• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 (XB1/PC) E3 Trailer - Know Your Enemy - Beta on Xbox One now

blamite

I really dislike the look of the Banished units and buildings. Compared to the HW1 covenant they look a lot less memorable, and aside from the Summit I can never tell what each building is at a glance.

The classic Covenant designs are so iconic, it'll be a real waste if they're totally left behind. Hopefully one of the other leaders can use the traditional aesthetic?

Welfare

Ugh, there should have been a death match mode. Domination is no fun when it's just fighting over Domination points.

Akai__

I really dislike the look of the Banished units and buildings. Compared to the HW1 covenant they look a lot less memorable, and aside from the Summit I can never tell what each building is at a glance.

The classic Covenant designs are so iconic, it'll be a real waste if they're totally left behind. Hopefully one of the other leaders can use the traditional aesthetic?

If you look closely at the Brute Chieftain, you can see him wearing something that looks like a Spartan suit. He even has a ODST Chestplate. Apart from that, if you look at his buildings and some units, it really looks like he is using UNSC and Covenant technology. Pure speculation, but that could explain why it looks so weird.

Hope the same as you, though. The differences between the aesthetics are huge. If not, there's still the Halo Wars 1 remaster. lol

Hawk269

Seems slightly smoother with the update, but not too much. When all the effects are working it does look pretty good, but a lot of times your bullets and flames etc. just do not appear, it seems very random when it does or does not do it.

I just lost 3 games in a row though. I am Platinum 2 level and been holding my own, but my random partners it has been pairing me up with are not as quick to get things done. Still having fun, but game definitely has a lot of potential, will just be hoping they can get it all working both performance and balance wise.

I just finished one incredible tight match my teammate was amazing and the enemy was fighting till the end the match result we won the match but the result was very close (100 - 0) the game needs work but the base is solid and it has a lot of potential

Hawk269

I just finished one incredible tight match my teammate was amazing and the enemy was fighting till the end the match result we won the match but the result was very close (100 - 0) the game needs work but the base is solid and it has a lot of potential

I just got done with a similar win as well. I think the final was 200 - 0 or somewhere around that. Very close game. The other team actually had more Steals and captures, but I think because we struck first and maintained ours longer is what won it over.

In Domination, is the only way tickets are lost is stealing or capturing areas or does killing enemy units/buildings also count towards degrading the enemies tickets?

I just got done with a similar win as well. I think the final was 200 - 0 or somewhere around that. Very close game. The other team actually had more Steals and captures, but I think because we struck first and maintained ours longer is what won it over.

In Domination, is the only way tickets are lost is stealing or capturing areas or does killing enemy units/buildings also count towards degrading the enemies tickets?

Awesome and I think that is only capturing areas

So i jsut downloaded the beta, and its on the Thanks for trying the beta screen press A to continue.

Except A literally does nothing

TheBeebs

Neo Member
They'll definitely need another beta.

There will be another beta. We (Shacknews) had Dan Ayoub on our live stream yesterday where he talked about having another beta closer to Halo Wars 2's launch.

Also, we got him to confirm the next beta will be available for both Xbox One and PC players:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95350/e3-2016-halo-wars-2-pc-beta-confirmed-coming-some-time-after-xbox-one-version-ends

I was going to create a new thread about this, but since I'm a lowly junior member, I'm still unable to.

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for Shacknews, although I'm not the author of this particular story]

Also peeps the beta will switching to deathmatch starting tomorrow. Looking forward to that. I wish I had more time to sink into domination. I'm jelly hearing/seeing people have higher ranks and more wins than me :p.

Unity2012

I played Stronghold yesterday at E3. It was crazy how good it is. It also ran smoother than Domination. I felt much better about the game's future after that play. Hopefully deathmatch starting today or tomorrow will bring a better idea of the game's potential.

With some refinement this could be a pretty good follow up to Halo Wars, but one thing is really bugging me. Why does Captain Cutter look and sound much younger than how he looked and sounded in Halo Wars? It strikes me as really odd, especially because Halo Wars took place before every other game in the series and Halo Wars 2 takes place after Halo 5.

