• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 (XB1/PC) E3 Trailer - Know Your Enemy - Beta on Xbox One now

Akai__

It would be great if the Tutorial wouln't always play on startup. The Beta is crashing often enough on me already and trying to skip it freezes the Beta like 9/10 times. Why not have a menu option that says Tutorial instead?

I know this is a real Beta and as such it's expected to have many issues, but I'm gonna play until I have my 3 Gold Packs for Halo 5. Gonna wait for the 2nd Beta which will hopefully be more stable and have many mechanical and visual improvements.

BondFancy

Reading a lot of negative impressions about this thing. Damn.
If you loved Halo Wars 1 one you will enjoy the beta. Is it rough around the edges? Yes, however I think people are exaggerating its shortcomings and mistaking a beta with a demo. I played HW1 for a couple 100 hours and I am really enjoying the beta and I am looking forward to whatever improvements they make for the final version. With that said I am not a fan of the mode they chose to showcase it, skirmish would've been a much better option, this domination style mode is much too quick.

mcfrank

Glad this is a true beta and they will hopefully be able to incorporate some fixes. I played 7 or so games with my nephew last night and we had a good time. It has been a while since I played Halo Wars, so I am pretty slow with they shortcuts, but we were still able to win most of our games.

Bugs I reported in the bug thread:

• Got stuck at main menu - heavily reported
  • A while into a close game, all effects stopped rendering including bullets and MAC Cannon blast.
  • A single brute was capturing point C and I was unable to attack him at all. He was able to capture the point even though my whole army was standing right next to him and I was issuing attack commands.
  • Purchasing the leader powers is very laggy. The interface does not respond as I would expect
  • Mac Cannon impact radius is unclear
  • I wish there was an easier way to use alternate fire modes when I have a group selected. Or if there is, the UI is not making that clear to me as an option.
  • While loading into the game and waiting for players, the UI leaves boxes all over the screen

B3N1

Finished the 10 placement matches, got into Gold 6 :)

After that first match I was very dissappointed, but playing a bit more made me realize that yes, this is still Halo Wars. With time it gets all better and you discover that everything has a purpose, it's just a bit different than HW1.

Renaming the flamethrowers got me fooled, thinking they're some Marine replacement, but the're the same as in the previous game, maybe a bit weaker. Snipers seem redundant with the flamethrowers, but actually teaming them up is insane against infantry and the range helps to overcome the Elite Rangers.

Cyclopses got a whole rework, only used them against Warthogs, they're okay I guess, I still miss Cobras a lot. The Kodiak is a beast when used right, add a few snipers and you can shred smaller infantries in seconds, without them even realizing what's happening.

I never really used Warthogs as they seem weak, nor Scorpions as the game ends by the time I build them.

New Covenant feels frehs with the grunts not being totally useless anymore, Jackals replaced by Elite Rangers are not that powerful, and I guess hunters stayed the same.

This domination mode is really a bad way to get to know the game though. It is based solely on rush techniques. Also if you are in a tie with the captures, both teams keep losing their points, which makes the games even shorter and usually the first team who captures two points, wins. It would make more sense to only decrease points on the losing team, based on the point difference between them, allowing for comebacks.

What I said in a previous post about jankyness, still stands, animations are missing, selection is occasionally bugged (D-Pad Right on new unit selects the one next to them too). Camera deadzone is high, it's hard to point at the sentinels flying above capture points.

UI is okay imo, though they went a bit overboard with notifications after every Veterancy. Commander points should be more visible, I only spent them when I heard the announcer say that I got one, or by wanting to check the player score with the back button. Building percentages are missing, and menus are a bit laggy. Could use some options too, after upgrading a supply pad, I'd love if it would just close the ring menu, or switching up LT/LB buttons. Pinging is silent, so useless in current state.

The leader powers seem very weak. Healing being locked behind an unlock is good I think, as you can have it on Covenant side now, but the 1 time mac blast and 1 fucking ODST drop is not enough. It seems that CA is trying to unify the leaders in a way that helps the RPS system more, but if I pick Cutter I wanna spam those dudes all the time :D

I also miss the 2-3 upgrades on every Unit, I guess for that there is the universal Vehicle/Infantry/Air level.

I don't know what they are planning with new leaders, but locking them behind season pass is uncool, considering Cutter is only Cutter in having a one-time MAC and 1 ODST drop so far. I'd love a way to unlock them like in Rainbow Six Siege instead of paying up front.

ta155

I know it's a beta but going back and forth from this to the original game does not do it any favours from a visual standpoint. It really doesn't hold up very well. I wouldn't kick up a fuss if someone saw it for the first time and thought it was a 360 game.

It's a Beta, seriously guys. Halo 5 had alot of issues with it's public Beta aswell. I don't know why people honestly expect these to run like Demo's when they are unfinished and unpolished builds.

