• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Pudding Tame said:
Those locked Endure, Deja Vu, and Firefight achievements are just sitting there. Mocking me.

Maybe in the New Year we'll help you mock 'em back. =)

Edit: Thanks for the heads up on the Origins trailer!

Didn't watch the trailer as I want to keep as it as much of a new experience as I can.
Did customs happen on Saturday?

Letters said:
edit- HA! just noticed juices trolling in the comments section :lol
Saw that too, was tempted to take a screen cap and bitch about this random idiot
"SometimesImEpic" hur hur. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
I propose a Halo: Reach hype thread be made when the magazine previews come out in January.

This thread is intended to cover the magazine reveals.

OP said:
magazines.png

Coming late January!

The most we can expect on GAF is front cover images and information summaries, as magazine scans are banned. So there won't be me much visible new media, at least until Bungie.net updates after the embargo is lifted for the first wave of info, which should be after the magazines go on sale, how long after we don't know, but it's clear that we won't have long to wait.

I don't see the point in creating another Reach topic yet, honestly. Ghaleon will be creating the Official Beta topic in due time and all of the official Reach threads there after, I would assume.

Besides, I think I've been keeping the OP as up to date as can be, and I'm planning on keeping it updated throughout all of January - up until the Beta, as a matter of fact.

Major Williams said:
I like this guy - you new to the HaloGAF crowd? I haven't seen you around.

I REALLY enjoy this dialog about the story elements that Bungie has tried to accomplish and convey.

With the Forerunner novels and Origins set for release with Legends, its obvious that most of the mystery surrounding the Forerunners will go away, but I hope that they maintain the 'awe'someness and prowess that has preceded all of their relevant material thus far in the stories presented. Speaking of which, anyone else see the possible Forerunner hand in the trailer?

Pretty sure that's Cortana's hand, as the trailer said something like: "SEE THEIR STORY THROUGH THE EYES OF CORTANA".

In other news, Evolutions is pretty good and the paperback has a really nice feel to it. Liking the breadth of material covered so far. I really liked Buckell's story "Dirt"- shows his ability a little better than Cole Protocol did I think. Still got about half of the stories left, but I'm really liking it so far, seems like it's of higher quality than the last couple offerings.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
At least change the title to "Halo Reach Hype Thread." :(

Considering all we have is a trailer right now, I don't see the point.

E3 is the perfect time for the "Hype" thread, as I am sure we'll havee hands on gameplay details, proper footage and everything, and being after the beta, it would be the perfect way to fill the gap until release.

Reveal > Beta > Hype > Release

That's how I'm seeing things GAF-wise, according to the reveal information and marketing windows that we know about. Feel free to disagree.

FilthyLies said:
Pretty sure that's Cortana's hand, as the trailer said something like: "SEE THEIR STORY THROUGH THE EYES OF CORTANA".

In other news, Evolutions is pretty good and the paperback has a really nice feel to it. Liking the breadth of material covered so far. I really liked Buckell's story "Dirt"- shows his ability a little better than Cole Protocol did I think. Still got about half of the stories left, but I'm really liking it so far, seems like it's of higher quality than the last couple offerings.

I don't think that's Cortana's hand, unless she's able wear gloves. I think Cortana might simply be the narrator, telling about what she learned of the Forerunners while she was in the Control Room.

A lot of Halo Wars designs in that trailer, namely the floating ships (Forerunner cruisers?) and that spherical keyboard.

BTW, if you haven't reached The Mona Lisa yet, the best is yet to come, that and Nylund's story about Admiral Cole are really, really good.

Yeah, the orb that the contentious hand is manipulating is from Halo Wars too, in addition to those Dreadnoughts.

I stopped right before the Mona Lisa as it looked pretty long and I didn't really want to dive right into it, but glad to hear there's some more quality material ahead. Nylund has plenty of experience writing for Halo so I knew his story'd be good.

So I just completed my fifth playthrough of ODST, and I'm sure of some things I want to see carry over from ODST to Reach, campaign-wise.

1. ODST's FOV. Nothing really to say other than I like it more than Halo 3's.

2. No dual-wielding. Don't try to gimp other weapons just because it makes sense that you can hold one of them in each hand and fire both at the same time. Bungie, you've already done it with the Needler, now just do it for every other weapon.

