• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Beta Update Program Announced

RoKKeR

Damn, that's a shame. I've never played much Halo MP and was planning for this to be my introduction. Been holding off until the issues are sorted but I'm starting worry people won't come back once it's fixed.

My guess is that they will release ODST/new map/huge fixes all at once in a few months as sort of a "relaunch" of the game which will boost population back up.

There are people playing of course... you can usually find a Slayer or Big Team match without any issues, but the overall population has really dropped off a cliff.

That also makes it an even bigger insult that they have forgone population counters, because I no longer no how many people are searching the same playlist I am. I really want to play Halo 3 online, but how am I supposed to know if it's a good idea to search that playlist if I don't know how many people are in it?

Has no idea this existed. Can you post the current top 10?

It updates in real-time, so right now it's...

1. FIFA 15
2. CoD AW
3. BF Hardline Beta
4. Destiny
5. GTA V
6. Dying Light
7. NBA 2K15
8. Minecraft
9. Madden 15
10. AC: Unity

You usually see FIFA drop a few and the shooters move up a few when the Euro's log off.

so it sounds like they are gonna dump the built in party support from the system finally. Thank god. Halo 5 uses this but my friend at 343 assured me they already rewrote the entire party system for launch

JaggedSac

so it sounds like they are gonna dump the built in party support from the system finally. Thank god. Halo 5 uses this but my friend at 343 assured me they already rewrote the entire party system for launch

That seems like something they would have wanted to have in during the beta.

The best thing 343 can do is release the multiplayer as a stand alone game with GWG with the option for gold members to upgrade to the full release at a discounted price.

Should give the population a serious boost.

Bessy67

My guess is that they will release ODST/new map/huge fixes all at once in a few months as sort of a "relaunch" of the game which will boost population back up.

There are people playing of course... you can usually find a Slayer or Big Team match without any issues, but the overall population has really dropped off a cliff.

That also makes it an even bigger insult that they have forgone population counters, because I no longer no how many people are searching the same playlist I am. I really want to play Halo 3 online, but how am I supposed to know if it's a good idea to search that playlist if I don't know how many people are in it?
It also seems (to me at least) that the only people still playing are the die-hard fans that are really good at the game. I'm an average player at best, but in all other Halo games (including the Halo 5 beta) I've been able to hold my own and contribute to teams. My KDR was never monstrous but it was always at least over 1. In all the matches I've played in the MCC I've been completely demolished, and that just sucks all the fun out of the game for me and makes me less likely to keep playing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
an ass game beating a halo game in online population? then again halo 4 population dropped off a cliff a few months after launch too. but still...

EvB

Here are the exact stats for the 2 titles

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-04%20at%2022.22.12.png

NeOak

an ass game beating a halo game in online population? then again halo 4 population dropped off a cliff a few months after launch too. but still...
Didn't Halo 3 and Reach have higher numbers than Halo 4 in its second month?

The Halo fans I know just went back to Destiny or stopped playing Halo at all thanks to the MCC train wreck.

vesvci

Banned
The best thing 343 can do is release the multiplayer as a stand alone game with GWG with the option for gold members to upgrade to the full release at a discounted price.

Should give the population a serious boost.

This a very good idea IMO. I'd would very like be going back to MCC if this were to happen.

I legit feel bad for buying this game

Eh, I don't but I enjoy playing the campaigns. I've had fun and very little problems with it in that regard. If I look at it as just remastered Halo 1-4 campaigns on one disc I feel I got my $60 worth. It sucks that MP is broken but I don't feel cheated monetarily. I'm assuming those who regret buying or asked for refunds didn't care about the campaigns much or at all and bought it mainly for multiplayer. If I was in that camp I'd be super-pissed too.

FWIW, I've played the MP a few times and, other than having to wait way too long to get into a match, it seemed to work okay. I ran into a sound bug once where the FX didn't play after I got in the match but that was early on. In hindsight what they were trying to do seems overly ambitious, a frankenstein of ported code. Their biggest mistake was probably not just keeping it to Halo 2 only.

Not trying to defend the game per se, but I do feel there's value in it if you enjoy the campaigns. At least most of the campaign bugs have been fixed, AFAIK.

MAX PAYMENT

Eh, I don't but I enjoy playing the campaigns. I've had fun and very little problems with it in that regard. If I look at it as just remastered Halo 1-4 campaigns on one disc I feel I got my $60 worth. It sucks that MP is broken but I don't feel cheated monetarily. I'm assuming those who regret buying or asked for refunds didn't care about the campaigns much or at all and bought it mainly for multiplayer. If I was in that camp I'd be super-pissed too.

FWIW, I've played the MP a few times and, other than having to wait way too long to get into a match, it seemed to work okay. I ran into a sound bug once where the FX didn't play after I got in the match but that was early on. In hindsight what they were trying to do seems overly ambitious, a frankenstein of ported code. Their biggest mistake was probably not just keeping it to Halo 2 only.