Read my previous posts in this thread.

The issues aren't just a few performance issues. It's core gameplay and balance issues as well.

Thanks Tashi for the info. I'll post my feedback on the waypoint threads.

This is one of the first betas in a long time that feels like an actual beta(alpha) and not something near-to-completion with locked in features/ideas. The game definitely can still be as good or better than Halo Wars 1 easily, it definitely doesn't give that vibe yet though.

Figments

Read my previous posts in this thread.

The issues aren't just a few performance issues. It's core gameplay and balance issues as well.

These are the posts I found throughout the thread you've made regarding your position on the problems the game has:

It needs alot more than technical polish. Even if everything is fixed, it's still a dull game.

feels like a pre-alpha.

It's hard to tell who is to blame for this mess but it's probably a bit of both. In terms of CA they have got alot better in recent years, with total war warhammer being a very well optimised and amazing game released just last month. However they do have a job posting for LEAD GAMEPLAY DESIGNER on their website suggesting that they fired the old one or atleast took him away from his position.

But it's hard to believe it is just CA's fault though, the guy in charge of this project at 343i is Dan Ayoub. The guy who was also the executive producer responsible for the Master chief collection.

Either way I hope CA do get a lead designer soon who can actually make the game fun and fix the countless problems this game has with optimisation, balance and lack of appeal.

You don't explain anything. You just say it's dull, feels like way earlier than a beta, and then blame your nebulous complaints on the lack of a lead designer and the involvement of Dan Ayoub. Please explain in detail what your actual problems are. "It's dull" is not a good criticism of anything unless you go on to explain /why/ it's dull.

Why is it dull?

What core gameplay and balance issues are you seeing, and why are they issues?

Et cetera.

Koolin is one of the few in here actually detailing their issues with the game, and that's the shit that helps things along towards getting fixed (even if I disagree with them on the involvement of Ayoub being any sort of indicator on the lack of quality).

This game controls like absolute shit compared to HW1.

And it sucks how domination doesn't allow you any time to build up your units.

Karl2177

At the moment I have 60 minutes logged on the title but 0 played. After this attempt, if I can't even get to the main menu, I'm calling it quits.

I got in, but now it's hanging at the loading screen.

Having turrets at your base automatically built is a bad idea I think. It takes a lot of option and strategy off the table for players. What was great about them in Halo Wars 1 was the decision you needed to make of whether you should invest valuable supplies in them, especially early in the game, to defend against leader and warthog rushes. Or should you risk putting all your supplies into base upgrades and units when a prophet who can strike anytime lurks on the other side of the map? What if I'm playing covenant and want to leader rush a base? If my scout shows no turrets I may make the choice and take the risk to attack. But now, automatically my leaders/units are going to start taking damage before they even touch the enemy base, thus less strategy for players to use again.
I'm hoping this is just a thing for Domination, and will be different in Deathmatch.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
At the moment I have 60 minutes logged on the title but 0 played. After this attempt, if I can't even get to the main menu, I'm calling it quits.

I got in, but now it's hanging at the loading screen.

same, almost. i can consistently get into matchmaking but have yet to find a game. frustrating.

Played a match yesterday, though it bugged out and somehow my team lost after we destroyed both enemies.

Today I can't even get past the main menu "B Skip" screen.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHalMh0IrqA This worked for me. This is crazy though. MCC part 2. Poor Dan can't catch a break.

Edit 2: Got in a game after a 5 minute loading screen. Now, I can see the game but can't interact with anything because there is a text box that says "waiting for players" on my screen. My teammate is currently moving around and capturing points. No way to quit the game. I had to restart the whole application. This reminds me of how broken MCC was and still is.

Does anyone on gaf wanna play with me. I want to do another couple matches of domination before they pull it down tonight for deathmatch.
Undefeated so far but it's been scary a some games(1 game had a partner quit at beginning) and a few matches I've had to fully carry my teammate.
I wanna see how high of a rank I can get before they pull it down

Hawk269

I have been able to play about 15 games so far, only lost 1. Contrary to what some have said, just because you loose 2 capture areas, does not mean that it is over. My team mate was not very good and at one point the other team had 4 out 5 of the capture points and we began a big comeback. We were down almost 2500 points and came back to win with 1000 points left.

Mr Croft

I have played it for about 20 hours and here is my take.

Im not going to bash the game for its obvious bugs I know it is a beta. A very early beta for a product that's not coming anytime soon. My biggest issue with the gameplay is the infantry. My friend and I have not lost a single game because of how incredibly powerful the infantry is. The Marines can learn rocket launcher pretty fast and it is no longer an ability they are constantly free shooting rockets lol.... And those flamethrowers... Geez. Anyway it's still very early I enjoy the game but something has to be done about the balance because the rock paper Scissors method isn't working correctly right now.

Also those nightingale are so fun

B3N1

I have been able to play about 15 games so far, only lost 1. Contrary to what some have said, just because you loose 2 capture areas, does not mean that it is over. My team mate was not very good and at one point the other team had 4 out 5 of the capture points and we began a big comeback. We were down almost 2500 points and came back to win with 1000 points left.

Yes, comebacks are possible, but you need to capture all the points to stop losing your tickets. This requires too much effort imo. Yesterday we turned a game around this way, it was fun as hell, but I don't think they should stick with this type of scoring on the long run.

Yes, comebacks are possible, but you need to capture all the points to stop losing your tickets. This requires too much effort imo. Yesterday we turned a game around this way, it was fun as hell, but I don't think they should stick with this type of scoring on the long run.

So the main objective of the game is too much effort?

Remember this guys? (Escalation Issue #4 - Attack of Infinity)

217403_lk_jpg.jpg

What about the old Vultures, Sparrowhawks? Stolen from SoF, or maybe Arcadia/Harvest?

B3N1

So the main objective of the game is too much effort?

Comebacks are. Turning a Domination match around requiring not only having the majority of the captures, but full domination is a lot I think.

Both teams start around 5000 tickets, with 2 easy caps first, you'll get each other's down to 3500-4000, and maybe then the battle starts on the central point or the top ones. During that, tickets are still draining. The capture points on the sides are usually kept for their respective teams.

If you play the game like a normal skirmish match (as most players do now), by the time the fights start the other team has a 1000 point lead. You could get even then by holding the 4 points out of five. For that you only need infantry.

By writing this up, I realize that the game mode makes sense in a way, but it is so far from how I (and the friends I played with so far) used to play Halo Wars, that it just feels stupid at first. But I still believe that 5000 tickets are spent too fast.

Going to play a few matches now, see how jackrabbits could be utilized to just steal the enemy points, and save our tickets.

Cruxist

So, went to go pre-order the special edition on Amazon and it looks like its sold out already? Or its only available as a digital edition? Anybody else seeing this?

Rodelero

You don't explain anything. You just say it's dull, feels like way earlier than a beta, and then blame your nebulous complaints on the lack of a lead designer and the involvement of Dan Ayoub. Please explain in detail what your actual problems are. "It's dull" is not a good criticism of anything unless you go on to explain /why/ it's dull.

In general, I agree that criticism should be constructive.

However, to a large extent, I feel like this game's flaws don't really need detailed description. Not that it's not worth the effort detailing them, but that, this game is currently such a hot mess that it should be readily apparent to anyone with any experience playing strategy games or the first game.

It's very hard to give constructive feedback about something that is frankly shockingly broken. It's hard to be enthusiastic about playing something which, at its best moments, feels like a poor copy of the original game. To a fairly large extent I feel that the poor performance, ridiculously ill-designed game mode, and clunky as hell controls make it REALLY hard to look in detail at any of the deeper issues the game may or may not have. It makes it practically impossible to judge the importance of the new commander tech tree system, or the dual-resource economy, when every single thing you do feels like a chore, when every half way significant battle sends the game into chug city, and when any closely fought match ends before it actually gets good.

Realistically, Creative and 343 have their work cut out to make a game that is as good as Halo Wars, which is alarming because this game is in most areas a shameless copy of the original. There are large swathes of the game that have seen no change whatsoever, and the areas that have seen innovation are primarily sideways or backwards steps. I know the release date is a way off, but I'm starting to feel it's still overly optimistic despite the delay.

One thing's for certain, I don't think I would buy this game without a further opportunity to try it for free, because this beta has been incredibly depressing.

Comebacks are. Turning a Domination match around requiring not only having the majority of the captures, but full domination is a lot I think.

Both teams start around 5000 tickets, with 2 easy caps first, you'll get each other's down to 3500-4000, and maybe then the battle starts on the central point or the top ones. During that, tickets are still draining. The capture points on the sides are usually kept for their respective teams.

If you play the game like a normal skirmish match (as most players do now), by the time the fights start the other team has a 1000 point lead. You could get even then by holding the 4 points out of five. For that you only need infantry.

By writing this up, I realize that the game mode makes sense in a way, but it is so far from how I (and the friends I played with so far) used to play Halo Wars, that it just feels stupid at first. But I still believe that 5000 tickets are spent too fast.

Going to play a few matches now, see how jackrabbits could be utilized to just steal the enemy points, and save our tickets.

Once i stopped trying to play it like a Skirmish match, and decided to Zerg rush the points with the scout units, this particular gametype makes more sense. I just wish the beta had Skirmish.

You don't explain anything. You just say it's dull, feels like way earlier than a beta, and then blame your nebulous complaints on the lack of a lead designer and the involvement of Dan Ayoub.

