• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault confirmed for Windows Phone 8 - Developed by Vanguard Games

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They want to boost their Windows platforms.

I'm happy because this means we might see other 1st party games from MS on Windows. Imagine Rare porting their games like Viva Pinata DS to Windows Phone or heck, new games!

I hope so. Would Viva Pinata on my Lumia. Sadly that franchise is probably dead.

So, no support for phone OSes anyone uses, nor any support for any computer OS anyone uses (or, more to the point, availability outside of a web store that no-one uses). Good luck with that, Microsoft.

Omni

So, no support for phone OSes anyone uses, nor any support for any computer OS anyone uses (or, more to the point, availability outside of a web store that no-one uses). Good luck with that, Microsoft.
Plenty of people use those platforms. But sure, keep on with those hyperboles if it makes you feel edgy.

Do you think Joe Belfiore was just sleeping and neglecting his work? How rude!

:p

Seriously not sure why they did not even try to ask the big publishers to port their games to WP.

And xbox live certification takes too long for WP, they can announce something that is already out on IOS and takes more than a year to port them.......

I think all the blog /sites about Wp like wpcentral did help somewhat to wake him up.

I don't think the things I I like about Halo really transfer to a top down game. To me, Halo is about targeting key points on enemies in order to dispatch them quickly. Head-shotting a grunt/elite, hitting a shielded jackals hand or a hunter's soft spot all require precise aiming on the x and y axis with movement on the x,y and z. A top down perspective seems like it'll just be "pump bullets into guys until they have no hit points left". A game like Fallout with targeted shooting seems more like it'd encapsulate the feel of halo combat while keeping everything else on 2 axes.

golem

Looks cool. Dont have any 8 products at the moment, but maybe I'll pick up a Surface Pro 2 in the future

Plenty of people use those platforms. But sure, keep on with those hyperboles if it makes you feel edgy.

Yeah, it's hyperbole, except for the "nobody uses Windows Store" comment. Has it broke a million dollars revenue generated yet? Last I heard it hadn't cracked $200k. But certainly, the Windows Phone OS is a distant third, plus WP8 means they're effectively starting from zero again, and Windows 8 is doing worse than Vista last I heard, so making an exclusive to those platforms sounds a bit dumb.

Yeah, it's hyperbole, except for the "nobody uses Windows Store" comment. Has it broke a million dollars revenue generated yet? Last I heard it hadn't cracked $200k. But certainly, the Windows Phone OS is a distant third, plus WP8 means they're effectively starting from zero again, and Windows 8 is doing worse than Vista last I heard, so making an exclusive to those platforms sounds a bit dumb.

You are wrong about windows 8 , it sold about the same as 7.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-more-than-100-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-7000014957/

They are starting at zero again for wp, some wp 7 games cannot even run on wp8 LOL :(

Mesoian

Not releasing this on android/ios is really dumb

Give it time. A WP8 8 month exclusive is perfect for this, then when Halo 5 rumblings start, release for the two other larger ecosystems. Easy money.

So this is what Halo Wars became huh? Interesting premise.

MCD

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

WP community have long waited for MS to give a bone to their own platform. Please read this and understand why this is bigger than just LAWL HALO PHONE:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-gaming-franchises-wp

This game will be a great addition for my Lumia 920. Though, I am still unsure on touch controls. I am glad that the Windows 8 version will be getting controller support soon after launch but first I would need to install Windows 8. Hopefully when Windows 8.1 gets fully shown this summer I fell motivated to install the OS.

Also, to everyone complaining about this game not coming to Android or iOS:
1. As a WP8 user we constantly get screwed by every mobile game developer. Only after their game has been out for 1 year or longer do they feel like eventually porting to us. Now you know what it feels like to see a quality game be announced but know that there is an excellent chance you'll never get it.
2. This game is Microsoft's attempt at promoting WP8 and W8. Microsoft doesn't need the money from sales of this game to turn a profit this quarter so they look at it more as an investment to the platform as a whole. If this game can convince even a handful of people to upgrade or increase satisfaction with Windows then Microsoft will be happy.
3. To those that say not many people will even have the capacity to play this game due to it being only on two platforms: Windows 8 has sold over 100 million licenses and Windows Phone 8 is growing in Market share.

History

Neo Member

Um....Not really.

Windows phone has a 5.6% market share (since April) among smartphones OSes.
Windows 8 has a 3.8% share of the market (since may) of Computer OSes.

Microsoft is cutting out almost 95% of their potential market.

I know for a fact, that most people will NOT change OSs because of a game. Microsoft is leaving money on the table.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hope this works with a gamepad on windows 8, it looks like a dual stick shooter.

It is a dual stick shooter. The controls work really well - it detects if your thumbs are 'drifting' and keeps the control scheme centered to accomodate drift. Hard to explain, but it just works. You do things like double tap to theow grenades, board vehicles etc. Also supports M/k and yes there will be joypad support shortly after launch.

Also kind of weird that people are surprised we are supporting our own platforms first.

Um....Not really.

I know for a fact, that most people will NOT change OSs because of a game. Microsoft is leaving money on the table.

Using your logic Nintendo , Sony and Microsoft should just make games for every platform out there.

Wait i just realized that people are starting to get bitter /salty about a WP game :0

Good job MS , 1st step of making WP a more viable products.

This makes me want to get a Windows Phone. Too bad there are no useful apps for it compare to Android or iOS.

Yup and MS need to solve this ASAP, i like the metro os but was (is?) thinking of changing to IOS if the next jump is as big as rumored.

I do have an itouch(3rd gen?)

LOL bungie must be offended their IP is getting this kind of treatment

This actually looks more like (and more fun like) halo than halo 4 to me lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Um....Not really.

Good that you know most people. They need to start leveraging the platform. The WP8/Win8iecosystem is more important than make extra revenue from one game by releasing it on rival platforms.

Um....Not really.

You do know almost every PC purchased this year and for years to come is windows 8?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It is a dual stick shooter. The controls work really well - it detects if your thumbs are 'drifting' and keeps the control scheme centered to accomodate drift. Hard to explain, but it just works. You do things like double tap to theow grenades, board vehicles etc. Also supports M/k and yes there will be joypad support shortly after launch.

Also kind of weird that people are surprised we are supporting our own platforms first.

Horay, bought!

MCD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Touch screens emulating analogue sticks, devoid of tactile feedback, are my nightmare. But with a GamePad this could be pretty great.

Alas, I won't be able to try it until the day I maybe upgrade to Win8.

I can't play this on Windows 7?

What the fuck? Halo 2 Vista all over again.

I'd also like to complain about the choice of music in the trailer. I know we're now into a second trilogy but I'd very much prefer to hear those signature military drums and monks over some generic cinematic score.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Touch screens emulating analogue sticks, devoid of tactile feedback, are my nightmare. B.

I used to agree with this. But the system we built for this works surprisingly well. Believe me, I have played plenty of games where my thumbs leave the surface, or the game simply doesn't understand my intent after my thumbs drift.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Should have an MP mode where it is pretty much a MOBA, buy upgrades and abilities to your armor and weapons as you level. Grunts and Marines as the minions, would be awesome.

Do it MS!

DesertFox

PR

In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities

Hmm, they may want to consider revising that verb. Looks like a fun game, but I don't own a single win8 device. :(

I tried Windows 8 on my pc and promptly reinstalled Windows 7. Not sure how successful this game will be if locked to those platforms

Gui_PT

Why not a game with Buck as the main character?

Why

dorkimoe

Gold Member
That looks awesome..

I hope so. Would Viva Pinata on my Lumia. Sadly that franchise is probably dead.

the amount of money that would make on tablets is crazy. They really need to release it. They can F2p the shit out of that probably

Top Bottom