• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Beta Update Program Announced

vesvci

Banned
Holy fuck 343i....this is epic.

If I hadn't gotten my money back for MCC (through the MS store glitch), I would be pissed. This ridiculous.

Edit: the even more hilarious thing is what 343i calls "content updates" are really "patches".

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Everyone posting in this thread is acting like the game is entering beta. It is not. They have admitted the game is broken. They are committed to fixing it. This is a beta for a patch that completely changes party and matchmaking. They don't want to completely break the game since it is in a decently functioning form now. Everyone is just piling on at this point. What do you want them to do? The are clearly trying to fix it.

Everyone posting in this thread is acting like the game is entering beta. It is not. They have admitted the game is broken. They are committed to fixing it. This is a beta for a patch that completely changes party and matchmaking. They don't want to completely break the game since it is in a decently functioning form now. Everyone is just piling on at this point. What do you want them to do? The are clearly trying to fix it.

Often people read an op or title or an early derailing/misunderstood reply, and react to that, rather than the link to the real information. That would seem to be the case here.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fuck you, 343 and Microsoft. Seriously.

What a complete travesty this MCC is. First time I've felt ashamed in buying a game in ages, and I've bought some serious shit.

Think about what you just posted...

Beta testing the patch of a game released 2 months ago. Beta testing the patch. Nothing wrong with this?

It's done on Steam. MMOs do this as well. Titanfall tested features before releasing them to everyone.

It's not unusual. Would you rather they don't test patches?

Tunavi

Banned
Neogaf sure loves a train wreck. What do you want them to do? Shove it under the rug?

I'm glad they're doing everything they can. Hoping this is the final fix.

Not sure why everyone is so pissed they're still trying to fix it.

Naked Lunch

There has been a shift in recent days/weeks calling for a straight up redo of the entire matchmaking system - and this seems to do just that. Sad that it came to this and happened to a franchise of this magnitude but Im glad something is finally being done.

Think about what you just posted...

Beta testing the patch of a game released 2 months ago. Beta testing the patch. Nothing wrong with this?

What are you mad about? The patch being needed, or that they want to test it with an audience who have explicitly already volunteered to help with testing?

Do you own MCC? Are you happy with the performance...2 months after launch?

I own it and I'm not happy about the performance. They are attempting to fix the issue. Why shit on them for trying to fix it?

You also didn't answer my question. Should they not test the patch?

TaKeRx

Damn.. well at least they are trying to fix the game. I know a couple of people that have given up on the game so yea they definitely messed up.

Yoda

I legit was checking to make sure the website wasn't an elaborate fake.

Signed up, as did a friend. If it helps fix this game to a playable state with friends, I'll do anything to help.

Corporations only speak the language of $$. If you want them to release products then went through solid QA you need to only buy products that do so. Not picking on you or anything 99% of this forum is guilty of doing this.

TomShoe

Banned
343 Industries, Certain Affinity, Ruffian Games, Saber Interactive, Blur Studio, and United Front Games.

6 studios,
Made up of 40-100+ people each,
All working on one game,
Trying to patch each part they did individually,
Simultaneously trying not to break everyone else's current patches plus all the ones that came before.

The logistics must be an absolute nightmare. I don't know if this will ever get fixed.

Nick

Have you guys seen the episode of Intervention where the girl is huffing 30 cans of computer duster a day and started kicking the cops after they took her cats away?

343i is still a bigger mess than her.

BigShow36

Everything is planned to be fixed. This beta test is of an update that drastically overhauls some of the underlying issues, rather than trying to fix them bit by bit.

Ranks? Halo CE weapon timers? Stats? Weapon Orientation in CE? CE Anti-Aim glitch? 4 starting nades?

//ARCANUM

I don't see a way to decline the beta test if you're selected. It looks like you just have to update if you're chosen.

Or am I missing something?

I own it and I'm not happy about the performance. They are attempting to fix the issue. Why shit on them for trying to fix it?

You also didn't answer my question. Should they not test the patch?

I think people are bewildered that we even got to this point, not the fact that there's a beta patch by itself. All of your examples are for patches that adds new content, this is a pure bugfix/refactor patch that is so huge it needs a beta. It reflects how poor the game was in the first place and that's what people are slapping their thighs on.

iMax

giphy.gif

Booshka

Beta tested in the Future is hilariously apt for this situation.

That being said, this major overhaul definitely needs some testing before a wide release, and I hope that this game can finally be what it was advertised as.

Deserved trashing though, they fucked up big time.

jem0208

Am I the only one who is kinda excited by this?

If there's a chance that this beta can seriously help fix the game then that's awesome.

I assume now that everyone will get ODST instead of only those who played before the 19th?

I didn't even get the one month of live message even though I bought the game day 1.

Madness

I'd love to be able to be chosen to try this update out though. Hopefully the fact they're having a beta to test it, means it's massive and will likely change how the game works at a fundamental level.

TomShoe

Banned
Am I the only one who is kinda excited by this?

If there's a chance that this beta can seriously help fix the game then that's awesome.

At least they can at least keep any bad patches from being pushed out to the live servers. The product won't get any worse, so that's good. In-house testing can only do so much.

Madness

Thank you.

Double post, but I'm a preview member for Xbox One now. What are the odds I could be chosen to test this? I haven't played as much the past month though due to Halo 5 and because I wanted to wait till it was almost fixed. Are daily players going to be chosen before the part time players?

rpg_fan

Guys... Other games do this too. Mmo's tend to have testing servers, I know diablo3 has a patch testing server, battlefield as well yeah?

I know it's funny in this case just due to the sheer crap involved with mcc, but it's not really different from some other games.

You and me both. This thread is about a beta test to fix the issue. I just find it a little hilarious that people are acting shocked at the concept of testing a patch.

It is unprecedented on a console release. Yes PC games have similar things but PC is also experiencing the "early access" renaissance (or Dark Ages depending on what you put your dollar toward). I am still really surprised how these issues did not come to bear before release. I would have rather seen it delayed but they needed the vehicle for the Halo 5 beta. The cynical side of me says they knew of the issues but were pressured into release to get those holiday sales. Yes they are trying to fix it but all this announcement does is remind me of how it all started.

Grexeno

The cynical side of me says they knew of the issues but were pressured into release to get those holiday sales. Yes they are trying to fix it but all this announcement does is remind me of how it all started.
Sounds less cynical and more right on the money to me.

Top Bottom