• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 (XB1/PC) E3 Trailer - Know Your Enemy - Beta on Xbox One now

koolin101

Neo Member
Lots of work needed for this game clearly. Good to them for putting it out early. Number of UI related items which I am sure this is no where near final, it better not be
  • mini map is too big
  • bottom location of information is too much, pop, currency, energy should be at the top along with mini map
  • no feedback when selecting a move location on the map
  • no building progress on base slots
  • build marines from main base???
  • population count of marines is 3 and hogs is 5??? and we have a total pop start of 60 - this is worse than HW1
  • Bases look too much of the same, not enough team color to them
  • Base slots too hard to tell apart, supply pads look terrible
  • performance is very bad
  • in combat animation is bad or units not showing they are in combat
  • changes in controls, select all and move fast are bad changes - restore HW1 controls or give an option to
I am deeply concerned that Dan Ayoub is involved in this project. After the failure of leadership and ownership of MCC I find it amazing that they put him front end center for another farmed out project. This is not meant as a person attack on Dan but all I can say is I have no trust in his ability to properly execute a project successfully and him given this leadership of HW2 is an indication that 343 nor Microsoft sees this as a high priority project that they want to succeed.

Akai__

Absolutely dominated in the 1st game, but I don't even know what was happening half the time and I was really good in Halo Wars 1.

Some things:

- First team that can get from 5000 points down to 0 wins the game. There is 5 Objectives that deplete your points. You need to capture them.
- They splitted the Ressources into Minerals and Power. You have to collect both ressources, in order to build certain units and upgrades. Both require a seperate building.
- Really don't like the UI. I have troubble reading anything.
- I played as the Brute Chieftain and his Special Power didn't want to activate.
- New Units look pretty awesome.
- Had troubble identifying the buildings as the Brute Chieftain.
- All Units and Local Units are on the same button, which is RB. Click for Local, Hold for All.
- Don't like the new D-Pad shortcuts. Was pressing all directions and only one did something, which was jumping to your base.

jem0208

I am deeply concerned that Dan Ayoub is involved in this project. After the failure of leadership and ownership of MCC I find it amazing that they put him front end center for another farmed out project. This is not meant as a person attack on Dan but all I can say is I have no trust in his ability to properly execute a project successfully and him given this leadership of HW2 is an indication that 343 nor Microsoft sees this as a high priority project that they want to succeed.

The MCC was a very different and much more ambitious project than this.

Lots of work needed for this game clearly. Good to them for putting it out early. Number of UI related items which I am sure this is no where near final, it better not be
  • mini map is too big
  • bottom location of information is too much, pop, currency, energy should be at the top along with mini map
  • population count of marines is 3 and hogs is 5??? and we have a total pop start of 60 - this is worse than HW1
  • changes in controls, select all and move fast are bad changes - restore HW1 controls or give an option to
Wow that sounds extremely disappointing. 3 units for a single marine squad? That's ridiculous You can only hand 20 marine squads then? Whereas in HW1 you can have up to 50. As someone who has put hundreds of hours into HW1 what I'm hearing of the beta is so disappointing.

B3N1

Okay, VERY quick impressions after a 20 min long match.

It's 2v2 domination, felt like Dawn of War 2 (which I really did not like).
Teammate left after 2 minutes disgonbgud.gif
All units is long RB, fast scroll is LB, like they really wanted to fuck with me. Spirit of Fire (?) moved to LT, Mac should be here, pressed A on it, nothing happened. D-pad up is now Global rally point which I hate, but pressed everytime I wanted to bring up Spirit of Fire.

Commander upgrades have a skill tree now, when pressing back/view button.
I played Cutter, His ODSTs are 1 (one!) unit you can call in via the new Spirit of Fire.

Energy is also a resource now you have to stock up on, UNSC has the age-mechanic from Covenant in HW1. I feel like this is a bit too much. So you got 2 resources to look out for, plus the universal upgrade.

No marines/flamethrowers in barracks wtf. (Marines could be bought from a small base)
No cobras wtf.

I took 3/6 capture points, then the enemy realized what the game mode is about and rushed me the fuck down with their twice as size army.

Otherwise game runs janky, local units doesn't always work on first press, Paint select takes too long and IMO general unit visibility is worse (I'm saying this after 1 match when I was playing red team in the orange desert). Also I think some animations are missing, my warthogs did not really shoot anything, and maybe the MAC blast worked but the animation wasn't there for it.

Going to jump back in after Ubi pressconf, but it is a letdown so far, not only in stability (because it's a beta, I know), but in mechanics, and units.

I really loved HW1 (did 1000G), but so far I'm not impressed. I feel I'll enjoy HW Definitive Edition a lot more.

Moving this from bottom of page as I see a lot of us agree.

Lee

Super bummed with what I'm seeing and hearing. I was excited to spend a few hours on this tomorrow and Wednesday. Why did they mess with the brilliant simplicity of HW1? People had their complaints but I thought it was pretty much agreed that the control scheme was excellent.

Gowans

It super drops you in the deep end. Quick video tutorial the go into multi.

Think I'm gona have to sit and spend some time on this, lots still to change on this.

Roche

Got a game in, it definitely has potential but there's a lot more work to do.

The low unit cap and general poor performance is a bummer but I'm so damn excited more Halo Wars is happening.

Hey all, my impressions after 3 matches in HW2:

Keep in mind i'm a Hardcore Halo Wars fan, with 700+ hrs played online and over 1000+ hrs when combined with campaign and skirmish.