Not trying to defend the game per se, but I do feel there's value in it if you enjoy the campaigns. At least most of the campaign bugs have been fixed, AFAIK.

Yup

The whole situation, game and all, is absolutely FUBAR and 343 should be ashamed of themselves.

Not that it matters as most people are just going to pre order Halo 5 without a second thought.

mcfrank

I have given up... And, as someone who bought 8 copies of Halo 1 and 8 copies of Halo 2 for LANs, who owns the books, and the comics, and the collectors editions, I will not be buying Halo 5 at launch or maybe not ever. I liked Halo 5, but it is such as shame what 343 has done to this franchise that I don't think I can support them any more.

Vinc

So... still no update on this and I still haven't gotten my month of Xbox Live.

I paid full price for the game at launch and it's now rapidly decreasing, despite the fact that it still doesn't work.

My interest in the game and the series is decreasing rapidly at this time, I feel a bit disgusted that I bought it.

Not happy.

BigShow36

Everything is planned to be fixed. This beta test is of an update that drastically overhauls some of the underlying issues, rather than trying to fix them bit by bit.

Hey Frankie, remember that time you said "everything is planned to be fixed."

That was awesome.

Turns out it was lie of course, but it was awesome while it lasted (although I hope no one actually believed you back then either).

https://twitter.com/brav/status/571000936014811136

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hey Frankie, remember that time you said "everything is planned to be fixed."

That was awesome.

Turns out it was lie of course, but it was awesome while it lasted (although I hope no one actually believed you back then either).

https://twitter.com/brav/status/571000936014811136

That's not a lie. Ranks are planned to be fixed, just not in the next update/patch. Looks like they have scheduled fixing ranks in a later milestone.

Seriously though, dude wasn't lying here.

Hubble

Ranks should be a priority wtf. A lot of Halo players are not playing because there are no ranks and find it pointless.

The_Dama

Fuck you 343. The game keeps getting worse and worse. Now I can get into games but it's mostly still 3v4 and lags almost every time. And playing with low levels while I'm in the 30s is the most frustrating thing ever. What happened the skill based matchmaking?

343 have really done a poor job of taking care of Halo, while I enjoyed the Halo 4 multiplayer I don't like the way they handle playlists, dlc and weapon balance.

I thought Halo CE Anniversary was great but the MCC has been a huge let down and the fact the not only did a Halo re-release suck on launch but it still barely works today is kinda disgraceful.

I only played a bit of the Halo 5 beta and I didn't love it but I'm ok with 343 trying new things but even if this MCC beta (BETA FFS) fixes the issues, it's too late at this time.

I mean come on! Drive Club is awesome now and Halo sucks, who could've predicted that!?

I knew multiplayer was a big focus of halo, but I never knew it was THE main focus. I thought halo's campaigns were also a big part of it, not to say they aren't, but it seems as though the vast majority care about the multiplayer, just like cod.

I knew multiplayer was a big focus of halo, but I never knew it was THE main focus. I thought halo's campaigns were also a big part of it, not to say they aren't, but it seems as though the vast majority care about the multiplayer, just like cod.

Of course it's big. Master Chief is one of gaming's icons.

But as iconic as MC is, Halo stories isn't one where it's talked about for years on end, in anticipation of the next game. It's huge, but it's not what sustains the appetite and fuel for the next Halo.

People do enjoy the campaigns, but since most of the people who bought the collection have probably already beaten most of them multiple times by now they were mostly looking forward to the multiplayer.

Of course it's big. Master Chief is one of gaming's icons.

But as iconic as MC is, Halo stories isn't one where it's talked about for years on end, in anticipation of the next game. It's huge, but it's not what sustains the appetite and fuel for the next Halo.
Master Chief is indeed one of gaming's biggest icons and that's because he's been kept there consistently with all halo games. cod's never had a singular encompassing protagonist.

so then it is accurate to say that the most important thing about halo is its multiplayer then? to make an analogy, if sony were to come out with an uncharted trilogy collection (uncharted is arguably playstation's biggest franchise right now) and the game launched with broken fucking multiplayer, I don't there would be as many people throwing hissy fits about it as there were/are for MCC. and that's because, although uncharted multiplayer is enjoyable and integral to uncharted now, the games' biggest and main feature is its campaign.
People do enjoy the campaigns, but since most of the people who bought the collection have probably already beaten most of them multiple times by now they were mostly looking forward to the multiplayer.
if I were to buy an xbone, it'd be the first xbox I ever owned and I'd get the mcc and i'd be most excited to play the campaigns. but, that pretty much does go with what you said. most people who are into uncharted are probably long time fans of the series, i'm not sure how many new people have jumped on with the MCC

Top Bottom