• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Beta Update Program Announced

samn

They're giving everyone a free month of Xbox live, plus people got exclusive nameplates and avatars. In a month or two, they will give everyone an updated ODST campaign download running at 1080p/60fps as well as another map, Relic, in Halo 2 Anniversary.

A free month of Live - the game has been broken longer than a month so we still can't call it even.

Nameplates and avatars - bah

ODST campaign - oh yeah that'll be great especially if it works as well as the rest of the still broken content

Another map - wahey we get something else we can't play

That they think this is acceptable compensation is insulting.

Bsigg12

At first I thought it was a joke. Then I saw they were serious. I just can't comprehend how utterly broke MCC was from the beginning to be entering a beta on updates months after launch. Holy shit.

Madness

A free month of Live - the game has been broken longer than a month so we still can't call it even.

Nameplates and avatars - bah

ODST campaign - oh yeah that'll be great especially if it works as well as the rest of the still broken content

Another map - wahey we get something else we can't play

That they think this is acceptable compensation is insulting.

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying that what the compensation is.

I think people are bewildered that we even got to this point, not the fact that there's a beta patch by itself. All of your examples are for patches that adds new content, this is a pure bugfix/refactor patch that is so huge it needs a beta. It reflects how poor the game was in the first place and that's what people are slapping their thighs on.

So should we still be pissed off about it launching broken? What does that accomplish? If you want to be pissed off and don't buy the next 343 game then ok. But for now they're trying to fix the game so thats at least something. Its too late to say that mcc should of worked at launch. Yes it should have but it didn't so we have to move on. 343 needs to worry about having their next game work on launch while trying to fix this one. Hindsight is only useful for taking what you've learned and making sure it doesn't happen in the future. You can't change the past.

Noobcraft

Are they still sticking with the "we never foresaw any problems occurring after launch" story?
Probably more to the "Hang tight while we try to figure out what's wrong, but here's some free content and a month of live while we work on it" story. You know, the one that's actually happening and has been for a while.

I am. And jokes aside (and we deserve every one of them) this is an important step for what I hope will be a transformative rather than iterative update.

The testers will be playing in a very small population so don't expect to see miracles on streams, on the contrary, the tiny population will make matchmaking ironically tougher for the testers. But we appreciate and need their effort. And they'll help us make it right for you guys.

Honestly, Is this to help create a base for the way cross play works with the new xbox app?

I opted in.i want to help.

Nick

i wonder if this will be eligible for GOTY 2016 when they finally release it in a playable state.
"This beta test, two months after the game is released, really shows what 343i is capable of. Certainly a game worth your $60."

-Ryan McCaffery

Zephyx

They should've called it a "Preview Program" instead. Kudos to them for trying to fix this but at this point, I think most people already lost hope.

Ominym

Banned
I'll do it. I'd tell my hardcore Halo friends to do it too, but they'd probably laugh at me. Fucking disgraceful that this game still isn't fixed, but yeah, I'll do my part.

Hopefully 343i has hired some competent developers since this game launched.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I believe things will be fixed.

I also fear when it eventually fully functional, ranked lobbies will forever be ghost towns. Hope someone is cooking up some black magic for a CSGO-esqe population revival- because I fear that can never be repaired now.

link1201

I am. And jokes aside (and we deserve every one of them) this is an important step for what I hope will be a transformative rather than iterative update.

The testers will be playing in a very small population so don't expect to see miracles on streams, on the contrary, the tiny population will make matchmaking ironically tougher for the testers. But we appreciate and need their effort. And they'll help us make it right for you guys.

Just don't give up. I am glad you guys are still trying to make it work. I wish it worked from the get go but the worst thing you could do is leave it be. I am actually encouraged that we're hopefully getting drastic changes.

I believe things will be fixed.

I also fear when it eventually fully functional, ranked lobbies will forever be ghost towns. Hope someone is cooking up some black magic for a CSGO-esqe population revival- because I fear that can never be repaired now.

The online community has to have truly sailed on by now.

0gdi0UO.png

RoKKeR

Jydin89.png

Accurate. Population has dropped off a cliff, it's barely in the Top Games list nowadays on XBL.

A population counter would be really helpful so I'm not searching playlists with nobody in them.

Spasm

I can imagine that not too long before release, their elegant masterpiece got Toy Story 2'd. Except this time, there wasn't a backup. They then threw together what they could at the last minute, and that's what got released. Now it seems we may be getting a complete re-write...?

Ominym

Banned

0gdi0UO.png

This is the part that kills me. It wont ever be the way the game should have been, the people wont return. Yes, the chart isn't real (in this context) but the implied drop off completely is. Also pretty funny that 343i got rid of those population numbers, must've struck a chord I assume.

For the past 11 years I have frequented a Halo specific message board/old blog. I forged friendships with some of the hardest core Halo fans I can imagine, and now not a single one of them can be bothered to even load up the game myself included. What's that say about the general population?

It's fun to laugh and poke fun. I feel like that's all we can do nowadays. But what a colossal let down this has been to myself and others.

I was thinking about this today. Now that the Halo 5 beta is finished, it's only natural that those players would return to Halo MCC and the game really had to be in good shape as that is the unofficial relaunch of the game. However it is still in bad shape, so somehow Microsoft needs to restore confidence in the product and somehow drum up support for a proper relaunch.

Without a relaunch and "Hey guys it's okay, everything works now!" the populations will never be high enough to provide fast matchmaking times. Especially not with the way Halo matches don't have "join in progress". A small pool of people and a community known for quitters is just going to leave us all in unbalanced matches and turn off more players. Even if the game worked it would be a bad experience.

But with a beta, they can get good word of mouth out through people who have experienced the improvements and start to rebuild hype to the day when this patch is released and we all get to enjoy the Halo game we paid for over 2 months ago. Tie this into the release of the new map for Halo 2 Anniversary and ODST content and they might just have a shot at saving this collection.

If it's still broken at that point, there's no hope for this ever being a satisfactory product.

Good luck 343, I bought a console for this game, I want it to work. Thanks.

Top Bottom