• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems pretty fucking stupid. I don't believe for one nanosecond they couldn't fit the entire collection on the disc. This smells of "we set a hard date and couldn't really hit it, so you're gonna have to download a whole bunch of shit".

They talked about it in the gone gold post on waypoint.

We're going to reach a point were we will be preloading day 1 patches soon enough. 20 gigs is huge!

Smash 3DS did it

Wow, Nintendo is actually on the forefront of digital technology for once.

This seems pretty fucking stupid. I don't believe for one nanosecond they couldn't fit the entire collection on the disc. This smells of "we set a hard date and couldn't really hit it, so you're gonna have to download a whole bunch of shit".

Four games (plus 5's beta) in 1080p with like a dozen languages? Totally possible.

Fracas

#fuckonami
pLWuhUM.png

https://twitter.com/Danayoub/status/523105151717220352

Thank the lord

Leflus

A 20GB download is no problem for me personally, but this is a shitty decision by MS. The content should have been on a second disc.

I hate how some retail games are beginning to blur the line between physical and digital distribution. What's the point of buying a physical release if you still have to download a bunch of data?

BrunoM

What about people with data cap?

That sucks for them
I happen to not have one I live in Toronto Canada im with Rogers my download is 20mb/sec 8upload unlimited usage

But if I had a cap I would think twice as to when I would actually buy this game or check if it's a must have download to play the campain

Woffls

Lawd. I was gonna' play campaign first anyway, but this is about a day of downloading :\ Would happily pay a fiver for the extra disc instead.

ohlawd

don't have issues here if I can start playing campaign from the start

even better if we can preload the patch

edit: yaaaaaassssssss

edit2: wait no I'm going physical. k I'm back on square one that's ok

Looks like they made sure all the campaign features and functionality were present on the actual disc, for those who aren't connected, which is good. If someone wants to play MP, they'll have to be connected anyways, so seems more cost effective to have a big day one update, rather then throw another BD in there.

foxdvd

I am getting this but for me it sucks because of data caps with my ip. The smart ass remarks that act like people who are upset are being silly need to understand that if Microsoft keeps doing this with their games (dead rising was the same way) that when games start hitting with more frequency that I will have to choose what games to buy based on data limitations and not my wallet.

Netprints

Thats a big update but its not a huge deal to me. Comcast has a data limit but I have surpassed it many times without any penalties. Also I am going digital on the collection so I already planned on downloading the game.

JB1981

Good lord, that's ridiculous.

I really feel sorry for people with data caps. Seems like console makers and publishers are keen to just ignore that issue completely. If your ISP sucks then this basically seems like a giant "fuck you."

Whoa! The guy in your avatar is a dude named Brendan Castner. I went to school with him. He's a friend of mine! Where did you get this picture?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God damn.

Well I was always going to play campaign first, but for people who werent... Sorry.

The epic Master Chief saga on just one blu-ray. You'll have to dl the other half blu-ray tho.

So this thing takes up 70GB of storge? Nuts.

What about people with data cap?

These people will probably just have to stop living in 1998.

Sucks in general though, that'll take quite of a bit of time for the average internet connection. Hopefully they will make pre-loading available.
Edit: Post above mine, woop!

Welp, so much for "all 4 games on one disc"

I'm going to be buying digitally though, so I wonder if it will just automatically download it all at once...
EDIT, nevermind.

Akai__

Welcome to the digital future. :lol

Good thing, that we can pre-load everything.

OT, but I would really like to know, if the game comes with several languages or if the langauge depends on your system setting. I really don't want to play this in german.

Those 1080p cutscenes for halo 2 annoveraary really must have chewed up space on the disc.

Halo 2 had about an hour of cutscenes so that's probably 13-15 GB right there.

I don't really mind as long as xbl can handle the strain of all those downloads.

The Llama

Is it wrong that I secretly love large, mandatory patches because its just more ammo against the telecommunications industry and capped internet plans?

BriGuy

More uncompressed audio :p

Seriously though, these patch sizes are getting out of hand. And that's industry-wide, not just this case in particular. There's nothing more deflating than popping in that new game you've been dying to play only to find out you have a good 30-60 minutes of downloading and installation to sit through before you can start.

Finish your goddamn games before releasing them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom