• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

omg.kittens said:
Yeah, it's not simple angle/optical illusions. There's definitely some legit, intentional gravity tricks going on here.

My question is: what does it mean for campaign (if anything)? I suspect we'll be encountering time/space warping technology like in The Fall of Reach novel.

Oh, and I found those Reflection screens. How the hell did I miss that? :lol So damn gorgeous. Distinctly different than the rest of the normal Halo aesthetic, which is nice for a change.

I think in that clip, he's looking down, and then he just looks up as he lands, creating that impression.

Ferrex confirmed on B.net that there wasn't any gravity manipulation. Just a combination of illusions, and in one instance an object being rotated while the player was inside of it.

Plywood said:
Yeah I could imagine people's different forge variants causing problems with the AI.

That's true - although my guess is the next Halo game won't be able to use that excuse since Crysis 2 is rolling with dynamic AI that can read and react to a geometrically changing environment.

Also, the thing that Bungie always said was that the AI wouldn't be enough of a 'team player' in terms of weapon sharing and things of that nature. I always kind of thought this was a bit of a cop out, because the bots in Gears 3 and UT3 never get in the way in that sense - different games, I know, but I doubt offline players are really demanding a whole lot in that regard.

I always chalked it up more to trying to encourage online play - and Microsoft wanting more Gold subscriptions.

JaggedSac

So what is Bungie's stance on getting user created maps into MM? Is there going to be a special playlist that gets updated weekly or something?

EazyB

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
That's true - although my guess is the next Halo game won't be able to use that excuse since Crysis 2 is rolling with dynamic AI that can read and react to a geometrically changing environment.
I really hope they bring most of their PC sandbox tools over to the consoles. I'll stick with the PC version but I want something so great it embarrasses the rest of the developers out there and leaves them no excuse to avoid similar features.

JaggedSac said:
So what is Bungie's stance on getting user created maps into MM? Is there going to be a special playlist that gets updated weekly or something?
Nothing mentioned so far. Just "something, something, bubble to the top."

Wiggum2007

Falagard said:
Sorry, you're wrong. There is clearly gravity manipulation going on in two spots in the Vidoc.

The most obvious spot is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcmrL29WII#t=4m57s

When he jumps, the wall that he is looking at as he moves forward becomes the platform he lands on under his feet (his orientation changes).

Nope, Ferrex confirmed on B.net that there isn't any gravity manipulation going on, in one scene the environment was just tilted, and in another the interior was being moved by a Monitor character as the player was inside it.

EazyB said:
I really hope they bring most of their PC sandbox tools over to the consoles. I'll stick with the PC version but I want something so great it embarrasses the rest of the developers out there and leaves them no excuse to avoid similar features.

I expect nothing less from Crytek. They basically have to in order to support their "one source, three platforms" mentality.

Besides they effortlessly dropped 3D into the 360 version while every other dev was sobbing that it couldn't be done. :lol

Bungie's map mentality:

- Users submit maps.
- Bubbles.
- ???
- Profit!

Falagard

electricpirate said:
Ferrex confirmed on B.net that there wasn't any gravity manipulation. Just a combination of illusions, and in one instance an object being rotated while the player was inside of it.

Link?

The object being rotated around the player I can definitely imagine in the video a bit earlier, but I've just watched the other part, where it looks like the gravity changes, about 10 times in a row. It's really hard to tell because there's no sky or ground to compare what's up or not, so it's definitely possible it's just an illusion, but it really looks like the view is changing orientation (a lot like when you'll playing that game Prey, or even Portal).

*Edit*

Wiggum2007 said:
Nope, Ferrex confirmed on B.net that there isn't any gravity manipulation going on, in one scene the environment was just tilted, and in another the interior was being moved by a Monitor character as the player was inside it.

Bah WTF - why did they chose to put confusing stuff like that in the Vidoc? Just to throw us off and make us think there was some sort of gravity manipulation? So we're disappointed when there isn't?

Urk - you have some 'splaining to do.

* End Edit *

EazyB

Banned
I totally missed this for some reason but have we heard what these "gadgets" are about:

2ext3z5.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JaggedSac said:
IIRC, there will be forged maps in MM from the get go since they're all ready for that.

EazyB said:
It's always been obvious that many of the forgehub members value "pro-forging skills" over actual map qualities but that thread just spells it out perfectly. They value geomerging not because it aids in cleaning up a map and making it play better but because of how hard it is to do and it's a easy way to distinguish a forge-veteran from a novice. The result of having the phase is the same as painstakingly glitching a box into place, it's just everyone should be able to do it now and it upsets them. I can see being disappointed that Reach just has a glorified H3 Forge system lacking a lot of depth/tools that real map editors have but this shit is typical forgehub.
His post is completely retarded, and I'm glad to see that some of the more prominent members over there called him out for raising such a stupid topic in the first place. It smacks of elitism and I can't stand that shit, no matter who it's from. It seems as if Bungie has taken a lot of the tedium out of forging, but if you can't design a playable space, the map is still going to suck. What's going to happen now (and I'll be so happy of this), is that a map's comments will no longer begin with, "wow, the geomerging looks great". It's all going to be about the design now, and the cream will rise to the top.

edit: ban him, Roche! :-b

Falagard said:
Link?

The object being rotated around the player I can definitely imagine in the video a bit earlier, but I've just watched the part where the player jumps and it looks like the gravity changes about 10 times. It's really hard to tell because there's no sky or ground to compare what's up or not, so it's definitely possible it's just an illusion, but it really looks like the view is changing orientation (a lot like when you'll playing that game Prey, or even Portal).

*Edit*

Bah WTF - why did they chose to put confusing stuff like that in the Vidoc? Just to throw us off and make us think there was some sort of gravity manipulation? So we're disappointed when there isn't?

Urk - you have some 'splaining to do.

* End Edit *
bububububu forge is a gameplay mode!!!22

I always hated that. It just feels too meandering to be enjoyable for anything.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
electricpirate said:
I think in that clip, he's looking down, and then he just looks up as he lands, creating that impression.

Wiggum2007 said:
Shit, that sucks if true. The possibilities would of been endless.

Roche

EazyB said:
It's always been obvious that many of the forgehub members value "pro-forging skills" over actual map qualities but that thread just spells it out perfectly. They value geomerging not because it aids in cleaning up a map and making it play better but because of how hard it is to do and it's a easy way to distinguish a forge-veteran from a novice. The result of having the phase is the same as painstakingly glitching a box into place, it's just everyone should be able to do it now and it upsets them. I can see being disappointed that Reach just has a glorified H3 Forge system lacking a lot of depth/tools that real map editors have but this shit is typical forgehub.

Forge Hub is a service, where people can learn about Forge and post their maps. Most people us it for that and that alone sure some people get big-headed thinking they are the best thing to happen to Halo but most of us just want to build and play awesome maps.

It's really not fair for people to make big sweeping statements based on the action of a few select people, most of us are fair and work hard to provide a that service without asking for anything in return because we love what we do.

Striker

ForgeHub thread was hilarious. Only a couple were being demented like that, but otherwise most of them seem levelheaded.

Also, Spire is pretty intriguing. I wonder if it's another BTB map or something for Invasion. (Please be BTB)

20sgg43.jpg

When I saw this (pieces can float in the air), first thing that came to my mind is Unreal Tournament's (classic) "Facing Worlds" if they just let you change the time of day to night im sure it can be easily remade

I've never wanted Forge in SP or Firefight. I trust Bungie to craft that with their full editors etc, not people with Forge 2.0. If we had a full editor then by all means, but in my experience 99% of stuff involving custom AI et al is terrible.

WJD

Another thing, I swear in one of those videos I saw two red arrows pointing towards the direction the player was taking damage from. Seems to be another complaint fixed from the Beta. Unless it was pointing towards a point of interest or something.

Clarification? Or has this already been spotted/discussed?

feel

Voltron64 said:
I'm about to go back to the convention center but here are a few more videos from last night. Took forever to upload.

- Killing grunts in firefight on the Courtyard map.

- Firefight Rockets on Courtyard

- Quick video of Lars playing on Pinnacle.

I had one more uploaded but somehow it failed at the end...pissed me off. I'll post a few more later.
Real nice. Thanks! I noticed on the Ascension vid that when you die the loadout change menu doesn't show unless you press X, which should make the camera controllable the second you die.. Sweet!! That bugged me in the beta.

WJD said:
Another thing, I swear in one of those videos I saw two red arrows pointing towards the direction the player was taking damage from. Seems to be another complaint fixed from the Beta. Unless it was pointing towards a point of interest or something.

Clarification?
It did this in the beta, too, it just wasn't as visible because of a bug.

WJD

Shake Appeal said:
It did this in the beta, too, it just wasn't as visible because of a bug.

Ah, well good to see the bug's been fixed then. Cause I couldn't see shit in the beta.

After watching that Pinnacle video I have to say that the Forge green+Forerunner motif looks a lot better up close where you can see the detail of grass and flowers and stuff. :D

Schmitty

Genesis Knight said:
After watching that Pinnacle video I have to say that the Forge green+Forerunner motif looks a lot better up close where you can see the detail of grass and flowers and stuff. :D
Just about to say the same thing. Pinnacle was really looking good.

vhfive

RedSparrows said:
OH PLEASE BE an ultra dark filter that basically makes the map landscape dark, except the stars above....

Not gonna happen ;(
I'm pretty sure I saw a night filter added to forge during that crappy ustream of the panel

MMaRsu

Banned
If you cant create maps in space can you at least change it to night in Forge World? Please Bungie, don't forget :)

Hey You

vhfive said:
I'm pretty sure I saw a night filter added to forge during that crappy ustream of the panel
If not I'm sure you could use Purple + (god I forgot the name of) to create a similar effect.

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Good catch. They seem to home like needles.
It looks to behave exactly like the needler except blue. I'm beginning to think their covie sandbox philosophy was to get rid of all the unique brute pieces and replace them with texture swaps of other weapons. The brute shot replaced with the concussion rifle (alongside the FRG, plasma launcher, and rocket launcher) and now an addition weapon that behaves just like the needler. :lol

Everyone's favorite vehicles are the ghost and wraith so how about we get rid of something that actually behaves uniquely (the chopper) and fuse the two least popular vehicles into a hybrid piece of shit that no one enjoys.

/endchopperrant

Top Bottom