• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Magni

advent29 said:
He went from being project lead of Halo 2 (my favorite one...so far) to, what seems like, an almost nonexistent role on the following Halo games.
Assuming the new unknown IP won't come out til 2012-2013, it will almost be 10 years since he's had a major role in a Bungie game.

I know if Bungie talked about whatever he's working on if would conflict with promoting Reach, just like how we didn't get any info on Reach til after ODST shipped.
It would still be nice to know what the man who co-created Bungie has been up to since Halo 2.

Here's to hoping he's put these pas five years to good use then, I can't wait to see their new IP. E3 '11, Believe! :D

Magni

There's no official Halo 2 Vista thread so I'll post this here.

While searching for ways to play with BJ in H2V, I found this:

I believe the control schemes in H2V are the same as in the console version. So it will only have the pre-made control schemes such as Default and Southpaw.

However, what you could do is download the program called xpadder. What xpadder does is essentially make the game think that the buttons you press on your controller are keyboard presses.

First you would have to know which keyboard/mouse buttons do which action. Then you should run xpadder, do all the setup for the controller (It is fairly straight forward, but could be confusing I guess), then simply set the keyboard buttons to match up with the bumper jumper layout.

Now when you go into halo 2, make sure that the game thinks you are using the keyboard and not the controller. Xpadder will take care of the rest.

How do you do this exactly? This is taken from here.

fake edit:
I know how to use xpadder, the controller is configurated for BJ, but how do I get the game to think I'm using a controller?

For example, when I press A, I jump as well as switch-grenade-type/reload-left-weapon. How do I get rid of the jump?

Any of you guys know how to do this?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MagniHarvald said:
There's no official Halo 2 Vista thread so I'll post this here.

Any of you guys know how to do this?
In the control settings, you set it to keyboard and mouse. If you have a gamepad plugged in, I assume it'd auto switch to gamepad controls, no? So switch to kb+m and then in Xpadder, map your kb+m controls to the gamepad. Nifty little program but it fucking sucks ass if you have more than one gamepad being mapped. At that point it is the one of the worst programs ever.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
That reminds me, anyone know which magazines are rumoured to feature the first Reach info?

I'm pretty sure there will be a wide spread of NA mags and Euro mags when the time comes, but it's best to keep an eye out. I'm pretty sure the subscribers will be letting the world know when the Reach info is dumped through their letterboxes.

Dani said:
That reminds me, anyone know which magazines are rumoured to feature the first Reach info?

I'm pretty sure there will be a wide spread of NA mags and Euro mags when the time comes, but it's best to keep an eye out. I'm pretty sure the subscribers will be letting the world know when the Reach info is dumped through their letterboxes.
There was a hint from a Game Informer editor that someone mention in this thread I think.
I'm assuming OXM will have stuff. Hoping Edge will :D.

Dax01 said:
Re-listening to the Halo 1 and 2 cinematics commentary. They're hilarious. I want something for Halo 3/ODST for Reach special edition.
Indeed, they're great. O'Donnell, Staten and Jones all being wonderfully frank about their own work.

:'-( Jasooon, Come back to us, we'll make you a muffin.

Edit: Crud bucket, I meant to edit my last post and pop this in there. Double sadface.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Lamonster said:
I hope the Firefly guys are back for this game, at least for a cameo!

I actually thought the voice talent overtook the actual characters they were voicing in all the ODST hype. Which is kinda lame.

Even now, I bet some more folks remember the actors rather than some of the characters.

vhfive

Dani said:
I actually thought the voice talent overtook the actual characters they were voicing in all the ODST hype. Which is kinda lame.

Even now, I bet some more folks remember the actors rather than some of the characters.
i love firefly and i think nathan fillion is awesome. that being said i didn't like buck and i cringed whenever i saw him and dare interact
and not because of her chin

Kilroy

Zeouterlimits said:
Indeed, they're great. O'Donnell, Staten and Jones all being wonderfully frank about their own work.

:'-( Jasooon, Come back to us, we'll make you a muffin.
I met O'Donnell last year to an ODST press thing, and I told him just how much I loved the commentary. He promised me that he would talk with Jason Jones about it, as they all thought that no one would see them.

God, I'd pay good money for a Halo 3/ODST developer's Commentary in Reach. I might even pay the same for the Legendary edition (which was about $200, probably more because of the weak dollar). Ya hear me, Bungie. Good money!

Louis Wu

Ramirez said:
Your story was pretty sweet btw Frank. :)

*insert random comment of me cock gobbling Frankie by gaffers*
Oh, what a marvelous world (and how much more satisfied nerds would be overall) if a simple compliment automatically meant a session of cock-gobbling...

Hmm... on second thought, I might never compliment anyone again. :(

Gui_PT

Louis Wu said:
Oh, what a marvelous world (and how much more satisfied nerds would be overall) if a simple compliment automatically meant a session of cock-gobbling...

