• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

I supposed there had to be at least one negative thing about MCC, because everything else has been pretty close to perfection so far.

For me and many others with a fast download speed, this isn't a problem. But I understand it'll cause frustrations for those that don't.

JaggedSac

They talked about it in the gone gold post on waypoint.

We're going to reach a point were we will be preloading day 1 patches soon enough. 20 gigs is huge!

With this, I hope it preloads. It is content they are already done with and couldn't fit on a Blu-ray. Having said that, holy hell. Am I going to be downloading a 60gb file for this game?

liquidtmd

Banned
Im on a 40MB uncapped connection but still to echo the point, Jesus Christ!

Cmon guys this is silly. This really should be on a second disc. Youve got games on the PS4/Xbone on retail by themselves that are smaller

Raide

Do blu-rays even have any significant production costs anymore? IIRC, the cost for a single disk were already below $1 a few years ago.

I guess now its the increased cost during development to fill those discs with HD textures etc etc.. No point wasting a disc to half fill it.

Much cheaper to print 2 discs in previous gens. Bluray disc are still more expensive, hence most developers squeezing everything onto 1 disc or doing what 343 do and adding updates afterwards.

bluray has been around since 2006. costs have gone way down. even shit movies like "this is the end" gets bluray releases.

even when the dvd was still new, games got printed on 2 dvds and you get charged the same.

Clawww

Good lord, that's ridiculous.

I really feel sorry for people with data caps. Seems like console makers and publishers are keen to just ignore that issue completely. If your ISP sucks then this basically seems like a giant "fuck you."

consumers, in turn, should throw a giant "fuck you" to their ISP

Raide

Okay, so it's probably more expensive than running the servers. Still 20GB is lot, specially for people with bandwidth caps.

Agreed. 20Gb is pretty beefy, even for those with moderately good internet. Kinda glad consoles can update while in standby.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I was wondering how they were going to fit this on 1 disc. I guess this answers it.

I suspect we'll see this more often than multi disc games this gen.

JaggedSac

Maybe it's too early in the morning and I'm dumb but this

Makes it sound almost like MP is a download rather than on the disc.

I think that person forgot LAN and split-screen were a big part of Halo and not just online MP. At which point, if you don't have internet to download the online MP, then you aren't going to be playing online MP anyway.

Shin-Ra

I supposed there had to be at least one negative thing about MCC, because everything else has been pretty close to perfection so far.

For me and many others with a fast download speed, this isn't a problem. But I understand it'll cause frustrations for those that don't.
They got anisotropic filtering in?

It was pretty shocking to see that CE MP footage without AF.

reddish

Neo Member
I don't mind the size if it's to get all the content in there, but I hope the preloaded digital version is for the entire ~65gb of content. It'd be really weird to me to preload 45gb and then have to download another 20gb after the game launches.

Not the end of the world, obviously, but would be cool to get to actually get to play it on launch day.

EDIT: Actually, though I have a good internet connection and like my games digital -- it's pretty messed up if there's no way to get the full game you bought without an internet connection (or might take an insane amount of time to get if you have a slow one with tons of room for faulty downloads). It's early, so maybe there's an explanation and we're jumping the gun -- but at first glance, this seems like a really weird and potentially bad move to save the manufacturing costs on a second disc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
probably too late but it would be better if they'd just do a 2-disc release instead...

If the worst thing about this game is having too much content to fit on a disk than we are in for a real treat.

singhr1

It says preload out today. We'll know if you can preload that 20 GB soon enough. Also, I hope there are some digital preorder skulls like there are for retailers.

Another interesting note, Spartan Ops delayed until December. That's fine I guess, everybody gonna be playing Campaign/Multiplayer first anyway.

HardRojo

Holy shit that's a lot of content! It just went gold too. Better pick it up at midnight and let the rest of the content download while you sleep or go to work.

JaggedSac

it will download it automatically.

Yes, but the problem is will it download before or after midnight. Some people preload so they can play exactly at the midnight EST. If this has to be downloaded after that point, it becomes a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom