• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

GhaleonEB said:
Couldn't have put it better myself. Those maps are stunning, and I'm particularly excited about the one where you go outside the ship for a low-g section. Reminds me of the first level of Halo 2, and might be a hint of a mission from Campaign.
Corroborated by that "MLG" leak last year.
11537_324540340726_540780726_9649607_2929752_n.jpg

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm very impressed with what Bungie brought to the table with Reach. It looks like they're really knocking it out of the park. Ivory Tower looks fucking awesome, but I still hold out hope for a Headlong remake in some DLC down the road. Until then, I can't wait to tackle Forge World and some of the other things they're bringing in.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Those maps are stunning, and I'm particularly excited about the one where you go outside the ship for a low-g section. Reminds me of the first level of Halo 2, and might be a hint of a mission from Campaign. All three maps look just stunning in both art and fidelity. I added a link to it in the OP if anyone is looking for it.
If the freaky gravity tricks seen in the Forge World Vidoc hint at anything in campaign, I think it's that we'll be encountering space/time bending Forerunner technology in the core of Reach, not out-of-ship zero gravity. Both are likely, but the vidoc made it look like more than simply floating around in zero-g.

I thought Bungie weren't going to have any DLC for Reach.

They don't want to split the community with map packs, like what happened with Halo 3. New maps can be supplied via Forge, and easily rotated into match making for everyone. The fact that ODST came with all the maps, seemed like an attempt to try and standardise the map set across Halo 3's multiplayer. Why would they split the Reach users when they have this amazing tool that can provide infinite map variations? I'm pretty sure any maps they did release via DLC would be replicated by forgers pretty quickly, with the new phasing physics, it's a lot easier than in Halo 3.

The "definitive Halo game". Not the "definitive Halo game, providing you buy new maps further down the line".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love the idea of a new Forge World as DLC, but I'm not really a huge fan of the Covenant aesthetic. It's cool in campaign as part of a narrative, but I don't really enjoy it in matchmaking.

Oh, and where's the Ivory Tower remake that everyone's talking about? Were screens or vids shown??

Dead Man Typing said:
Why would they split the Reach users when they have this amazing tool that can provide infinite map variations?

Infinite map variations in the same green world with the same Forerunner building bricks.

DLC = radically different visual styles for a kick in the eyeballs.

feel

omg.kittens said:
If the freaky gravity tricks seen in the Forge World Vidoc hint at anything in campaign, I think it's that we'll be encountering space/time bending Forerunner technology in the core of Reach, not out-of-ship zero gravity. Both are likely, but the vidoc made it look like more than simply floating around in zero-g.
Sorry about the dreamcrushing but that was just an example of an optical illusion some awesome forgers created in Halo 3 by tilting the map at a perfect angle so wall and floor are both "walkable". They're pretty cool to fight in, it really feels like people are running up walls and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeYRpanyPM

Leckan

Am I the only one who wants bots? The ability to fool around with them without paying for XBL is for me a great feature. Especially when we consider that Bungie games usually have pretty good AI. I know it won't happen since they don't have time and MS don't want to give any incentives to those that don't pay, but some other games where the online is free there are bots.

Adding bots would be the cherry on the cake for me but I know it will never happen.

Leckan said:
Am I the only one who wants bots? The ability to fool around with them without paying for XBL is for me a great feature. Especially when we consider that Bungie games usually have pretty good AI. I know it won't happen since they don't have time and MS don't want to give any incentives to those that don't pay, but some other games where the online is free there are bots.

Adding bots would be the cherry on the cake for me but I know it will never happen.

Firefight is playable offline.

I know it's not the exact same thing, but it's a bot-based online mode.

Gui_PT

Leckan said:

Firefight

soldat7

Dead Man Typing said:
I thought Bungie weren't going to have any DLC for Reach.

They don't want to split the community with map packs, like what happened with Halo 3. New maps can be supplied via Forge, and easily rotated into match making for everyone. The fact that ODST came with all the maps, seemed like an attempt to try and standardise the map set across Halo 3's multiplayer. Why would they split the Reach users when they have this amazing tool that can provide infinite map variations? I'm pretty sure any maps they did release via DLC would be replicated by forgers pretty quickly, with the new phasing physics, it's a lot easier than in Halo 3.

The "definitive Halo game". Not the "definitive Halo game, providing you buy new maps further down the line".

I don't want maps from Forge as our only avenue for new maps. I want bonafide map packs from Bungie. Fortunately, for those that agree with me, this is a very likely $cenario.

Gui_PT

Plywood said:
I think he meant outside of Firefight, like if you could toss bots into MP maps.

Eh, even though Bungie can create good AI, I don't think that'd work in MP. Too many variants to consider.

Sai-kun

Banned
rar said:
YOU POINTED OUT THAT THE NEWS MAPS ARE UGLY, AND BY PURE COINCIDENCE, SO IS YOUR AVATAR!

