• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

NOKYARD

Louis Wu said:
That's crazy talk!

No really! My GF and i came to an understanding several years ago. Money does not pass through our computer keyboards (other than on-line bill payments). If we can't hand cash to another human, we don't buy it. If it weren't for Best Buy, EB Games, MS Points and XBL Gold Cards, i'd be reading a book right now.

and, for the first time since "Into the belly of the beast" on Legendary, i am stuck in a video game. In Marathon 2: Durandal i have one blip of oxygen left and i have just started level 19 This Side Toward Enemy, a water level. The last Oxygen Recharge Station is 7 levels back. :lol

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
NOKYARD said:
and, for the first time since "Into the belly of the beast" on Legendary, i am stuck in a video game. In Marathon 2: Durandal i have one blip of oxygen left and i have just started level 19 This Side Toward Enemy, a water level. The last Oxygen Recharge Station is 7 levels back. :lol

Are you playing AlephOne or XBLA? The next air recharge is a decent amount of time into that level (~5mintues of playtime) and you have to do a couple completely water-filled areas before you can reach it.

I think if you're playing the XBLA version you can just start another campaign on "The Big House" which will be right behind where you're currently at. Not sure if AlephOne has that option.

~B.B.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dax01 said:
You could not buy any magazines and read the information that comes from other people on GAF. :p
Yeah no...

I like to buy at least one magazine with the info reveal of each Halo entry.

Arnie

Finally, my ban is over.

I wasn't able to post during the post Reach trailer impression-athon, however I thought the trailer was excellent. Immediately Bungie revealed that Reach would have a greater focus on the expanded fiction than any of the other numbered Halo titles, which to me is something that was lacking.

In terms of who your team are, I don't believe they are a second class of Spartan 2s, my belief is that they are all, with exception of the mighty Jorge, Spartan 3s. Firstly the size difference. Unless Jorge is abnormally tall, the rest are significantly smaller, more in line with an ODST. Furthermore, how else would Jorge himself know about Pergasi? Like the Ghost of Onyx proved, the UNSC don't like to make a song and dance about any Spartans death, let alone tell a group of Spartan 2s about the mass killing of three hundred Spartan 3s. It just seems contradictory to what the expanded fiction has taught us, a fiction with an increased relevance if the trailer is to be believed. My guess is that the team, bar your character, are a group of Spartan 3s who didn't partake in the Pergasi mission. They may not have even been trained by Colonel Mendez or Kurt. Oni have a lot of secrets.

With the discussion of magazine features this month, I would like to draw your attention to something I unearthed on twitter, sorry if already posted.

Game Informer's Andy Mac, "The new issue is off to the printers. Another fantastic issue if I do say so myself. Should start arriving around January 10th-ish"

In response, someone called Zereta asked, "This 'new' issue has anything to do with Halo:Reach maybe? :)"

Andy Mac responded with this rather telling hint, "what an interesting question. Shame I can't answer it. But I will say that is an excellent question."

So it seems some further Reach goodness could be surfacing as soon as the 10th. All we need now is some cryptic Urk post such as "Interesting.".

Rad-

Is Electronic Theatre a BS site? Because they are reporting that UK retailers have confirmed the Reach EU release date and it's September 24th.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
You could not buy any magazines and read the information that comes from other people on GAF. :p

Unless...there's a GAF magazine in the works. How blown is your mind?

Kibbles

Halo: Reach is confirmed for OXM UK. I saw a scan online of the "Next Month" part it shows Halo: Reach and Fallout: New Vegas.

[edit] Err, it says issue on sale February 11th.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Pudding Tame said:
I would too, but only if it was actually informative. I'm looking at you, "Halo 2 Making of" documentary.

Especially if it comes with the surround sound check with the Grunt and Hunter.

"Speaker over THERE"....."Speaker over THERE!!"..."CENTER speaker!!"

I'm not ashamed to say I was greatly entertained by that. Probably listened to it 10 times or so.

~B.B.

Oozer3993

Kilroy said:
You should be able to find it somewhat cheap in stores that sells used games. The Bestiarium is quite interesting, but the real gold is the videos. Seven steps to world domination, the video where Jen Taylor visits Halo fans and of course the commentaries.
"Bob O'Donnell, Marty's dad!"
"Aslo known as the surly dwarf in Myth."

"Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness ensues."

"And that was the 3rd time Marty saved Halo 1."

P.S. I was ruminating upon what little we know about Reach in search of anything that might have gone through the cracks and I found this possibly meaningful connection: Some of the license plates from ODST appear to mention Gamma Squad. In the Halo: Reach announcement trailer, we hear from a Gamma Station. It might just be a coincidence, but maybe, just maybe, it might be something.

LTTP: Halopedia. My. Fucking. God. Best. Wikia. EVER. Seriously. I'm going to link that the next time some troll says Halo has a "simple" story.

EazyB

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
LTTP: Halopedia. My. Fucking. God. Best. Wikia. EVER. Seriously. I'm going to link that the next time some troll says Halo has a "simple" story.
Yeah, those dumbasses probably made the mistake of playing the games instead of reading the books. :lol

Arnie

Opus Angelorum said:
Welcome back, Arnie.
Thanks bro.
Dax01 said:
ou could not buy any magazines and read the information that comes from other people on GAF. :p
If you buy magazines solely for the purpose of gaining information you're doing it wrong.
Kibbles said:
Halo: Reach is confirmed for OXM UK. I saw a scan online of the "Next Month" part it shows Halo: Reach and Fallout: New Vegas.

[edit] Err, it says issue on sale February 11th.
Don't fear, I'm sure we will get something very soon. Chances are whatever OXM UK have will likely be old news to us anyway. Honestly, coming from the UK, their editorial output is fairly weak. I'm betting the Reach press event was quite a wide thing with a couple of magazines getting exclusive first reveals.

Gui_PT

clashfan said:
I hope Bungie adds to Reach an area's where you can walk around and talk to NPC's.

2md56rd.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
clashfan said:
I hope Bungie adds to Reach an area's where you can walk around and talk to NPC's.

Out of curiosity, why?

I'm sure there could be ramifications to different ways of storytelling, but such a large break in the actions are usually still told in-game while the mission is at a temporary lull. I can't really see a major FPS title breaking up the action this way.

Arnie

clashfan said:
I'l put this with iron sights in the do not want section. Can Spartans hold an intellectual conversation anyway? Also with Bungie's track record of playable characters, it's likely the Spartan 3 you play will be mute.

Frenck

Banned
A base of operations that you return to once in a while would be nice but I don't know how that's supposed to work in game like Reach.

clashfan

Metroidvania said:
Out of curiosity, why?

I'm sure there could be ramifications to different ways of storytelling, but such a large break in the actions are usually still told in-game while the mission is at a temporary lull. I can't really see a major FPS title breaking up the action this way.

I want to be immerse in the world of Halo more. I've always found the Halo universe interesting but we don't see much of it in the game.

Gui_PT

Maybe they could put the books in the game, somewhere hidden. And when you found them, you could just sit down and read. Kinda like Oblivion

Metroidvania

Gui_PT said:
Maybe they could put the books in the game, somewhere hidden. And when you found them, you could just sit down and read. Kinda like Oblivion

They already tried that with the terminals in 3. Didn't work out so well for them, at least, from the vast majority opinion I've seen among the internet.

ODST's "story within a story" was certainly interesting in the insight it gave us to the Superintendant and why the basement where Virgil was located was all icy, but as far as a narrative, for me, at least, it wasn't the most grabbing.

Gui_PT

Metroidvania said:
They already tried that with the terminals in 3. Didn't work out so well for them, at least, from the vast majority opinion I've seen among the internet.

ODST's "story within a story" was certainly interesting in the insight it gave us to the Superintendant and why the basement where Virgil was located was all icy, but as far as a narrative, for me, at least, it wasn't the most grabbing.

How the hell did you take that post seriously? :lol

I actually liked the Terminals in Halo 3. The Audio Logs were awesome in ODST though.

Frenck

Banned
Arnie said:
I'l put this with iron sights in the do not want section. Can Spartans hold an intellectual conversation anyway? Also with Bungie's track record of playable characters, it's likely the Spartan 3 you play will be mute.

Intellectual conversations aren't that much of a problem for someone like the Master Chief who has his own AI and even friends like Johnson. I guess the Master Chief made a lot of progress when it comes to social interaction since the events of FoR because he spent a lot of time away from his squad among regular Marines.

The other Spartans are social and emotive amongst themselves too, in their own way, but I doubt that they would see the need to hold a conversation about topics that are not related to their current mission or their continued training and education.

Of course the Reach reveal showed that the Spartans in Reach aren't exactly what we would call regular Spartans.

Arnie

clashfan said:
I want to be immerse in the world of Halo more. I've always found the Halo universe interesting but we don't see much of it in the game.
Did you go around chatting to NPCs in Bioshock? How about Half Life 2. The environment is the best non playable character for immersing the player.
Frenck said:
Intellectual conversations aren't that much of a problem for someone like the Master Chief who has his own AI and even friends like Johnson. I guess the Master Chief made a lot of progress when it comes to social interaction since the events of FoR because he spent a lot of time away from his squad among regular Marines.

The other Spartans are social and emotive amongst themselves too, in their own way, but I doubt that they would see the need to hold a conversation about topics that are not related to their current mission or their continued training and education.

Of course the Reach reveal showed that the Spartans in Reach aren't exactly what we would call regular Spartans.
Yes I agree, however the character whom the player is assumed to be playing as does not show any signs of braking free from the typical Bungie tradition of muteness. In this case I don't see how these sort of conversational sequences could take place. Perhaps between missions if you stayed in a first person perspective whilst in a transport vehicle with your squad of Spartans talking. Similar to the opening of The Silent Cartographer except with dialogue.

Metroidvania

Gui_PT said:
How the hell did you take that post seriously? :lol

I actually liked the Terminals in Halo 3. The Audio Logs were awesome in ODST though.

True enough, but I've seen weirder suggestions from people in this thread who have defended their posts with almost vitriolic fervor.

feel

Domino Theory said:
Fixed and agreed.
:)

NO!!
Just Team Slayer, no variations. With the battle rifle primary and an assault rifle secondary. A single perfect deathmatch default variant we would get everytime we went into a slayer hopper. That would be nice. Probably too much to ask though.

Arnie

Letters said:

NO!!
Just Team Slayer, no variations. With the battle rifle primary and an assault rifle secondary. A single perfect deathmatch default variant we would get everytime we went into a slayer hopper. That would be nice. Probably too much to ask though.
This would finally give the AR some tactical advantage in battle. If the new BR is single shot, I imagine it will be less reliable at mid-short range than the current one. This would present the AR with it's moment to shine. However, I do feel the AR needs tweaking to inject some level of aiming proficiency into the way it is used. It may as well be an SMG the way it is now.

Letters said:

NO!!
Everything we've seen suggests some sort of class-based MP, thus the traditional Team Slayer probably won't apply.

Frenck

Banned
Arnie said:
Yes I agree, however the character whom the player is assumed to be playing as does not show any signs of braking free from the typical Bungie tradition of muteness. In this case I don't see how these sort of conversational sequences could take place. Perhaps between missions if you stayed in a first person perspective whilst in a transport vehicle with your squad of Spartans talking. Similar to the opening of The Silent Cartographer except with dialogue.

I like the scenario that you described. The player character wouldn't even need to participate in the conversation and he could be adressed by other characters who acknowledge that he's the silent protagonist. The Half-Life series does this pretty well but it gets old very fast in my opinion. Two or three of these scenes would be perfect to slow down the pace and satisfy the the hardcore fans but anything more than that would be annoying.

Why For?

Banned
I don't think people would have hated the terminals much if they didn't make you find them for an achievement.

Nothing wrong with them being there as an option to read up on some info.

The audio logs in ODST were perfection though. They wouldn't work well in a normal Halo game mostly because you don't have the quiet isolation factor that you do in ODST.

Top Bottom