• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault confirmed for Windows Phone 8 - Developed by Vanguard Games

Microsoft stooge said:
only on Windows 8

It's shit like this that makes me long for the day when I can finally ditch Windows from my PC. It is also a huge reason why I will never touch a windows phone or anything else from Microsoft.

I anticipate this game will sell fewer copies on the PC than Halo 2 did on the PC when they did the retard "vista only" rubbish. Oddly enough I didn't buy Halo 2 either even when there was a community patch that made it work with XP. So I will be skipping this game too.

derFeef

It's shit like this that makes me long for the day when I can finally ditch Windows from my PC. It is also a huge reason why I will never touch a windows phone or anything else from Microsoft.

I anticipate this game will sell fewer copies on the PC than Halo 2 did on the PC when they did the retard "vista only" rubbish. Oddly enough I didn't buy Halo 2 either even when there was a community patch that made it work with XP. So I will be skipping this game too.

The grass is much greener on the other side, where there are NO system exclusives, right?

Proelite

They'll port the game to Xbla when they get the time. It's not like porting to windows 7 / xbla doesn't take work.

The grass is much greener on the other side, where there are NO system exclusives, right?

Meh don't care what the other side is like as long as I am not supporting Microsoft with my money that will keep me happy as Larry. Like I said the ONLY reason I have an MS operating system is because I have no choice but to have one (since I play games). However other areas such as phones and tablets I do have a choice and I always make sure I never purchase anything to do with Microsoft just because of this crap they pull right here (oh and I am aware MS makes more money via Android than they do with their own bloody phone).

watership

Meh don't care what the other side is like as long as I am not supporting Microsoft with my money that will keep me happy as Larry. Like I said the ONLY reason I have an MS operating system is because I have no choice but to have one (since I play games). However other areas such as phones and tablets I do have a choice and I always make sure I never purchase anything to do with Microsoft just because of this crap they pull right here (oh and I am aware MS makes more money via Android than they do with their own bloody phone).

The things you are hating MS for doing, Apple and Android and Sony and Nintendo all do. The Windows 7 vs 8 thing is because the game is probably written for the WINRT runtime, which is practically automatically supporting both win8, winRT and winphone8. This may come to other ecosystems but you're actually hating a company for supporting their hardware, first. It's irrational. There are some games that never come to android. Do you hate Apple for that equally?

derFeef

So it's just you, then. Understood. Apple and Google are doing the same thing, but whatevs, arguing seems like a waste here.

spekkeh

Banned
I've seen too few meltdowns about the fact that the guys behind Killzone are now doing the next Halo. You really disappoint me internets.

Proelite

The things you are hating MS for doing, Apple and Android and Sony and Nintendo all do. The Windows 7 vs 8 thing is because the game is probably written for the WINRT runtime, which is practically automatically supporting both win8, winRT and winphone8. This may come to other ecosystems but you're actually hating a company for supporting their hardware, first. It's irrational. There are some games that never come to android. Do you hate Apple for that equally?

They only way they can release this for windows 7 is through steam.

Knowing MS it'll probably come out for it a year later.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Why would anyone want to play a game about Sarah Egghead Palmer, the worst, most annoying character in all of Halo? Do they actually think anyone liked her? Halo is officially dead.

Do you own IOS devices?

I own a Nexus 4, 7 and soon to own a 10 can't stand Apple either ;-) and don't get me started on GOOGLE but so far out of a few "things" they are less scummy to me than Apple or Microsoft

Yeah just like Halo 2 was so impossible to run on Win Xp .............. oh wait no it wasn't there was a community fix faster than MS could count the sales of Halo 2 on the PC. Microsoft have purposely excluded a huge section of the market to try and "convince" people to upgrade to their latest shiny piece of shit.

Xbudz

I own a Nexus 4, 7 and soon to own a 10 can't stand Apple either ;-) and don't get me started on GOOGLE but so far out of a few "things" they are less scummy to me than Apple or Microsoft

Yeah just like Halo 2 was so impossible to run on Win Xp .............. oh wait no it wasn't there was a community fix faster than MS could count the sales of Halo 2 on the PC. Microsoft have purposely excluded a huge section of the market to try and "convince" people to upgrade to their latest shiny piece of shit.

Windows 8.1

coldfoot

Banned
Meanwhile on iOS:
2kgpr_xcomeu-ios_may-preview_img_0288.jpg

Looks so good for a phone game.

Looks pretty damn good for a phone.

I hope the controls don't suck though.

For the OS and devices I do not have so I will not play it.

Very cool stuff. Despite the platform....

Your loss. Windows Phone 7/7.5 were not so great for gaming (all must have being written in XNA) but Windows Phone 8 has native code support and amazing OS speed.

when was the last time you guys played mobile games? :D
modern-combat-4-zero-hour.jpg

Modern Combat 4 is also available in WP8, for information.

