• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 (XB1/PC) E3 Trailer - Know Your Enemy - Beta on Xbox One now

nillapuddin

You know what an RTS beta needs

BOTS

jeeze, this isnt exactly a pick up and play thing

That, combined with how different the controls are from HW1, I would love to play bots and get acclimated to the game.

huge mistake imo.

Gurrry

I gave it about 10 tries. Couldnt get into a game. Really disapointing, but Ill try later or tomorrow. This is a true beta.

Unity2012

I gave it about 10 tries. Couldnt get into a game. Really disapointing, but Ill try later or tomorrow. This is a true beta.

I had a black screen the first time I tried it; rebooted the X1 and no problems getting into a match. I've played every match I joined since then.

Try rebooting the console. Hope it helps.

I played one match and we won. In fairness, I don't think anyone knew what they were doing really.

The tutorial video is a nice little intro, but that is about it. You are thrown in the deep end.

This really could have done with an 'intro' interactive tutorial, even just a basic mission, to get people used to the mechanics.

I won't be too put off by this, but I can see how some people would be.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That they would spend time updating and porting the game instead of just giving away the original via BC for those on Xbox One.

Because BCs only advantage is not having to plug your 360 in.

An actual remaster is better in every way.

BC is the equivalent of a DVD VCR combo, it can still play all your old VHS movies, but they still look like shit.

CISphil

Neo Member
Question. After I played a game it said "9 placement matches left"

What does this mean?

Most likely a matchmaking rank similar to what Halo 5 does. I've only played 2 matches so far so I've not ranked yet. Loving what I played so far though, nice to see HW expanded on (though I hope there is more tech in the finished game, there's very few unit upgrades in the beta)

Smidget

Taking forever to download. At 90% been downloading for 2 hours. I have a 200 megabit connection. This is ridiculous.

Same here :/ My downloads on my XB1 have been really slow lately for some reason. Who knows. Oh well, it'll download overnight.

koolin101

Neo Member
Having played some more of this I am wondering what the hell is the point of the effort CA/343 have put in thus far. Fine its a "beta" but when your beta takes all the positives of the original and makes them worse than the 7 year old original you have a huge problem. The message it sends to fans is hey, we don't care about this like you do.

How do you not start from what worked so well and then enhance stuff. All you had to do was take HW1, enhance the graphics, slightly larger zoom mode, increase pop count, add some new BALANCED units, new maps and ship it. Blows my mind that 7 years later and however many more times powerful console and I have a smaller pop cap...what?! The controls are so sluggish, the UI terrible, the graphics particularly the bases look so bad, awful performance, ugh so frustrated and disappointed beyond belief. Well aware its a beta or even alpha but it doesn't contain the spirit of HW, really questions/re-enforces the integrity of 343 in their stewardship of Halo. With how good HW1 it really felt like this should have been a no brainier.

It also seems to show that 343 doesn't learn at all from their past experiences, the number of problems people are having even with launching the beta is crushing their image, well maybe re-enforcing at this point since it is basically their MO now. I am somewhat angry at myself but totally should have expected as much from 343. 343's oversight on this project seems to bad as well, they clearly do not understand the original game or the fundamentals that made it so great. I have no history with CA but it really feels like you haven't even played the first halo wars. Having played HW1 the previous evening, I literally am leaving the beta to go back to HW1 because it is miles better.

Huge error announcing a date for this already. The one good thing you have done though is put this "beta" in our hands and hopefully early enough or the impact of this feedback will cause you to re-think your direction. At this point it probably would be a good idea to just re-release HW1 with your planned definitive edition on your already announced date, give us a map pack and delay HW2 for another year. Additional betas/hands on checkpoints are going to be needed to restore any hope.

With that logic they may as well never remaster another game available on last gen.

I'm assuming the goal was to provide an enhanced experience, not the same one from 7 years ago. Nothing weird or crazy about that.

Because BCs only advantage is not having to plug your 360 in.

An actual remaster is better in every way.

