out after the beta had SP, if I recall correctly.

I hope Bungie does an event like the IMAX one they did for Halo 3 again.

Work resumed on my ODST article. I know you guys have either forgotten or will roll your eyes, but I was reminded today of things I loved about ODST that haven't received much (any?) attention, as far as I know, so I'm back at it.

Just passed 4K words.

GhaleonEB

I still think it's weird that we're getting campaign stuff at this point. With the Beta coming up in spring, I thought for sure we'd get beta MP content similar to the Halo 3 reveal.

It makes me think there might be some kind of campaign-esque content in the beta, either Firefight type stuff or something else.

Merguson

Banned
Are people really making conclusions with regards to the physics of Halo Reach with a still screenshot?

I can say the same about the final version of Halo 3.

Look! Fail Bungle! Stiff body!

2E6D9869E8DE71E23B4A1811E46CC142.jpg

Top Bottom