In terms of Dan Ayoub im not trying to shift the blame to him, im just saying that i'm not confident the issues will be fixed by launch

Please explain in detail what your actual problems are. "It's dull" is not a good criticism of anything unless you go on to explain /why/ it's dull.

Why is it dull?

What core gameplay and balance issues are you seeing, and why are they issues?

Et cetera.

Im not going to give a long list or explanation of every problem i've found but i will point out some of the major things that other people have also pointed out in this thread.

- Controls are horrible and sometimes unresponsive (RB either takes 1/2 seconds to select local units or doesn't work at all)
- Performance is poor in terms of framerate
- It is hard to tell what is going on sometimes due to poor unit and base visibility. This is mixed with very poor animations (which sometimes don't trigger) that makes it difficult to tell one side is fighting another.
- Fluidity and movement of the first halo wars has gone and now it feels clunky.
- Big moments like a scarab appearing, a big laser from the sky or even 10 ODST squads dropping at once are no where to be seen and are represented at all in the game.
- In terms of balancing one person talked about how 7 wolverines were destroyed by 1/2 banshees.
- Upgrading tech feels like it has no actual effect alot of the time, and cooldown for y ability on units are hard to find/no existent.

I wont bore you with more but what I will say is that the issues with this game are very apparent and you dont need me to spell it out. In fact Rodelero put it best.

It's very hard to give constructive feedback about something that is frankly shockingly broken.

It was pretty funny I had a huge drop in frame rate with no enemies on screen, then an army of covenant infantry came out of the fog of war. Glad I'll be getting this on PC.

nillapuddin

- Controls are horrible and sometimes unresponsive (RB either takes 1/2 seconds to select local units or doesn't work at all)
- Performance is poor in terms of framerate
- It is hard to tell what is going on sometimes due to poor unit and base visibility. This is mixed with very poor animations (which sometimes don't trigger) that makes it difficult to tell one side is fighting another.
- Fluidity and movement of the first halo wars has gone and now it feels clunky.
- Big moments like a scarab appearing, a big laser from the sky or even 10 ODST squads dropping at once are no where to be seen and are represented at all in the game.
- Cooldown for y ability on units are hard to find/no existent.

8 months from release. BETA.

- In terms of balancing one person talked about how 7 wolverines were destroyed by 1/2 banshees.
- Upgrading tech feels like it has no actual effect alot of the time

1. Guarantee that will never ever happen.
2. Absolutely wrong, try playing an entire game with level 1 units, and play with level 3 units, let me know how it works out for you.

nillapuddin

Im glad theres no competitive crossplay, but Im hoping the same way with Gears 4 that there is cooperative crossplay

Is there any way to increase the number of personnel beyond 60?

yes

UNSC

Armory -> Reinforcements

Banished has the same equivalent but I forget the name

8 months from release. BETA.
8 months is not alot of time, especially at the degree and number of problems.

1. Guarantee that will never ever happen.
Ok, im lying. you got me?

Honestly i have no idea what to say to that.

2. Absolutely wrong, try playing an entire game with level 1 units, and play with level 3 units, let me know how it works out for you.

Im talking about upgrades to individual units and the upgrades from pressing the back button.

Johnohno

Did they fix the freezing in menus/loading screens? Anyone?

I only had this happen once and it was to do with my xbox downloading updates for other games.

Played the game in the morning fine, shut it down on instant on then when I booted up I had update downloads going. When I tried launching the beta I kept getting the freeze but as soon as my updates had finished it worked fine again.

shandy706

Are we getting any Singleplayer to try at any point?

I have no interest in online play. Only care about local skirmish and/or campaign.

Compsiox

Banned

What's the point of this reply? It's not like he thinks its the release of the full game.

I only had this happen once and it was to do with my xbox downloading updates for other games.

Played the game in the morning fine, shut it down on instant on then when I booted up I had update downloads going. When I tried launching the beta I kept getting the freeze but as soon as my updates had finished it worked fine again.

I tried multiple times throughout the day for 2 days and I don't think anything was updating.

Hawk269

I am up to 25 games played and echo a lot of the issues many of you have experienced. Even with all that said, I am still having a lot of fun and I can see a lot of potential in the game if they are able to fix some of the issues. We don't know how old this beta is, as previous beta's, it could be something that is a few months old and was put together a while ago.

We are still 8 months from launch and they have a lot of work to do, but I have faith that they can pull it off. My main concern with games like this is ensuring that the balance is just right and that in the long run might be the biggest challenge. I am just downloading the 3gb update, I am off today, so I will be able to provide any info as soon as I get a few games in after the update downloads.

Johnohno

I tried multiple times throughout the day for 2 days and I don't think anything was updating.

Ah sorry to hear that. I'd let you know what changes there are, if any, but it got to 86% then the speed completely died again like it did when it launched :-(

Zyae

You can tell the fun game is still there underneath but it needs a lot of work. Good thing its still like 8 months out.

Top Bottom