• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dax01 said:
Everything we've seen suggests some sort of class-based MP, thus the traditional Team Slayer probably won't apply.

We haven't seen or heard anything regarding MP. All of Tom Morello's leaks were taken from Campaign, same goes with all the official footage Bungie and Microsoft have released.

We'll find out mid-January about all of this, though.

edit: Oh and I thought this was neat: https://www.cmpevents.com/GD10/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=190490

One of the Leads at Bungie speaking at GDC 2010 about gameplay mechanics and the title of his speech is "Changing the Time Between Shots for the Sniper Rifle from 0.5 to 0.7 Seconds for Halo 3."

Considering TM's leak about a longer delay between shots in the Reach Sniper, we might see a whole second delay between each Sniper shot.

Arnie

Frenck said:
I like the scenario that you described. The player character wouldn't even need to participate in the conversation and he could be adressed by other characters who acknowledge that he's the silent protagonist. The Half-Life series does this pretty well but it gets old very fast in my opinion. Two or three of these scenes would be perfect to slow down the pace and satisfy the the hardcore fans but anything more than that would be annoying.
Agreed. They could use the dialogue to introduce the next mission without having to go to a conventional loading screen, similar to GRAW.
Dax01 said:
Um, no. Suggests isn't the same thing as "assuming."
Clever replies aside, you have attempted to identify Reach's multiplayer component based on a wallpaper and a singleplayer trailer. There is a fair amount of assumption going on there.

Arnie said:
Clever replies aside, you have attempted to identify Reach's multiplayer component based on a wallpaper and a singleplayer trailer. There is a fair amount of assumption going on there.
No I haven't. My purpose was to say that, given how we don't know anything about Reach's multiplayer, there's no point in talking about the way a gametype should be given that it may or may not be in the game as we know it.

Domino Theory said:
Considering TM's leak about a longer delay between shots in the Reach Sniper, we might see a whole second delay between each Sniper shot.
Good.

Arnie

Dax01 said:
No I haven't. My purpose was to say that, given how we don't know anything about Reach's multiplayer, there's no point in talking about the way a gametype should be given that it may or may not be in the game as we know it.
Well excuse me for speculating about gametypes. I forgot that Halo Reach is a class based multiplayer game. However, I'm going to assume that Bungie isn't going to throw all the work they have done on Halo 2 and 3 out the window to create Halo-field. Personally I expect Reach to be a continuation of the franchise Bungie have created, not a complete departure, especially on their last attempt. Should they release Halo-field as the mass of media we have received suggests and the fans don't like it (which let's be honest, they won't) then it is a sad way for Bungie to end their Halo legacy.

Arnie said:
Well excuse me for speculating about gametypes.
My speculation was that your speculation wasn't speculation!:lol :p
Personally I expect Reach to be a continuation of the franchise Bungie have created, not a complete departure, especially on their last attempt. Should they release Halo-field as the mass of media we have received suggests and the fans don't like it (which let's be honest, they won't) then it is a sad way for Bungie to end their Halo legacy.
I've learned from ODST. With the whole SI deal, what I was thinking it would be (XBLA platformer) turned out to be something entirely different, maybe even a little deceptive because SI's appearance and the way it raised awareness was done so well, than what the game really was.

Am I the only Halo fan who sees absolutely no reason not to insert ADS into the game? I really feel as if it's become a standard and for a good reason. To me it increases immersion with the gunplay.

I'm a huge fan of the traditional Halo mechanics but I have to admit that Halo-Duty would pretty much be a perfect game. I'm reading the Halo books right now and having more of the Spartans abilities translating to the game would be awesome. I'm not asking for killstreaks or anything...just the simple addition of ADS and sprint I think could take the game to the next level. It'd still be Halo because the game would still be based on weapon pickups and map control.

CrazedArabMan said:
No, bad, the time between shots in H3 was just fine, too much of a delay would be really annoying, especially one whole second.
This. A whole second would be rediculous. They already added time and recoil to the Halo 3 sniper. It is still the only weapon in the Trilogy with recoil. Wtf is that about.

some crazy ass person said:
Halo-Duty
No.

Dark FaZe said:
Am I the only Halo fan who sees absolutely no reason not to insert ADS into the game? I really feel as if it's become a standard and for a good reason. To me it increases immersion with the gunplay.