Sorry, caps.

I know I'll be stuck in the menus for like an hour when I get the game, trying to decide what to do first!

I said it on the first page, but I'll say it again. Every Halo map ever created will be Forged in Reach. Some will be harder than others, some will be incredibly easy. The best ones will bubble to the top and Bungie will pick up on them, see how perfect they are/make minor alterations, and put them into matchmaking. Believe.

Falagard

Letters said:
Sorry about the dreamcrushing but that was just an example of an optical illusion some awesome forgers created in Halo 3 by tilting the map at a perfect angle so wall and floor are both "walkable". They're pretty cool to fight in, it really feels like people are running up walls and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeYRpanyPM

Sorry, you're wrong. There is clearly gravity manipulation going on in two spots in the Vidoc.

The most obvious spot is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII#t=4m57s

When he jumps, the wall that he is looking at as he moves forward becomes the platform he lands on under his feet (his orientation changes).

EazyB

Banned
Church RvB said:
I said it on the first page, but I'll say it again. Every Halo map ever created will be Forged in Reach. Some will be harder than others, some will be incredibly easy. The best ones will bubble to the top and Bungie will pick up on them, see how perfect they are/make minor alterations, and put them into matchmaking. Believe.
Uh, yeah...

I know they Shishka said their strategy for making finding good maps for MM is to wait for them to bubble up to the top but I was really hoping they'd have a much better approach this time around. Maybe they just haven't detailed their true selection process yet but it's my biggest concern as far as the relevance of forge is concerned, and they've done nothing to ease these doubts.

Shake Appeal said:
It's always been obvious that many of the forgehub members value "pro-forging skills" over actual map qualities but that thread just spells it out perfectly. They value geomerging not because it aids in cleaning up a map and making it play better but because of how hard it is to do and it's a easy way to distinguish a forge-veteran from a novice. The result of having the phase is the same as painstakingly glitching a box into place, it's just everyone should be able to do it now and it upsets them. I can see being disappointed that Reach just has a glorified H3 Forge system lacking a lot of depth/tools that real map editors have but this shit is typical forgehub.

Falagard said:
Farcry uses a heightmapped terrain system, where the terrain consists of a regular grid of points. The points always stay the same distance apart when viewed from above, but each point can be raised or lowered to create terrain (their height changes). Most heightmapped terrain systems in the past wouldn't allow things like caves or overhangs unless they were extra geometry pieces that sat on top of the heightmapped terrain. Crysis had new tech that allowed caves, with certain limitation - probably based on metaballs / marching cubes algorithm where the terrain is converted from a heightmap into a volumetric space.
Really nice explanations. I've messed around with Crysis's voxel painter but I'm still having trouble with some of the aspects. That and the solid tool have had the steepest learning curve for me. Really cool tech though.

Hey You

Church RvB said:
I'm hoping. And more than the 3 months of Community maps we got with Atlas.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:
Sorry, you're wrong. There is clearly gravity manipulation going on in two spots in the Vidoc.

The most obvious spot is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII#t=4m57s

When he jumps, the wall that he is looking at as he moves forward becomes the platform he lands on under his feet (his orientation changes).
Yeah, it's not simple angle/optical illusions. There's definitely some legit, intentional gravity tricks going on here.

My question is: what does it mean for campaign (if anything)? I suspect we'll be encountering time/space warping technology like in The Fall of Reach novel.

Oh, and I found those Reflection screens. How the hell did I miss that? :lol So damn gorgeous. Distinctly different than the rest of the normal Halo aesthetic, which is nice for a change.

EazyB said:
It's always been obvious that many of the forgehub members value "pro-forging skills" over actual map qualities but that thread just spells it out perfectly. They value geomerging not because it aids in cleaning up a map and making it play better but because of how hard it is to do and it's a easy way to distinguish a forge-veteran from a novice. The result of having the phase is the same as painstakingly glitching a box into place, it's just everyone should be able to do it now and it upsets them. I can see being disappointed that Reach just has a glorified H3 Forge system lacking a lot of depth/tools that real map editors have but this shit is typical forgehub.

And that is part of the reason why I'm not active there anymore. The main reason I left is pretty much because all the good Forgers get all the attention and rewards, and all the other people get shafted. I understand that obviously being good at Forge will bring more attention to anything else you make, but I think they take it way too far at FH.

-Yeti said:
And that is part of the reason why I'm not active there anymore. The main reason I left is pretty much because all the good Forgers get all the attention and rewards, and all the other people get shafted. I understand that obviously being good at Forge will bring more attention to anything else you make, but I think they take it way too far at FH.

And ultimately 99% of Halo players never even see their maps anway. :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gui_PT said:
Eh, even though Bungie can create good AI, I don't think that'd work in MP. Too many variants to consider.
Yeah I could imagine people's different forge variants causing problems with the AI.

Top Bottom