• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault confirmed for Windows Phone 8 - Developed by Vanguard Games

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
HSA-header.jpg

“Halo: Spartan Assault” Brings the Award-Winning “Halo” Franchise to Windows 8 Devices this July

With best-in-class action, audio and graphics, “Halo: Spartan Assault” showcases the epic scale and action of the “Halo” universe only on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8

With millions of franchise fans worldwide, Microsoft and 343 Industries today revealed an all-new way for gamers to experience “Halo;” this time, you can do it on Windows 8 devices.

Available this July for $6.99 only on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, “Halo: Spartan Assault” is the first top-down action shooter that brings a “Halo” video game to touch-based devices. Developed by Vanguard Games in conjunction with 343 Industries, “Halo: Spartan Assault” provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.

Set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” “Halo: Spartan Assault” explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight in never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.

With 25 unique missions featuring unrivaled action and intensity, the single-player experience allows you to compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills with Weekly Challenges. Replay the missions to collect more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals.

For fans who already have a prospering Spartan career aboard the UNSC Infinity, “Halo: Spartan Assault” lets you earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and emblems for your “Halo 4” Spartan, with additional integration features available after launch.

In addition, 343 Industries has teamed up with Dark Horse Comics to create “Halo: Initiation,” 2 a 3-part comic series which reveals the story of how Commander Sarah Palmer became a Spartan-IV and leads directly into the exciting missions of “Halo: Spartan Assault.”

To learn more about “Halo: Spartan Assault,” please visit Halo Waypoint.

TRAILER

Source

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
About time we got a Halo game on WP.

Wonder how long it takes to come to iOS..

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It looks kinda fun actually. I currently don't own anything that plays it though. Maybe when I check it out at E3 it'll convince me to change that.

Madness

Have you guys seen some of the mobile games out now? It's join just Angry Birds. That actually looks pretty bad for so called best in class graphics.

Also, just Googled the dev, it's some no-name studio from the Netherlands that has released very few to little games at all.

JudgeB

Banned
looks nice, wonder if it'll have 360 pad support for windows 8. Price isn't bad.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. If I can use my controller on Win 8 then I'll buy this day 1.

About time they made a Halo game for phone/win8, haha.

Disappointed with the style of the game. Especially when seeing games like N.O.V.A or the other first person shooter clones from Gameloft, I expected more for Halo debut on a mobile platform. Game looks fun though, but no clue when I will play it...

Flai

Not releasing this on android/ios is really dumb

Erhm, what? Has Microsoft ever released any games for iOS/Android/Mac/Linux/any non-MS OS? And why would they, I'd imagine that getting great exclusives like this for WP8 is pretty damn important considering that the WP game selection isn't particularly impressive at the moment.

EDIT: Apparently MS has released bunch of iOS games before :) Well, whatever, can't imagine why though, I doubt they have been great successes on iOS or anything?

whyman

I will never get a windows phone or windows 8. Guess i wont get to play this one. Just release it for iphone!

Dipswitch

Erhm, what? Has Microsoft ever released any games for iOS/Android/Mac/Linux/any non-MS OS? And why would they, I'd imagine that getting great exclusives like this for WP8 is pretty damn important considering that the WP game selection isn't particularly impressive at the moment.

Kinectimals was released on Android and iOS.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. If I can use my controller on Win 8 then I'll buy this day 1.

About time they made a Halo game for phone/win8, haha.

"While the game has been optimised for touch devices you can use a mouse and keyboard if your device supports it. Xbox 360 controller support for the PC version will be added a couple of weeks after launch, 343 executive producer Dan Ayoub told Eurogamer at a recent briefing in London."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...down-twin-stick-shooter-for-windows-8-devices

Omni

Will be getting this on PC. Looks pretty good for what it is (even if I don't care about Palmer as of now)

smr00

Banned
Not releasing this on android/ios is really dumb
No, MS releasing a Halo game on phones other then their own would be really dumb.

It would be like Nintendo releasing a phone and putting all the pokemon games on it, then releasing all of those games on IOS/Droid. What's the point in the Nintendo Phone if you don't have exclusive content? C'mon son.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I actually worked at Vanguard a few years ago. I'm super happy for them that they found a great new IP to work on.

Gatling Gears is a great twin stick shooter. I'm this game will be even better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yes? Ms Splosion Man, Wordament, Kinectimals, Tentacles.

PG2G

I don't think things like this will have any major impact on the phone side of things, but it they continue to release stuff like this it (along with the upcoming update) might nudge people on the fence about Windows 8.

No, MS releasing a Halo game on phones other then their own would be really dumb.

It would be like Nintendo releasing a phone and putting all the pokemon games on it, then releasing all of those games on IOS/Droid. What's the point in the Nintendo Phone if you don't have exclusive content? C'mon son.
This is not a phone selling killer app, nobody is going to go buy a wp8 for some tower defense clone. But just the Halo name and $7 price would make it the top selling app on the other marketplaces in minutes.

They're leaving money on the table.

smr00

Banned
This is not a phone selling killer app, nobody is going to go buy a wp8 for some tower defense clone. But just the Halo name and $7 price would make it the top selling app on the other marketplaces in minutes.

They're leaving money on the table.
It's coming to W8 Tablet/Phones and PC.

Clearly the game itself isn't but if they continue to bring big xbox IPs to W8 Tablet/Phones it will peek interest from xbox fans. This will never hit IOS/Droid for a reason.

Walshicus

Couldn't pay me to install windows 8 onto my PC.

Given you can make Windows 8 *look* and *act* just like Windows 7 while keeping the many benefits of Windows 8 for free, in minutes, I suspect that's either hyperbole or stupidity. :)

Top Bottom