I'm a huge fan of the traditional Halo mechanics but I have to admit that Halo-Duty would pretty much be a perfect game. I'm reading the Halo books right now and having more of the Spartans abilities translating to the game would be awesome. I'm not asking for killstreaks or anything...just the simple addition of ADS and sprint I think could take the game to the next level. It'd still be Halo because the game would still be based on weapon pickups and map control.
Why would you need to aim down the sights when your armor can give you a targeting reticule that perfectly syncs up to where you're aiming? That's one of the abilities of the MJOLNIR suits specifically mentioned in the books. When you have that, there's no need to aim down the sights.

I'm not a fan of the Aim down sights mechanic as a whole for on simple reason: It slows down the game. Battlefield or Call of Duty being examples where this applies. It takes time to bring up the sight, you are slowed down (for accuracy presumably) and this in general slows down the game, to the point where its beneficial to stay in an area and have your aim up ready for an opponent.

It's one of the reason I enjoy the Halo games so much! I don't have to slow down to shoot, I can strafe around, jump, even with the sniper and all the while I know my shots are going to hit where I'm aiming. Its quicker and I find it takes more skill to aim like this.

Just a humble opinion and preference, but keep ADS outta Halo :D

EazyB

Banned
Dark FaZe said:

Sprinting is all fine and good. ADS just restricts movement and makes 1v1 (or really any) firefights much more boring.

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Arnie said:
I hope Shishka gets to the final but is forced to play Shwatguns. Taste of his own medicine.

That'd be great. The only thing better than having my name on the cup is having my name on the cup twice.

EazyB said:
Sprinting is all fine and good. ADS just restricts movement and makes 1v1 (or really any) firefights much more boring.

Having the ability to ADS doesn't mean that hip fired shots have to be inaccurate. Imagine the current system in place except that when you zoom with the BR instead of getting the circle zoom you quickly aim down the sights of an ACOG scope. It's simply a matter of immersion.

As for slowing the game down adding sprint would negate any slowdown that ADS adds.

All of this is highly unlikely but it's just something I thought could work very well. I look forward to seeing what Bungie does with Reach to add a fresh coat of paint to Halo.

I'm assuming there is new footage of Halo: Reach... that will hopefully be shown soon because currently they are showing something during the Microsoft CES conference.

I was just watching the stream and as they booted up the Halo Reach trailer they put up a still saying they aren't showing the footage over the stream.

big ander

UltimaPooh said:
I'm assuming there is new footage of Halo: Reach... that will hopefully be shown soon because currently they are showing something during the Microsoft CES conference.

I was just watching the stream and as they booted up the Halo Reach trailer they put up a still saying they aren't showing the footage over the stream.
Waiting for press write-up...
Excited :D

EDIT:
OuterWorldVoice said:
Dreams: crushed.

Even ignoring the atrocious voice acting, the writing quality of audio logs in ODST were, in general, a massive step down from the terminals. The terminals were extremely well done; much better than the main game, in fact.

The ODST logs, however, were just plain awful (although the paintings were pretty cool). The story was eh and didn't really go anywhere, with the exception of interactions between Vergil and Sadie. The VA, as previously mentioned was wretched, and the script itself was painful. It was especially bad during "funny" moments, like threatening the cop at the NMPD. By the end, I wasn't even playing them anymore, just because they were so hard to listen to.

If Bungie is going to do this again for Reach, they need to hire better writers and REALLY need to hire better voice actors (actually, hiring uneven voice talent one of my problems with Bungie in general); otherwise, all the impact of logs are taken out.

Bioshock shows mofo's how it's done

Thagomizer said:
Even ignoring the atrocious voice acting, the writing quality of audio logs in ODST were, in general, a massive step down from the terminals. The terminals were extremely well done; much better than the main game, in fact.

The ODST logs, however, were just plain awful (although the paintings were pretty cool). The story was eh and didn't really go anywhere, with the exception of interactions between Vergil and Sadie. The VA, as previously mentioned was wretched, and the script itself was painful. It was especially bad during "funny" moments, like threatening the cop at the NMPD. By the end, I wasn't even playing them anymore, just because they were so hard to listen to.

If Bungie is going to do this again for Reach, they need to hire better writers and REALLY need to hire better voice actors (actually, hiring uneven voice talent one of my problems with Bungie in general); otherwise, all the impact of logs are taken out.