BC is the equivalent of a DVD VCR combo, it can still play all your old VHS movies, but they still look like shit.
I agree. I'm excited about the remaster. I'm just saying that it is crazy/shocking/surprising in a good way that they would choose to do so. Especially because it costs them both time and money to undertake such a project. They could have easily just sold HW2+Season Pass for $80 but they are including the remaster as well. Sorry if crazy sounded bad. Crazy in a surprising way.

It also seems to show that 343 doesn't learn at all from their past experiences, the number of problems people are having even with launching the beta is crushing their image, well maybe re-enforcing at this point since it is basically their MO now. I am somewhat angry at myself but totally should have expected as much from 343. 343's oversight on this project has clearly been terrible, clearly does not understand the original game or the fundamentals that made it so great. I have no history with CA but it really feels like you haven't even played the first halo wars. Having played HW1 the previous evening, I literally am leaving the beta to go back to HW1 because it is miles better.

It's hard to tell who is to blame for this mess but it's probably a bit of both. In terms of CA they have got alot better in recent years, with total war warhammer being a very well optimised and amazing game released just last month. However they do have a job posting for LEAD GAMEPLAY DESIGNER on their website suggesting that they fired the old one or atleast took him away from his position.

But it's hard to believe it is just CA's fault though, the guy in charge of this project at 343i is Dan Ayoub. The guy who was also the executive producer responsible for the Master chief collection.

Either way I hope CA do get a lead designer soon who can actually make the game fun and fix the countless problems this game has with optimisation, balance and lack of appeal.

Just finished my placements with my buddy. We got Plat 3/4 but with the current player base I don't know if that really means anything considering most have probably never even played domination or a wars game. Still need way more playtime to determine what else can be improved.

Does creative ensembly/343 have a forum that we can post our feedback on? The last thing I want is this game to fail competitively.

Having played some more of this I am wondering what the hell is the point of the effort CA/343 have put in thus far. Fine its a "beta" but when your beta takes all the positives of the original and makes them worse than the 7 year old original you have a huge problem. The message it sends to fans is hey, we don't care about this like you do.

How do you not start from what worked so well and then enhance stuff. All you had to do was take HW1, enhance the graphics, slightly larger zoom mode, increase pop count, add some new BALANCED units, new maps and ship it. Blows my mind that 7 years later and however many more times powerful console and I have a smaller pop cap...what?! The controls are so sluggish, the UI terrible, the graphics particularly the bases look so bad, awful performance, ugh so frustrated and disappointed beyond belief. Well aware its a beta or even alpha but it doesn't contain the spirit of HW, really questions/re-enforces the integrity of 343 in their stewardship of Halo. With how good HW1 it really felt like this should have been a no brainier.

It also seems to show that 343 doesn't learn at all from their past experiences, the number of problems people are having even with launching the beta is crushing their image, well maybe re-enforcing at this point since it is basically their MO now. I am somewhat angry at myself but totally should have expected as much from 343. 343's oversight on this project seems to bad as well, they clearly do not understand the original game or the fundamentals that made it so great. I have no history with CA but it really feels like you haven't even played the first halo wars. Having played HW1 the previous evening, I literally am leaving the beta to go back to HW1 because it is miles better.

Huge error announcing a date for this already. The one good thing you have done though is put this "beta" in our hands and hopefully early enough or the impact of this feedback will cause you to re-think your direction. At this point it probably would be a good idea to just re-release HW1 with your planned definitive edition on your already announced date, give us a map pack and delay HW2 for another year. Additional betas/hands on checkpoints are going to be needed to restore any hope.
Completely agree with what you said. It feels like 343/CA read how HW1 played but never actually experienced how it played. This caused them to make a game that is not recognizable at all as Halo Wars.

Toa TAK

Banned
You know what an RTS beta needs

BOTS

jeeze, this isnt exactly a pick up and play thing

That, combined with how different the controls are from HW1, I would love to play bots and get acclimated to the game.

huge mistake imo.
Yes, Skrmish mode is sorely missing.

I played that more than online in the first.

KDC720

Yeah its real rough, technically and gameplay wise. Good thing it's just a beta because it looks like they have a lot of work to do on this.

Agree.

I wonder if that Remaster of HW1 is even going to work...