HW_JamesCutter_Portrait.png

Kalentan

With some refinement this could be a pretty good follow up to Halo Wars, but one thing is really bugging me. Why does Captain Cutter look and sound much younger than how he looked and sounded in Halo Wars? It strikes me as really odd, especially because Halo Wars took place before every other game in the series and Halo Wars 2 takes place after Halo 5.

It's a retcon cause I think they realized they made him look too old. He's only in his 50's in Halo Wars, yet he looks far older. Avery Johnson for reference, was in his 70's for Halo CE - 3 and looked much younger.

Also he's been in cryo for like 28 or so years.

And I'm assuming they were in Cryo for the majority of the 28 years they spent floating around.. so they wouldn't age.

It's a retcon cause I think they realized they made him look too old. He's only in his 50's in Halo Wars, yet he looks far older. Avery Johnson for reference, was in his 70's for Halo CE - 3 and looked much younger.

Agreed but now he looks too young! Oh well, still its nice to have Cutter back. Wonder how Anders is doin' and the other Spartans.

Cranster

Banned
So I had a teammate rage quit because I had absolutely no idea how to play an RTS...

I need a playable tutorial
They should have added a mode against bots like in the original game so players can get use to the controls. Hopefully it's something that ill be included in the final game.

shoreu

Lol its like the reverse of maranda she looked so young in 2 and they aged her in anniversary.

Also Johnson spent lots of time in cryo and was a Spartan 1.

LiamR

Cyro does wonders for your complexion.

Karl2177

Don't forget Captain Keyes going from looking like he's 30 in Reach to like 70 in CE. (Later to be changed to the Reach model in CEA)

Kalentan

Lol its like the reverse of maranda she looked so young in 2 and they aged her in anniversary.

Also Johnson spent lots of time in cryo and was a Spartan 1.

Yeah I know. He still looked far older than other people at that age in Halo Wars.

Halo 1 Keyes is always how I will imagine Keyes. Cea 1 changed the artstyle a bit too much for my liking as a whole.

Anyways back on topic. Me and my buddy finally faced a duo who were as good as us. They gave us our first loss and taught us a few tricks in the process. Also.... they beat us by 10 points. Exactly 10 points. That adrenaline in close matches like that is what makes me enjoy good competitive gaming. It also made he disappointed in our following matches when we continued to face more new players to the game.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Getting pretty frustrated with the players I'm matched with. The last five games of so I've had to carry the whole weight myself. They only build their base, mass resources, no units, no movement, nothing. In the end they get wiped out and leave. By that time their army is just too large for me to handle. Le sigh.

Hawk269

Played 2 games of Deathmatch and glad to report that is seems to running a lot better. In both games, the special effects never disappeared like it did in Domination. Still a little sluggish, but overall pretty happy. The only odd thing is that on my second game we lost, but I still had both of my large bases and a full compliment of troops (I was at max population), but all of a sudden it said "defeat". So not sure why it did that.

Also, unlike Domination at the start of the game, it is just the main center base and 2 groups of marines. No Turrets already up or anything like that. There is no scoring after, it just shows the captured/steals like it does Domination. Being how early this beta is, I am sure it is like that. Just wish the beta was more planned out or if they held back a little so that it gives off a better impression.

I love RTS games but this one is falling flat for me. The size of your army is really limited. I wonder (hope) thats because its 4 players. I want huge old school RTS type armies.

That was my issue with the first Halo Wars.

I cannot get passed the damn thank you for participating screen. sigh. Figures. I've been waiting for deathmatch all week, and now I probably will never get to play it.

XAL

Hmm. So these have described my last 8 matches:

-Join game, teammate AFK, lose quickly - leave because why wait to lose horribly 30 minutes later
-Join game teammate plays for 5 minutes, builds nothing, gets zerged by enemy, quits
-Join game play for like 15 min, teammate rushes enemy base - before it can be destroyed the game is over

I don't think I've EVER seen UNSC beat the Brute Chieftan guy. Like, Brutes always win. Jumping hammer guys and hunters = game over.

The multiplayer has not been very fun at all. Can't even get to play a full game most of the times.

Also, it takes fucking forever to find and load into a match.

Hawk269

-Join game, teammate AFK, lose quickly - leave because why wait to lose horribly 30 minutes later
-Join game teammate plays for 5 minutes, builds nothing, gets zerged by enemy, quits
-Join game play for like 15 min, teammate rushes enemy base - before it can be destroyed the game is over

I don't think I've EVER seen UNSC beat the Brute Chieftan guy. Like, Brutes always win. Jumping hammer guys and hunters = game over.

The multiplayer has not been very fun at all. Can't even get to play a full game most of the times.

Use the UNSC flamethrower guys and increase the rank in the bunker and level up to the higher flame level and it should take them down easily. I usually have very good luck using that strategy

Hawk269

According to IGN the Beta has been extended by 2 more days until the 22nd now. Info per the link below:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/18/halo-wars-2-beta-extended-by-2-days

Played a few more games today. My last game lasted almost and hour, my team mate disconnected right at the start, so it was a 2 on 1 affair. I focused on building more bases and supplies/energy and it seemed the other 2 did as well, but they did not expand too many. At one point I had 6 large bases versus the 3 they had. Battles went back and forth and I was able to pull a win out. Very satisfying. One thing for sure, the special effects, explosions etc. did not disappear like it did a lot during domination matches. Seeing a Base explode both visually and audio wise is very nice. Still a lot of hitching and slowdown, but seems like they have a good base of a game going, just need to work on the tech stuff and balancing.

Black don't crack fam.

Unity2012

Good news!

According to IGN the Beta has been extended by 2 more days until the 22nd now. Info per the link below:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/18/halo-wars-2-beta-extended-by-2-days

Played a few more games today. My last game lasted almost and hour, my team mate disconnected right at the start, so it was a 2 on 1 affair. I focused on building more bases and supplies/energy and it seemed the other 2 did as well, but they did not expand too many. At one point I had 6 large bases versus the 3 they had. Battles went back and forth and I was able to pull a win out. Very satisfying. One thing for sure, the special effects, explosions etc. did not disappear like it did a lot during domination matches. Seeing a Base explode both visually and audio wise is very nice. Still a lot of hitching and slowdown, but seems like they have a good base of a game going, just need to work on the tech stuff and balancing.

Good news. I feel like I'm barely starting to get a hand of it, two more days is opportunity to enjoy more; and I agree with you, Deathmatch is definitely better balanced and works bettter than Domination but one can expect the Beta feel of it. A few more months will do amazing things to this build.

-I'm still having issues with units attacking garrisoned platforms. They seem to get locked in weird pathing a lot while trying to attack. Not sure if its a purely visual bug only

-Eradication is so cool to use but I feel it's way to early and hard to tell if it's OP or not despite it feeling strong but not balanced. It's like a nearly always a base wipe(especially on lower tech'd bases). But I haven't had much good competition so I haven't been able to test it in a tenser situation. I'm usually having excess resources that it actually ends up being easily affordable when it becomes available to me. Until I get closer matches(which probably wont happen because of the limited amount of high level players in the open beta) it will be hard to tell truly how balanced it is).

Can't air take both of em out real quick and painlessly? I've yet to experiment much with hammer brutes.

Jrs3000

I love the vultures new move. It seems like a problem with the animation but it fires a middle they ends with a huge explosion, the sound and effects of it are great! It seems you're limited to 1 Spartan which sucks along with having to research vehicle hacking. I think it should be it was in 1. I hope they change it so the location of your base at start isn't shown until you discover it.

_woLf

I really wish there was single player in the demo.

I am not good at online RTS games but I enjoy playing through single player. :/

Top Bottom