Frankie,

Touch screen controls only? or will Win 8 PC use M/K as well?

All Windows 8 apps require that they work with only M/K, as well as touch. Frankie also confirmed that the game works with M/K.

Will wait for inevitable Steam version.

Not likely. Win8 and WP8 apps are built using WinRT (the phone version is technically WinPRT for Windows Phone RunTime). Those "metro apps" are only available through the official store. Unless they plan to port to Win32 (the old Windows API), it won't come to Steam. For example, Skulls of the Shogun was made using WinRT, and it's not available on Steam.

It is possible they could port it, but I would assume that iOS/Android versions would come before that.

Shadders

Cool that the game is only £5, bad that the game requires me to upgrade my OS at a cost of £75.

I'm sure there will be an Xbox One version, but I'm also sure this won't be announced for a few months so they can maximise the number of people willing to buy into Windows 8 to play this.

Crawl

All Windows 8 apps require that they work with only M/K, as well as touch. Frankie also confirmed that the game works with M/K.

Not likely. Win8 and WP8 apps are built using WinRT (the phone version is technically WinPRT for Windows Phone RunTime). Those "metro apps" are only available through the official store. Unless they plan to port to Win32 (the old Windows API), it won't come to Steam. For example, Skulls of the Shogun was made using WinRT, and it's not available on Steam.

It is possible they could port it, but I would assume that iOS/Android versions would come before that.

Skulls of the Shogun has already been found in the Steam database.

Really sad that this wasn't a Halo Wars 2...

From the screenshots it appears TO ME like they reused a lot of the vehicles from Halo Wars...

Grizzly tanks (uber scorpion tanks), and Wolverines (anti air vehicles) are clearly taken from HW and put in this game, as seen in screenshots that no one has seemed to say yet.

Good choices! Oh how I wanted those vehicles in Halo:R and 4

I played that game for well over a year and loved some of the things they came up with.

jagowar

Really sad that this wasn't a Halo Wars 2...

From the screenshots it appears TO ME like they reused a lot of the vehicles from Halo Wars... I played that game for well over a year and loved some of the things they came up with.

Grizzly tank, and Wolverines are clearly taken from HW and put in this game, as seen in screenshots that no one has seemed to say yet. (Good choices! Oh how I wanted those vehicles in Halo:R and 4)

You can even see in this perspective how easily something like this could be made into an rts.... just need to add some base building and multiple unit options to this and its close to ready.

Gameplay clips:

Defend the Wolverines

UNSC technicians had built numerous magnetic reactor stations across Draetheus-V. The western reactor field was one of the largest of these stations and was of great interest to the Covenant.

Spartan Palmer moved in to provide support in the western reactor field. Palmer's prime objectives were to protect several squads of Wolverines and halt the Banshees providing air support to the Covenant infantry.

Clear a landing zone for second wave of marines.

As Spartan Palmer led the charge on Draetheus-V, Spartan Davis continued to face considerable enemy threat on the moon. On a stroke of luck, the UNSC Eminent Domain was able outmaneuver Covenant forces in orbit over the moon and offer some support by deploying marines to the southern Mirror Flats.

The 3rd Helljumper Platoon was the first to land on Draetheus-V's moon. Spartan Davis, having held out against a constant stream of Unggoy and Sangheli for a full day, quickly set out to clear the landing zone for the next wave of drop pods.

Destroy the anti-air Wraiths

Although the UNSC forces successfully slowed the Covenant, enemy numbers were too great to halt their advance indefinitely. A continuous stream of Covenant infantry, Wraiths, and air support were moving towards Research Facility Alpha.

Spartan Palmer must destroy the anti-air Wraiths and give the UNSC Hornets a chance to land near the outposts.

--------------------------------

Some more screens on Paul Thurrott's site: http://winsupersite.com/games/halo-spartan-assault-screenshots

Skulls confirmed!

Skulls!?

=D

Wait... I still can't play this game... =(

Will this game have separate achievement lists? Meaning, if I buy this for my Lumia 920 AND I buy on Windows 8 (after the 8.1 update of course) can I earn the same achievement twice? Or will the game use cross platform saves (or something) and be considered identical in terms of achievements?

All the screens:

The game seriously does look great. Seems to be a ton of features in it, and it really looks like a Halo title. I want to play this.

Also, interesting that they aren't using the Halo 4 Grunt design.. the old school look is a lot better.

Doffen

Will this game have separate achievement lists? Meaning, if I buy this for my Lumia 920 AND I buy on Windows 8 (after the 8.1 update of course) can I earn the same achievement twice? Or will the game use cross platform saves (or something) and be considered identical in terms of achievements?

Yes. It will be separate achievement lists.

Top Bottom