Oh Louis Wu, you are so awesom..... hheeeyy, wait a minute, I almost gobbled it =\

feel

vhfive said:
i love firefly and i think nathan fillion is awesome. that being said i didn't like buck and i cringed whenever i saw him and dare interact
I agree. His dramatic and over-exaggerated toy story animations.. uuugh. But the character had potential. And the voice is great. It was just badly executed, and his suckyness at hog turret manning didn't help.

vhfive said:
Agreed, the "history" of the two of them was really poorly written and didn't really contribute anything to the storyline. I know he was going for a noir-ish feel where the main protagonist always has a special ladyfriend, but the fine line between noir and cliched cheese was definitely crossed.

With all the talk of the commentaries, I went searching for my disc only to realize it still has the plastic over it, I remember seeing some of the cutscenes though. :/

Kilroy

You are in for a treat, CrazedArabMan. Hearing Jason Jones talking about level design as "Awesomeness will ensue" still makes me giggle. Which reminds me, I have the commentary lying just ontop of my DVD-player. I've planned to see it. Perhaps tomorrow.

Kilroy said:
You are in for a treat, CrazedArabMan. Hearing Jason Jones talking about level design as "Awesomeness will ensue" still makes me giggle. Which reminds me, I have the commentary lying just ontop of my DVD-player. I've planned to see it. Perhaps tomorrow.

I'm just finishing it up now, on the H2 credits, it was really good and funny. I would love for them to do the same for Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

We all love Johnson and his Lightbulb. :lol

big ander

Chorazin said:
I thought Buck was at Reach and escaped, I coulda sworn he mentioned something about it in ODST. Might be my mind playing tricks on me though.
He was. I'm expecting a small NPC part, similar to what Fillion had in Halo 3.

Ramirez

Louis Wu said:

You never know around here, just covering my tracks.

Isn't Bungie suppose to be moving into their new office this month?

Kind of related, but today I decided to rewatch the video "7 Steps to World Domination" from the legendary edition, and it's possible Jason Jones told us something about Reach or the new IP (don't know if Jason is working on Reach or not).

Towards the end of the video, the people at Bungie talk about the future of the company. Then it gets to Jason, and he says, "I'm trying to recreate some of that wandering we did at the beginning of Halo 1 and we did at the beginning of Pathways."

Could be nothing, just something interesting to note.

Dax01 said:
Towards the end of the video, the people at Bungie talk about the future of the company. Then it gets to Jason, and he says, "I'm trying to recreate some of that wandering we did at the beginning of Halo 1 and we did at the beginning of Pathways."

I would assume that he was talking about ODST, no?

Dax01 said:
Jason didn't work on ODST, though.
Hmm, well if Reach is anything like it is in the book, then there are a lot of wide open ranges in the landscape. I don't think that they would have started Reach by the time halo 3 shipped though. They should have just been in the designing phase.

Popeck

I too would want to see or even pay extra for a Halo 3 / ODST commentary. I loved the Halo 3 Legendary Edition's commentary. So great little tidbits and secrets about the development process, and of course, the jokes. Super.

Kibbles

Dax01 said:
Isn't Bungie suppose to be moving into their new office this month?

Kind of related, but today I decided to rewatch the video "7 Steps to World Domination" from the legendary edition, and it's possible Jason Jones told us something about Reach or the new IP (don't know if Jason is working on Reach or not).

Well according to Tom Morello
the first mission is very similar to the first mission of Halo
so it could be.

clashfan said:
Is Jones the tech guy at Bungie? I've always though he was Bungie's Carmack.
Well, iirc he was the lead engineer (perhaps only at the time) programmer who formed the company along with Seropian.
So I guess a Carmack comparision isn't too bad.

'Cept you know, Carmack interacts with his fans.
:'-(

Oozer3993

+1 for more Staten/Jones/O'Donnell commentaries. The ones in the H3 Legendary edition were awesome. In fact, due to all this jibber-jabber, I think I'm going to watch them again tonight.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am lost as to which magazines I should be buying to get the early look at Reach, does anybody know? Also, does anybody have the specific dates on which the magazines will show up?

NOKYARD

Zeouterlimits said:
?
It's part of the Legendary Editon of Halo 3. The Extra DVD had the remastered cutscenes and a commentary featuring the 3 guys.
Best Buy was out of the Legendary Edition when i bought the game. Certainly was not going to wait a week for them to get it in. No one i know has it. SoL i guess.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
godhandiscen said:
I am lost as to which magazines I should be buying to get the early look at Reach, does anybody know? Also, does anybody have the specific dates on which the magazines will show up?

No clue, I'm guessing next week-ish.

What's more important is why haven't the European magazines leaked their Reach goodies? They're always on top of that asap.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Captain Blood said:
A friend of mine and I went to a local bookstore that was closing and something caught my eye.
halo-encyclopedia.jpg

Picked it up 40% off for $24. I know it is on amazon for 26 but I was still pretty excited about it.

A bit lttp but holy shit bought.

This should hold me over nicely til ME2. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn, I bought the normal edition of Halo 3 and haven't seen any of extra bonus stuff. I'M SO SAD

Kilroy

You should be able to find it somewhat cheap in stores that sells used games. The Bestiarium is quite interesting, but the real gold is the videos. Seven steps to world domination, the video where Jen Taylor visits Halo fans and of course the commentaries.
"Bob O'Donnell, Marty's dad!"
"Aslo known as the surly dwarf in Myth."

godhandiscen said:
You could not buy any magazines and read the information that comes from other people on GAF. :p

Top Bottom