3. Retain the gameplay idea that all weapons should be balanced so that no weapon is useful in all situations. This is probably the aspect I most enjoyed about ODST's gameplay. It wasn't "use X weapon for close quarters and Y weapon for medium and long-range encounters." The player was forced to think about each situation, how best to use each weapon in an encounter, and which weapon (or both of them) to use on certain Covenant. This was because for one reason or another, all the weapons in ODST weren't effective for every single type of encounter. It was "Okay, I don't have enough ammo of X weapon/X weapon isn't effective until a certain enemy is in a certain condition, so let me use Y weapon on enemies 1-3, and a combination of the two on enemy 4." To put it differently, "I'll use X weapon on enemy types 1-3, and Y weapon on enemy types 4 and 5." Of course, you could always run out of ammo of X weapon in a certain encounter, in which case you have to pick up a weapon from a fallen enemy. However, due to the balancing of the weapons, you still have to think about how best to use the weapon you just picked up.

It can probably be argued that point three is present in Halo 2/3, but I don't think it can be argued that it's nowhere near as prevalent as in ODST.

4. Give me another open-world area. I like the idea of Mombasa Streets. I thought it provided that evolutionary step that Halo FPS games have needed for awhile. The idea can be improved upon in several ways (not-so-samey all around, more lively, make it more interesting to explore). All of Mombasa Streets' shortcomings were probably due to the size of ODST's development team.

5. Audio logs. While the story of the audio logs in ODST wasn't as good as the story found in Halo 3's terminals, the presentation and implementation of the audio logs was far better. It's a fantastic way to tell a story, and it's entirely optional, so it doesn't burden the player. Keep 'em coming, Bungie.

I'll add more if I think of anything.

VaLiancY said:
Fuck me, I just finished reading Mona Lisa. That was a great fucking read.:D
Isn't it? You know what's coming, you know what the boarding crew is facing. You know they should've high-tailed it out of the ship almost as soon as they boarded the ship.

But that doesn't make it any less tense... or awesome.:D

VaLiancY

Dax01 said:
Isn't it? You know what's coming, you know what the boarding crew is facing. You know they should've high-tailed it out of the ship almost as soon as they boarded the ship.

But that doesn't make it any less tense... or awesome.:D

I know! The tension was so thick you could cut into it. I was like "Aw shit, these guys are boned" or "Oh man, this ain't going go good. I felt like I was reading
Cameron's Aliens

Also, I am enjoying the strong representation of females in a leadership role. Mama Lopez's Seal of Approval. :D

Popeck

VaLiancY

Stormtrooper30 said:
Just ordered Halo Evolutions from Amazon. Can't wait to finally understand what yall are talking about.

You're going to get up to Mona Lisa, see how lengthy it is compared to the other stories, read it and then crave for more.

Ramirez

I've only read the first two stories in Evolutions, but I think I like them better than any of the other books aside from maybe CH. Bout to start Frank's story tonight. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ramirez said:
I've only read the first two stories in Evolutions, but I think I like them better than any of the other books aside from maybe CH. Bout to start Frank's story tonight. :)

ZOMG

Ramirez said:
Yeah, I can definitely agree with you here. I'm a big CH fan because its got a ton of awesome backstory and has some really fantastic characters, but the stories in Evolutions benefit from being novelas. They're intense and visceral because of their short, punctuated format. Good stuff. Also, I find it really ironic that I dig Nylund's and Buckell's work far more in Evolutions than in their individual novels - Nylund's epistolary on Cole is quite possibly the most intriguing piece of Halo fiction out there.

And, if you dig Frank's story "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian" (which is awesome) you'll have good reason to check out Waypoint in early 2010.

big ander

Mr Vociferous said:
Yeah, I can definitely agree with you here. I'm a big CH fan because its got a ton of awesome backstory and has some really fantastic characters, but the stories in Evolutions benefit from being novelas. They're intense and visceral because of their short, punctuated format. Good stuff. Also, I find it really ironic that I dig Nylund's and Buckell's work far more in Evolutions than in their individual novels - Nylund's epistolary on Cole is quite possibly the most intriguing piece of Halo fiction out there.

