• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault confirmed for Windows Phone 8 - Developed by Vanguard Games

JudgeB

Banned
tumblr_mntz9xQWen1rw3f68o1_500.png

The logo on this is different. So is this bullshit now?

This was proven to be BS long before this announcement.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Post like this supports that article that Neogaf doesnt understand the business side of this industry.

Or it supports the fact that Microsoft is choosing to forego additional software revenue in order to cultivate their hardware brand. That's inherently a gamble.

If Windows Phone never breaks through, then plenty of high quality software has gotten thrown under the bus and to little apparent gain. Microsoft's original stance was not to port any software, but then they released three of their higher profile WP exclusive titles on iOS--and subsequently they've released Ms. Splosion Man, the iOS version of which actually came out before the WP version. I guess now that WP8 has come around they're going to give exclusives another push. Maybe it'll stick this time, maybe not.

They also developed Office for iOS but ultimately never released it after a dispute with Apple over revenue sharing on subscription (365) revenue. Now they run ads making fun of the iPad for not running Microsoft Powerpoint.

Same really goes with whether or not to port 360 stuff to the PC. They oscillate back and forth. That's how they work.

Given you can make Windows 8 *look* and *act* just like Windows 7 while keeping the many benefits of Windows 8 for free, in minutes, I suspect that's either hyperbole or stupidity. :)

Act yes, look no--no one has successfully restored Aero Glass. One guy is somewhat close and he's running an early beta now, but not yet. There is a transparent theme in Win8 and a lot of Google results for restoring Aero Glass show you how to enable that, but it's not really close.

Zeknurn

I'm glad that Microsoft is finally using their popular franchises to release games on Windows and Windows Phone. Hopefully this is just the start and we get to see every franchise going forward have the full game or a spinoff released for Windows and Windows Phone.

Striek

Oh, it was real.

Looks nice graphically, hope the gameplay is good. Don't have Windows 8 (and probably will skip until 9), doesn't seem likely I'll ever have a Windows phone so it'll be a long wait until I even have a platform that can play this :/

marrec

Banned
Microsoft having a platform that allows them to easily release games on PC and Phone simultaneously is proving to be extremely advantageous to them.

Evoga

I will purchase this game. Also going to buy the Nokia EOS as my next phone, after having an android phone before i would never go back to to that phone os.

Daedardus

Looks good, this seems to be their killer app for WP8.

I doubt it will sell though. It will eventually land up on iOS or Android someday.

Dipswitch

So, do you get both a WP8 and W8 version for $6.99? Or is it one or the other?

It'd be nice if I could play the WP8 version at home, save my progress to Skydrive/"the cloud" and resume where I left off on my WP8 phone.

jagowar

It'd be nice if I could play the WP8 version at home, save my progress to Skydrive/"the cloud" and resume where I left off on my WP8 phone.

Would be even cooler if it also would work on the xbox one as well (since its running a core of windows 8 on there it might be possible). Think xbla on any screen you have. If they can get the one price to play everywhere it would be a big deal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Better be a precursor to a new Halo Wars for XBO.

I have a Surface Pro for work so I'll buy this. Needs to be on iOS too though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Unfortunately you have to pay for both. Hopefully when 8.1 comes to WP, MS will have something sorted out with the marketplace. However you will be able to resume your game on the Win8 version.

2San

It looks like fun, I want it. Sadly I have no devices to run it, nor is this a game that would make me buy one.

Dipswitch

Unfortunately you have to pay for both. Hopefully when 8.1 comes to WP, MS will have something sorted out with the marketplace. However you will be able to resume your game on the Win8 version.

Bah - understandable, but kind of dumb. They're missing a golden opportunity to tie the two ecosystems together and encourage people to adopt both platforms. They should at least offer a discounted "package" containing the two versions of the game for a marginal price increase. Say $9.99.

As it stands, I'm not willing to pay for two full price versions of the same game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PR
Halo: Spartan Assault

• Publisher: Microsoft Studios

• Developers: 343 Industries and Vanguard Games

• Format: Digital download available only for Windows 8 PCs, tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices

• Price: $6.99

• Availability: July 2013

Product Overview

Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new top-down action shooter that brings a “Halo” video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, “Halo: Spartan Assault” provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.

Set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new chapter of the award-winning “Halo” universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.

With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, “Halo: Spartan Assault” brings the epic scale and action of the “Halo” universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.

Top features include the following

• Original “Halo” gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view

• New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio

• Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets2

• Integration with “Halo 4.” Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your “Halo 4” Spartan career, with additional integration features available after laun

• Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Med

• In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilitie

• Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.

MCD

The stupidity of not making this an XBLA game as well... Look how great Minecraft sold on XBLA.

They want to boost their Windows platforms.

I'm happy because this means we might see other 1st party games from MS on Windows. Imagine Rare porting their games like Viva Pinata DS to Windows Phone or heck, new games!

They want to boost their Windows platforms.

I'm happy because this means we might see other 1st party games from MS on Windows. Imagine Rare porting their games like Viva Pinata DS to Windows Phone or heck, new games!

I always wanted Viva Pinata ds or any of the MS ds games on wp lol.

Now ms better treat wp as a vaild platform , cannot believe it took them so long to make a halo spinoff for WP platform.

MCD

I always wanted Viva Pinata ds or any of the MS ds games on wp lol.

Now ms better treat wp as a vaild platform , cannot believe it took them so long to make a halo spinoff for WP platform.

Do you think Joe Belfiore was just sleeping and neglecting his work? How rude!

Jinaar

Avid Gamer: "So you're not an RTS game, not on Windows 7..... and you're not even being supported on your current console?"

Halo Spartan Assault: "No."

Avid Gamer: "Good lord...."

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm sure it will turn up on XBLA & X1 if it turns out to be good. It's probably pretty easy to develop a cross platform Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 game now they share a kernal, Xbox is a whole different kettle of fish & level of investment.

Looking at the description and the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if it started as a phone game.

Top Bottom