So i played 3 matches all cutter and won all.

-UI is very bad.

-Unit costs are high, 60 population capacity but 1 scorpion costs 7. Can be upgraded to 80 population.

-Game is very slow.

-Movement and control is not in any way comparable to the fluidity of Halo Wars. It's super clunky.

-Tech structure has been completely overhauled, not sure if for the best.

-Domination gametype layout is not good, instead of one team north and another south, both teams start in south. Would rather have Standard gametype.

Edit:

So i've played a few more matches and i'm getting a better feel for the game. I still dislike Domination but the potential to be a worthy successor to Halo Wars is there.

Very sad that they messed with Some abilities and unit structures that were very balanced/fun. I'm unhappy with some small changes to gameplay here and there but hopefully it improves a lot with player feedback.

Rizific

i like halo, and i like RTS. but no way in hell im going to play an RTS with a controller. i guess ill wait for pc beta, or if reception is overwhelmingly positive ill just day1 it on pc.

Unity2012

The game clearly opens with a message reminder of being a pre-alpha beta and warns of its shortcomings including crashes. I was not expecting an almost perfect or beautiful build but more like a placeholders practice build. It looks good for what it is.

My only problem is that I wish there was a skirmish mode or at least one mission to get used to all the new changes. It feels rougher and frustrating when one is thrown into a MP battle almost blind for what to do.

So far agreeing with most posters
-building designs look really bad. The first game had bases that were easy to tell apart
-controls feel extrenely clunky atm
-idle animations aren't as good as the first game
-visual design seems to blend all together compared to first game when units are together. Maybe it's just me putting many hours into the first game but I could discern different unit types fairly easily even when there were tons of units on the screen.

Also the lag and general bugs that I hope will be squashed. Main concern is still the controls feeling clunky.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
  • mini map is too big

Some of this is probably due to the type of game mode we are playing. There will be another one soon.

• mini map is too big

Yeah have to agree.
Played my first match now and i really didnt know what happened lol

Cranster

Banned
i like halo, and i like RTS. but no way in hell im going to play an RTS with a controller. i guess ill wait for pc beta, or if reception is overwhelmingly positive ill just day1 it on pc.
Have you played the original Halo Wars? If not your missing out. It played great with a controller.

Kalentan

I'm honestly just going to play till I get to 5 matches (to get the Halo 5 gold req packs) and then wait for the PC beta...

I haven't downloaded it yet, but what's the deal with the main menu being a Spartan wearing Mark VI instead of the Mark IV seen in the trailers?

Get to main menu, hit start, hit start

if you try and hit x and do profile it will freeze

It freezes for me every time I hit start. That's if I'm lucky enough for it to even get to the title screen. Most of the time it just goes black after the splash.

Only played two games but man this game is bad. Unresponsive UI, boring units and no personality. I know it's a beta but im so dissapointed. Will try to play more tommorow.

Wow! I came here to say that Halo Wars 2 and its current beta was the first time I've been envious of XB1 owners since I don't have one. (Ok maybe I was a little envious with Sunset Overdrive too) After reading these reviews...ehh...not so much with the envious thing anymore.

Arkanius

I'm very sad the opinions are not good...
I hope they can fix everything until release.

Otherwise, I'll stay with Halo Wars Definitive Edition

Seth

Well, game locks up either at the title screen or during the tutorial video. Even locks up when i try to skip tutorial video. Tried 10+ times. Fuck it, deleted it. The tutorial video looked like garbage, what i could see of it. Looked like bad FPS and lots of screen tearing. Unsure if the actual game is like that since i couldn't get to it. But theres my impression of it.

WadeitOut

I can't believe they expect to launch this game next month.

Of course I am assuming that's when the game is releasing based on the comments here.

The ensemble wars game definitely had more personality but I'm hoping wars twos issued in that sense is just due to it being a beta. They need to polish this game a lot to get it up to the standard it needs to be and they only have a year.

The ensemble wars game definitely had more personality but I'm hoping wars twos issued in that sense is just due to it being a beta. They need to polish this game a lot to get it up to the standard it needs to be and they only have a year.

It needs alot more than technical polish. Even if everything is fixed, it's still a dull game.

.shin

Banned
I can't believe they expect to launch this game next month.

Of course I am assuming that's when the game is releasing based on the comments here.

Yeah! Fuck people for being upset that they can't even get past the start menu so they can play it!

Welfare

Stuck in game with this waiting for players message while my team mate and the enemy are playing.

Have to quit.

Gurrry

Damn I cant even get past the title screen. Almost got into a game, but it locked up during the loading screen.

Yeah I've played a couple games and this is absolute garbage.

•I sent my units to capture an enemy point but once there nothing happened
•Units take way too long to build I couldn't get a scorpion tank out until 10 minutes into the game
•Controls are downright awful. It completely goes against what made Halo Wars 1 great.
•Why does 5 marine squads completely annihilate my heavy tanks?
•It's impossible to tell if your units have used their special ability
•The UI is just awful
•Why are enemies not opposite of each other but now they are prectically right next to each other?

it's not downloading on my console wtf
Wouldnt on mine either from the xbox app but when I checked ready to install list it was under a pictureless tile with the name legdrop for some reason and it launched right from there even though it's in ready to install list. Pretty strange I'm on the new preview build so that may have something to do with it I suppose check to see if you have a legdrop tile there though. Good luck

Top Bottom