And, if you dig Frank's story "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian" (which is awesome) you'll have good reason to check out Waypoint in early 2010.
I actually just got CH as a late Christmas present. I'm excited to start it up.

TacticalFox88 said:
Bout to pick up all of the Halo novels. Anyone I should avoid? I don't want to waste time on a shitty book....even if it's Halo.
I'd say the weakest of them all, outside of "The Flood" is Cole Protocol, but it's still a decent read.

"The Flood" has Yayap, so it's worth reading because of him alone.:D

Edit - Don't listen to Ten-Song.

Ten-Song

TacticalFox88 said:
Bout to pick up all of the Halo novels. Anyone I should avoid? I don't want to waste time on a shitty book....even if it's Halo.

If you've played Halo 1, don't read the Flood. If you haven't played Halo 1, don't read the Flood.

Aside from that the rest all range from "okay" to "fuck awesome."

Ten-Song said:
If you've played Halo 1, don't read the Flood. If you haven't played Halo 1, don't read the Flood.

Aside from that the rest all range from "okay" to "fuck awesome."
I agree with this statement. The Flood has Yayap, but he's not really a focus and most of the book will be a rehash of the CE story. It's more fun to learn all that by playing the game.

Fall of Reach is still my favorite, followed by Ghosts of Onyx. I really like Nylund's books, not so much Tobias Buckell. Staten's Contact harvest is a good read (it's got lots of Johnson).

big ander

Captain Blood said:
So many Halo threads........can't keep up!
I was just looking at my subscribed threads and thinking this. We have Reach Speculation, Halo Legends, Halo Waypoint, ODST, and soon we'll have Reach Beta.
Lot of BRvsAR(vsAutomag) posts to read.

A friend of mine and I went to a local bookstore that was closing and something caught my eye.
halo-encyclopedia.jpg

Picked it up 40% off for $24. I know it is on amazon for 26 but I was still pretty excited about it.

Ramirez

Captain Blood said:
A friend of mine and I went to a local bookstore that was closing and something caught my eye.
halo-encyclopedia.jpg

Picked it up 40% off for $24. I know it is on amazon for 26 but I was still pretty excited about it.

The cover is so sexy.

Blueblur1

I'd really liked to at least attempt to read all of the books and wrap my head around the Halo lore as best I can but I just don't have the time nowadays. Maybe during the summer. :p

Blueblur1 said:
I'd really liked to at least attempt to read all of the books and wrap my head around the Halo lore as best I can but I just don't have the time nowadays. Maybe during the summer. :p
Have you read Fall of Reach? If you haven't you should give it a go. It could either get you into reading all the other material or let you know that the novels aren't for you.

Ramirez

Blueblur1 said:

Don't bother, it would just make you weird and nerdy like Voc and Cocop. :lol ;)

DiabolicalBagel said:
Child sized sniper rifle confirmed. Seriously, excluding the barrel, that thing is about the same size as the smg.

Cover looks great though.
Perhaps you forget the fact that Master Chief is much larger than the average human.

advent29

Neo Member
Vast Inspiration said:
The man is a mother fucking enigma. He is the one person the Halo community wants to know more about, yet we never hear anything about him.

He went from being project lead of Halo 2 (my favorite one...so far) to, what seems like, an almost nonexistent role on the following Halo games.
Assuming the new unknown IP won't come out til 2012-2013, it will almost be 10 years since he's had a major role in a Bungie game.

I know if Bungie talked about whatever he's working on if would conflict with promoting Reach, just like how we didn't get any info on Reach til after ODST shipped.
It would still be nice to know what the man who co-created Bungie has been up to since Halo 2.

Blueblur1

Captain Blood said:
Have you read Fall of Reach? If you haven't you should give it a go. It could either get you into reading all the other material or let you know that the novels aren't for you.
I've read the first three books actually. But that was years ago, before Halo 2's launch so I don't really recall much except the general plot of each. I really did enjoy them.

Ramirez said:
Don't bother, it would just make you weird and nerdy like Voc and Cocop. :lol ;)
Well, I just want to understand most of it. I'm not going to analyze subtle plot elements or anything; my brain isn't programmed for that. As for Jeremy and Jacob, being all nerdy landed them sweet jobs and I can't hate on that. (I'm aware that I should make it habit to think before I speak/post on GAF.)

Top Bottom