Bioshock shows mofo's how it's done

This. I didn't want to bring it up because I bought ODST late and must have missed all the talk surrounding the audio logs, but I couldn't listen to more than maybe 3 or 4 of them. The voice acting was just terrible. Downright terrible. I just used a guide to collect them all and didn't bother listening to any of them. I think ODST is the first game I've played where audio logs made me do that.

Nutter

Stormtrooper30 said:
This. A whole second would be rediculous. They already added time and recoil to the Halo 3 sniper. It is still the only weapon in the Trilogy with recoil. Wtf is that about.

No.
You need to play more halo. :p

Striker

Arnie said:
Well excuse me for speculating about gametypes. I forgot that Halo Reach is a class based multiplayer game. However, I'm going to assume that Bungie isn't going to throw all the work they have done on Halo 2 and 3 out the window to create Halo-field. Personally I expect Reach to be a continuation of the franchise Bungie have created, not a complete departure, especially on their last attempt. Should they release Halo-field as the mass of media we have received suggests and the fans don't like it (which let's be honest, they won't) then it is a sad way for Bungie to end their Halo legacy.
To some people, speculating in a "Halo Reach Speculation and Reveal Thread" is simply overbearing.
shakehead.gif

How about Team Slayer.... AND Team BRs.
Or the better system being Team BRs being a subset of Team Slayer.

Actually if you could have a playlist for both but in Team Slayer it searches through the Team BRs games too. So that Team BRs would actually be a subset of Team Slayer but you could choose it if you wanted BRs exclusively.
Is this a bad idea?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
am i the only one that found the audio logs in odst beyond cheesy?

Frenck

Banned
op_ivy said:
am i the only one that found the audio logs in odst beyond cheesy?

I found most of them in New Mombasa. Maybe I should have ventured beyond cheesy because there are still a few missing.

Gribbix

So I came across this background image on Game Informer's website last night before it was removed:
kIuWJ.jpg

The page it was on has been taken down but it had a placeholder article dated January 9th which I assume is when they'll post the Halo Reach cover.

Ramirez

Gribbix said:
So I came across this background image on Game Informer's website last night before it was removed:
[IM]http://imgur.com/kIuWJ.jpg[/IMG]

The page it was on has been taken down but it had a placeholder article dated January 9th which I assume is when they'll post the Halo Reach cover.

Halo CE Pistol, OM NOM NOM.

ADS adds NOTHING to Halo, it would make it even slower than it already has become, I want Halo 2 speed brought back!

Gribbix said:
http://imgur.com/kIuWJ.jpg[/IM

The page it was on has been taken down but it had a placeholder article dated January 9th which I assume is when they'll post the Halo Reach cover.[/QUOTE]
Purty.

Also, I found this in the ODST thread, but since it has to deal with Reach, I'll respond do it hear.

[QUOTE=Mojo]Killstreaks - Okay I'm joking with this one, but imagine getting a 25 killstreak and activating a Halo ring, killing everyone and ending the game :P[/QUOTE]
Instead of making the Halo array similar to how a nuke works in MW2, Bungie should develop a gametype around this idea. It'd work very similar to Assault in past Halo games, but I think the design and the idea better suits Halo.

Gribbix said:
http://imgur.com/kIuWJ.jpg[IMG]

The page it was on has been taken down but it had a placeholder article dated January 9th which I assume is when they'll post the Halo Reach cover.[/QUOTE]
Nice catch dude!

EazyB

Banned
Nice catch, man.

Ramirez said:
Halo CE Pistol, OM NOM NOM.

ADS adds NOTHING to Halo, it would make it even slower than it already has become, I want Halo 2 speed brought back!
I don't think there's any visual difference between the CE pistol and the Halo 3 pistol. Don't get your hopes up. Would be pretty goofy to have one guys main weapon be a pistol if it was as shitty as the Halo 3 one though.

Arnie

Sir Fragula said:
lawl. What's wrong with a spartan scratching up his mjolnir, he's angsty. Perhaps that individual Spartan is still having sharp side affects from the treatment, causing him to foster a particularly anarchistic streak.

Something about the artwork looks a little wonky to me. Like the Spartans seem to lack purpose in the picture whilst some of their stances look strangely odd. Take angsty for example, his AR seems at such an awkward angle.

Top Bottom