Wonder if someone asked Dan Ayoub about MCC already at E3 lol

And it was really cheeky to ask for a Preorder after you played a Match of this horrible Beta or Alpha whatever...

Cranster

Banned
It's hard to tell who is to blame for this mess but it's probably a bit of both. In terms of CA they have got alot better in recent years, with total war warhammer being a very well optimised and amazing game released just last month. However they do have a job posting for LEAD GAMEPLAY DESIGNER on their website suggesting that they fired the old one or atleast took him away from his position.

But it's hard to believe it is just CA's fault though, the guy in charge of this project at 343i is Dan Ayoub. The guy who was also the executive producer responsible for the Master chief collection.

Either way I hope CA do get a lead designer soon who can actually make the game fun and fix the countless problems this game has with optimisation, balance and lack of appeal.
It's a Beta, seriously guys. Halo 5 had alot of issues with it's public Beta aswell. I don't know why people honestly expect these to run like Demo's when they are unfinished and unpolished builds.

Dimorphic

The first two days of the Halo 5 beta flat out didn't work for me yet the final release was smooth as butter. I'm not worried in that regard but gameplay wise I'll need to jump in and give this a go (it is D/L'ing and I am at work) to form an opinion.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Won't load for me :(

Just hangs after two tries to get past the title screen

Yea the team is investigating that one. Sorry for the inconvenience. Some players have found a "workaround", you can read about it in our support forum.

Just finished my placements with my buddy. We got Plat 3/4 but with the current player base I don't know if that really means anything considering most have probably never even played domination or a wars game. Still need way more playtime to determine what else can be improved.

Does creative ensembly/343 have a forum that we can post our feedback on? The last thing I want is this game to fail competitively.

Hey Barrel Cannon, we've got a dedicated Halo Wars 2 section in our forums, with dedicated feedback threads within.

HW2 Forum
Domination mode Feedback
UNSC Feedback
Banished Feedback
Beta Bug Report

You just need to sign in with your XBL gamertag to post.

Thanks for playing, and thanks for the feedback!

Hawk269

I kind of wish they would of supplied a bit more information about the game. I am curious who the other leaders will be, how many maps are they planning to have etc.

XenoRaven

Obviously people are going to have opinions and whatnot, but I'd hesitate to judge a strategy game after less than a day of playing against a population of people that clearly have no idea what they're doing.

Random17

Managed to play two games, with both ending prematurely due to the other team quitting/freezing, or myself quitting/freezing. Game seems really similar to the first one after 20 minutes of gameplay, although it looks like leader powers have been expanded on.

Very buggy.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
Outside of the issues the game has potential and I will purchase it. About 15 games in or so now starting to really enjoy it.

Hawk269

I have 2 Xbox One's in my home. My system is using the new preview dashboard and I have not been able to get into a game yet. I get a freeze when the star field with the Halo Wars 2 logo starts to play. If I am quick and hit the "B" button to skip, I get to the screen where the menu is suppose to load, but it just freezes. Did the Power Down and other tricks and it just wont play the game.

On my Wife's system, which is using the current non-preview dashboard, I have played about 12 games so far and no issues with starting a game. So something with the preview dashboard is causing serious issues.

I am liking the game, but definitely a lot of jank in the games performance, but I am not holding much against it because it is a beta. I actually do like have to manage 2 resources, it adds a bit more to the game. I loved and played 100's of hours of Halo Wars and while I loved it, it did seem a little restrictive, the added leader powers and the other resource seems welcomed to me.

I do think it is way too quick to get to the higher tier tech level's, Seems a little too fast. I also prefer the original's method of having to upgrade the units that adds more plating or firepower etc. I do however like some of the newer leader powers, especially the added turrets you can drop.

I think what is a shame is that there is no skirmish mode in the beta. I think giving peple the ability to play 1 on 1 against the AI would be good to help people get use to the new way things work.

Outside of that, it seems like a good mix of new things and familiar things added to the game. It is really a true beta like the title screen suggests, there are times when you are shooting and there are not bullets/rockets firing, even though you are doing damage. It does have some really good details on some of the units and when they are doing certain actions. Still seems like it needs a lot of work ,but based on what I play, I feel pretty good about where they are going with it.

Top Bottom